Start by marking “Steven Universe Vol. 1” as Want to Read:

Steven Universe Vol. 1

(Steven Universe #1-4)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  1,175 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
BELIEVE IN STEVEN!

Steven Universe is just your normal Beach City citizen...who is anything by normal! Join Steven as he learns not only how to save the day with the help of Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl...but as he learns what it means it be a great friend and an even better neighbor! There will be crazy adventures any time of day when you live in Beach City, between bike ra
Published November 25th 2016 by Titan Comics (first published August 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Steven Universe Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steven Universe Vol. 1

Steven Matview
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Steven Universe the TV show is fantastic. It’s my favorite animated series since Avatar: The Last Airbender. It’s got an engaging, sprawling story, interesting, fleshed out characters, catchy songs and lots of heart. It doesn’t conform to worn out gender tropes, and I love this quote from creator Rebecca Sugar on that topic:

“My goal with the show was to really tear down and play with the semiotics of gender in cartoons for children because I think that’s a really absurd idea that there would be
Maddie
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Forever love for Steven and the Gems!
Rebecca McNutt
Cartoon Network always made cool shows when I was a kid, but since I'm an adult now and I don't really watch animated shows anymore, Steven Universe has been off my radar. I saw this graphic novel for sale a few days ago and it seemed intriguing, so I bought a copy.

Extremely similar to Sailor Moon, The Secret World of Alex Mack, The Powerpuff Girls, The Winx Club and W.I.T.C.H., this story is fast-paced, colourful and drenched in action from page 1, introducing an ordinary boy with extraordinary
Stacy Fetters
Steven Universe is one messed up show.... for kids. I'm not sure where he came from, but I have a few ideas... (cough...cough...pass...)
The art was bright, in your face and just flawless. The short stories were alright (Which in my case means Meh!)
I was looking for more of the aspects of the show and that's not what I was fed.
To younger fans, I believe this would be starstunningly amazing (Karate Chop to the groin).
Isa Lavinia
I disliked the main stories' art style and plots, but the mini stories featured were really good!
Murphy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boom, three-stars
Each story included here is fairly simple, but they're all balanced well between action and slice of life. The volume itself is full of sweet little additions, including a collection of the covers used for the issues and one of those 'i spy' type games.

My only large criticism is that the layout and design for the speech bubbles in a few of the issues are extremely distracting. They're whimsical, but difficult to focus on and look a bit awkward as well.

Overall I thought the comics was adorable
Basma
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Two stars because it was a quick enjoyable read. I wish there was more to the stories though. The added star is for the gorgeous art, mainly the cover art samples at the very end. Beautiful.
Kylie
This is a cute collection of stories that really capture the feel of the show.
Jasmine
A bit dissapointed if I'm honest. Cute, but definitely not what I wanted.
Cale
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed in this. As a big fan of the series, I was looking forward to more adventures with the Crystal Gems, but the quality of the main stories on display here is atrocious. Some of it may be the format - I read it digitally and it looked like the pages were cut off, but even with that excuse, the stories were barely legible (and the font choice is terrible), with the flow of the page being muddled at best and outright confusing on many occasions. The stories themselves are al ...more
Tiara
Read with the girl child. She told me to give it ALL THE STARS. LOL.
Clare
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars.

I really love Steven Universe. It took me a while to get into the TV show simply because of the art style. It was odd to me but I watched a clip from Jail Break and that was it. Ruby and Sapphire sold the show for me.

I felt the same way kind of with the comic. I wasn't all that sure of the art style during the first comic. It was pretty difficult to ascertain what was going on. But the rest of the book was really good. Plus the Where's Wally (Where's Waldo, for the Americans) se
Kim Dyer
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-comics
An excellent light read for fans of the animation. I'm absolutely in love with the style of this comic - it has a distinctly indie feel which really suits the series. I was also really blown away by how the writers captured the voices and personalities of the cast - I could really hear their voices in my head while I read.

The only thing that I feel I should say is that I don't think that someone who's unfamiliar with the series will get as much of a kick out of it. The trade largely collects one
Lily-rose Beardshaw
Looking back on the animated series of Steven Universe, often what appeared to be standalone episodes early on would turn out to have revealed details about the characters and backstory that would be relevant to the over-arching plot later on. The comics compiled in this volume, however, definitely seem to be designed to be standalone, so they mostly deal with the cast of supporting characters who inhabit Beach City, who, as in the animated show, are totally strong enough to carry stories on the ...more
Emma
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
This was such a cute book! The stories were filler, nothing important happened in them, but it was a great slice-of-life type deal, a look into the daily affairs of the residents of Beach City. I love the show and during a hiatus like we're going through now, this was just what I needed. Missing Steven and the Crystal Gems? Need more Connie in your life? How about Sadie and Lars getting lost walking home because Lars is too stubborn to admit he doesn't know where he's going, and Sadie can't stan ...more
Malapata
Steven Universe es una serie con distintas lecturas, que gusta de niños a adultos. Bien, aquí no busquéis nada de lo que gusta a los segundos: este es un cómic destinado al público infantil. No esperéis desarrollo de los personajes, dobles lecturas o conflictos, sino una sucesión de historias cortas alrededor de un gag que podrá tener más o menos gracias (generalmente menos).

