Start by marking “Silver Storm (Raveneau, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver Storm (Raveneau, #1)

Silver Storm

(Rakes & Rebels #1)

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B005DJ93EW.

Set in 1781, during the Revolutionary War, SILVER STORM is the passionate tale of Andre Raveneau and Devon Lindsay who are thrown together when she stows away on his privateer after the British burn her home in New London, CT. The irresistible Captain Raveneau agrees to take her to Virginia to find her childhood sweeth
Published July 19th 2011 (first published July 12th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Storm

Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I got my friend Minerva to buddy-read this with me, because the only thing better than bodice-rippers are bodice-rippers with friends. Also, the covers. Can we all take a moment to appreciate that cover? The original artwork, the banner font, the colors - I'm not sure who started the bizarre trend of replacing the original artwork with badly photoshopped covers for the Kindle edition, but they suck.

I originally tried reading SILVER STORM a
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
SPOILERS EVERYWHERE!!!

I'm not sure where to start with this. The beginning was fairly innocuous, detailing a couple years of Devon's adolescence and her fascination with André Raveneau, a privateer she sees around from time to time. Then when she's eighteen, they share a kiss in a carriage because... well, because she's innocent and tempting, that's why. And it was annoying when Raveneau was just so affected by this kiss even though he's been with several ladies before.

Shortly after this is when
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Johanna Lindsey, "sweet" bodice rippers
Recommended to Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince by: Lily Bart
So I started reading Silver Storm, and then putting it down; it was sweet, but sometimes too sweet and I have enough cavities. Then halfway through it changes in tone. Our previously gentleman hero does a 180 and turns into a lecherous jerk. It was great and I wanted more!

The first half involves a sensuous French privateer Andre Raveneau escorting orphaned Devon Lindsay to her fiance in Virginia at the end of the American Revolution. The girl is obviously not in love with her missing man, but de
Kristen
Solid 4 Stars
If you're in the mood for a good Bodice Ripper, you can't get much better than Silver Storm. It's an oldie but goodie.
Misfit
Check out the cover for this and compare to this, Love from the Ashes by Denise A. Agnew

The story begins in New London, Connecticut in 1775. Devon Lindsay and her childhood sweetheart have their lives mapped out, but all that is swept into the dust when she meets dashing French privateer Andre Raveneau. After the town is sacked by the Red Coats, she's *rescued* by one of Andre's crew members who dresses her as a boy and stows her away on ship (he's in it for the sex). Andre discovers her in the nick of time and...

You can pretty muc
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Well, my stars....what the hell is this?

I suppose it's an eye-opener in terms of women's lib, but that doesn't exactly make for a compelling, enjoyable read. Our heroine, Devon Lindsay, is a simpering 18-year-old woman-child with a crush on the overbearing misogynist "dashing" french privateer, Andre Raveneau. To say I didn't like either character would be a tragic understatement. Devon is the cliche; pouting, stomping her feet in indignation, crossing her arms, putting her nose in the air, etc.
Debbie DiFiore
I hate Bodice Rippers so why did I read it?

I have only myself to blame. It was definitely it's definitely old school. And he wasn't the greatest hero for sure. I liked Devon and he did love her at the end, even though he was a jerk for a lot of the book. I don't think he was faithful either but I only remember the part where he kissed and touched his former mistress while the heroine watched. That really sucked. And he almost hooked up with two other former lovers too. Just not what I want from
KatieV
Dec 07, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Listening to audio, which was ok if a bit monotone. It was cheaper than a usual audio, so I wasn’t complaining. Heroine is the old school foot-stompy spitfire always running blindly into trouble. I was still enjoying it though. Good, cheesy nostalgia.

DNFd because apparently this is a neutered version of the original. Nope, nope, nope. I understand authors likely feel pressure to do this, but still drives me batty, especially when it’s not explicitly stated that the book has been neutered. I can’
LuvGirl
This was an interesting read with a few problems. The book started off with a bang. Andre our hero is simple delicious. His sex appeal is potent. After all, it’s rare that you find a book with two friends genuinely in love with the hero. I was eating it up! The story started to become a bit too predictably after a while though, and although the heroine’s fiancé made things entertaining, he wasn’t nearly a good enough rival for Andre. It would have been more interesting if he had giving Andre a r ...more
Debby "Piene Raven"
Don't believe I've ever read anything about this author so it would be my first time. I thought the story started off a bit slow detailing her adolescent years and first coming face to face with Raveneau. There, at 13 years she is captivated by a man nearly 30 years of age. Hmmm go figure. Then the story moves on and now she is 18 years to his what???not sure. They eventually share a kiss and when she turns 19 years they start a relationship.

