Start by marking “Steps from Death (Craft Circle Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Steps from Death (Craft Circle Mystery #1)

Steps from Death

(Craft Circle Mysteries #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
When you’re the new girl in a small town, you have to step out of your comfort zone and meet new people. But sometimes that can leave you only Steps from Death.
Georgina is the new owner of a craft store in a small town. When a woman is found dead after falling down the stairs, she suspects foul play. After learning her new home has a similarly tragic past, she begins to
Published October 23rd 2016 by Fairfield Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Steps from Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steps from Death

Nikki Speer
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting into the story. I almost gave up several times before I just made myself finish. I wasn't really fond of the main character, George and felt like there was a lot missing from her backstory. Overall, just an ok read. I probably won't continue the series.
I.A.T.
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and interesting book

I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and keep the pace up so that I didn't want to put it down. Looking forward to the next in series.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-cozies
Kindle Unlimited, the Craft Circle Mystery books were a bit better than the Bakery Detective ones, but that's not saying much. Would be nice if there were actually some crafts going on more than just a mention here and there, and oh yeah real plot with real believable characters.

Steps from Death (Craft Circle Mystery #1) Arts, Crafts and Murder (Craft Circle Mystery #2) A Finely Crafted Murder: A Craft Circle Cozy Mystery (Craft Circle Cozy Mysteries Book 3)
Naked Eye {not sure where exactly this
Lisa Denn
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stacey-alabaster
Steps from Death, the first book in Stacey Alabaster's Craft Circle series, was enjoyable but not without a few criticisms.

The protaganist, Georgina Holt needs to get a grip with her obsession with age! I can't speak for other readers but I think Step From Death received my "most eye rolls" while reading award solely for the repeated age-related comments.

Also, I didn't find Holt all that likeable. She was so darn blah it was depressing. In real life we try to surround ourselves with pleasant, ou
Vanessa
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Needed a "craft themed" book for a challenge. First off, there is no crafting in this book at all. There are mentions of MC making her own jewelry, but she never actually does any crafting. She also runs a craft store, but she never actually goes to work, except the one opening scene to prove she has a job.

MC is annoying and irritating, constantly asking herself questions, (i.e. "Had we been good enough friends?") which gets tiresome. Extremely thin reason MC decides she should be the one
Jane
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second series

This is the second series I have started of Staceys’. George comes to Pottsville to open a crafting business. She discovers her home was the site of a murder, another single crafter that fell down the stairs. When her new found friend Amanda dies the same way in her home, George decides both deaths are too coincidental and starts investigating. Her crazy dog Jasper helps her. George decides to stay in town, hoping to investigate more cases. Looks to be another good series
Monica
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beware Crazy Crafters

I just love all the cozy mystery series available that revolve around crafting or jewelry making! This one hit the nose on the head with me because it even described me down to my age. Lol. I have fun reading about groups enjoying crafts while solving crimes and Stacey does not disappoint. I look forward to the next in the series.
Karin
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe Pottsville might actually need George. Maybe they needed her around to solve the cases that the police were just too scared to touch. She could make a little side career out of this – crafter by day and detective by night.
Joan
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
A light, fun, cozy mystery. (Is it OK to say it's "fun" when murder is involved?) At any rate, it's fairly enjoyable if you don't mind inconsistencies in time, unrealistic situations, and characters who are caricatures of real people. Enjoyable for a break from more serious reading.
Karen Cino
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read. I just wish there would have been a little more background on the main character, Georgia. If you love doing crafts then this is a sure read. The beginning somewhat dragged, but do give it a chance.
Sheri
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick, fun cozy read. I love the main character - I could identify with her. She's fun, quirky and smart. I look forward to reading more of her adventures. Off to download book 2.
Tina Pawelko
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A light cozy mystery. It was okay. Wasn’t to thrilled with the characters. Hope the series gets better.
Dixie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very short and simple
Joyffree
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a little trouble staying with the story in the beginning - it just did not hold my attention.
I did not give up, though!
George moves to a small town after fleeing Paris(yes London) - why? we never really get all the facts about that, but hey why not, right?
She is a crafter, who owns a craft store and a dog - not sure when she acquired either of those but we do know it is before she buys her house in her new small town. Seemed a little backward to me but again, it's fiction -I am go
Linda
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Georgiana (aka George) has moved to a small town and opened a craft store. Finding it hard to make new friends she starts a weekly craft circle. She finds a good friend in one of the three people who attend that first meeting. Sadly that good friend suffers an accident and dies. George, however, is not so sure it was an accident. She finds several suspects but must narrow down the list somehow.

