Start by marking “My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1)” as Want to Read:

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
One night a life changed. My life.

I used to write about chaos – about lives turning on a dime. Never once did I think it would ever happen to me. I went from a blossoming career to a prisoner in the span of a single evening. A living nightmare I was determined to escape.

The price of evil was high, but I wasn’t backing down. I knew in my heart the men in my life would be
Kindle Edition
Published November 26th 2016 by Barbara Shuler

SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This book is defiantly not for the weak-minded. It has some graphic scenes about abuse and sexual abuse. I know that can bother some people.
Being a debut novel it was really good and I enjoyed this book.
World building was great and so were characters, there had a great development and a great backstory, so you knew what was going on.

You can find my full review here:
Emily Maynard
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is no way I can be unbiased about this book, because my bff wrote it. I have been privy to the idea of this book from way back when it was half formed little piece of fanfic, up until the fully formed novel it is today. I helped edit it, rooted for it, and begged for a particular scene in it. I called Drew by Dean Winchester's name the entire time she was writing it, because Jackson and Drew are Sam and Dean in my head. I couldn't be prouder of her for making her dream come true.

Be ye warn
Lita Thomas
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Own Nightmare (Shattered Lives #1) by Barb Shuler Dani Lynn is a hometown famous author. While she at a book signing at her local high school she finds herself kidnapped by her best friend and PA’s adopted sister. I really enjoyed this book and the way in which the author told the story had me hooked from the beginning to the very end. This was my first time reading this author and by the time I finished reading this book I was so glad that there were 2 more books in the series to be read. A ...more
KA
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
by Barb Shuler

☆☆☆4 stars☆☆☆

Received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the debut novel for new author Barb Shuler and it was absolutely everything. Drama, tragedy, loss and the epitome of what evil can do to a person. My mind is a mess of emotions and what a creepy ride I was taken on!

Dani Lynn had a good life, graduating college, and starting a career as a writer. She had some great friends and the love of her life beside her
Spunky N Sassy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Tracy's ★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~~

I had always been nervous about my best friend's sister Nicole and there was a reason for it. I am an author who writes about chaos. During a celebration of my career and after announcing some personal news to my best friend. I made one mistake thinking I was safe. The horrors that I was facing and I knew I had to save myself but was I strong enough to save more than me? Even safe was I really? She changed me and that will never l
Jodie Scott
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My own nightmare by Barb Shuler

WOW….. Just wow… What a ride this book has taken me on! I was hooked from page one and and wasn't putting it down for anything or anyone! The depth of detail and the intricacy of the storyline and characters were mind blowing and i wouldn't change a single part of it! It was very well planned out with many twists thrown your way that this author seems to be able to do for the fun of it! I could just imagine her sat there laughing as shit wrote this knowing her read
Nikki
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all have all had that feeling of being watched and maybe even of our nightmares becoming reality. Thankfully, rarely do our creepy crawlies turn into more than a bad dream. Unfortunately for Dani Lynn, her worst nightmares do in fact, become very real.

I had no idea what I was getting when I opened this book. Being new to Barb Shuler, I hoped that I would enjoy her style and the story would be entertaining. What I got was way more than I had hoped for. As I have said before, I don't generally
Victoria
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Dani Lynn! You poor girl. I have to admire how twisted this author can be! I’m laughing as I write hat because, it’s true! You have to be truly intelligent-and what a greater writer, to nail an amazing story that’s dark like this. This author did a wonderful job! I’m a sucker for all things criminal minds-esque and this was truly the definition of thriller.

As Dani is kidnapped and the clock is winding down to find her, the twists and turns that are thrown at you will leave you completely baffled
Mindy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I mean, wow. This was my first read by Barb Shuler and it was incredible. I'll admit that there were times the book kind of creeped me out but, not in a bad way. It was like sitting watching a Stephen King movie kind of creeped out. The characters in the story are strong and resilient even with as broken as some of them are. The crazies are really crazy and the asshats make me want to slap them every time they show up. There's danger, suspense, fear, love, hate, triumph, defeat, death and n ...more
Charlotte Isaac
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-books
Wow, I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I started. Once I got further I was hooked to the story and wanting to know what happens.

I loved how strong Dani Lynn was in the end, she kept fighting and wanted to get out and still had hope all the way to the end. I loved how she wrote stories as well.

I loved Drew, and how strong he was, wouldn't give up on what he believed and wouldn't let anyone dissuade him. He was strong even when he found out the truth.

What amazing dark story. I cannot w
Momma Hellmouth
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-author
My Review of My Own Nightmare by Barb Shuler
My Rating 4 Stars
What a great journey this book took me on! An emotional story of how one woman goes from having it all to survival of the fittest. The plot twists within these pages had me reading it all in one sitting. The suspense, drama and all the angst made this a complete page turner with how it was flawlessly written. Barb is a new author for me and one I will watch from now on.
** I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of his book in ex
Patty
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an intense read. It didn't get real graphic on some sexual abuse but it was implied. Nicole kidnaps Dani Lynn and tortures her for 12 days. It has a twist at the end I did not see coming. That was shocking. There is an all out manhunt for her. Dani's boyfriend, Drew, his brother and her father are all in law enforcement. So they have all the resources needed to find her. They go from Texas to Oklahoma. This book keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Mindy Mccray
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow this book was amazing! This is the first title I have read by Barb Shuler and had no clue what I was getting into. But OMG, it's better than I ever thought! I loved the mystery, suspense, and dark aspect while a relationship is being tested. One word kept popping in my head while reading, PSHCHO!

