Start by marking “Every Last Lie” as Want to Read:
Every Last Lie

Every Last Lie

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  19,778 ratings  ·  2,540 reviews

New York Times bestselling author of THE GOOD GIRL, Mary Kubica is back with another exhilarating thriller as a widow's pursuit of the truth leads her to the darkest corners of the psyche.

"The bad man, Daddy. The bad man is after us."

Clara Solberg's world shatters when her husband and their four-year-old daughter are in a car crash, killing Nick while Maisie is re

Published June 27th 2017 by Park Row Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Last Lie, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jillian There are quite a few questions she author never answered by the end of the book. Annoying!
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren Hopkins By WHY I mean...why does this book exist. Oh, and HOW?! How did it get sold to human people with brains.

·  19,778 ratings  ·  2,540 reviews

Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Mary Kubica
Shelves: from-publisher
Of course I gave this 5 stars; what did you expect? 😂 In all honesty I’m a Kubica junkie. I truly love how fleshed out her characters are and how the suspense just builds from beginning to end. This one was very different than her previous three novels. Maybe it was because Clara was in a similar walk of life as I am (young mother with 2 small kids) or maybe it was because she put some of my worst fears on paper, but I really connected with the story. I think readers will be split over the endin ...more
Norma * Traveling Sister
This was another enjoyable read by one of my favourite authors, Mary Kubica!

EVERY LAST LIE by MARY KUBICA is an interesting, thrilling, suspenseful, and cleverly written novel that has a really engaging storyline and solid characters that grabbed my attention from the very first chapter.

MARY KUBICA delivers an impressive read here told in the alternating perspectives of Clara’s investigation into the death of her husband, Nick and in Nick’s voice of his last months leading up to his accident.  T
Bookphile
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
A *complete* miss for me. I figured out several key twists long before they were revealed, and I pretty much hated Clara. Complete review to come.

Full review:

Every Last Lie is a book that seems to be suffering from a bit of an identity crisis. On the one hand, the books hints at dark secrets, but on the other, it doesn't want those secrets to be *too* dark, lest the characters become unlikable. It probably goes without saying is that the end result is the book falls flat, and at times it even de
Paromjit
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the latest dark and disturbing psychological thriller from Mary Kubica. It explores the state of a marriage and asks whether it is really possible to know your partner. The story is narrated through the perspectives of Clara Solberg and her husband, Nick. A shattered Clara has recently given birth to son, Felix, and is looking after him when the police knock on the door. Nick has been killed after he crashed into a tree on his return journey from collecting 4 year old daughter, Maisie, f ...more
Deanna
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Having really enjoyed Mary Kubica's THE GOOD GIRL I was really looking forward to reading EVERY LAST LIE.

"They say that death comes in threes"
-a man who lived across the street (cancer)
-former classmate (pulmonary embolism)
and then....Nick"

Baby Felix is four days old when Clara Solberg talks to her husband Nick for the last time. He phones her as he's on his way home with their four-year-old daughter, Maisie.

"Chines
Hannah Greendale
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

Clara Solberg’s world is torn asunder when her husband Nick and four-year-old daughter Maisie are in a car crash from which Maisie walks away unharmed and Nick is injured fatally. Police deem the crash an accident, but when Maisie starts having night terrors and crying about what she saw just before the crash, Clara has reason to believe that her husband’s death was not an accident.

In no uncertain terms, I’
Linda
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing worked; her mind continues to fade.

Clara Solberg is experiencing the deep dimension of an unspeakable collision. Her husband, Nick, crashed into a tree with their four year old daughter, Maisie, in the car. He had taken her to ballet class and had picked up Chinese takeout on his way home so that Clara could stay home with their newborn son.

But this horrendous collision is now within Clara herself. It's the collision of reality obliterating any sense of the normal life she and her childr
Melisa
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller, arc
Every Last Lie is right. So many lies.

I am a huge fan of Mary Kubica's writing. It is a slow burn and the suspense creeps up on you with time. While this particular story was a bit slower than my liking, it really picked up about half way through and left me breathless and needing to know which lie precipitated this awful tragedy. And yet, I felt totally let down by the conclusion. There was so much buildup and then it flatlined for me to the point where I feel like I am missing something, some
Diane S ☔
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
When the police leave Clare's house, she knows her life will never be the same. With her four year old daughter in the car, she was told Nick, driving too fast around a dangerous curve, hit a tree. He is dead but thankfully her young daughter is unhurt. She has recently given birth to their second child, a child Nick will not see up. When her daughter begins to have nightmares and day fears about a black car and a bad man, Clare starts to think that maybe there was more to Nick's death than it a ...more
Susanne  Strong
3 Stars.
A Solid read, which unfortunately yielded very little payoff.