As George deals with her friends death she also must deal with an unruly rescue dog and her infatuation
Melissa
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the first book in Stacey Alabaster's new series. George buys a craft store in a new town in order to start over. When a possible new friend dies after the first craft club meeting, George realizes she maybe in danger. Trying to stay one step ahead of a killer is vital. Why didn't the real estate agent not tell her about the history of her home. Will she be able to find the killer before the killer finds her?
I enjoy how Ms Alabaster developed her story line and characters. This
Norma Wiegert
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Georgina (George) moves fro Paris to Pottsville and in 2 weeks acquires a dog (Jasper) buys a house and opens a craft store. She quickly learns there was a death in her newly purchased house which closely mirrors the death of her new friend. This is a fun read as George investigates and solves the murders and in the process acquires a new friend and partner. I'm looking forward to more books in this series Stacey Alabaster is an amazing writer.
I was given an ARC which I am voluntarily reviewing.
Starla B
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was ok. I liked the story and the characters, but there were a lot of references to Paris and things in George's past that made it seem like the second book in the series instead of the first book. I spent a lot of time feeling like I was missing something.
Dana G. Schultea
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun read

Cute story with fun characters. Great weekend read for the person who enjoys mystery. Stacey Alabaster has done a good job with this one.
Jackie Preston
Feb 06, 2018
Peggy
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A light read.

It was a joy to read this story even if you might know who the killer was before you should.
Diane Rees
Dec 04, 2016
LINDA L MAY
May 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I have always loved a good mystery. From my early years watching Murder She Wrote to more recent shows like Monk, Psych, and my absolute favorite BBC show ever, Sherlock, I have studied what it takes to make an entertaining mystery. I am truly blessed to be able to write and share my own mysteries with you. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I loved writing them :)

If you want to keep up with

Craft Circle Mysteries (9 books)
  • Arts, Crafts and Murder (Craft Circle Mystery #2)
  • A Finely Crafted Murder (A Craft Circle Cozy Mystery, #3)
  • Crafts, Cat Burglars, and Murder (A Craft Circle Cozy Mystery, #4)
  • Weddings, Receptions, and Murder (Craft Circle Mystery #5)
  • Beaches, Blogging, and Bodies (Craft Circle Mystery #6)
  • Death at the Dog Wedding (Craft Circle Mystery #7)
  • Crafts, Crimes, and Country Clubs (Craft Circle Cozy Mystery Book 8)
  • Murder, Money, and Moving On (Craft Circle Cozy Mystery Book 9)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Bury Your Dead (Armand Gamache, #6)
  • White Rabbit
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Stranger in Mayfair (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4)
  • Jar City
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man: A Novel (Ruddy McCann)
  • Our Kind of Cruelty
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Gone to Dust: A Novel
  • All Is Not Forgotten
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Breaking Point (Lucy Kincaid, #13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Janissary Tree (Yashim the Eunuch, #1)
  • The Girl I Used to Be
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Unquiet Dead (Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak, #1)
  • After the Woods
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1)
  • Girl Unknown: A Novel
  • Land of Shadows
  • Presumed Innocent
  • All the Old Knives: A Novel
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Through the Fog (Evan, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Up Country
  • The Surrogate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Teacher (DS Imogen Grey, #1)
  • Lies That Bind Us