Not sure about his fascination for her but it is under
Dawn
I have a few problems with this book.First of all the justifications for the actions the characters make are weak. There is no logical reason why either of these characters would act or speak in the manner they do. The writer also does not get into the head of the male character enough which leaves his character flat and shallow. The female is stupid and childish, I cared little for her. I gave it two stars because I was interested in knowing the outcome, so I suppose that means something. I wou ...more
Carol Storm
Cute colonial romance -- Andre Raveneau is one sexy pirate, and Devon Lindsay is an adorable heroine!
Sharon
Rating 4.75
Revolutionary War Era
Some tones of BR situations between H and h
Currently listed FREE on Amazon Kindle as is 2nd in this series CAROLYN

Great writing. This story kept me thoroughly entertained the night I started it until 4:00 a.m. I chuckled and at times laughed out loud thru every chapter in the first 3/4's of this book.

The feisty little wild child heroine was wonderful. There's a scene when she is overcome with her outrage at the Hero and quickly jumps up on a chair so she can get r
Bambi Unbridled
I was stoked to find this old bodice ripper for free on Amazon with audible narration available for a discount rate. Unfortunately, I wish I hadn't spent my money on this one. The writing was extremely juvenile to me and wholly lacking the maturity I would expect from a 38 y/o hero and a historical heroine over the age of 18. Set during the time of the Revolutionary War, there is a lot of room for action and world building... but both were severely lacking in this story. When you think you are a ...more
Regan Walker
A Privateer Rogue and a Young Innocent: Superb Storytelling in this 18th Century Romance!

First in the Raveneau series, this wonderful story is set in the late 18th century, mostly in the waters off the coast of America in the time of the Revolutionary War when the French were allied with America in fighting off the British and the privateers were an important part of the young country's defenses.

Young Devon Lindsey grew up in in New London, Connecticut and dreamed of adventures at sea borrowed f
Kate
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skip-it
I give this book 2 stars because I at least finished it. It is not well written. I am just perplexed by the reviews given this book stating how well written it is! Yes, the plot had promise, but the dialogue is stilted and...juvenile, for lack of a better word. I think a 7th grade creative writing assignment could potentially contain better dialogue. The formulaic plot was easy to predict, but could have made for a really great book nonetheless with better dialogue, MUCH stronger character devel ...more
Cat
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The main character can be completely frustrating: she is naive and believes she knows everything. As the story progresses, one would believe that she is maturing and learning, but no. Both of the main characters are true to their personalities until the end, with Andre bending slightly to his new life.

I was relieved at the way some of the plot lines ended (very little death/bloodshed) and happy to hear how some things were wrapped up so nicely, it was like the author tied a bow on it.

This book d
Zoe
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just realized this book is older than me.
sweetheart I mean no disrespect, but you are one horrible little book.
idiotic heroine, doesn't know her feelings, fight the hero unnecessarily. I guess the writer thought picking a fight meant courage? I was so blinded by my irritation at the heroine to notice whether the writing was any good. it probably wasn't horrible. maybe this kind of style was popular then. this heroine is annoying and stupid. ahhh I am so frustrated by this heroine. I didn't no
J. Kahele
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The British are coming!

I always wanted to say that! When the British attack New London, Devon finds herself homeless as they attack and burn down the town. A man finds her and offers to help sneaking her onto a ship. It's when she meets Andre a handsome furiously intimidating man. What happens next? You will have to read to find out.
Netanella
I wanted an "oldie but a goodie". Instead, I got a self-entitled, whiney 18-year-old brat who should have been thrown overboard after her umpteenth temper tantrum. And Raveneau, our heroic captain, twitches his lips at her antics. Standard response.

I stopped reading at about 30%. Couldn't take it anymore. DNF, unfortunately.
Kay Bolton
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Shelves: kindle-downloads
Actually, I loved it.

The dangerous sparks that flew between Andre and Devon, all brought about by chemistry.

Admittedly, he was a bit of a bounder, but then again Devon seemed to behave just as badly. Possibly should could be forgiven just a bit of that, as she was so young and had been through quite a bit.