Le iba a poner sólo una estrella, pero es que a mi hija pequeña le ha encantado.
Lisenstein
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hat mir leider nichts gegeben.
Die Bildebene ist knallig, bunt und teilweise völlig unübersichtlich. Allerdings mutet mir der Strich dabei recht lieblos an, die Figuren sind sehr cartoonhaft und reduziert gezeichnet, das mag ich eher selten. Die kleinen Comics sind ganz nett, mehr aber auch nicht.
War mir zu wenig Geschichte und zu viel Bild.
Einziger beherzter Schmunzler: Steve beim Anblick der Discokugel in Aktion.
Tori
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i appreciate tf out of steven as a show!! and some of the art in this volume is hella gorgeous!! but the bulk of it feels messy and confusing and like a harkening back to the episodic feel of early s1, which... lbr is suuuper different than where we are now in s2.

i had rly high hopes for this one!! hopefully volume two goes through some major artistic redirection?
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
Not gonna lie, it was pretty uneven for me.

BUT it was also charming and cute, and I especially loved the black and white 3 pagers in each issue as they were great - and of course, Rebecca Sugar's short one.

I'm hoping it will improve over time as they get into their stride though, and I still recommend it for Steven fans as it'll hit the spot.
Amy
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh goodness, looking at the start date for this is just embarrassing. Uni took over my life just a tiny bit. But I'm glad I finally got round to finishing this! I love Steven Universe and all the cute little stories in this were fabulous, even if they were more vignettes than an actual plotline. But the art was so colourful and great and I enjoyed it immensely. :)
Holly
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, tie-ins, read-2016
Fitting in more the the tone and structure of the earlier episodes of the series, this is a very cute collection of little one-shots that are a treat to read. They're fun, easy to read through, and they were great at relieving all that excess frustration that was bubbling up inside of me from the last book I read!
Ray
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute and enjoyable for fans of the show. I'm not the biggest fan of the fast and loose art style, but it has its charm. Several of the shorter stories (a page or two, tops) are really fun too. All in all, a nice bonus for those who need more Steven Universe in their lives!
Mariana
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, usa
A really cute and funny addition to the Steven Universe tv show. It was a quick enjoyable read and really captured the feel of an episode, with adorable interactions between characters and very good characterization all around. Looking forward to buying and reading the remaining volumes.
Taylor
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute fun!! I wish some of them hadn't been in black and white, when the color ones were so beautiful. And I wish this was longer!
R.J.
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, comics, magic
Cuuuuuute
Swankivy
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of my friends and most of the people who know me in any capacity have figured out by now that I'm a gross, slobbering Steven Universe fangirl. (I mean, really really gross. Embarrassingly so.) So it's kind of weird for me to be giving this a four-star rating instead of a five-star one. But the truth is: while I enjoyed it quite a lot, it did not really capture for me what I love most about the show, and I think there are a few reasons for that. Notably, it's of course missing one of the most ...more
Mel
In the same tone and spirit of the cartoon series, this collection of comics follows Steven Universe and his friends as they enjoy life at Beach City and sometimes defeat alien monsters.

The longer issues, like "Open Mic" and "Taxi" still wrap up in under twenty pages and have a full story woth a plot dilemma, characters learning/understanding something or someone, and resolution. While some can finish in one or two pages revolving around a gag or theme. Personally, my favorites tend to be the lo
(a)lyss(a)
"They don't know what it's like to watch someone grow up."

This is a cute collection of Steven Universe stories mostly focusing on Steven's life in Beach City.

There's more goofy fun adventures than story lines or gem capturing and we get some good stories. There's a few that tug at your heart strings and others that focus on friendship and family the way the show does.

It's a quick and easy read.
Mei Ridorsa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A diferència de la sèrie de TV en la que es basa i a diferència d'altres adaptacions de sèries de la Cartoon Network al còmic (Adventure Time, com a mínim), aquests còmics no tenen cap valor pel públic adult. Es tracta d'un seguit d'històries curtes que de fet no arriben a formar cap història, si no que són més aviat situacions "gracioses". Si bé hi ha un parell de plantejaments interessants, no s'arriben a desenvolupar. Una llàstima.
  • Bee and Puppycat, Vol. 1
  • Adventure Time: Seeing Red (Adventure Time OGN, #3)
  • Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Heavenly Nostrils, #2)
  • Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers
  • The Case of the Simple Soul (Bad Machinery, #3)
  • Adventure Time Vol. 7
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • Bravest Warriors Vol. 2
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • Part-Time Princesses
  • Guide to the Crystal Gems (Steven Universe)
  • Adventure Time: Playing with Fire (Adventure Time OGN, #1)
  • The Sleep of Reason: An Anthology of Horror
  • Batman: Li'l Gotham, Vol. 2
  • Angel & Faith: Lost and Found (Season 10, Volume 2)
  • Hinges: Book One: Clockwork City
  • Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula
Rebecca Rea Sugar is an American animator, composer and director. She is best known for creating the Cartoon Network series Steven Universe, which has made her the first woman to independently create a series for the network

Steven Universe (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Steven Universe #1