Start by marking “Nelumbo Nucifera” as Want to Read:
Nelumbo Nucifera

Nelumbo Nucifera

On the surface, Gaby Parker has it all; however, behind closed doors, is a woman who lives in constant fear of the man who was supposed to love her: her husband, Kyle. Beaten, desperate, and broken, Gaby realizes the only way to escape from her violent husband is to kill herself — on paper. Gaby is dead, and Riley Locklin is born, residing in the tranquil coastal town of C ...more
Published January 24th 2017 by Bella Tulip Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Nelumbo Nucifera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelumbo Nucifera

Jennifer Kyle
Mar 15, 2017 Jennifer Kyle rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦
Release Date: January 24, 2017
Genre: Mixture of Psychological Thriller and Romance

Nelumbo Nucifera is a cleverly crafted book that will keep readers hanging on the edge of their seat and FEELING some very powerful emotions. It is not necessarily a romance rather, a psychological thriller with a romance added in making it the PEFRECT read for fans of either genre. Having read quite a few amazing books in my time, I will tell you this… This book is jumping up to my top 10 FAVORITE reads of ALL
◄   ♥☺♥ Big Joe's Book Lust ♥☺♥   ►
OUTSTANDING!!!!

On the day Gaby Parker disappears and is presumed dead in a burned out car, Riley Locklin is born. Escaping her abusive husband is a must cause if she doesn't she will surely end up dead by his hand. She runs and ends up in NY in Montauk living in the run down but fixable house her grandmother left her. A house Kyle, her husband, knows nothing about.

This story is riveting from page 1 till the last word. Told in three POVs...Gaby/Riley, Kyle's and the lead detective investigating t
terena
Dec 28, 2016 terena rated it it was amazing
There are no words. I can't say much without giving spoilers. This book kept me on edge throughout. The details and emotions entrap you. I highly recommend this book.
Jennifer Pierson
Jan 30, 2017 Jennifer Pierson rated it it was amazing
Gaby Parker is abused by her husband, and is living in constant fear for her life. So she decides to take her life, on paper that is, and finally disappears. But her husband doesn't believe she's dead, so he's looking for her to bring her back home. That's all I can literally describe as that's a push after the ride I just experienced. Nelumbo Nucifera kept me on the edge of my seat the entire duration, and my heart threatened to pound out of my chest. The twists and turns are diabolical, which ...more
Shannon_HEABlogger
Mar 05, 2017 Shannon_HEABlogger rated it it was amazing
These are my Happily Ever After Novel Thoughts...

This book is awesomely intricate and entertaining. I loved that you got multiple POVs. You have Gaby's, Kyle's, and Isla's. Gaby is scared for her life. The only death that scares her, is the death that could be at her husband, Kyle's hands. Kyle thinks he is the perfect husband in his egotistical, self-centered, manically abusive mind. He has no idea why Gaby, with her perfect life, would want to leave. Detective Isla Mornay Osmund and determine
Ellie Williams
Dec 06, 2016 Ellie Williams rated it it was amazing
I solemnly swear to give the best and most accurate review.
No biased reviews or misconceptions will you find here.

I edited this book for Cristina as I am the Editor of Bella Tulip Publishing.

This was a very heartfelt story of one woman's struggle for freedom. Trapped in a loveless, abusive marriage with no way out unless she's dead.
So that's what she's going to do.
Gaby is dead, and Riley has been born. No more will this tormented soul be a prisoner. No more will she suffer at the hands of an
Olivia Rofrits
Mar 25, 2017 Olivia Rofrits rated it it was amazing
Great book. Strong and well developed characters. Just reminds me of watching movie with Jennifer Lopez but for her killing the deadbeat and that other with Julie. Even with that it was truly written great and the Author put 100% in to this story.
If anyone been abused in any form I highly suggested this may trigger remember even with it having amazing ending.

Reviewed for MNP
Kelsey
Where in the world do I even start with this novel?

While it is a lengthy book, you will NOT be disappointed.

NELUMBO NUCIFERA is a combination of psychological suspense, and just a hint of romance that will make any reader want to finish this book in one sitting. I did, and wow. It was one heck of a whirlwind of a book.

