Start by marking “Surviving Gretchen” as Want to Read:
Surviving Gretchen

Read Book

Surviving Gretchen

(The Storms of Friendship)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Abby and Emma aren't just best friends. They're like two life forces sharing the same soul, certain the ties that bind them can weather any storm. Then Gretchen comes into their lives, blowing across the landscape of their friendship like a hurricane. Will Abby and Emma survive Gretchen?

Surviving Gretchen, the first book in Bonnie Daly's The Storms of Friendship series, is
Paperback, First Edition, 274 pages
Published October 24th 2016 by Lune Spark LLC

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Gretchen, please sign up.
Bonnie Daly Thanks for your interest in reading Surviving Gretchen, Tammie. :)

Thanks for your interest in reading Surviving Gretchen, Tammie. :)

Please let me know which email address you'd like your ARC sent to and I'll get it out to you. (less)
Bonnie Daly Hi Mary,

Of course. :)

If you give me your email address I'll send an ARC straight out to you.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Archit Ojha

From the depths of that thing called heart : 5 Stars!

Take All My Stars Away, Please!!

I'm so exited right now that I want to write everything in CAPS-LOCK!

Wow! Just Wow! What a thoughtful plot!

Abby and Emma are two best friends whom only death can separate. They have known each other since the enternity and there's nothing that can come in between their friendship.

Or so we thought?

Gretchen, a spoilt girl who knows nothing except to maintain her status, arrives into the picture and refuses to lea
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, ya, author-request
I was provided a copy of this book from the author for an unbiased review.

Emma and Abby are best friends out of school for the summer, excited about their days on the swim team at the local lake. Gretchen, the eponymous antagonist, wishes to have Abby as her best friend and provoked Emma throughout the story.

There is little to no character description or development, so I'm uncertain why Gretchen dislikes Emma as much as she does. Hints to "bring beneath her" are mentioned, but that's odd becau
Mischenko
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to Bonnie for providing me with an ARC copy of this book! I loved this story and found the characters to be very interesting. The epilogue ties it all together in the end, just perfect. Anxious to read more from this author. Highly recommend to anyone, especially young adults.
Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger)
I was kindly provided a copy of this book for an honest review.
This is the first book in the author's series The Storms of Friendship. There is no cliffhanger.

This story is told from different points of view, which I believe is necessary for the reader to obtain important information. Also, as in any disagreement, there is always more than one side to the story. Since I've encountered too many people like Gretchen in my own life, I share the same mistrust as Emma. However, I do understand Abby w
Susan Hagan
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I actually read this book as though i was a teenage :) because I wanted to enjoy this to the fullest. There are very few books today that are written on what a true friendship is. Reading this book I felt like everyone must have their children read this book as they are growing up to make them realize that a friendship doesn't just happen on the surface. That it takes lot of patience and tests to keep a friendship healthy.

Two girls, best friends, inseparable by any means. Their trust
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"We're going to have the best summer ever Emma said, still trying hard to contain herself but not really succeeding as she was now jumping up and down again, her long brown hair flapping all around her. A few kids stifled laughter as they walked by, but Emma was oblivious. "Indeed we will," Abby said, amused by her friends antics."........

Emma and Abby are the best of friends. Their families and siblings close. The summer is just beginning and they have lots of fun planned. Nothing can come betw
Cathy McLeese
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Received a free advanced copy over the weekend and could not put it down. The characters both delighted and intrigued me from the very first pages, beckoning me into their world. Great read, can't wait for the next one.
Ritu Mishra
If you ever wonder how can confusion ever creep up between two best friends, and what it takes to clear it up, you've got to read this book. It is such a beautiful story about two girls who'd do anything for each other. But then, when a girl called Gretchen arrives, with her only aim to separate them, their friendship is throughly tested.

While the book shows how important are human bonds, and relationships, it also shows that the author has a very good eye for humor. A number of the scenes in t
Amy Vedder
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book, especially the teens, to understand what a real friendship is all about. There are times when the friendship bond needs to show it's strength in staying strong during testing times.

Abby & Emma's story is everyone's story. We all get stuck in demanding situations where everything around seems to be misleading us. These are the times when we need to trust our best friends with their intentions.

I loved how the writer developed every character, specifically Gretc
Savannah Evanoff
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully written, it shows an inspirational story about two inseparable best friends. When they meet Gretchen, everything changes. This is a story about trust, not only that but maintaining your friendships not matter how hard people will try to pull you apart.

I fully recommend this to book to teenagers and really anyone. It doesn't matter who you are, this story can show to inspire anyone and give you a new perspective on society and friendship.
Paul
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quirky book about two life-long best friends whose friendship is threatened by a near-tragedy and a conniving rival who would divide them. It’s a great book about how fragile such relationships are and the lengths to which we will sometimes go when our friendship is on the line.

It also promises to be the first of a series, so I am anxious to read about Abby and Emma and their crazy brothers (and Ozzy the goat) again.

Probably 4.5 stars, but rounding it up for Goodreads.
DJ
Thanks, Bonnie Daly for the ARC of this book.

This is going to be a tough one to review. What I thought was YA was more an MG book. And I have a difficult time reviewing an MG book...probably because it's been a long, long while since I've read an MG and I feel like I should be doing a book report or something.

Abby and Emma are BFFs. As in do everything together, share secrets, have fights, have life-altering death scares. (Yep, that one was unique to me.) Like any good set of BFFs. Then Gretche
Carol
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A near death experience, loss of confidence in
ones self, family relationship, trust, forgiveness.
love plus humor in the form of a pigmy goat
make this an interesting read.
Two girls who are best friends from childhood
are inseparable. They have trusted each other
and relied on each other for thirteen years.
Then along comes Gretchen. She is new to the area,
very opinionated, spoiled and use to getting her way.
Will Gretchen be able to ruin a lifetime friendship with
trickery, insincerity and vicio
Valerie
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoy middle grade stories and this was one that fit the bill for me. I enjoyed the story of Abby and Emma and how their friendship is tested, by a new person. The book for me was written in away that makes you feel how each of the girls is impacted during this trying time in their friendship.

There was some elements of this book that were different from the traditional story. For example, Ozzy the goat. This made me smile each time a scene occurred with him in it. I really enjoyed that it was
Rose Collins
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written friendship story about a pair of thirteen year old girls.
Abby and Emma, two inseparable best friends find their lifetime of closeness tested with the arrival of a vicious new girl to their class.
Spoilt and spiteful Gretchen will stop at nothing to shatter their friendship, her non-stop dirty tricks and pack of lies aimed at dividing Abby & Emma forever.

Are 13 years of trust enough to render a friendship immune to all threats.
Is the friendship strong enough to withstand
Erin Clemence
2.5 stars rounded up to 3.
Thanks to the author for the chance to read and review this novel. It wasn't for me (that happens!) so out of respect, I have sent the review privately to the author and it won't be posted here right away.
Chelsea Allen
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! It’s a story I would highly recommend for young and old alike. The narrator's take on things is priceless. BTW, do not bypass the prologue!
Christine
Thank you again Bonnie for providing me with a copy of this ARC

This is a mostly contemporary middle grade story about two friends whose relationship is tested by a girl new to their swim team. Now, I don't read a lot of middle grade. I haven't in a few years. I don't have a lot to compare it to so this will be subjective.

There are a few things I thought were done really well. For one, the sibling and family relationships in here are healthy and realistic. They spent a fair amount of time with
Cassie C
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. Review to come!

Update 11/5/16: