Start by marking “The Story of Us” as Want to Read:
The Story of Us

The Story of Us (Us #1)

Moments.

Every life is made of thousands of them, each one strung together with the next. Some are yellow and happy, some are blue and sad, and some…

Some wipe out color altogether.

“I love you,” is what I should have told Maverick.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m still fighting.”

Instead I just watched him leave.

Now my husband, my everything is battling for each breath, and all I can do is s
Paperback
Published February 9th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Us, please sign up.

D. King Hi Lizzie!
I am currently working on The Evolution of Us, Finley's story. I hope to release it later this year. Thanks!

*TANYA*
Feb 26, 2017 *TANYA* rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
This book was the color of fecal brown!!! It was TERRIBLE!!! My heart is crimson RED!! Grrrrrr
 ⚛  KAT ⚛ ⊱Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books⊰
 photo arc banner_zpsdjihzat1.jpg
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 photo 4 stars_zpsaaho3vlc.jpg

THE STORY OF US:

PRESENT DAY: A night that’s mean’t to be a night of celebration of their One Year Wedding Anniversary is anything but because Alieya Tavare is sitting at home alone in their cramped apartment with only their cat to keep her company, lonely, and thinking of the past and where it all fell down around their ears, Maverick yet again at the office working late where he’s been working for the last twenty five months.

THIS ISN’T HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic I want him to come h
Sunniva Dee
Jan 10, 2017 Sunniva Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Top Ten of 2017. I already know this.
I've read every one of D. Nichole's books, and they're all wonderful. But with The Story of Us, the author has hit a new level. The writing is flawless and to the point, while hitting the reader right in the heart and the tear ducts every step of the way.

Was Love Always, Kate, your kind of book? How about Me Before You? The Story of Us is nothing like these two, and yet they have so much in common. As contradictory as that sounds, you'll soon see what I me
Annika
4,5 stars

They shape us. Our lives are built of them. Moments that we forget as soon as it has passed. Moments we do our hardest to forget. The ones we wished to change. And the moments we want back, the ones we never want to forget. Our moments shape who we are, who we will become. This book is built on moments. The past and present interwoven, and together they tell the truly beautiful story of Ali and Mav.

“I need you. I need to fall asleep with you every night. I need to wak
Laura Thalassa
Nov 09, 2016 Laura Thalassa marked it as to-read
So excited for this one!!! <3
Danielle from Short and Sassy
Mt first 5 star read of 2017!! this is an amazing story. I was so touched by it... more to come but AMAZING!!

5 stars
The Story of Us is the first 5 star read of 2017! It was so real and raw and amazingly written. I was in tears and loving it for a lot of the book. All I kept thinks was, this could be me. I could be Alieya. She was a character you can relate to. She could be your best friend, your sister or you.

Let's back up a little. The Story Of Us is the love story and everything in between of
Michelle
Feb 21, 2017 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great concept

Could have been better. I loved the story line and the concept of this book. However it was a little weird for me that the main character and her husband look to the best friend for advice. Her depression should have been more of a focus Bc she had a serious mental illness and painting fixed it? Not exactly realistic at all. This could have been so emotional and it was cold. Too many color references it was overdone. Not sure I will read another book by this author.
Amy
Jan 28, 2017 Amy rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down until I finished it (even at the risk of getting fired from my job). I was instantly sucked in and I wanted to know what was going to happen with Ali and Mav. The Story of Us walks you through happiness, heartache, and gut wrenching pain. I felt everything the characters experienced as if I was living the story with them. I never cried when reading until I started reading D. Nichole King's books. She has a way of making you feel everything ...more
Melyssa Winchester

Series or Standalone: Standalone
Rating: ★★★★★

Review

description

“What I’m trying to say is that happy endings don’t happen without unhappy middles.”

