Start by marking “Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes” as Want to Read:
Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes

Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Who knew math could be so fun? These eighteen zany rhyming riddles involve addition, subtraction, and simple multiplication to calculate everything from poodle weights to travel time. And for anyone who's stumped, the answers are included in mirror -writing below each riddle.
J. Patrick Lewis's clever rhymes and kid-friendly illustrations by bestselling illustrator Frank R
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Arithme-Tickle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arithme-Tickle

Lexus Beedy
Personal reaction:
I loved this book and I know I will use it in my own classroom someday. I would definitely recommend this book to students for a fun way to work on math word problems and riddles.

Purpose:
While this book is about math word problems, counting, and riddles, it would be appropriate for kids aged 6-8 so that they would have prior knowledge of the needed math skills. It would be appropriate as a read aloud for kids around the same age. I really liked how this becomes interactive by
Tracy St. John
Although I am sad that these poems are of too high a level for my first graders, it is a book that I will definitely keep in mind if I am ever teaching older children! Each of these 19 unique poems is rhyme-y and catchy at a first read. Upon looking at these poems closer though they each hold a solvable math problem of sorts. I would love to use these for gifted students or “fast finishers” as a way to test their creative math solving skills. Because the author wanted math poems each of the poem ...more
Tami
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy J. Patrick Lewis' work and our whole family LOVED ARITHMETICKLE. We actually sat down with it (me, my husband, my 9-year-old and my 8-year-old) and read the poems and figured out the math problems within the poems together.

My husband and 9-year-old son love math and numbers, my 8-year-old daughter and I not so much, but we ALL enjoyed working the math riddles.

They are similar to the activities in the Dynamath series often used in 3rd and 4th grades as a fun and challenging supple
Becky B
This picture book is a collection of word problems written in rhyme sprinkled with a few riddles and one math trick (using fingers to calculate 9s products). The complexity of the problems makes the book most suited to upper elementary or middle school, but the illustrations would probably not make it popular above that (though the problems could be used in high school).

I would most likely use this book to provide transition or bell exercises, or for that kid who is always done early and bored.
Jacey
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this wouldn't be a book you could just read aloud to the class, it is a fun way to practice math skills! Different math problems are presented in rhyming riddle form and answers are provided to check your accuracy. It kind of spans many age levels though in that it has simple addition and subtraction problems along with multiplication and division problems.
Trang
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This books provides 18 different riddles that are kid-friendly yet challenging! Using addition, subtraction, and basic multiplication, you can handle a horse or jump on the moon! If any of these stump you, then you can find answers on the bottom but don't forget a mirror because you'll need it to understand your answer! Great to use for morning work that relates to math in fun ways.
Emily Kuhn
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
What a brilliant way to spark students' interest in math! Arithme-Tickle will tickle your students' funny bones while allowing them to practice their math skills. These challenging riddles would be a great way to begin a math lesson, and get students excited about the numerical fun to come.
Andrea
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Vibrant pictures make this humorous book of poetry readable. The poems which mostly rhyme challenge you to solve mathematical problems and have amusing characters like the poodle named Poo-poo-pee-doo.
KidsNonFiction Teton County Library
J 513 Lewis
Kay gave this book 4 stars because it gives children the opportuity to have fun with math. The book contains 18 riddles for the children to try to solve. Most of the math involved addition and subtraction and the riddles will have the children thinking.
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grades 3-4 SLJ
gives practice doing story problems/ riddles, cute illustrations
Karan Johnstone
Cute book of math riddles. This book would be good to use for morning work.
Sam
Great way to start every math lesson, it is fun and can be an easy introduction into any lesson.
David
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extra neat math book. My kids really liked it. These were a bit easier than the other math book we read today. I could do them in my head (mostly).
Alison Lake
My math class enjoyed this book, but some of the math riddles were quite challenging.
Debby Baumgartner
Can you solve theses number problem poems?
Leia-Catherine
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Really fun puzzles to figure out!!
Kristen
Reminiscent of Greg Tang's math riddles.
Jo Oehrlein
Rhyming puzzles that are mostly just word problems. A few are puzzlers (how much dirt is in a hole you've dug).
Melanie Swider Wenz
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, math, poetry
Love this book - such a great way to integrate math and literacy! Kids love trying to solve the rhymes!
Julie Webb
Rachel Trivette
Jun 08, 2016
Theresa Stadt
Mar 15, 2017
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis