Start by marking “The Worth of a King (The Fall of a Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Worth of a King (The Fall of a Star, #1)

The Worth of a King

(The Fall of a Star #1)

Princess Obsidia’s father was killed the night she was born. Since there was no male heir, the crown went to the man who killed him, by Dialcian law. This never bothered her, growing up, and when it comes time for Obsidia to choose her husband, she chooses Prince Delaney, the son of that man, with little hesitation. Only then does her life start crumbling around her.

Adri
Published October 9th 2018 by Independently published (first published August 27th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Worth of a King, please sign up.
Kendra Ardnek As of the moment, they're still both in the early stages of writing, though this book does stand solidly on its own + a few of the characters also app…moreAs of the moment, they're still both in the early stages of writing, though this book does stand solidly on its own + a few of the characters also appear in the Rizkaland Legends!(less)

Start your review of The Worth of a King (The Fall of a Star, #1)
Aria
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although this is the third book I’ve read by Kendra, she never ceases to amaze me with her epic world building skills. And I do mean epic.

I’ve read many great fantasy books. Narnia, LOTR, Watership Down, and Redwall to name a few. The Worth of a King and Kendra’s two Rizkaland books take their place among my favorites. In fact, I put them right next to Narnia.

What makes her books so great is that they take great pieces of fantasy and combine it with enough reality to make it plenty relatable. T
Gabrielle
Mar 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
WOAH. That cover tho.

I gotta get this one for that drool-worthy cover if nothing else. XD
S.G. Willoughby
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have no idea what I think about this book. XD It was fun. I LOVED the world building. The world building was my favorite part . . . the creativity, cultures, and the way the author did the theology was fascinating.

However, the biggest thing that threw me off was the pacing. It took me a while to put a finger on it, it wasn't that obvious, but events seemed too sped up. I think the book could have been three times longer to fit everything. Obviously, that would have made for a very long book, b
Deborah O'Carroll
(Originally posted on my book blog, here.)

SQUEE! This was a really enjoyable book. :D

Things I loved

+ Delaney! Of course he had to be at the top of this list. I LOVE THIS BOY. He’s fantastic. I don’t want to give away any of the plot, but the way he does all the awesomeness, and is also sweet, and stands firm on the right things when everything is conspiring against him—basically, I’m a fan. :D

+ Winged Horses! Okay, I really want one of these. They were awesome.

+ The world, the “feel,” and jus
THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK, Y'ALL. If you haven't read, or at least bought, The Worth of a King, you need to change that right this minute. Go ahead. You can pick it up on Kindle here. If you really want to the paperback . . . well, you'll have to wait a little for that, but still.

Ok. I should probably try to be serious, 'cause this book is seriously amazing. I didn't really think Kendra would top Lady Dragon, Tela Du anytime soon — eventually, sure, but not with the very next full-length novel sh
Katherine M
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling, creative fantasy

Princess Obsidia has spent her life as a pawn of the man who killed her father the night of her birth. As the dragons and humans battle over their world's future, Obsidia's choices determine the course of the war.
Loved the characters and their conflicts, and the creativity of the world. I will definitely be reading more by this author!
Keturah Lamb
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to give it 4.5 stars but don't know how to do that ;/

This book surprised me, and pleasantly so.

I'd heard at one time Jack was co-writing this book. I'm sad she wasn't able to finish doing so (she and Kendra would have made an AMAZING team). But even so, Kendra did awesome!

The romance was great — not too much, yet sweet and cute and unique. Loved the many unique cultures Kendra built. Loved her characters, loved the setting, loved the traditions. And Kendra wove in theme so artfully! And S
Chloe
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a little late with this (thankyouthankyouthankyou Kendra for being so patient with me!), but it is still within the first week of Worth's release, and I have a review for y'all!

Blurb:

Helena
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story. It wrapped up the main plot nicely while leaving some deeper plot points open for prequels/sequels. It can be read as a stand alone without being disappointing. There are some religious overtones, but they are not preachy, more inline with the maturing of the FMC.
Camille Esther
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story! It was a complicated setup, but the author does a great job not bogging down the reader with everything at once. The world felt real, even though the laws of physics were different; and the different customs in the different kingdoms really made the land seem large.

I also liked that the author kept everything squeaky clean, while at the same time expertly and delicately referring to adult topics when the occasion required.

The only thing that annoyed me about this boo
Erika Mathews
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-cover
Packed with vivid characters, plot twists, dragons, and intrigue, The Worth of a King fascinates the reader with a unified blend of theme depth and imaginative fantasy in a memorable journey for both characters and readers.

