Start by marking “The Summer of Us” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Us

The Summer of Us

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  932 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
It’s going to be a long hot summer.

John is an exceptionally good lawyer. He’s driven, arrogant and hides a warm heart underneath a façade of cool politeness. He’s used to people disliking him but for some reason when meeting Matt in London the other man’s open dislike of him bothers him. He’s therefore surprised to find himself offering Matt a place to stay in his villa in
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 228 pages
Published November 22nd 2016 by Lily Morton

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Us

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Sexy, enemies (eventually friends) to lovers, perfect HEA, and a villa in France. What's not to love?

Quite a bit actually.

1. The GFY was pitifully undeveloped; there's a hint that John might be bi (which of course he is), but it's brushed aside. For John it's all about Matt; hot and yet not, because bisexuals aren't unicorns, people.

2. Weird appearances by Matt's ex-boyfriend and John's ex-wife. Everyone just kept showing up at John's villa overlooking Cannes like it was a community center or
☆ Todd
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it

There was a good bit in this story to like, but it didn't entirely work for me, either.

I liked both John and Matt, but the pacing was pretty slow, so the story felt soooooo looooong.

I was less thrilled with the amount of steam, by which I mean that PENISES SHOULD BE PUT AWAY SOMETIMES.

I'm not a prude, but once I've had my fill of sex on-page, I'm looking for the fast forward button on the remote and pulling a big ole' commercial skip until that shit's tucked away again. :- /

#SometimesLessIsMore

A
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

This book had potential, I actually enjoyed the first 40% a lot. I love slow burns but I think if you stretch it too much you just kill the sexual tension and when they finally get together the reader has lost interest. That's what happened to me.

My 2 stars don't mean I hate the book. I thought it was ok, it was an easy read but I just didn't love it.
There was some unnecessary drama that made me roll my eyes. I say this with all due respect but authors please do not create Disney villains. Reade
Pianka *call me PIU*

“The Summer of Us” is a very sweet and romantic read which combines three tropes of GFY, “enemies to lovers” and also “friends to lovers”. There is very minimal angst in this read and I loved how the author beautifully writes the GFY part in the story. The romance is very engaging and passionate. Both the MCs were very different characters but in a very base way were completely similar with emotional baggages and past hurts. I loved them both and rooted for them wholeheartedly.

John Harr
BR11
Such a nice story ruined by bad editing. I cannot imagine how this was published like this. I think the author's and editor's laptops both were misding the comma key. Otherwise it's inexplicable how we ended up with this book.
I~❤️~Books
I really liked it!
Renée
Aug 23, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, lqbtq
While I feel like there could be a decent story unfolding, the grammar and lack of editing is so abysmal, that I can't even continue.
Meep
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Kept thinking I should like this more than I did. It's a slow sweet story, but unfortunately I never connected making it a long read.

I think a lot of the issue was first person present tense, being told by a character how they appear to others feels odd. And a little repetitive.

It's so slow-burn that the fizz was gone by the time they got together. In fact the frequently given chance for second thoughts were voiced so often I had second thoughts about the wisdom of it.
And all the getting to know
Alex
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feel-good, steamy, gfy
That was very, very sweet.

The GFY aspect totally worked for me here. It's often not the case as several things tend to piss me off in this kind of stories but not here. This was done beautifully!

John and Matt were both adorable. The story was sweet and, as usual as I discovered with this author, The characters banter and quick wit were great and funny.

I'm so glad I found this author. her books are a balm of sweet, funny and hot...

description
Chris
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
3.5 stars for this sweet yet snarky romance. I enjoyed the build between John & Matt and found them both to be unique characters. I can certainly see Lily's style now after reading two books in a row and the use of humour, sarcasm and sass is the main formula. This was fun and somewhat light.
Claudia
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
June 2018
I love this book. I think I loved it the second time around even more than the first.
it is a great story which I really enjoyed

October 2017
I really, really liked this story. it was great to read about someone who discovers a great person and falls in love with him without throwing a tantrum because the gender is different than he expected

John and Matt are great together and there is great chemistry
both characters are vulnerable and have their faults and I love them for that.

can't wait t
Mia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

I do loved this book. An enemy to friends to lovers and GFY story of John and Matt.

Gonna write more review later.
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Note to self: See Dani's review for reason to pass on this book.
Joyfully Jay
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I fell hard for Lily Morton’s writing this fall when I read Rule Breaker and later Deal Maker, so I couldn’t resist going back to pick up this slightly older work by the author. The Summer of Us has that intensity that comes from two people spending a long, hot summer together, building a relationship during that magical time away from their regular lives. I loved the connection between John and Matt and the way their relationship bloomed, moving from men who did
Kyuteepie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5 stars

Quite unrealistic and everyone was too rich, beautiful and kind expect the evil ex-wife. It got a little on my nerves how often they called each other "Johnny" and "Matty". Also the talk about John's sexuality felt incomplete. It was told more like a GFY rather than the MC discovering he's actually gay/bi.

Despite that I still enjoyed the story.
Tina
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing

4,5 stars.

OMG... I'm on a Lily Morton roll! Loved John and Matt so much.

After reading Rule Breaker and Deal Maker I was so glad to find another amazing M/M story written by her.

Highly recommended!
Pjm12
My last book of 2017.

