Start by marking “My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1)” as Want to Read:

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
One night a life changed. My life.

I used to write about chaos – about lives turning on a dime. Never once did I think it would ever happen to me. I went from a blossoming career to a prisoner in the span of a single evening. A living nightmare I was determined to escape.

The price of evil was high, but I wasn’t backing down. I knew in my heart the men in my life would be
Kindle Edition
Published November 26th 2016 by Barbara Shuler

To ask other readers questions about My Own Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Own Nightmare

SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
This book is defiantly not for the weak-minded. It has some graphic scenes about abuse and sexual abuse. I know that can bother some people.
Being a debut novel it was really good and I enjoyed this book.
World building was great and so were characters, there had a great development and a great backstory, so you knew what was going on.

You can find my full review here:
Emily Maynard
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is no way I can be unbiased about this book, because my bff wrote it. I have been privy to the idea of this book from way back when it was half formed little piece of fanfic, up until the fully formed novel it is today. I helped edit it, rooted for it, and begged for a particular scene in it. I called Drew by Dean Winchester's name the entire time she was writing it, because Jackson and Drew are Sam and Dean in my head. I couldn't be prouder of her for making her dream come true.

Be ye warn
Lita Thomas
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1) by Barb Shuler Dani Lynn is a hometown famous author. While she at a book signing at her local high school she finds herself kidnapped by her best friend and PA’s adopted sister. I really enjoyed this book and the way in which the author told the story had me hooked from the beginning to the very end. This was my first time reading this author and by the time I finished reading this book I was so glad that there were 2 more books in the series to be read. A ...more
Kelly
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
by Barb Shuler

☆☆☆4 stars☆☆☆

Received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the debut novel for new author Barb Shuler and it was absolutely everything. Drama, tragedy, loss and the epitome of what evil can do to a person. My mind is a mess of emotions and what a creepy ride I was taken on!

Dani Lynn had a good life, graduating college, and starting a career as a writer. She had some great friends and the love of her life beside her
Spunky N Sassy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Tracy's ★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~~

I had always been nervous about my best friend's sister Nicole and there was a reason for it. I am an author who writes about chaos. During a celebration of my career and after announcing some personal news to my best friend. I made one mistake thinking I was safe. The horrors that I was facing and I knew I had to save myself but was I strong enough to save more than me? Even safe was I really? She changed me and that will never l
Jodie Scott
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My own nightmare by Barb Shuler

WOW….. Just wow… What a ride this book has taken me on! I was hooked from page one and and wasn't putting it down for anything or anyone! The depth of detail and the intricacy of the storyline and characters were mind blowing and i wouldn't change a single part of it! It was very well planned out with many twists thrown your way that this author seems to be able to do for the fun of it! I could just imagine her sat there laughing as shit wrote this knowing her read
Nikki
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all have all had that feeling of being watched and maybe even of our nightmares becoming reality. Thankfully, rarely do our creepy crawlies turn into more than a bad dream. Unfortunately for Dani Lynn, her worst nightmares do in fact, become very real.

I had no idea what I was getting when I opened this book. Being new to Barb Shuler, I hoped that I would enjoy her style and the story would be entertaining. What I got was way more than I had hoped for. As I have said before, I don't generally
Mindy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I mean, wow. This was my first read by Barb Shuler and it was incredible. I'll admit that there were times the book kind of creeped me out but, not in a bad way. It was like sitting watching a Stephen King movie kind of creeped out. The characters in the story are strong and resilient even with as broken as some of them are. The crazies are really crazy and the asshats make me want to slap them every time they show up. There's danger, suspense, fear, love, hate, triumph, defeat, death and n ...more
Charlotte Isaac
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-books
Wow, I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I started. Once I got further I was hooked to the story and wanting to know what happens.

I loved how strong Dani Lynn was in the end, she kept fighting and wanted to get out and still had hope all the way to the end. I loved how she wrote stories as well.

I loved Drew, and how strong he was, wouldn't give up on what he believed and wouldn't let anyone dissuade him. He was strong even when he found out the truth.

What amazing dark story. I cannot w
Momma Hellmouth
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-author
My Review of My Own Nightmare by Barb Shuler
My Rating 4 Stars
What a great journey this book took me on! An emotional story of how one woman goes from having it all to survival of the fittest. The plot twists within these pages had me reading it all in one sitting. The suspense, drama and all the angst made this a complete page turner with how it was flawlessly written. Barb is a new author for me and one I will watch from now on.
** I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of his book in ex
Missy Harton
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a dangerously exciting debut work! Great detail and amazing dynamics! Look for my full review at Mommy's Naughty Playground
Books On Fire Tours
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping, but disturbing tale about obsession, compulsion and love. I loved this book, the writing and mostly the two main characters. Barb Shuler is definitely an Author we will be keeping a close eye on.
Kathy Wideman
This book was great. I was hooked from the minute I picked it up. Dani is an author and while at a book signing in her hometown her whole life changed. She had always been nervous around her best friend’s sister, Nicole. There was just something about her that put Dani on edge. Turns out she was right to be worried and nervous around Nicole. Dani knew should be scared but that she couldn’t back down. She had to survive. She knows the men in her life will be looking for her she just needs to hold ...more
Dolores
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: barb-shuler
I received this book to GIVE MY TRUE AND HONEST REVIEW

I'm honoured that I was one of Barb Shuler's first readers & I can honestly say that the first part of My Own Nightmare I didn't get straight into it so I did what I did, not to carry on reading it for that first day but early the next day I re-started again & I COULDN'T put it down and the intense suspense & the heart in mouth moments
I really enjoyed it & I think you might do also, as it's in the different characters scenario
Jo Dawson
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Own Nightmare is the debut novel by Barb Shuler, it’s the story of jealousy and deception in a small town. As a young woman, primed to take on the world, has been abducted, no one can determine who or why. When the truth is revealed, the story takes more trips down the unknown, but very dark, path. This tale of mystery drag family skeletons out of the closet shattering families.

This was a really good read, I look forward to more books by Ms. Shuler.
Annie
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Own Nightmare is a solid debut for budding novelist, Barb Shuler. The twists and turns in the plot kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat, I had to finish it all in one sitting. Plus, I think I need a Xanax after it is all said and done. At the very least a healthy swig of whiskey is in order. Holy crap! 4.5 Stars!
Jessica Garcia
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really was impressed with how talented the author writing is. I had this chance to read this book before it came out and must say, I really enjoyed it and look foward in reading more books that this author writes!
Jessica Mcbee
Dec 13, 2016
Dee
Apr 22, 2017
Vickie White
DNF @ 30%

Unfortunately I couldn't connect to the characters and the story didn't engage me enough to continue.

**Arc received courtesy of the Author in exchange for an honest review for WTMO**
Paula Shuler
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent first book! The characters and backstory are presented clearly and in great detail. The story is a bit slow to start but picks up quickly and never slows down! I didn't want to put the book down, so I read it in less than a day haha :)
Julie Reveles (ILST BLOG)
Feb 24, 2017
Ada
May 18, 2017
Bex 'n' Books
May 23, 2017
I’m a Carolina Girl by right and a Texan by birth. Best of both worlds. I have the brass sass to keep up with my Texas sized temper. Living and working in both states I’ve learned a lot about hard work, adapting to your surroundings and making the best of the path that you have been led down. My grandma Dollie once told me I would know what I was meant to do when it happened. She was right, as alw ...more
More about Barb Shuler...

Shattered Lives (3 books)
  • Somewhere I Belong (Shattered Lives #2)
  • Shatter Me Whole (Shattered Lives #3)