Clara Solberg is a mother of newborn Felix, and little four-year old, Maisie. Her husband Nick is their world. Clara and Maisie worship the ground he walks on. That ground however, is not solid under Nick’s feet. He is a dentist in their small town. And unbeknownst to Clara, he is not a profitable one. Yet he pretends to be. Nothing in his life is as it seems. And once that life is taken from him in a car crash, Clara’s world c
Book of Secrets
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars → I do love Mary Kubica's writing, and in EVERY LAST LIE she presents an engrossing tale of a young mother named Clara facing her husband Nick's secrets and deceit just days after he dies in a car accident.

There was one witness to the crash, the couple's 4-year old daughter Maisie, who was strapped in her car seat and luckily unhurt. Clara begins to doubt the wreck was simply an accident when Maisie starts having nightmares about a "bad man" being after them. As she digs for clues, Cl
Susan Johnson
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vine
I was really glad to leave Clara Solberg behind me. I simply didn't like her. I felt sorry for her situation but she was just so self absorbed that it was hard to feel real empathy for her. In her late 20's and nursing a brand new baby days old, a knock comes to her door. Her husband, Nick, has been killed in a car wreck but her four year old daughter, Maisie, in the backseat comes through unscathed. Her daughter's safety barely registers with her but grief is a strange thing.

Then she does some
Gary
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking forward to reading this novel for sometime now and have had high hopes for it, so on reading it I am so pleased to be writing positive things rather than saying how disappointed I was.
The latest novel by author Mary Kubica is an excellent read and succeeded in keeping me up trying to finish it in an effort to discover the truth.
Clara Solberg's perfect life collapses the day her husband, Nick, and her daughter, Maisie are involved in a car crash. Nick is killed but fortunately
Carolyn
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2017, thriller
Clare Solberg is home with her new four day old baby when the police knock on her door to tell her that her husband Nick has died in a car accident. They tell her he was speeding and with the sun in his eyes, took a bend too fast, ran off the road and hit a tree. Fortunately, their little girl Maisie survived with barely a scratch. Now Clare must face life as a single Mum with two young children.

Struggling with her grief and sleep deprived looking after a new born, Clare has trouble accepting th
Brenda
Jul 28, 2017 added it
Shelves: 9-dnf
No rating. DNF at 86 pages. Book starts off with cops telling Clara, who has just given birth to a son four days ago, that her husband, Nick, has died in a car accident. The grief was palpable and I initially thought, “I don't need this right now.” As I read further, I realized a postpartum, sleep deprived, and grieving main character does not appeal to me. Neither do the many tantrums from the four year old daughter. The dentist husband’s chapters were sort of more interesting until money probl ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Nick? My Nick? It can't be.

Nick wouldn't hurt a fly or tell a lie... EVER.

Did Clara really know her Nick?

Nick's life kept spinning and spiraling out of control as debts mounted and his savings was depleted, and then the unthinkable happened.

Clara couldn't believe her husband was talking on the phone while driving, driving too fast around a curve when he had their daughter in the car, and having an affair.

When the police came to Clara's door and said there had been an accident, Clara didn't want
Linda Strong
Clara Solberg has a perfect life .... at least up until the day her husband, Nick, and her daughter, Maisie are in a car crash. Nick is killed, Maisie, fortunately, got nothing but a scratch.

The accident is ruled an accident ... Nick had been speeding and apparently lost control and rammed into a tree. However, Maisie is having night terrors, leaving Clara to think that maybe her husband was murdered.

Clara has to find out the truth. She can't sleep, she doesn't eat. She hasn't even told Maisie y
Judy Collins
The 30 Best Books of 2017

One of my very favorite authors, talented Mary Kubica returns following, the sensational Don’t You Cry, landing on my Top 10 Books of 2016 with yet another 5 star winner: EVERY LAST LIE — a compelling and clever domestic suspense of a young widow trying to make sense of her husband’s untimely death.

A marriage of secrets.

A slow-burning twisty psychological suspense. Heart-pounding, a tale of one woman's desperate search for answers. From an array of emotions —grie
JanB
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clara has just given birth to her second child when her husband Nick dies in an accident. (This is not a spoiler, it's how the book opens.) Their daughter Maisie has nightmares and terrors that leads Clara to suspect Nick's death was not an accident.

Told in alternating chapters with the POV of both Clara and Nick (before the accident) the pieces of the puzzle that led up to the accident are revealed. Clara's suspicions leads her to conduct an investigation of sorts, all while she's nav
Janine
Apr 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2017-books
Grief + Post-partum exhaustion = despair and paranoia

Mary Kubica is one of the better suspense writers in publishing. Her latest book does not disappoint. When Clara's husband Nick dies in a car crash just days after the birth of their son, Clara works to put back the pieces of her life and discover what really happened on the road that fateful day.

