Start by marking “Devil's Due (Destroyermen, #12)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Due (Destroyermen, #12)

Devil's Due

(Destroyermen #12)

New York Times bestselling author Taylor Anderson continues the thrilling Destroyermen series of alternate history and military strategy, as the conflict is about to become terrifyingly personal....

Captain Matt Reddy and the crew of the USS Walker have been fighting for their lives ever since their ship was swept from the Pacific to another world and they became embroiled
Published June 13th 2017 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Due, please sign up.
Silvia Anderson I expect it'll be next Spring or Summer. The publisher has me on what is basically a "one a year" schedule but frankly, I really can't write them any…moreI expect it'll be next Spring or Summer. The publisher has me on what is basically a "one a year" schedule but frankly, I really can't write them any faster so it's probably for the best. The first three came out over a little more than a year--and it nearly killed me!
Take care,
Taylor(less)

Wess Rodgers
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Devil’s Due” is the 12th volume in The Destroyermen epic, and is absolutely true to its ancestry. Many “alternate history” books and series are centered on either how cool it would be if we could go back to year Y with modern technology T, or on what history might look like if a single event had not happened as it did. Taylor Anderson has cast The Destroyermen in a different paradigm.

You know all those extinction events that led to massive changes in the flora and fauna of Terra? Well, what mi
Aaron Anderson
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. It is starting to fall into some of the same traps of long series though.

It's covering so wide an area of two (or four) different wars, so many different plotlines and characters, it's getting very complicated. I still enjoyed it, but I don't think I remember a ton of the more minor characters from prior books when they come into this one.
Kathy Davie
Twelfth in the Destroyermen military science fiction series that takes place in an alternate plane and revolving around an American destroyer that passed through a time warp during World War II.

My Take
Ya gotta love Sandra for her bravery and outspokenness when she confronts Kurokawa. Scary, but brave. She's the epitome of what the story, the series, is about — good versus evil. Now, Dennis Silva, could be considered the epitome of how Anderson livens up the contrast between the virtue and the vi
Donna
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
This book is the 12th book in the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. I've read them all and it has been a fun series. It is 'alternate history' and 'war', which are two genres I don't gravitate towards but this series has been exceptional for two reasons.

One reason is the narrator of the audiobook. William Dufris does a fabulous job with all of the characters, even the non-human characters. There are so many different accents and none of them feel phony.....comical maybe, but not phony.

The
Daniel Shellenbarger
Sean Smart
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
T.M.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic installment

Enjoyed this one thoroughly, and kept my attention throughout. Glad to see at least one of their long-time antagonists get what he deserved. Lots of action as always, and only thing I would have enjoyed was a bit more anticipated peril near the end (seemed like things went way easier than usual). Still a great read and looking forward to the next one.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Taylor Anderson continues to thrill and entertain in this series which, somehow, maintains its quality of storytelling and ability to hold our interest. Our poor Destroyermen and their allies are being thrown from one perilous situation to the next, sometimes with tragic results (because he doesn't pull his punches).
If you haven't started the series and you like a bit of boy's own (with naval technical jargon) then this is for you.
James
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Battle for Zanzibar

I have read all 12 of the destroyer man books. All of them have been excellent reads. This one was no exception . I really enjoy reading about the exploits of Captain Reddy and the USS Walker. This is as good as any alternate history stories go.
I really like the way you the author develops the characters in the stories. It's like I really know these people and feel their pain and joy. I look forward to the next novel coming out in July. If you are new to theses stories I woul
Marv
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A twelve-page Cast of Characters, an eight-page list of equipment Specifications (ships, aircraft and ordnance), a couple maps and a couple pages of Recognition Silhouettes, and epic battles -- Anderson's annual alternate-world-war slugfest is as satisfying as ever. With multiple enemies and multiple allies, his plot and alternate-world building is right up to snuff. There are more than enough good guys and bad guys for everyone. Run up the battle flags and carry on!
Ryan Rauber
Let me say, I love this series. Read from the beginning, and I look forward to the single release each year. As I've stated in recent reviews of this series, Anderson has done TOO good a job of world building. One book a year can't possibly update all he has going on in this alternate universe. This book focuses on the war in the west with the Grik, with only brief updates about the East and the Dominion. The series though is starting to get a little formulaic. First half with updates and info o ...more
Sim
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're reading this then you must enjoy Anderson's Destroyermen series. This is book 12 and is suspenseful and intriguing. If you don't know the series start with the first book "Into the Storm." This book is excellent and a must read. Can't wait for the follow-up!!!
Andreas
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Destroyermen series continues. This installment focuses on the African front, as the Alliance, with new friends, prepares to assault the Grik heartland. Kurokawa still remains on Zanzibar, however, and must be dealt with.

The scope of the series is becoming worryingly broad, but Mr. Anderson seems to have decided to focus on one war at a time, as it were. This allows the reader to focus on one campaign without constant and jarring flipping back and forth. The series shows no signs of slowing
Alex Shrugged
Devil's Due is Book 12 of the Destroyerman series. In contrast to book 11, it's a home run. There is a lot of action. One of the main threads of the story is wrapped up... mostly. No additional threads are introduced, but the existing ones do mature. (view spoiler)

Background on the series: It is the continuing saga of a World War I destroyer which
Martha
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series! My rating 4.5.

I was happy to be back in this alternate world with Captain Matt Reddy and his brave WWII American crew and new allies. The Alliance forces are spread out facing different enemies. In the last book, Captain Reddy’s wife, Sandra, and a handful of Alliance officials, were kidnapped by the mysterious League of Tripoli. They were turned over to become prisoners of the arch enemy, Japanese General Kurokawa, who has allied with the enemy Gik.