Love is messy. There’s no escaping that. Relationships are hard. The deeper you’re in it with someone, allowing yourself to be vulnerable, showing them every facet of yourself and having them do the same with you, it’s incredible but no doubt, one of the hardest things most people will ever
Jenny Jo Weir
I'll try to keep this review short and to the point for those 3 people who are going to read it. Once upon a time, I read a book that was classified as "romance" but really should have been sold at Home Depot since it ended up being a home improvement book. I feel just as duped with this one. This one is classified as "romance" as well yet in reality is more of an art book.
The entire book is more about hues, colors and shades than the story of them. It's so bad, that the author even included a
Bianca
Feb 12, 2017 Bianca rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As the synopsis indicates, moments are everything in this book. The moment Alieya and Maverick meet, there is this pull between them. A spark that ignites something deep within them both. They meet on vacation. In the most unconventional way. They spend their last days together until neither one wants to say goodbye. They refuse to end this and decide to see where this will go.

Fast forward and they are building their lives together. While falli
Aaly
Feb 02, 2017 Aaly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
** ARC kindly provided for an honest review. **

review-blog

The Story of Us took my breath away. I am still in awe of d. Nichole King’s writing. It was just magnificent. Reading this story, about how a couple who loved so much, so deeply torn apart, leading to the point of no return. Almost.

It took one moment, one tragedy, to turn their lives upside down.

The emotions were just raw, heartbreaking but mostly so realistic. Alieya and Maverick. One guarded and the other spontaneous. Their story may not look lik
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡

When I read THE STORY OF US by D. Nichole King all I could think about was … She must have experienced something like this or know someone who has.
There is no way you could write something like this in such a way without having the misfortune of a personal experience.

Because of the very special way the story is told basically everything about this story hurt. And it hurt a lot. It felt so real … this story could be you, me, anybody.
At times again I thought that I will hopefully never find myself
Cassie
Jan 28, 2017 Cassie rated it it was amazing
4.5 Heart-Stealing Stars!!!

Lone Palm
4.5 Cherish The Moment Stars

This is an honest review in exchange for an ARC.

I had previously read 3 of D. Nichole King's books and I had absolutely adored them so the bar was set very high for The Story of Us. I shouldn't have been concerned, because this book exceeded every expectation I had!

By the time I had finished the first chapter I was completely enthralled and I stayed that way throughout the entire book. As usual, I fell head over heels in love with Nicole King's hero. Maverick was perf
Cathie Brashear
Jan 30, 2017 Cathie Brashear rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly wonderful. It shows what life can throw at us. The good, the bad and the ugly. You will need tissues while reading. I felt like I was living it with Maverick and Ali.

I received an Advanced copy for my voluntary opinion.
Shierly
Jan 10, 2017 Shierly rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and heartwarming!
The Story of us is about life, love and second chances! I wish there is more of Ali and Mav, yes, I am on short name basis
Jen
Feb 05, 2017 Jen rated it it was amazing
First I want to say I went into this book knowing nothing about this book but the Author and the title, I was blessed with the honor of receiving an ARC. D. Nichole King is one of my go to authors, her words flow like magic and her love of her characters goes on for days.

The story of us is so touching and remarkably relatable, the characters aren't perfect they are flawed and their flaws make them even better.

The love you feel through out the book between the characters made me feel warm and l
Kim Peckitt
Mar 06, 2017 Kim Peckitt rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars
Life is tough sometimes but love is tougher ♥
Whisgirl
Jan 29, 2017 Whisgirl rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!
This story was intense and heartbreaking. If it wasn't for all the sweet flashbacks mixed in I would have needed to take a break to get through it. I love the way the Author mixed in the emotional moments with the beautiful moments. I couldn't put it down! I definitely recommend you read this book if you haven't yet.
Kristy /Obsessed with Romance
Feb 09, 2017 Kristy /Obsessed with Romance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tear-jerkers
I was already a D. Nichole King fan (Like HUGE fan), so I want into this book with high expectations. Yeah...they were met and exceeded. This book is just a beautiful book about love, about the fact that falling is easy and hard at the same time. The scariest and the safest thing you'll ever do. That after you fall, life gets complicated and messy while being beautiful and amazing. This book reminds you that every day matters and things can change in the blink of an eye.

