Start by marking “Toot Toot Beep Beep” as Want to Read:
Toot Toot Beep Beep

Toot Toot Beep Beep

Colorful cars beep-beep, toot-toot, vroom-vroom, and whoosh across these collage-like pages, inviting kids along on an entertaining trip. Little ones will love joining in with the sounds, reading them aloud as they watch a little red jeep, big blue van, sleek black sports car, long pink limousine, and big yellow taxi pass by. But what do you get when all these vehicles mak ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Boxer Books

To ask other readers questions about Toot Toot Beep Beep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toot Toot Beep Beep

Caroline Barron_Author
Although this onomatopoeic read-aloud book has several positive elements, the lack of a narrative would have it better suited to a board book for 0-3 year olds.

‘Toot Toot Beep Beep’ begins with ‘Look at all this traffic!’ and proceeds to use interesting language to describe what various vehicles are doing throughout the day.

The book supports learning through use of prepositions (up, down, around, in, out); onomatopoeia (beep, vroom, honk, toot); and colours, vehicles and adjectives
Emma
This book is pretty nice I guess, and it's nice to have something about the traffic, seeing as Ll is fascinated by it, but it annoys me that it tokenistically and in a really pc way makes only two of the vehicles female, which are a pink limousine (great, when are we ever going to see one of those?) and I forget some other one. Why not just go all the way and make half of them female? And at least one of the tough vehicles like a big truck. Why not?
*edit*
OK, three of the vehicles are
Beth
Apr 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, borntoread
Charming and colorful book of different cars driving around. Simple yet lively text and colorful illustrations (each vehicle has "eyes" for headlights!) makes this great for toddler and preschool storytime. Kids can make the sound along with the reader.
Sam
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Did anyone else feel put off by the gender choices for these cars. Like women are vans and pink limos? Whats that? Why even make them have gender?
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Preschool Story Time on 5/4/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Time (at another branch) on 8/22/12:

Read at Preschool Story Time (at another branch) on 8/22/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 8/31/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Moms Club Story Time on 11/9/14: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at preschool story time on 1/18/17: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Erin Buhr
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
From the first few pages, it is clear that Emma Garcia has a great understanding of young children. Toddlers love cars. Toddlers love car sounds. This colorful playful book catalogs a parking garage full of cars that "vroom vroom" "whoosh whoosh" and "brmm brmm" as they speed past. Garcia skillfully embeds a wide range of vocabulary from transportation words like "taxi" and "limousine" to color and size words like "pink" and "long". A perfect read aloud for the many of toddlers out there eager t ...more
Angela
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Strong shapes and colors in the illustrations, and large letters with adequate white space. Good repetition in the text, without getting boring. It would be a great choice for teaching colors to car enthusiasts. Also, all the different action words are great for learning about synonyms.

I would have really liked this book if the headlights had been different. They look like eyes! I'm probably in the minority, but I found that kind of offputting (almost creepy).
jacky
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Natalie really likes this one. She has shown more interest in cars recently, so I got this out thinking she might like it. She has asked for it every night since we first read it. I like how it shows different types of cars and different colors. The sounds are fun.

This could be a great tool for teaching older students how synonyms and adjectives really make a different in writing.
Kelly
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
My son who loves cars loves this book! It is great for teaching colors. We've even used it to learn some sight words and letters. The sounds the cars make appear in big letter on the page, making it easy to use this book for the purpose of teaching some letters. My son asks for this book over and over again. Of course I'm sure he loves the funny sound mommy and daddy make while reading it.
Great Books
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-4
Beep, beep goes the little red jeep, vroom, vroom goes the black sports car. The littlest readers will love joining in, while the jeep, the big blue van that goes toot, toot and the other cars make their special sounds while rolling across the pages in this study board book. The colorful cars all join together to make a lot of noise, but wait they are all quiet in the parking lot! Reviewer 19
Barbara
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
More appealing toddler fodder from the author of 'Tip, Tip, Dig, Dig', this time about different types of cars and colors. Each car has a different sound word to chant out loud. Big clear illustrations for storytime.
Joy
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Very simple picture book about various vehicles and the sounds they make. The art looks like a mixture of painting and collage - lots of simple, strong shapes and bright colors. The text and concept is simple enough to use with toddlers; I'll be using this in a transportation-themed storytime.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be great for a transportation OR colors story-time. Children will love making all the different sounds and identifying the bright colors. Not as long as some of the other transportation books I've used in the past.
Vicki
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A fun book for vehicle lovers. Fun noises and great pictures. Used clipart pictures to retell the story and the children loved be able to place a vehicle on the marker board using poster putty during storytime.
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, print awareness, vocabulary, & phonological awareness. Activities - Read, talk, & play. Different colors, cars, and sounds help young readers have fun while learning about the world around them.
Leah
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bright colors, fun illustrations, simple story, and lots of opportunities for kids to chime in naming the colors or even with car noises -- sure to be a storytime hit! Great for the younger set. Update: used in July 2012 storytime and it was great!
Guen
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a realy fun book. It covers differnt types of cars, colors, and great new vocabulary words. My 5-year-old son and my 2-year-old daughter both enjoy it and I enjoy reading it too them. My kids also enjoy pointing out the bird on each page.
Kristen
A good toddler time read, especially for those kids who love automobiles. I enjoy the illustrations and had fun having the kids repeat all the car sounds with me in story time. The interactive possibilities with this book are fun.
Betty
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
"whoosh whoosh" goes the long pink limousine...first time hearing my son "read" an entire book. It was awesome.
Angela
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Christopher loves this book. We read it every night. He loves to make all of the car sounds.
Library Quine
An attractive book about traffic with a different noise and colour for each vehicle. Lots of noises and repetition, a fun book for car lovers.
Lolo
Dec 08, 2013 added it
he will say toot toot beep beep
Edna
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Look at all this traffic" prefaces a typical day of brightly colored vehicles and the unique sounds they make.
Amy Brown
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sequel to Tip Tip Dig Dig but not as good. Still a transportation story that can be used in storytime.
Danielle
This is a good book to get children to participate by making the vehicle sounds with you but the pictures are not very nice looking.
Brindi Michele
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great for a story time about nosies, the city, or cars. Kids will have fun making the noises, and this would be a great flannel board or apron/prop story.
Heather
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A very cute book for little boys. I especially like the ending, where you're prompted to say "nighty night" to the cars preparing to "sleep" in the parking garage.
Molly
Good choice for Bunny hop. Large, pictures, with bold colors, limited words and lots of sounds.
Prplpckl
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-anabel
Great book of onomatopoeia and action words. A great book for a child who love cars.
Lisa
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Good adjectives and examples of various vehicles. A great book for toddlers!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • Little Tug
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Diggers Go
  • I Love Trucks!
NEVER GOOGLE HEARTBREAK is Emma's first novel very loosely based around her own experiences of being in her thirties and single in London, of being dumped, getting over it, and falling for it all over again. She has worked as a waitress, technical assistant, chambermaid, sandwich designer, product manager, illustrator and teacher, and spent a while traveling and working in Asia. She has also writt ...more