Reddy is sure they
Mayank GO
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
In terms of action and military strategies adding to the twists and turns of the story - no complains and this is a good addition. But lots of signs of this novel, and series, being aimed solely towards American readers - to the point that every other nationality, and any practice not followed in US is made fun of. Biggest example being author making mocking the metric system as much as breaking the flow of the story to put those jabs in. Thinking back about the previous books, there is a lot of ...more
David
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a ride!

I raced through the whole twelve books in a few weeks and would still be reading if there were more books in the series yet.
Talk about not being able to put down a good book. I couldn't put down a dozen of 'em.

I planned to start reading the series for a couple of years but the premise didn't seem too exciting. Americans joining cute furry monkeys in a war against cold reptilian Dinos who in turn are supported by the Japs. Sounded too black and white, good guys vs. bad guys too
RJ
Captain Reddy and the crew of the USS Walker are still up to their eyeballs in Grik. A new adversary, the League of Tripoli, composed of Italians, French, and Germans have made themselves known and allied with the madman Kurokawa. The League also brings with them new ships and airplanes; Italian made Messerschmitts no less and a deadly battleship named Savoy. Captain Reddy’s wife Sandra, Adair, Gunny Horn, and several others have been taken captive by the League and turned over to Kurokawa. Our ...more
Robin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Continues the story of the Destroyermen suitable well. This was a long book with a lot of build up to an exciting climax. I like that the characters are well developed and that we get to spend a decent amount of time in the various story lines, but there is just so much going on now that this series has gone global. We seem to be moving towards the big battle with the Dominion. Would like to see more on the New United States and the League. Figure there's at least another 5-6 books alone with ju ...more
Bob Lamothe
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Matt Ready, Dennis Silva, and the crew of USS Walker, DD163, storm into action against the Grik, Kurakowa, and the League of Tripoli.

When Blood in the Water ends, the Grand Alliance has secured Madagascar at a great cost. Many dead and wounded had been loaded into the SS America only to be murdered by the League when Savoy boards America, captures Chairman Adar and Matt's wife Sandra and then sinks America. The League then turns over Sandra and Adar to the mad Japanese Captain Kurakowa along wi
Mark
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this, but I think this series has gone on long enough.

The Captain Ready/alliance scores a large victory against Kirakawa and all that he commands and kills him. No more Kirakawa. The dominion is still a problem and "the league" is being made out to be a very big bad in terms of their ability to bring firepower to a fight. Sandra Ready is rescued, the Grik are planning a major counter-attack, but the alliance captures Savoy in this book. Can they make it ready to bring it into a fight. W
Sonny
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
25 days to read one book. That may be a record for me. It started out kind of slow and it was hard for me to get interested until about 2/3 of the way through. Then the pace picked up some. I'm not sure but I think this is the 12th or 13th book in the series and it may be the end of the war, for me anyway.
So many task forces, ships, armies and individuals splitting off that it is becoming very hard to keep up with who is where and what they are doing against numerous enemies or with various alli
Johnny
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books builds up slowly to the action and I found myself struggling through all the details that builds the world of the destroyermen. Perhaps the details help with building the overall image of the struggle, but if you have read the other books it gets a little redundant. So why the five stars? Because it is still a good adventure story... perhaps an adventure story that reads like a technical manual... but still a very good read!
Kristoffer
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I love this series but found this book to be a bit of a low point for it. It was still enjoyable, but the book barely focused on anything other than the plot lines involving Matt and his wife. So much that was built upon in the past books was completely ignored for this book. I enjoyed the story but wanted to know what was going on with the other destroyermen. The book had an ending that I won't reveal but that I can say I found to be promising for what is next.
Warren
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whose Devil is Due?

LCDR Reddy and the WALKER continue to expend their nine lives, each more extravagant than the last.  Reddy and the Alliance get rid of one foe, only to garner another.  This new foe is possibly more dangerous than any of the others.  Of course the Grik, the Doms are still formidable foes, but things seem to be moving in the right direction.  How the author wraps it all up in a bow without killing off anymore principle characters will be interesting.
Nathan
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Much better read, after seemingly indeterminable setbacks and more and more enemies popping up in previous books, this volume returns the series to an enjoyable alternate history/naval story. Finally some sense of progress as the tactics/materiel/machinery advantages pay off, but there is still much to come. I feel the series was veering off track previously and has only just got me back on board - looking forward to the next chapter...
Nathaniel
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history, sci-fi
I don't really see much point in writing a detailed review of the 12th book in a series. I mean, it's awesome. That's why I keep reading them!

I'm surprised that Anderson is able to keep my interest for this long but--for me--he's making all the right choices. The scope of the story has gotten huge, but he appears to slowing down the scope-increase and running with what he's got (which is plenty) and I like that!
Joe
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW, a LOT happens in this one! I won't give spoilers, but remember the Alliance is now heavily involved with the Grik (of course), trying to chase down Don Hernan plus they true nature of the League becomes more obvious between the Savoie sinking the hospital ship in the last book with the paltry excuse that they've given the ship AND the hostages directly to Kurokawa- NOT the act of a neutral party...
Michael Rutkowski
Great, great book !This is the 12th book in this series and in my opinion the best one so far ! Total military action from start to finish and not as much tiresome setting up of such action ! Some very important conclusions and satisfying resolutions at the end of this book but still leading to some major conflicts in the next book ! Can't wait !
Steven Bragg
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easily the best book in the series, with massive amounts of action from start to finish. I still can't get over the occasional stilted dialog, though. On the downside, the author is running out of large parts of the planet in which to have battles - kind of looks like he'll finish it in Europe, coming full circle from the WWII start of the series, perhaps?
  • The Alexander Inheritance
  • Terrible Swift Sword (Lost Regiment, #3)
  • Liberty: 1784
  • 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Crusade (Destroyermen, #2)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)