Start by marking “The Summer of Us” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Us

The Summer of Us

(Beggar's Choice)

It’s going to be a long hot summer.

John is an exceptionally good lawyer. He’s driven, arrogant and hides a warm heart underneath a façade of cool politeness. He’s used to people disliking him but for some reason when meeting Matt in London the other man’s open dislike of him bothers him. He’s therefore surprised to find himself offering Matt a place to stay in his villa in
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 228 pages
Published November 22nd 2016 by Lily Morton

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Us

Start your review of The Summer of Us
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Sexy, enemies (eventually friends) to lovers, perfect HEA, and a villa in France. What's not to love?

Quite a bit actually.

1. The GFY was pitifully undeveloped; there's a hint that John might be bi (which of course he is), but it's brushed aside. For John it's all about Matt; hot and yet not, because bisexuals aren't unicorns, people.

2. Weird appearances by Matt's ex-boyfriend and John's ex-wife. Everyone just kept showing up at John's villa overlooking Cannes like it was a community center or
☆ Todd
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it

There was a good bit in this story to like, but it didn't entirely work for me, either.

I liked both John and Matt, but the pacing was pretty slow, so the story felt soooooo looooong.

I was less thrilled with the amount of steam, by which I mean that PENISES SHOULD BE PUT AWAY SOMETIMES.

I'm not a prude, but once I've had my fill of sex on-page, I'm looking for the fast forward button on the remote and pulling a big ole' commercial skip until that shit's tucked away again. :- /

#SometimesLessIsMore

A
Sheri
Okay.
Yeah, I thought it was ok.
It could very well be my mood. I was looking for an easy comfort read and I barely felt the hug or tug of my lips. Usually, Morton woos me and wins me over.
John and Matt = an opposites-attract, sexual awakening, walk into the sunset HEA.
All of the elements were there...I just missed the concoction mixing and blending like it always does with Lily's guys.
Maybe she's grown into her craft since this 'earlier' book?
Maybe I'm just having an 'off' day.
Not bad at al
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

This book had potential, I actually enjoyed the first 40% a lot. I love slow burns but I think if you stretch it too much you just kill the sexual tension and when they finally get together the reader has lost interest. That's what happened to me.

My 2 stars don't mean I hate the book. I thought it was ok, it was an easy read but I just didn't love it.
There was some unnecessary drama that made me roll my eyes. I say this with all due respect but authors please do not create Disney villains. Reade
BR11
Such a nice story ruined by bad editing. I cannot imagine how this was published like this. I think the author's and editor's laptops both were misding the comma key. Otherwise it's inexplicable how we ended up with this book.
Pianka *call me PIU*

“The Summer of Us” is a very sweet and romantic read which combines three tropes of GFY, “enemies to lovers” and also “friends to lovers”. There is very minimal angst in this read and I loved how the author beautifully writes the GFY part in the story. The romance is very engaging and passionate. Both the MCs were very different characters but in a very base way were completely similar with emotional baggages and past hurts. I loved them both and rooted for them wholeheartedly.

John Harr
Lyndy Ann ♫
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4 Summer Nights stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

I really enjoyed this, it was a nice relaxing read spending time with two good men in a villa in the South of France, it felt like I was on a summer holiday myself.

When John and Matt first met there was a misunderstanding so they both disliked each other with a passion.

They have the same friends and one asks Matt for a big favour go to France for three months to manage the renovation of his house. John is already planning on going  to his own villa over summer so b
Catherine
May 05, 2019 marked it as dnf
*** DNF around 15-20% ***

The story may have been okay, but the writing was pretty bad. Hard to believe that this is the same Lily Morton that wrote Rule Breaker.
Renée
Aug 23, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, mm-romance
While I feel like there could be a decent story unfolding, the grammar and lack of editing is so abysmal, that I can't even continue.
Meep
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Kept thinking I should like this more than I did. It's a slow sweet story, but unfortunately I never connected making it a long read.

I think a lot of the issue was first person present tense, being told by a character how they appear to others feels odd. And a little repetitive.

It's so slow-burn that the fizz was gone by the time they got together. In fact the frequently given chance for second thoughts were voiced so often I had second thoughts about the wisdom of it.
And all the getting to know
Alex
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, feel-good, gfy
That was very, very sweet.

The GFY aspect totally worked for me here. It's often not the case as several things tend to piss me off in this kind of stories but not here. This was done beautifully!

John and Matt were both adorable. The story was sweet and, as usual as I discovered with this author, The characters banter and quick wit were great and funny.

I'm so glad I found this author. her books are a balm of sweet, funny and hot...

description
Chris
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
3.5 stars for this sweet yet snarky romance. I enjoyed the build between John & Matt and found them both to be unique characters. I can certainly see Lily's style now after reading two books in a row and the use of humour, sarcasm and sass is the main formula. This was fun and somewhat light. ...more
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Liked this, but not as much as her lastest book.
Caz
B+ / 4.5 stars.

Read for the July prompt in the 2019 TBR Challenge (contemporary romance)

Unlike the historicals prompt, where I always have lots of books to choose from, the contemporaries one usually sees me scrabbling around to find something to read because I like to choose my TBR Challenge reads from books I already own – and contemps aren’t really my thing so I don’t buy many.  I did, however, find a handful on my Kindle and, having recently enjoyed Lily Morton’s Rule Breaker in audio, (seri
Cadiva
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lily's first published MM and, while I know friends weren't as keen, I actually enjoyed it.

Not quite as much snark as her later books but still enough humour that I found myself sniggering a lot while reading.

A bit sweet, a lot steamy, not too much angst and although the dreaded "misunderstanding/miscommunication" trope reared its head, at least Matt did try at the time to do something about it.

