Start by marking “Pauper” as Want to Read:
Pauper

Pauper

From the author of Girl on the Moon and the upcoming sequel, Girl on Mars, comes this standalone novel about humankind's next great adventure.

Billionaire Frank Ebersole believes Pauper, Earth's smaller moon, is the source of magic—the power magickers draw from to perform their supernatural feats. He wants to find the magic "generator" there and exploit it, making him the
Published November 8th 2016 by Kindle Press (first published November 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Pauper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pauper

Start your review of Pauper
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pauper by Jack McDonald Burnett is a well thought out book with a wonderful cast of characters and terrific complex plot. I love books with magic and what fun would it be to have 2 moons? I don't think I would like the social structure he lays out in this world but it is intriguing for the story. Great book and kept me interested all the way through. Lots of craziness and thought provoking ideas in here, glad they are not in real life. Maybe they are to some degree.
Pat Cummings
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pat Cummings by: Kindle Scout
Shelves: reviewed
Burnett's Girl on the Moon was a tour-de-force of hard science fiction. This novel, while still set in Burnett's wheelhouse (private enterprise funding space exploration, US returning to the moon, first woman on the moon), takes a large step away from hard scifi. There are two moons orbiting Earth, you see. Luna has been explored, although the final expedition was a while ago. The second moon, Pauper, arrived in Earth's skies shortly after the Fall of Constantinople. Smaller than Luna, it ...more
Maggie
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a world where Earth has two moons, an eccentric rich man puts together a team of strangers, trained them to be astronauts, and launched them into space. With the smaller moon, Pauper, as their destination, the trip soon became freighted with unfulfilled ambition, jealousy, and vengeance. Why? Because Pauper is the alleged source of all magic. Tragedies strike one after the other and the survivors are left to deal with the aftermath.

This book made me think “what would happen if” a second moon
Kay Smillie
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, this was very slow. I struggled, and struggled some more, then gave up. I don't give up very often as I am a stubborn person, but this beat me into submission.

I had to read quite a number of sentences three or four times to try to make some sense of them. I'm at a loss to understand why this is as I am very good at reading accents and dialects, and I have been reading US books all my life.

There wasn't a single character that I was interested in finding out what happened to them.
David Caldwell
A billionaire businessman plans a space mission to Earth's second moon, the supposed source of magic.

I had trouble determining how to label this book. It a lot of ways, it is alternative history. But to me an alternative history story is one that could have happened if some point in history was a little different. For example, if the south won the Civil War. But the point that is differnt in this story is that Earth gains a second moon which creates magical powers with some people. There are
john calkin
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When magic creates and recreates reality there's no telling what we might get. From its beginning of this book, we know that we're on Earth, third planet from the sun (I assume since Mercury and Venus weren't mentioned) but the countries aren't laid out right and its history isn't familiar. So we keep reading to figure out why and there is no explanation until near the end, and then we get three different versions of Earth right in a row. And it's all because of a magic second moon, Pauper. Much ...more
Rebecca
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
The book starts out rather slow while it defines the people and the world they live in. Once the characters arrive on the moon Pauper, however, it picks up. As it continues to unfold, it gets rather bizarre and unexpected. But, that's all in the nature of "magic," which is at the forefront of what this story is about. My advice to readers is, "Don't give up." The story will be worth reading through.
Sue
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was a great book until around the 60% marker, at which point it all started to be Not Worth It.
Lexidh Solstad
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read long before publishing, an early version. Loved it! I'll say it again, Jack is one of these guys that SHOULD quit his day job.
Susie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susie by: Kindle Scout
My experience of books I have won via Kindle Scout campaigns has been hit and miss so far (partly because I am sure I should actually pay more attention to what I’m voting for!). Yet I was highly impressed by this book. It’s a sort of “what if?” tale: what if there was a viable magic source? What if that source was a second moon? How would that change humanity and relative scientific advancements? What about religion? What about different nations, countries, and the diplomacy between them? Then ...more
Daniel Grad
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
The pacing was good, but the writing felt too much like reading someone's journal. It was just a listing of events which made it hard to feel immersed in the story. I did enjoy the story though, up until to the end. It felt like an easy way out. I can see this ending made to work, but not with this dry writing style. All in all, an enjoyable story with good potential, but not my choice of author to write it.
Hamish Willee
Nic Cain
Nov 08, 2016
John C. Pettorino
Jul 03, 2017

• Star Force: Backdoor (Star Force, #53)
  • Star Force: First Contact Fallout (Star Force Universe Book 65)
  • Soup Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 17)
  • First, Learn to Practice
  • Grant Moves South, 1861-1863
  • The Line Of Polity (Agent Cormac, #2)
  • Star Force: The Forbidden Space Fleet (Star Force Universe Book 66)
  • The Adversary (Chris Bruen #1)
  • Empath's Ultimate Guide To Shield Yourself From Negative Energies: Simple Action Plan Included
  • The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe
  • Intrusion (Chris Bruen #2)
  • The Return
  • Star Force: Death Mark (Star Force Universe Book 67)
  • The Electra Story: The Dramatic History of Aviation's Most Controversial Airliner
  • Minecraft: Minecraft Books: Minecraft Handbook Of 101 Stunning Secrets You Need To Know!(An Unofficial Guide) (Minecraft books, minecraft pocket edition, ... minecraft free books, minecraft diary,)
  • Minecraft Superheroes: Book 3 - Apocalypse [An Unofficial Minecraft Book] (Minecraft Tales 92)
  • Minecraft Superheroes: Book 2 - Civil War [An Unofficial Minecraft Book] (Minecraft Tales 91)
  • The Blue Period
Jack McDonald Burnett is an attorney living in the Atlanta metro area. His short fiction is available at his website, scifijack.com. His nonfiction work has been published in a range of venues, from Economic Opportunity Report to American Builders Quarterly to Puck Daddy. His novels Girl on the Moon, Pauper, and Girl on Mars are available in the Kindle Store.
“Politics, Garrett thought. Like a food fight without the internal logic.” 1 likes