Start by marking “Seven Stones to Stand or Fall (Outlander 0.5, 7.5 & 8.5)” as Want to Read:
Seven Stones to Stand or Fall (Outlander 0.5, 7.5 & 8.5)

Seven Stones to Stand or Fall

(Outlander #0.5, 7.5 & 8.5)

A collection of seven short stories set in the Outlander universe, never before published together, including two original stories.

This riveting, romantic collection includes "Besieged" (original novella), "A Fugitive Green" (original novella), "Virgins," "The Space Between," "Lord John and the Plague of Zombies," "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows," and "The Custom of the
Published June 27th 2017 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Seven Stones to Stand or Fall, please sign up.
Jules Timeline order of Outlander stories & books

1740 “Virgins” (novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall & Dangerous Women anthology)

1741-43 “A Leaf on the…more
Timeline order of Outlander stories & books

1741-43 “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows” (novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall, Songs of Love & Death anthology; also published in UK in A Trail of Fire)

1743 “Outlander” (#1)

1744-45 “Dragonfly in Amber” (#2)

1744-45 “Fugitive Green” (novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall)

1746-65 “Voyager” (#3)

1756 “Lord John and the Hellfire Club” (novella in Lord John and the Hand of Devils)

1757 “Lord John and the Private Matter” (novel)

1758 “Lord John and the Succubus” (novella in Lord John and the Hand of Devils)

1759 “Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade” (novel)

1759 “Lord John and the Haunted Soldier” (novella in Lord John and the Hand of Devils)

1759 “Lord John and the Custom of the Army” (novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall, Warriors anthology; also published in UK in A Trail of Fire)

1760 “The Scottish Prisoner” (novel)

1761 “Lord John and the Plague of Zombies” (novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall, Down These Strange Streets anthology; also published in UK in A Trail of Fire)

1762 “Besieged”(novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall)

1767-1770 “Drums of Autumn” (#4)

1770-1772 “The Fiery Cross” (#5)

1773-1776 “A Breath of Snow and Ashes” (#6)

1776-1777 “An Echo in the Bone” (#7)

1778 “The Space Between” (novella in Seven Stones to Stand or Fall, The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination anthology; also published in UK in A Trail of Fire)

1778 “Written in My Own Heart’s Blood” (#8)

Up next “Go Tell It To the Bees” (#9)(less)

Start your review of Seven Stones to Stand or Fall (Outlander 0.5, 7.5 & 8.5)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This is what my hardcover looks like ↓

I wasn't as in love with the short stories as I am with the actual books. There are a couple that I liked. I think for me, it would be good to do re-reads with the actual novella read after the book it goes with. There are two new short stories in this book as well.

Most of them seem to revolve around John Grey, but there are some with Jamie, Ian (the dad), Roger, Frank and a few others.

Either way, it's just another Outlander book to add to my collection an
Matt
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
With the release of this recent collection of novellas, Gabaldon seeks to pull together a number of her shorter pieces for the reader’s enjoyment. With some mention of Jamie Fraser, a peppering of Roger, and even the elder Fraser, the vast number of stories have some Lord John Grey connection. When I undertook my Diana Gabaldon binge in the summer of 2015, I sought to read her entire collection in chronological order, which sandwiched Outlander novels with a number of the Lord John pieces. A num ...more
Erin
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Outlander- Lord John Grey fans
Shelves: short-stories
Realizing that Outlander fans are craving that third season, a collection of "Outlander" novellas packaged all in one book is the perfect remedy to beat the "drought." There are three Lord John Grey novellas(The Custom of the Army, A Plague of Zombies, and Beseiged). A Fugitive Green stars Lord John Grey's older brother, Hal and his wife, Minnie(Jamie makes a cameo in this one). A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows is about Roger Mackenzie 's parents during WWII, Frank Randall makes a brief cameo i ...more
Ferdy
Too many Lord John stories, why keep writing about one of the most boring characters in the series? I mean, he already has his own series, so why not write about the dozens of other characters that we've not heard much from? Anything would be more interesting than what we get with John. Lord John's stories are always the same, him being put in some war/battle type situation and then him ultimately saving the day, interspersed with him lusting after some random guy and generally being a racist gi ...more
Olivia Mason
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seven Stones to Stand or Fall contains seven Outlander stories, two of which are new. Since the others have been out for some time and I was already familiar with them, I’ll leave them be—but the only reason Seven Stones gets 4 STARS is because I love “The Space Between” and “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows.”

As for the two new stories, “Fugitive Green” and “Besieged”:

“Fugitive Green” (3 STARS) has its moments, and teenage Minnie’s take-no-shit spunk might fill the Claire-shaped hole in your
Candace
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each novella and short story in this book is part of the Outlander universe. I do have my favorites:

A Plague of Zombies. Jamaica, 1761. Lord John is sent to put down a slave rebellion.