**This is NOT a book for someone that has triggers.**

Gaby Parker has lived in fear for far too long. A word spoken wrong, a look given to a man across the room that she knows (a
Brandi Aga
Mar 04, 2017 Brandi Aga rated it really liked it
The cover is TO DIE FOR! See what I did there? I love the plot of this book, it's different than the typical romance kick I've been on lately and it was refreshing. An abused woman feels there's no other way out of her marriage than to fake her own death and go into hiding - so she does just that.

"As she massaged shower gel into her skin and let the water run down her body, she felt as if she was washing away the dirt that had clung to her skin from the life she had just left behind."

I felt s
Lilly James
Mar 14, 2017 Lilly James rated it it was amazing
Nelumbo Nucifera is a physiological thriller that had me flipping the pages so fast, yet not wanting to finish it at the same time.

The story is told from a couple of POV'S which I loved!

Gabby/Riley's POV - Cristina had me cheering for this character from the very beginning. Her story is real, raw and emotional, and I was so happy when she found Ben!

It is also told from Kyle's POV. I hated this character with a passion. Cristina did a great job of making him deceitful, cruel and malicious.

Dete
2OCC Reviews
Mar 11, 2017 2OCC Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alice
Have you ever read a book that you automatically fall in love with? This is it for me! It's emotional, it's real, it's raw. It'll make you stop and think, and really feel.
It's unique and intriguing, right from the start. It'll hook you and reel you in, making sure you devour every single word.
The writing style is brilliant, the characters are different and (some of them) loveable, the storyline is phenomenal!
I have never read anything by Cristina Slough before, this will definitely not be my la
Kara Duhl
Feb 27, 2017 Kara Duhl rated it really liked it
I had to grab this one up just from the blurb and it didn't disappoint. This book reminded me so much of the movie Enough with Jennifer Lopez and I absolutely love that movie!

Riley(Gaby) had to make a pricey decision to protect herself from the menace that her life had become. Running off to a place hardly anyone knew about she planned to start anew. Dealing with emotional scars and some physical she slowly pieces her life back together but the crippling fear crawls back in. Riley's story had me
Cyndi
Feb 06, 2017 Cyndi rated it really liked it
I loved the premise of this story, an abused woman faking her death to escape her abusive husband. It has drama written all over it and the author, Cristina Slough, delivered. The story is told from multiple perspectives; both the main characters( Gaby/Riley )and Kyle, the husband she is escaping, and Isla, the detective investigating Gaby's death. The multiple perspectives make for an fast paced suspense filled read.

This is a story with a lot of action, what with Gaby/Riley off creating a new
Georgia Harris
Dec 25, 2016 Georgia Harris rated it it was amazing
First off I love the cover this was a new read and author to me and let me just say I will defiantly be reading more of her books this one got my attention and I read it in one day believe it or not great work here
Jenny
Jan 26, 2017 Jenny rated it it was amazing
****SOME SPOILERS****

This is the first book I've read by this author and even though the book is based around spouse abuse the book is amazing. There are three pov's throughout the book Gaby's, Kyle's and the police detective leading the case.

Back story
Gaby put up physical and mental abuse from her husband Kyle for so long and was seriously worried he was going to kill her. She covered up the bruises hiding them protecting the worthless piece of rubbish. People looking in from the outside would
Brandy Roberts
Jan 28, 2017 Brandy Roberts rated it it was amazing
Loved this book it was so unique I'v never read anything like it before . Once I read the blurb I was hocked and the cover is also beautiful so if you're a reader who goes for blurbs or covers I'm shore you will one click . It was an emotional read once I finished there was a major book hangover this also made me want to watch one of my all time favorite movies sleeping with the enemy . Kept me on my toes I didn't know how it would end and when it neared I was on the edge of my seat . Loved Gaby ...more
Cally
Feb 07, 2017 Cally rated it it was amazing
Debbie Hughes
Feb 12, 2017 Debbie Hughes rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I could not put it down. I picked this up and hated that I needed to sleep or work. I just was drawn in on page one and just loved it. This is a very tough subject for some and my heart goes out to women who can survive and come out on the other side.