This book did exactly wh
BethyMac
Feb 04, 2017 BethyMac rated it it was amazing
4.5 Phenomenal Stars

What an absolutely phenomenal read this was. I knew this author would do an amazing job of this story the moment I read the synopsis. I love this authors writing, she writes her stories always so beautifully sucking you in right from the very start. She tends to break your heart but oh how she puts it all back together to heal it all back up.

This one was written in both past and present, alternating back and forth and normally I don't enjoy a story being told this way but u
Maria Angie Mendoza
Feb 13, 2017 Maria Angie Mendoza rated it it was amazing
My first book by D. Nichole King and I am hooked!!!
This read was phenomenal! The story of Maverick and Alieya touched upon all my emotions. The way the story unfolded was stunning!
This read is so much more than a romance story, but it's best to go in blindly and experience it!
Julie Reveles (ILST BLOG)
Feb 05, 2017 Julie Reveles (ILST BLOG) rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
5 Stars!!

"This is our story. Our messy, beautiful, heartbreaking, wonderful story. And I don’t want to miss a second of it—Of us."

That was the perfect ending and the perfect phrase because everything about it was completely true! I loved The Story Of Us. It was beautiful, heartbreaking and the most wonderful story. I'm so glad I didn't miss a second of it- of them! Maverick and Alieya had me going through every emotion while reading their journey. They shared so much love, laughter, and hearta
Elmarie Parker
Feb 12, 2017 Elmarie Parker rated it it was amazing
Logan Keys
Jan 10, 2017 Logan Keys rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking!

Heartbreaking and heartmending.

The realities of life are hard to write, and even harder to make enjoyable. This was torture in terms of waiting for the ending, but the whole thing was a rainbow of emotion, in a good way, in a sad way, in a thrilling way. It's a story of "How did we get here?" but everyone has been "here" so it's so easy to understand the highs and lows. And the characters make it so enjoyable you forget about everything but them and their lives wrapped around eachot
Lekeisha
Jan 26, 2017 Lekeisha rated it really liked it
New author for me. I loved her writing style, the story and the characters. I was drawn right in and thought it was a beautiful story.
We get to meet Maverick and Alieya and tag along as their relationship starts and grows, and as they face speed bumps to their HEA. The writing is so good i felt as if I was right there with the characters. I loved how the story alternated throughout from the present to the past. We are able to see how their relationship started (funny moment) and are also kept o
Susan
Jan 28, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing
Wow... just wow! I read this book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down! The characters were real. Gritty. Flawed. Perfect for each other. The plot was well thought out and well-written; my only criticism would be that I could have used just a little more before the epilogue (it works quite well as is, just a preference for me). Told in alternating present and past (something that can be challenging to red, but isn't in the least), this novel was refreshing! I look forward to more from this aut ...more
Bobbi Elmore
Jan 30, 2017 Bobbi Elmore rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? It's heartbreaking. It's breathtaking. It's beautiful. It makes you feel happy, sad, and scared. It sucks you in, and makes you hope. I loved it. It's such a wonderful story. Ali and Mav are perfect for each other, even in the trials of their relationship. This is a 5 star, must read, in my opinion.
Kelli
Jan 24, 2017 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so amazing. I could see it being someone's true life story. Moving, touching, the feels. This is one everyone should read. I'm not great at reviews, to put down in words exactly how I feel ( that's why I'm a reader not a writer) but this book was so good. Really truly. So super happy that I got to read it. Thank you for a great piece of work!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm pretty sure I drink too much Pepsi. I'm also pretty sure that somedays it's what keeps me sane. Well, Pepsi and writing, that is.

I'm a dreamer, an inspirer. I find beauty in weakness, brokenness, and heartbreak. In life, and joy, and happiness. These moments don't define us, but the choices we make in these moments do.

I write about these moments. About the choices we make and the paths we trea
More about D. Nichole King...

Us (2 books)