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows. 1941-43. We discover what really happened to Roger McKenzie's parents.

A Fugitive Green. 1744-45. Harold, Earl Melton and Duke of Pardloe, and Minnie's story.

All the novellas and short stories were good. Each added information to the Outlander universe. I would highly recommend thi
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

SEVEN STONES TO STAND OR FALL is a collection of stories set in the Outlander world by Diana Gabaldon. When this massive book reached my doorstep, I thought it was going to be a full length book but actually it’s an anthology of short stories. Now I hesitate with calling them short stories because while they shorter in comparison to Gabaldon’s other books, the stories included here are all pretty long.

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
A few of these I've read already, so I'll be lazy and link to those reviews. ;)

The Custom of the Army - 2 stars

The Space Between - no rating

I didn't bother getting this when it was originally released solo and I'm glad I didn't. I don't have much interest in Joan, and even less interest in the Comte St. Germain, nor did I ever once wonder what happened to the guy or what his backstory was. So this was one long bore and I skimmed a lot of it to get to the i
Ashley
Seven Stones to Stand or Fall is a 500ish page collection of (mostly) novellas set in Gabaldon's Outlander universe. All but two of the novellas were previously published in short story anthologies. The remaining two are new. I do not recommend picking up this collection if you aren't already a fan of the books. Most of the stories would be entertaining enough to read, but you're not going to get optimal enjoyment out of them without the context of the main series (or the Lord John books, which ...more
Beta
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
* buys whole book
* reads only "Besieged"
If that isn't proper fanboy behaviour I don't know what is. :D
But TBH I already knew the other John Grey stories and I don't care much about the rest. It was nice to meet him again, but I really want a new Lord John book, a really big one. And beside my obvious and total love for him, I think Benedictas "My Life" would also be of great interest. What a woman. :)
"I didn't know you could speak Spanish, Mother."
"Well, I don't know about speaking, so much," sh
Janelle V. Dvorak
I was quite pleased with "A Fugitive Green" and "Besieged", the only new stories in the collection. The Duke of Pardloe increases in fascination with each appearance. I gave the collection itself three stars because I really dislike the publisher packaging the other stories yet again as a marketing scheme.
Lori C
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning collection!

"Women drink for the same reasons men do: in order to ignore circumstance or to obliterate themselves. Given the right circumstance, either sex will drown itself. Women care much more about staying alive than men do, though".

Do you need these stories to appreciate the main Outlander series? Not really. Do you want them? Absolutely!
Lita
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's face it... I cannot have any type of objective evaluation of Outlander fiction! When reading a book feels like meeting up with old friends for a drink, you won't give anything but 5 stars (especially nowadays when one doesn't get to meet any other kind of friends... at least not in flesh). However, I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shorter Outlander fiction. Diana didn't hold back on her wit and wisdom, it was fast-paced and entertaining... and at some p ...more
Sophia
I was thrilled when I got the email from the library that it was my turn for this book. I've been on the waiting list for months. Woohoo! My turn!

This is an anthology, but instead of reviewing thoroughly all the stories in it, I'm going to focus on the three that I have previously not read and reviewed. Though, yes, I couldn't help myself and re-read all the ones I've read from prior releases.

And, that reminds me, speaking of prior releases, this collection is seven novellas, but only two were b
Suzanne
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd already read 4 of the 6 stories in this collection before thanks to scooping up a copy of the UK-only book, "A Trail of Fire," on a trip to London a few years ago, but despite the two new stories here, it's "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" that I still liked the most. Gabaldon takes you straight into the gut-gripping fear that every young man fighting in the Battle of Britain in WWII must have grappled with. And for Roger to have this brief glimpse of his father is both heart-breaking and ...more
Mskychick
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Custom of the Army- 4 stars (read in 2012)
The Space Between (originally in The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination) - 5 stars (read in 2013)
A Plague of Zombies (originally in Down These Strange Streets) - 4 stars (read in 2011)
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows - 4 stars (read in 2013)
Virgins - 5 stars (read in 2016)
A Fugitive Green - 4-1/2 stars
Besieged - 5 stars
Under the Covers Book Blog

Gabaldon approaches each of these stories the same way as she does with each novel. The cha
Sal
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t normally choose to read short stories, but I thoroughly enjoyed these. They fill in tangential storylines from the Outlander series, and gave a little more of Gabaldon’s enjoyable, well-researched writing.
Jujubee
The Custom of the Army (Lord John Grey 02.75) Read 02/16/18 5*
What more can I say, but that Lord John Grey, Lieutenant Colonel of the British army, at the placement in this story (1759), remains a beloved noble, pragmatic, and favored fictional character that I would love to have dinner with.
A Fugitive Green (Lord John Grey series) Read Feb 2018 5*
Clever, clever Minnie and lucky, lucky Hal.
Along with steadfast Harry ;)
Reading their backstory was most enjoyable (and heartbreaking, oh Hal)
Emily
I read most of the stories/novellas here in other collections, but there were three stories/novellas that were new to me: Virgins, A Fugitive Green, and Besieged. All three were swell, but the latter two were my favorites. Combined, the three I hadn't read yet are enough to make up their own book. D.G. doesn't really do "short."