Such an easy read, it flows as each character shares their part of the story. What I like is that each "main" character tells what they are doing, how they are feeling and a bit about there own history. Keeps you on your toes and t
Alicia Harrietha
Feb 08, 2017 Alicia Harrietha rated it it was amazing
This is a first time read from Cristina Slough and I was not disappointed. This story had a wonderful, strong, and brave girl Gaby/Riley that did the only thing she knew to do to escape a life that would inevitably kill her. Even though she got away the demons haunted her and a sweet, caring man Ben and some new friends helped her make it through. Isla and Hardy, the two cops that were relentless in never giving up on doing what's right gave the story an added bonus. Overall a very good book.
Sara
Feb 02, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

Nelumbo Nucifera is a smart, well-written psychological thriller/Women’s Fiction novel by a new to me author. Well, after reading this, let me tell you…I am a fan of Cristina Slough for life!

This is a spoiler free review, because giving anything away would be an injustice to you the reader. The book is exactly what you think it is and then suddenly it isn’t. It is told by multiple narrators and I wasn’t sure who to trust or believe. I was in the dark about the real story until it was r
Wendy Livingstone
Jan 27, 2017 Wendy Livingstone rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have read any of this authors work, OMG; I cannot wait to read more from her!
Wow, this book blew me away!! This story is told in three POV’s, which are Gaby’s, Kyle’s, and the detective working on the case, which made things very interesting indeed. This story is a physiological thriller, with spousal abuse.
This author has done an amazing job in writing this storyline, as it is packed full of lies, suspense, thrills, mental as well as physical abuse, romance, second chan
Candy Hernandez
Jan 26, 2017 Candy Hernandez rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, riveting story that will keep you guessing all night on who's done what. I'm a fan of stories of women who were pushed down and got back up.  This is similar to the books Somewhere to Begin by Mika Jolie and You're Not Alone by Stacy Eaton. All of these books tackle emotionally and verbally abused women who found strength and stood back up.

Back to this story, the author made an awesome job to keep us readers on our toes. Both Kyle and Gaby have their own versions of the stor
Brenda
Jan 27, 2017 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Nelumbo Nucifera is so good!!! I wanted to read a book that I could drag me in and trap me emotionally. As soon as I seen this one out and read the description I knew this was the book I need to read. It has such a beautiful cover and holds a beautiful story. It's not pretty by all means, it deals with some pretty serious stuff. But it is thrilling and keeps you guessing. And I fell in love with the Gabby. My heart hurt for her and I cried for her..
It just has all the feels!

This is a book you ju
Kayleen Swank
Jan 25, 2017 Kayleen Swank rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book in return for an honest, unbiased review. First, let me start by saying wow. I had never read anything by Cristina Slough before. I was introduced to her through another author I follow, and, as I was looking for something new I requested her book. I was floored by how amazing this story was. I was captured and intrigued by the book from the first chapter to the last. I was amazed with the care Miss Slough took in the details of the characters, especially Gabby/Riley. She sh ...more
BethAnn Redd
Feb 06, 2017 BethAnn Redd rated it it was amazing
Very well developed.... to well for me at times because I connected with Gaby coming out of my relationship just like this 10 years ago. Very good writing, very steamy, very well connected characters. OMW so real so true.... such a touching and powerful story.... bring on the next book Cristina!
Angala Fox
Feb 03, 2017 Angala Fox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bad-boys
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
This was a great psychological thriller about a woman who fakes her death to get away from her abusive husband. I was hooked from the first page and didn't want to put this thrilling emotional roller coaster of a book down. I was rooting for Gaby the whole time. This is definitely a recommended must read.
Kayla Hart
Kayla Hart rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2017
Clare Watson
Clare Watson rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2017
Christina Morgan
Mar 25, 2017 Christina Morgan rated it it was amazing
Haunting but Rewarding Read

Nelumbo Nucifera (meaning sacred lotus flower) is yet another amazing book by author Cristina Slough. I want to start by applauding the author for handling such a sensitive subject so eloquently and with class. Not only does she handle the issue of domestic violence delicately, but she is using part of her royalties to support an organization that helps battered women. THIS is what authors should do when writing about “trigger” issues.

The book opens with Gabby stealing
Cristina Slough is a Women's Fiction author.
Her debut: Till Death Us Do Part was released in December 2015.

Her second novel: Nelumbo Nucifera will release in January 2017.

Cristina writes about raw human emotions, and subject matters that are very real to women.
More about Cristina Slough...