I had the privilege of beta reading/editing this book, and it is indeed a "worth"-while title for your bookshelf. Characters, drama, intrigue, plot depth - this book has it all.

First, can we take a moment to once again admire THAT COVER? Alea Harper did an amazing job and capt
Brie Donning
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book while it was still in rough form, then again later in development, and finally the finished version and I'm friends with Kendra, so I can't deny that I'm writing from a biased perspective. Still, I think it's one of Kendra's best books. Not quite my favourite as few things can surpass the delightful twistiness of Lady Dragon, Tela Du. I thoroughly enjoyed it however, and There is no way I can choose a favourite character.

There's Princess Nadilynn, a chatterbox who can chee
Katelyn
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
the. blushing. is. too. much.

the. happiness. is. too. much.

the. complex. is. too. much.

the. romance. is. wrong.

the. death. is. wrong.

the. conflict. is. wrong.

i. want. anger. (that. makes. SENSE.)

i. want. tears.

i. want. imperfections.

i. want. explanations.

i. need. connections.
Patience
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best writing Kendra Ardnek has done yet!
Leia Rose
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF 71 %

I hadn't gone far into this before I started wanting to quit. I really wanted to like it though, so I kept going.

There's some good points about this book. A lot of the ideas and arcs that are going on are interesting. I like that there's not just one culture but two. I feel like there's some rich history and worldbuilding tucked in here. It leaves a lot of room to really grow a world and a series. I though there was a nice amount of characters that are pretty well-developed. It's not a b
Rachel Rizzuto
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bata-read
This book was not what I usually read, but it was really good! I liked the three main characters. I didn't really like the setting of the book. All the siblings made me laugh, with their long talks and arguments. The book was fantastic!
Morgan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I still like Rizkaland better, but I did enjoy this book. I loved the characters, particularly Del and Sidi, it was nice to see pre-Dragon Amber, and overall, it was a pretty enjoyable read.

The worldbuilding in this thing is...just wow. So much detail was put into the different cultures. Such strange laws and traditions. The Zovordians were particularly interesting, though I personally would not be interested in being one of them. Secret identities are a way of life among them, and their sk
Jolyn
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed Adrian, Obsidia and Delaney's story

I enjoyed the story of twins Adrian and Obsidia discovering they were twins and then having to figure out what to do to save the kingdom. I also really liked Delaney. He was my favorite character in the book and I was rooting for him to somehow end up with Obsidia. However I had a hard time following the doorkeeper/time travel/other dimension stuff and there were some parts that were very confused from a religious perspective, primarily with regards to
Maricel
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought I was reading a narration the whole time because all characters seemed to be apathetic. Oh, they talk about their feelings all the time but it felt distant-as if marrying somebody is just a fact of life and that marrying your friend is better than marrying someone else. They throw away 'i love you's' just as emotionless as saying good morning. It's hard to invest to characters like that. All of them seemed one dimensional and have no sense of adventure or daring. They just go with the ...more
Nicole Moses
Good story, needs a bit of editing.

I enjoyed the story, but it needed some editing, both for grammar/typos and clarity. I was so confused by the laws at the beginning of the book. It would have been nice for those to be laid out a bit more clearly. That did get a bit better as the story continued though, but it was frustrating.
Michelle Kosel
May 03, 2019
The Rizkaland Leg...: The Worth of a King 2 7 Feb 10, 2019 10:04AM

• Fawkes
  • Romanov
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • A Marriage of Convenience in the Show Me State (Cowboy Crossing Western Sweet Romance Book 5)
  • Sweet Kisses Box Set
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Between Sundays
  • Exodus Rising (Tales of Starlight, #3)
  • Oceans Apart
  • The Rag and Bone Shop
  • All Night Awake (Shakespearean Fantasies, #2)
  • Timeless Passion
  • The Princess Trials (The Princess Trials, #1)
  • Gilt Hollow
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Chasing God
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
Kendra E. Ardnek is the self-proclaimed Arista of Fairy Tales. She lives in the Piney Woods of East Texas with her dragon babies and massive herd of mini-giraffes, and she is still waiting for one of of her fifty nutcrackers to come to life and marry her. When not writing, you can usually find her sitting in a random box, and she’s frequently known to act before she thinks.

The Fall of a Star (3 books)
  • The Cost of a Queen (The Fall of a Star, #2)
  • The Song of a Dragon (The Fall of a Star, #3)