As grand gestures go, I thought the final couple of chapters were utterly fab.
Claudia
June 2018
I love this book. I think I loved it the second time around even more than the first.
it is a great story which I really enjoyed

October 2017
I really, really liked this story. it was great to read about someone who discovers a great person and falls in love with him without throwing a tantrum because the gender is different than he expected

John and Matt are great together and there is great chemistry
both characters are vulnerable and have their faults and I love them for that.

can't wait t
Mia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

I do loved this book. An enemy to friends to lovers and GFY story of John and Matt.

Gonna write more review later.
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Note to self: See Dani's review for reason to pass on this book.
Joyfully Jay
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I fell hard for Lily Morton’s writing this fall when I read Rule Breaker and later Deal Maker, so I couldn’t resist going back to pick up this slightly older work by the author. The Summer of Us has that intensity that comes from two people spending a long, hot summer together, building a relationship during that magical time away from their regular lives. I loved the connection between John and Matt and the way their relationship bloomed, moving from men who did
Tina
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing

4,5 stars.

OMG... I'm on a Lily Morton roll! Loved John and Matt so much.

After reading Rule Breaker and Deal Maker I was so glad to find another amazing M/M story written by her.

Highly recommended!
Kyuteepie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5 stars

Quite unrealistic and everyone was too rich, beautiful and kind expect the evil ex-wife. It got a little on my nerves how often they called each other "Johnny" and "Matty". Also the talk about John's sexuality felt incomplete. It was told more like a GFY rather than the MC discovering he's actually gay/bi.

Despite that I still enjoyed the story.
Pjm12
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
My last book of 2017.

Read because of author. Matt and John spend a realistic amount of time getting to know each other before John surrenders. I loved that the rock group were peripheral to the main story.

I loved the French sightseeing, and smexy when it finally arrived, was hot hot hot!! Lovely epilogue.

Happy 2018 everyone.
ReadingAllNite
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ku-borrow
Smooshy, squishy romance

Except when they were being foolish and making assumptions because of course. I guess this was Lily’s first MM and she’s improved since, as she kept going and I think, never looked back. A slow burn begins with developing a friendship, sort of enemies to lovers plus John’s shifting sexuality. I liked that John didn’t really label himself, as he said it was all about Matt himself. I saw John as more demisexual when it came to the relationship. The humor, wit and banter was
Santy
I absolutely loved this.

Matt and John were funny, witty, open and just perfect for each other. They complemented each other and reading about their progress from friends, to lovers and then to partners was just a joy. It also didn’t hurt that the UST between them for most of the book was written perfectly. When they finally came together too, Wowza! I damn near swooned. *happy sigh*

Lily Morton’s writing here reminded me of why I love British humour so much. It always has a kick that leaves me la
Emma
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A few issues but I did enjoy it so 2.5* rounded up.

I wanted to read Rule Breaker but as it was not yet released at the time I thought I would try out this book instead. I fairly quickly realized that it had characters from her prior books and I did feel a bit lost at times because of this. I don't really like joining in on a series part way through. So after finishing this book I went back and read the first three Beggar's Choice books. Because those books are M/F and each follow a different ban
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This was a fun book to read. In keeping with my quest to devour Lily Morton's work, or at least her MM work, I discovered this story, which I believe is her first foray into MM romance.

Set up as a GFY, or as John says, it's more of a Matty for you. The men start off as enemies, or at least totally in disgust with each other but when circumstances force them together for a few months, they see the real person under the personas they've adopted.

Sweet and simple, there is of course a hiccup aroun
Achim
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Following rich and beautiful people and their problems but not in a Mary Calmes OTT setup - the guys are too sweet and nice for that but it was nice to spent some time with them.
Lelyana
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, stand-alone, steamy, 2018

This is not my Lily Morton's first book, but this one is her first MM. So yeah.
As much as I loved Mix Messages series, because the series are hilarious and way much developing in the stories, and especially Billy (read Deal Maker), I couldn't loved this book as much as Mix Messages series.
Maybe it's because this is her first MM? The writing is still trying to find the pattern, imo, an a bit too much coincidence, at some parts, I even felt like I read MF.
Matt and John were kinda getting in my ne
Andrea
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it

I'm beginning to think reading 4 Lily Morton books in a row was not a good decision. There are some distinct similarities: cute bickering between two people determined to dislike each other; attraction; a decision to be casual fuck buddies while one of the two is already in love with the other; a refusal to be happy on both sides because bad experiences in the past; a refusal to talk; separation; making up.

But other than that, it was a nice story. I liked the idiots, but the refusal to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Virgin Flyer
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Project Hero
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • The Castle (Love in O'Leary, #5.5)
  • Fakers
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Giving Chase (Havenwood #1)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • BTW: By the Way (After Oscar, #3)
  • The Gift (Love in O'Leary, #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Pieces of You (Missing Pieces, #1)
Lily is a bestselling gay romance author.

She lives in sunny England with her husband and two children, all of whom claim that they haven't had a proper conversation with her since she got her Kindle.

She has spent her life with her head full of daydreams, and decided one day to just sit down and start writing about them. In the process she discovered that she actually loved writing because how else

Beggar's Choice (3 books)
  • Promise Me (Beggar's Choice #1)
  • Trust Me (Beggar's Choice #2)
  • Keep Me (Beggar's Choice #3)

News & Interviews

“This wetsuit is so fucking sexy,” I murmur between kisses, and he laughs. “You won’t be thinking that in a second.” “Why?” Five seconds Iater I find out. “Jesus Christ,” I groan, tugging on the legs of the suit. “This is like stripping a fucking sausage.” 1 likes
“I don’t think that I feel anything deeply.” 1 likes