Start by marking “My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1)” as Want to Read:
My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1)

My Own Nightmare

(Shattered Lives #1)

One night a life changed. My life.

I used to write about chaos – about lives turning on a dime. Never once did I think it would ever happen to me. I went from a blossoming career to a prisoner in the span of a single evening. A living nightmare I was determined to escape.

The price of evil was high, but I wasn’t backing down. I knew in my heart the men in my life would be
Kindle Edition
Published November 26th 2016 by Barbara Shuler

Start your review of My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1)
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This book is defiantly not for the weak-minded. It has some graphic scenes about abuse and sexual abuse. I know that can bother some people.
Being a debut novel it was really good and I enjoyed this book.
World building was great and so were characters, there had a great development and a great backstory, so you knew what was going on.

You can find my full review here:
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
I was quickly drawn in to this story and couldn't put the book down. One more chapter turned in to staying up until 3:30 am, it was worth it. The story is deftly told from varying characters points of view which gives a broader picture of what is going on. There is plenty of suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat, strong, complex characters, and of course, romance. Definitely, worth reading.
Emily Maynard
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is no way I can be unbiased about this book, because my bff wrote it. I have been privy to the idea of this book from way back when it was half formed little piece of fanfic, up until the fully formed novel it is today. I helped edit it, rooted for it, and begged for a particular scene in it. I called Drew by Dean Winchester's name the entire time she was writing it, because Jackson and Drew are Sam and Dean in my head. I couldn't be prouder of her for making her dream come true.

Be ye
Lita Thomas
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1) by Barb Shuler Dani Lynn is a hometown famous author. While she at a book signing at her local high school she finds herself kidnapped by her best friend and PA’s adopted sister. I really enjoyed this book and the way in which the author told the story had me hooked from the beginning to the very end. This was my first time reading this author and by the time I finished reading this book I was so glad that there were 2 more books in the series to be read. A ...more
K.A. Graham
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1)
by Barb Shuler

4 stars

Received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the debut novel for new author Barb Shuler and it was absolutely everything. Drama, tragedy, loss and the epitome of what evil can do to a person. My mind is a mess of emotions and what a creepy ride I was taken on!

Dani Lynn had a good life, graduating college, and starting a career as a writer. She had some great friends and the love of her life beside her all
Spunky N Sassy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Tracy's Review~~~~~~~~~~~

I had always been nervous about my best friend's sister Nicole and there was a reason for it. I am an author who writes about chaos. During a celebration of my career and after announcing some personal news to my best friend. I made one mistake thinking I was safe. The horrors that I was facing and I knew I had to save myself but was I strong enough to save more than me? Even safe was I really? She changed me and that will never leave
Jodie Scott
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My own nightmare by Barb Shuler

WOW….. Just wow… What a ride this book has taken me on! I was hooked from page one and and wasn't putting it down for anything or anyone! The depth of detail and the intricacy of the storyline and characters were mind blowing and i wouldn't change a single part of it! It was very well planned out with many twists thrown your way that this author seems to be able to do for the fun of it! I could just imagine her sat there laughing as shit wrote this knowing her
Patricia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I sat down and started reading this book , thought I would read some and put it down and go about my day . Well I was mistaken , I read the book in one sitting . Supper was not made and laundry didn't get folded . I got very invested in this book. It sucked me in right from the get go . The author took me down a dark tunnel . What would you do if you were having the time of your life . You had a great writing career and a man who loved you unconditionally. That was Dani-lyn's life . She had a ...more
Cynthia
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is no doubt this grabs your attention from the start with this disturbing story about obsession, tragedy, drama, evil, lose, love and survival. The author knows how to spin a tale that keeps you on the edge of your seat with many twists and turns. I had a few drop down mouth moments as well as a few times I close my eyes to let it all sink in. It isn’t a story you want to read late at night home alone.

Dani has a good life just starting her career, with wonderful friends, the love of her
Nikki
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all have all had that feeling of being watched and maybe even of our nightmares becoming reality. Thankfully, rarely do our creepy crawlies turn into more than a bad dream. Unfortunately for Dani Lynn, her worst nightmares do in fact, become very real.

I had no idea what I was getting when I opened this book. Being new to Barb Shuler, I hoped that I would enjoy her style and the story would be entertaining. What I got was way more than I had hoped for. As I have said before, I don't generally
We Like them Dark **
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Dani Lynn! You poor girl. I have to admire how twisted this author can be! I’m laughing as I write hat because, it’s true! You have to be truly intelligent-and what a greater writer, to nail an amazing story that’s dark like this. This author did a wonderful job! I’m a sucker for all things criminal minds-esque and this was truly the definition of thriller.

As Dani is kidnapped and the clock is winding down to find her, the twists and turns that are thrown at you will leave you completely
Kaye
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ONE WICKED READ!!!
Oh, man. This was a tough one. I'm just gonna say right up front I'm a person who takes no prisoners and doesn't flinch in face of horror. I roll with it. This read totally caught me off guard. The scenes, characters, details was so realistic I could hear the hearts pounding. My attention was captured from the start. So many twists and turns and the surprises kept me frozen to my seat and my eyes only focus was the words on the page. I felt the fear, the overwhelming feeling of
Mindy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! I mean, wow. This was my first read by Barb Shuler and it was incredible. I'll admit that there were times the book kind of creeped me out but, not in a bad way. It was like sitting watching a Stephen King movie kind of creeped out. The characters in the story are strong and resilient even with as broken as some of them are. The crazies are really crazy and the asshats make me want to slap them every time they show up. There's danger, suspense, fear, love, hate, triumph, defeat, death and ...more
Amber
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 Stars
This book may have triggers for some readers. It has abuse and sexual abuse in it so viewer discretion. I thought this book had an interesting spin in it that I don't see too often in the suspense books I've read.
I enjoyed the different POV's from the characters. Even the abductors POV. I really liked Dani Lee and how strong she was to endure as long as she did. She wouldn't give up even though she wanted too. She knew she had to push herself and survive.
I did feel that the ending
Mindy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Momma Hellmouth
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-author
My Review of My Own Nightmare by Barb Shuler
My Rating 4 Stars
What a great journey this book took me on! An emotional story of how one woman goes from having it all to survival of the fittest. The plot twists within these pages had me reading it all in one sitting. The suspense, drama and all the angst made this a complete page turner with how it was flawlessly written. Barb is a new author for me and one I will watch from now on.
** I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of his book in
Charlotte Isaac
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-books
Wow, I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I started. Once I got further I was hooked to the story and wanting to know what happens.