Read because of author. Matt and John spend a realistic amount of time getting to know each other before John surrenders. I loved that the rock group were peripheral to the main story.

I loved the French sightseeing, and smexy when it finally arrived, was hot hot hot!! Lovely epilogue.

Happy 2018 everyone.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Liked this, but not as much as her lastest book.
Santy
I absolutely loved this.

Matt and John were funny, witty, open and just perfect for each other. They complemented each other and reading about their progress from friends, to lovers and then to partners was just a joy. It also didn’t hurt that the UST between them for most of the book was written perfectly. When they finally came together too, Wowza! I damn near swooned. *happy sigh*

Lily Morton’s writing here reminded me of why I love British humour so much. It always has a kick that leaves me la
Achim
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Following rich and beautiful people and their problems but not in a Mary Calmes OTT setup - the guys are too sweet and nice for that but it was nice to spent some time with them.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This was a fun book to read. In keeping with my quest to devour Lily Morton's work, or at least her MM work, I discovered this story, which I believe is her first foray into MM romance.

Set up as a GFY, or as John says, it's more of a Matty for you. The men start off as enemies, or at least totally in disgust with each other but when circumstances force them together for a few months, they see the real person under the personas they've adopted.

Sweet and simple, there is of course a hiccup aroun
Lelyana
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, mm, steamy, stand-alone

This is not my Lily Morton's first book, but this one is her first MM. So yeah.
As much as I loved Mix Messages series, because the series are hilarious and way much developing in the stories, and especially Billy (read Deal Maker), I couldn't loved this book as much as Mix Messages series.
Maybe it's because this is her first MM? The writing is still trying to find the pattern, imo, an a bit too much coincidence, at some parts, I even felt like I read MF.
Matt and John were kinda getting in my ne
Emma
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A few issues but I did enjoy it so 2.5* rounded up.

I wanted to read Rule Breaker but as it was not yet released at the time I thought I would try out this book instead. I fairly quickly realized that it had characters from her prior books and I did feel a bit lost at times because of this. I don't really like joining in on a series part way through. So after finishing this book I went back and read the first three Beggar's Choice books. Because those books are M/F and each follow a different ban
Staci
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't read the previous series with these characters but I don't feel like I missed anything major. Just maybe how close Matt really was to Bram his friend since childhood.

I pictured John being a prim and proper John Gandy and Matt as Chris Hemsworth. You can't go wrong with that combination now can you?

John has never been attracted to men but as time goes on he becomes fascinated with Matt. And while Matt wears his heart on his sleeve, he doesn't want to be a straight man's experiment even t
Daphne
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, 2018-books
Lily Morton’s MM is shaping up to be a one click for me.
D.
Mar 04, 2018 added it
I rarely DNF books, especially not at eight percent, but the punctuation and (consequentially) dialogue in this book is enough to make a person cry.
Dara Nelson
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let's just start this with.....OMG!!! All trepidation about reading a brand-new-to-me author flew out the window within the first few pages of this book. The mark of a great book for me:
1) Humor - This book had that a lot, tons of it, snort-laugh out loud stuff:
"Ssh!" I put my finger to my mouth. "Ouch, what happened there?"
"You poked yourself in the eye," he says patiently.
Seriously - the scene when Matt has a 'loopy' reaction to pain meds is one of the funniest I've ever read.
2) Melancholy -
CJ at Book Happiness
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Title: The Summer of Us
Author: Lily Morton
Release Date: 11/22/16
Series: Spin-Off of Beggar's Choice Series but can be read as standalone.

I stepped outside my comfort zone, since I don’t normally read the M/M genre, and found myself completely enthralled.

John and Matt are perfect for each other but haven’t figured that out just yet because not both of them are gay. The friendship that they are developing is turning into something that neither of them were expecting. They connect easily, despite
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.25* sweet, low angst love story about men finding their person. Both have ex's that show up in the story to potentially cause trouble and I liked the low angst, straightforward approach this author took. There was conflict, just not the contrived, obvious miscommunication type. It was slightly too sweet in some of the love dialogue, but I couldn't help myself and liked it too, even while thinking it was a bit unrealistic between two strong men. I didn't read any other books in the series which ...more
Shielvin
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Almost DNF.. i’ve expected more since i did read rule breaker first and really enjoy it.. but this book totally another level from that.. i hate it when the author forgot to put punctuation, especially the commas.. it’s like, don’t you have beta reader or even editor before you publish your book? 😓 i only like the story until pages 70ish..
Lily lives in sunny England with her husband and two children, all of whom claim that they haven't had a proper conversation with her since she got her Kindle.
She has spent her life with her head full of daydreams, and decided one day to just sit down and start writing about them. In the process she discovered that she actually loved writing because how else would she get to spend her time with ho
“I don’t always want to see and be seen at the best parties, because I’ve done that for too many years. I want something real and true.” I pause and shoot him a sideways look. “I want a real partner, not a boyfriend who brings home a twenty two year old twink to make up a threesome for my birthday present.”
“What the fuck?”
I look at him and start laughing helplessly. “I just wanted the latest Jeremy Clarkson biography.”
0 likes
“I am naked because I am going for a swim,” he says happily. Then he laughs loudly, clutching his side. “Oh Johnny you look like an outraged Victorian chaperone. You just need a pearl necklace to clutch.” He waggles his eyebrows lecherously. “I can definitely help you out with that.” 0 likes