After the last couple of Outlander books, I've wanted to read more about Lord John and his family, and this collection delivers the goods. I remember really enjoying A P
Barbara ★
I absolutely loved this story. I always wondered about Hal and Minerva's relationship. Now I know.
A thoroughly enjoyable read and a great addition to the Lord John Grey series.
Julianna
Aug 07, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)
*newest review for this anthology

The Custom of the Army – Chronologically, The Custom of the Army is set approximately one year after the events of Lord Jo
Jgrace
Seven Stones to Stand or Fall (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon
Seven Stones to Stand or Fall - Gabaldon -
Audio performance by multiple narrators
4 stars

I am a Diana Gabaldon addict. I’ve listened to every book more than once. I own many of them in paper and all of them as ebooks and audiobooks.. I read her blog. ( I haven’t watched the current mini- series, but then, I don’t watch any television.) There were only two stories in this collection that I had not read. The entries that I had read, I mostly owned already. So was it worth it to buy them agai
Bárbara
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The duty of a survivor. Not everyone lives to be old, but if you do, you owe it to those who didn't. To tell the stories of those who shared your journey... for as long as they could."

I am, once again, left speechless. Diana Gabaldon- for all that she enjoys writing seveal hundred pages long books, she can definitely create a great impact in the space of a hundred and a bit.

Lord John Grey leads a very interesting life, and he faces everything with more level-headedness than should be humanly
Annie
New stories A Fugitive Green and Besieged deserve 5 stars. I'm delighted when authors give secondary characters their own space. The overall book is getting 3 because of the constant repackaging off old material. Because I knew that 5 of the stories have previously released, I purchased on Kindle. I didn't need another big book taking up valuable shelf space for stories I already own. Lord John Grey is a fascinating character. However, if you want to read his story in chronicle order, you must j ...more
Kathy Davie
An anthology of seven short stories in the Outlander / Lord John Gray series. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Outlander and Lord John Grey books on my website.

On the whole, they’re excellent stories with a few niggles here and there.

The Series
“A Fugitive Green" (Lord John #0.25, Outlander #0.75; 1744)
“The Custom of the Army" (Lord John #2.75; 1759)
“A Plague of Zombies" (Lord John #3.5; 1761)
“Besieged" (Lord John #3.75; 1762)
"Virgins" (Outlander #0.5; 1740)
"The Space
Teresa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5

Another delightful novella in the Outlander universe that appears on the recent compilation "Seven Stones To Stand or Fall". Jamie Fraser has a tiny cameo of the sort of blink-and-you'll-miss-it, and this is the account of how Lord Melton, Lord John Grey's brother, meets and marries his second wife Minnie. Very enjoyable.
keikii Eats Books
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Custom of the Army

67 points/100 (3.5 stars/5).

Lord John goes to Canada to serve as a witness in a court martial.

This is actually the best Lord John story I've read other than the Scottish Prisoner (and I loved that one so much because it had Jamie). This isn't some silly little detective story. There isn't a huge information dump at the end of it. He doesn't spend a difficult portion of this book mooning over Jamie. He has an uncomplicated relationship with someone, for once. It was just a d
Maureen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to get my Outlander fix. I had not read any of these books. I like some better than others. I especially like the Introduction page where it lists all of the books in chronological order with a description of each. Can't wait for the next book to come out.
Beth
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the Outlander Series, but I just couldn't get into this book. I don't know what it was, but I just wasn't interested in these side stories.

• The Making of Outlander: The Official Guide to Seasons 1 & 2
  • The Making of Outlander: The Series: The Official Guide to Seasons Three & Four
  • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
  • No Great Mischief If They Fall: A Tale of a Highlander in the French and Indian War. Book 1: Culloden to Quebec
  • Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1)
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
  • Finding Fraser
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6)
  • Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
  • Time's Convert
  • The Base of Reflections (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #2)
  • Sarah's Diary
  • THE MISSING THIEF an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 9)
  • Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food
  • Evergreen Dreaming: Trail Tales of an Aging Hiker
  • Juicy and Delicious: The Play That Inspired the Motion Picture "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .

Outlander (9 books)
  • Outlander (Outlander, #1)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)