Kubica gives readers plenty of red herrings and lots of questions to keep us on our toes. The writing is tight and pages nearly turn themselves in t
Every time my family gets sick, my mind goes on a wild goose chase trying to pinpoint where we could have picked up the offending germ. It's ridiculous and pointless, I know, but it helps me somehow with the stress and inconvenience of it all. So I understood completely when Every Last Lie's unfortunate new widow needed an explanation for every single infraction that surfaced after the death of her husband. There are small lies, blatant omissions of truth, and substantial what the f*ck's.
“No
Erin Clemence
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clara’s husband, Nick, is killed in a car accident that leaves their young daughter, Maisie, remarkably unscathed. However, Maisie begins to suffer from night terrors, crying out about a “bad man” and asking “Daddy” to “save them” from the “bad man”. As Clara tries her best to soothe her daughter, she begins to wonder if it really was an accident that killed her husband and if not, who could be possibly want her husband dead?
Another spot-on, suspense-fueled, gripping psychological thriller fro
Debra
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Clara Solberg's life gets turned upside down when her husband and their four year old daughter, Maisie are in a car crash. Her husband, Nick, had taken Maisie to her ballet practice, picked up Chinese food and was on his way home when his car hit a tree, killing Nick but leaving Maisie unharmed.

Clara is not willing to believe that her husband's death is accidental. Her daughter is having nightmares about a bad man being after them. A bad man who may have been following then that tragic night. Cl
retronerd  Steinkuehler
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Will this book never end -aargh!!

First - an L shaped (90 degree angle) does not a hairpin turn make. She tries too hard to be descriptive - repeatedly.

Though Clara suffers a shattering loss, she is too helpless and unlikeable to garner much sympathy from this reader.
And the book does nothing to promote female intelligence. Not only is Clara a poor parent, she is a stupid woman.
And lazy. How difficult is it to let a dog pee outside rather than in the corner of a house. Yuck!!

And how can one no
Myrna
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I liked this book but I didn't find it as engrossing as her previous works. 3.5★s
Barbara
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it

Nick and Clara Solberg seem to be a happily married, successful young couple living on the outskirts of Chicago.....until something terrible happens.

Nick is driving his little girl home from ballet class when a terrible accident takes his life.....and miraculously spares his four-year-old daughter Maisie. Nick's wife Clara - who's home nursing their 4-day-old infant Felix when the tragedy occurs - is shocked and disoriented by the loss. One minute she's married to a successful dentist, and the
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
*4.5 stars
Since the release of the blockbuster debut novel The Good Girl, Mary Kubica has carved out a successful career in the suspense and psychological thriller field. Every Last Lie is Mary Kubica’s latest explosive read. It focuses on the fallout from a tragic accident that claims the life of Nick Solberg, a young dentist, a loving husband and a doting father of two children. Every Last Lie is a compelling read that outlines one young widow’s determinat
Carla Palmeiro
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
I guess I’m in the minority here but I did not like this book particularly much!

I’ve read all of Kubica’s books (4 I think!) but so far only The Good Girl really impressed me. The others were solid writing and compelling but there’s no better love that the first I guess.

In my country we have a saying: ‘E a montanha pariu um rato’ something like ‘and the mountain gave birth to a mouse’. Much ado about nothing really! That’s exactly what I thought after finishing ‘Every Last Lie’.

‘’’’’’’BIG SPO
Bookread2day
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review can be found on www.ireadnovels.wordpress.com and Twitter@favouritenovels
In my view Every Last Lie has been my favourite book by the author Mary Kubica.
I found that the characters were more believable, as in real-life people often die close to each other, I had two Nan's that died twenty-two days with in each other, just like in this novel.
I related to Clara Solberg giving birth with taking the baby home, getting no sleep, making your eyes feel heavy, as I had the same problem gettin
Vampires, Weres a...: Every Last Lie 5 16 Jan 05, 2018 03:49PM

• Only Ever Her
  • Best Day Ever
  • Bring Her Home
  • Here We Lie
Mary Kubica is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of four novels. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in History and American Literature. Mary lives outside of Chicago with her husband and two children.
“And so we stay and get soused in sadness. We get marinated in it and submerged. We let the sadness steep into every inlet of our beings, making us tender and weak.” 0 likes
“I wanted to see if you were okay," he says, and I curtly answer, "I'm fine," while wiping the tears from my eyes.” 0 likes