I can't wait to read more of this series!
Wendy Livingstone
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a debut novel from this author, and she is certainly going to be someone to watch out for in the future. This is the first novel in a series, and this is a gripping, and disturbing story about obsession, compulsion and love. I was hooked from the very beginning, and this storyline has it all; twists, drama, loss, and tragedy. I look forward to reading the next book in this series!
Tracy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first read by this author and even though it's not my normal type of read I enjoyed the suspense. It had great characters and I liked that it told sections of the story from that characters point if view...i didn't want to put it down...i was somewhat disappointed in the end it seemed to be rushed bit otherwise a great read
Linda Branich
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review

Dark and menacing with a few surprise twists. A page- turner that gripped me from the first page. It is amazing how strong one can be to protect an unborn child from a psychopath
Gladys
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intense and twisty tale that keeps you on the edge of your seat. A dark story that is gritty, edgy, powerful and intense. A really good debut novel. I'm posting an honest review after reading an advance copy of this book.
Annamarie Gardner
Intense read

Wow this was a very intense and emotional book. I can't wait to read the second book too see how much more Dani, Drew and Derrick grow and adept to baby Tyler. This story was really moving.
Mona williams
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
omg i just loved this book it was a dark read for sure. its about a young woman kidnapped and held for 12 days until rescued by the love of her life. some of things she went through and saw just might turn your stomach. talk about one messed up person!
Michelle Lambert
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Can’t believe this is a debut!! I’m astonished by the depth, the twists and turns of this story! Dani Lynn and Drew are torn apart by a psycho! And that’s just the beginning! Murder and mayhem ensue! Warning! Graphic scenes with possible triggers!
Missy Harton
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a dangerously exciting debut work! Great detail and amazing dynamics! Look for my full review at Mommy's Naughty Playground
Books On Fire Tours
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping, but disturbing tale about obsession, compulsion and love. I loved this book, the writing and mostly the two main characters. Barb Shuler is definitely an Author we will be keeping a close eye on.
Sandra Carpenter
Read this book

I enjoyed reading this book...the author is my niece and I am very proud of her. If you love horror/suspense novels this is definitely for you.
Co
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For this to be the first book for this author to publish. All I can say is wow. It had a great storyline. This series are going to be worth reading. It just goes to show that you can't let your guard down. You always have to be aware of your surroundings. This book had me captivated all the way to the end just to see the outcome.
Kathy Wideman
This book was great. I was hooked from the minute I picked it up. Dani is an author and while at a book signing in her hometown her whole life changed. She had always been nervous around her best friend’s sister, Nicole. There was just something about her that put Dani on edge. Turns out she was right to be worried and nervous around Nicole. Dani knew should be scared but that she couldn’t back down. She had to survive. She knows the men in her life will be looking for her she just needs to hold ...more
Dolores
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: barb-shuler
I received this book to GIVE MY TRUE AND HONEST REVIEW

I'm honoured that I was one of Barb Shuler's first readers & I can honestly say that the first part of My Own Nightmare I didn't get straight into it so I did what I did, not to carry on reading it for that first day but early the next day I re-started again & I COULDN'T put it down and the intense suspense & the heart in mouth moments
I really enjoyed it & I think you might do also, as it's in the different characters scenario
Jo Dawson
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Own Nightmare is the debut novel by Barb Shuler, it’s the story of jealousy and deception in a small town. As a young woman, primed to take on the world, has been abducted, no one can determine who or why. When the truth is revealed, the story takes more trips down the unknown, but very dark, path. This tale of mystery drag family skeletons out of the closet shattering families.

This was a really good read, I look forward to more books by Ms. Shuler.
Annie
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Own Nightmare is a solid debut for budding novelist, Barb Shuler. The twists and turns in the plot kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat, I had to finish it all in one sitting. Plus, I think I need a Xanax after it is all said and done. At the very least a healthy swig of whiskey is in order. Holy crap! 4.5 Stars!
Jessica Garcia
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really was impressed with how talented the author writing is. I had this chance to read this book before it came out and must say, I really enjoyed it and look foward in reading more books that this author writes!
Jessica Mcbee
Dec 13, 2016
I’m a Carolina Girl by right and a Texan by birth. Best of both worlds. I have the brass sass to keep up with my Texas sized temper. Living and working in both states I’ve learned a lot about hard work, adapting to your surroundings and making the best of the path that you have been led down. My grandma Dollie once told me I would know what I was meant to do when it happened. She was right, as alw ...more
More about Barb Shuler...

Shattered Lives (3 books)
  • Somewhere I Belong (Shattered Lives #2)
  • Shatter Me Whole (Shattered Lives #3)