I loved how strong Dani Lynn was in the end, she kept fighting and wanted to get out and still had hope all the way to the end. I loved how she wrote stories as well.

I loved Drew, and how strong he was, wouldn't give up on what he believed and wouldn't let anyone dissuade him. He was strong even when he found out the truth.

What amazing dark story. I cannot
Lynne
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised to find that this is Barb Shuler's debut novel. With a polished style of her own, I was immediately drawn into this book and read it in the space of one day.
I loved the characters- even her villains feel real and, like most true villains, didnt believe themselves to BE evil which makes their actions all the more chilling.
I enjoyed Dani Lynn, the main character and loved the others - all of whom I can't wait to learn more about.
Jill
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap, what a fantastic, dark, and twisted read. Dani Lynn is kidnapped and this is her story of trying to survive. I was on the edge of my seat, trying to flip through the pages as fast as possible. A really unique part of this story is that we get multiple POV's. It was so fascinating reading the POV of her abductors. There is definitely a trigger warning for some people since there is sexual and physical abuse.
I absolutely loved the twists to this story. A must read!!!
Patty
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an intense read. It didn't get real graphic on some sexual abuse but it was implied. Nicole kidnaps Dani Lynn and tortures her for 12 days. It has a twist at the end I did not see coming. That was shocking. There is an all out manhunt for her. Dani's boyfriend, Drew, his brother and her father are all in law enforcement. So they have all the resources needed to find her. They go from Texas to Oklahoma. This book keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Wendy Livingstone
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a debut novel from this author, and she is certainly going to be someone to watch out for in the future. This is the first novel in a series, and this is a gripping, and disturbing story about obsession, compulsion and love. I was hooked from the very beginning, and this storyline has it all; twists, drama, loss, and tragedy. I look forward to reading the next book in this series!
Darlene
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely not for the faint of heart, a story of rape, kidnapping and a psychopath. A page turner told through "the minds" of different characters made the twists and turns interesting. My only complaint is-although I love Dani Lynn and her will to survive and protect her baby- taking a xanax while pregnant-really? A great suspense novel that has left me sometime unsettled.
Mindy McCray
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow this book was amazing! This is the first title I have read by Barb Shuler and had no clue what I was getting into. But OMG, it's better than I ever thought! I loved the mystery, suspense, and dark aspect while a relationship is being tested. One word kept popping in my head while reading, PSHCHO!

I can't wait to read more of this series!
Wendy Bianco
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. Buckle up cuz this is one helluva read. I read this in one sitting. Yes, one sitting. I could not put this down. Dani Lynn is ripped from her life and endures a true nightmare. Follow her as she struggles to survive and hopefully return to her life before. The twists in this gave me whiplash and I loved it. If you like a good suspense novel, do not pass this one up.
Tracy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first read by this author and even though it's not my normal type of read I enjoyed the suspense. It had great characters and I liked that it told sections of the story from that characters point if view...i didn't want to put it down...i was somewhat disappointed in the end it seemed to be rushed bit otherwise a great read
**Elle**Bee**Double U**
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOD! (Said in my best Janice from Friends impersonation)

This book, I can't even begin to tell you how much I absolutely love a book that will keep me on my toes and keep me guessing all through the book.
I most certainly don't want to say too much about this book, because I worry I'll give away important details about the story. But trust me, you do not want to miss this story!
Tammie Browning
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a Must Read. I couldn't put it down. Now I have to read the series. This had suspense and left me guessing. I will re-read this one again. I don't want to give anything away so I will tell you this is about really bad things that happen to really good people. I would recommend this book for sure.
Michelle Lambert
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Can’t believe this is a debut!! I’m astonished by the depth, the twists and turns of this story! Dani Lynn and Drew are torn apart by a psycho! And that’s just the beginning! Murder and mayhem ensue! Warning! Graphic scenes with possible triggers!
AnnaMarie Gardner
Intense read

Wow this was a very intense and emotional book. I can't wait to read the second book too see how much more Dani, Drew and Derrick grow and adept to baby Tyler. This story was really moving.
Mona williams
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
omg i just loved this book it was a dark read for sure. its about a young woman kidnapped and held for 12 days until rescued by the love of her life. some of things she went through and saw just might turn your stomach. talk about one messed up person!
Barb is a Carolina Girl by right and a Texan by birth. By day she’s a desk jockey for a rural transportation company and a book lover - reading through as many books as she can. At night, though, she turns into alter ego, a writer. Cape, optional, depending on her mood.

Her stories are a mix of real life events, personal experiences and the craziness of her own imagination, and the imaginations of

Shattered Lives (6 books)
  • Somewhere I Belong (Shattered Lives #2)
  • Sparks of Deception (Shattered Lives #4)
  • Shatter Me Whole (Shattered Lives #3)
  • Living In Your Hell (Shattered Lives #5)
  • Edge of Danger (Shattered Lives, #6)