Start by marking “Sycorax's Daughters” as Want to Read:
Sycorax's Daughters

Sycorax's Daughters

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A powerful, revealing anthology of dark fiction and poetry by Black women writers. The tales of what scares, threatens and shocks them will enlighten and entertain you.

Sycorax’s Daughters’ stories and poems delve into demons and shape shifters from Carole McDonnell’s “How to Speak to the Bogeyman” and Sheree Renée Thomas’ “Tree of the Forest Seven Bells Turns the World Rou
Published February 21st 2017 by Cedar Grove Books

To ask other readers questions about Sycorax's Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sycorax's Daughters

Narrelle
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminist, horror
Cedar Grove Publishing continues to produce intriguing books that focus on diversity, in both writers and subjects. After books like The Soul of Harmony, Fast Pitch and Pin Drop, Cedar Grove's latest offering is Sycorax's Daughters, a horror anthology written by African-American women.

Sycorax is the mother of Caliban in Shakespeare's The Tempest, but she's never seen in the play. Despite this erasure, Sycorax's presence permeates the story: the powerful witch who was banished while pregnant; thr
Angela Smith
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sycorax, in Shakespeare’s play The Tempest, is mute. Her tale is told by others. Her feelings and motives are property of those who know her and take it upon themselves to decipher her to the audience. Sycorax was not given a voice.

Her daughters—the 33 women of color who contributed these stories—have rich voices that refuse to whisper. Their words lay on the page with strong marks—bold lines that break boundaries.

Their stories are dark and Gothic. Stitched in moments of fear, the authors of Syc
Linda Addison
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As one of the editors I am so deeply excited that this book is available to introduce to readers some wonderful, chilling work by African-American women authors they may not have read before.
Cherrelle Shelton
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading so many short stories written by so many women of color. There were a few poems that I didn't really like too much, but that didn't take away from the awesomeness of the overall anthology. Overall, I loved reading each short story, but my top 5 favorites were:
1. Tree of the Forest Seven Bells Turn the World Round Midnight by Sheree Renee Thomas
2. Letty by Regina N. Bradley
3. Ma Laja by Tracey Baptiste (the way this one was written was a pleasure...and a big change from t
Sharyle Roberts
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book especially knowing the stories and poems were written by women like me. My family has a waiting list waiting to pass the book to another to read.
Wendy S. Delmater
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am very in favor of people telling their unique stories, as a way of bridging any cultural gaps. And speculative fiction is an excellent vehicle for that. So when Linda Addison offered me a chance to review Sycorax’s Daughters, I jumped at the chance. It’s a hefty read; over 500 pages long so you’ll get your money’s worth.

Sycorax was a black sorceress in Shakespeare’s The Tempest. In the introductions, Dr. Brooks says, “our project fills the lacunae by privileging Black women’s visions of self
Nick Cato
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review 4/24 at thehorrorfictionreview.blogspot.com
Sumayyah
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are Sycorax's Daughters

Sycorax's Daughters are us. We are the saviors, the monsters, the witches, the the magic personified. Billed as horror, some stories fall under the speculative umbrella, and leave the reader with thoughts to ponder. Others leave the reader inexplicably chilled and turning on every light possible. Poetry is interspersed and offers views on love, death, and redemption.
Gregstolze
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
My initial impression of SYCORAX’S DAUGHTERS was injured by bad layout. If that doesn’t bother you, great, lucky you, but once I saw it I couldn’t unsee it. Specifically, I couldn’t unsee it in the whole 500+ page book. Mid-line paragraph breaks, orphaned dashes, all kinds of strange arrangement errors… it looks like it was exported straight from a word processor.
That’s too bad, because there is a lot to like in here. My tastes run more towards fiction than poetry, but I read everything cover to
L. Wood
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So, I'm biased because I am in it! :-) I had never read some of the other authors' work and I have to say, I am honored to be among them. Want a quick horror fiction fix? Check this collection out!
A.E.
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the highest quality anthologies I have read this year--highlighting the short stories and poems of Black women writers. Similarly to "Dark Mojo: Conjure Stories," this is an anthology with an unparalleled quality and features some of the most impactful and hard-hitting fiction I've read in a very long time. This should be on everyone's radar and definitely deserves some recognition come award season.
Alex
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the ambition of this anthology. It kicks in the door and dares people to refuse to see black women in horror. While I think as an anthology it would have been more powerful at half the length, the size and volume of authors carries its own message. There’s much to love in this tome, as it is a finalist for the Bram Stoker award this year, and I’ve highlighted a few.

“The Monster” by Crystal Connor hits one of my favorite zones: the urban fears of the rural (and in particular the rural sou
Amy L. Campbell
Feb 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: recommended-blog
suggested by bookriot
A.J. Locke
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Karen Rawlings
Dec 27, 2017
TheLastQueen88
rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2017
Rochon Perry
Oct 19, 2017
Regina Bradley
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
L.H. Moore
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jennifer L. Julian
Jun 24, 2017
Walidah Imarisha
Feb 12, 2017
Callaloocat
Sep 09, 2017
Lawana Holland-Moore
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Pat

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Penmarric
    $17.99 $1.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Hippopotamus
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
“the ways Black people are portrayed as the ultimate evil to justify historically and currently our exploitation, containment, and murders; the fact that for Black people and other people of color, the history of slavery, genocide, white supremacy, and colonialism is the only true horror story, and it is one we continue to live every day; and the fact that resistance of the oppressed to these structures has always been seen as the most frightful abomination that could be birthed. Through” 1 likes
“While the larger white society lives in terror of liberated Blackness, of the “demons” unleashed coming after them, we know many of our spirits haunt us out of love, out of a desire for all that was unfairly stolen from them.” 1 likes