Lovely twist towards the end when she finds out about how her Mother died (no point asking, I'm not giving you a spoiler!). It's amazing that what you think you want, and what you end up with
Gabriela Ortiz
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of her novels. This series is beautiful. Although Devon can get on your nerves, she is young and there was a war going on. The age difference of course was a bit of a problem I guess. But I loved the history background of the revolution. Fell in love with Andre. Devon turns into this beautiful woman and mother as the series continues. I've read this novel about 4 times.
Lorelle
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to read a really good BR
Recommended to Lorelle by: Lilly Bart
The Pirate Andre Raveneau was such a fun character to read about. I was totally involved in reading this book and enjoyed every minute of it. This book typifies why I love reading BR's from the 70' and 80's and makes it worth being seen in public with these lusty book covers.
S. Wideman
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish this book. I wanted to reach through and smack the heroine. And the hero. I only read far enough to find out what happened to Morgan and then I quit.

Our heroine, Devan, is too stupid to live. In a romance novel where we are supposed to sigh and swoon over the love between the hero and the heroine, all I saw was how unfaithful Devan could be. She had more crushes and love interests in the first half of the book then I thought possible in a romance. Not to mention every guy she
April
This is one of those books that I kept reading in-spite of disliking many aspects. I generally enjoy Historical reads, this is unique because it is set during the American Revolution. It has a great mix of true history in this action packed fiction.

The main problem I have with this book is the immaturity of the main character, Devon. It is only slightly more annoying than the overbearing attitude of the male lead Andre. I hate to compare books but this feels like 50 Shades during the Revolution,
Kath
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author....5 stars easily given. I just loved this swashbuckling passionate romance.
The story was very well written and kept me turning the page. I have not put this book down. Andre and Devon a match made in heaven two very strong characters dominated the story. I wanted to hit Andre at times for his high handed attitude, but most of the time Devon stood up to him. A thrilling adventure, exciting, and so emotional at times, had me near to tears. The passion just sizzled. Th
Elis Madison
Swashbuckling, check. Adventure on the high seas, check. Actual history (American Revolution), check. If not for a few writing issues (too much telling and passive tense, keeping the reader from connecting emotionally with the characters at times) and the fact that the "friction" between the characters seemed ridiculous at times, this could've entered five-star territory. Still a good enough read I bought the rest of the series.
Candace
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
André is the captain of the Black Eagle, a privateer ship. Devon is the daughter of a deceased sea captain. She sneaks on board the Black Eagle following a battle against the British. André soon discovers her. Neither admit their attraction to each other. Devon knows there is no future with André. He has a cynical view of women. Can they let go of their past to embrace the future? Will the war drag them further apart?
Michelle
Not bad, not bad. Came for the pirates, stayed for the romance. What? I can't help that I'm a marshmallow inside. Shut up.

This book combines things I love. The Revolutionary War. A fiesty heroine. A strong male with a soft side hidden deep inside. Pirate ships. Battles. And the HEA wrapped up with a bow. I know this makes me cheesy, but I don't care.

Three stars. I'll read the next one.
Zøe Haslie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!

Review over here!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Unapologetic Roma...: Wright, Cynthia // Silver Storm 21 45 Sep 02, 2017 07:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Same Author? 3 26 Dec 26, 2016 09:14AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Oct 01, 2015 11:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: silver storm - cynthia wright 7 17 Jun 07, 2014 03:56AM

• Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1)
  • My Lady Vixen
  • The Impostor Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #3)
  • Captured
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Tell Me Lies
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Simon's Lady
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Pirate's Bride (Liberty's Ladies #1)
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #6)
Cynthia Wright is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the two Rakes & Rebels series, 11 intertwining historical romances starring the irresistible Raveneau & Beauvisage families. She has also written beloved series set during the Renaissance and in the American West. Romantic Times Magazine hails Cynthia's novels as "Romance the way it was meant to be."

Cynthia’s newest n

Rakes & Rebels (9 books)
  • Caroline (Beauvisage, #1)
  • Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2)
  • Spring Fires (Beauvisage, #3)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Rakes & Rebels: The Raveneau Family Book 2)
  • Surrender the Stars (Raveneau #2)
  • Her Dangerous Viscount (Beauvisage, #4)
  • Silver Sea (Raveneau #3)
  • Tempest (Raveneau #4)
“All the tears in the world can't bring back the dead or wash away your fears and grief. I want you to put up your chin and tell yourself you are strong. And if you begin to weaken, hold on to me. That's what I am here for.” 12 likes
“Chapter 1 New London, Connecticut April 20, 1775   The afternoon sun hung high above the tiny Linen and Pewter Shop, hinting at the summer to come, while inside the narrow building the heat was exaggerated by quiet. There had only been two customers all day.” 0 likes