Start by marking “The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West, Jr. Book 4)” as Want to Read:
The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West, Jr. Book 4)

The Four Legendary Kingdoms

(Jack West Jr #4)

The thrilling new novel featuring Jack West, Jr. from the New York Times and #1 international bestselling author!

A RUTHLESS KIDNAPPING

Jack West, Jr. and his family are living happily on their remote farm when Jack is brutally kidnapped and he awakes in an underground cell to find a masked attacker with a knife charging at him.

THE GREAT GAMES

Jack, it seems, has been
Published May 2nd 2017 by Gallery Books (first published October 8th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Legendary Kingdoms, please sign up.

Start your review of The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West, Jr. Book 4)
K.
3.5 stars.

Look, I pretty much knew what I was going to get with this book going in. Because it's Matthew Reilly. It's a Jack West book. It's going to be like reading a ridiculous, over-the-top action movie with historical elements woven into the story, you know? Kind of like if Indiana Jones and Top Gun had a baby.

And for the most part, that's exactly what I got.

HOWEVER. The previous books in this series have been far more historically focused than this one was. According to Reilly's note at
Bradley
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2016-shelf
Well, I wanted to like this as much as the other ones, but it kinda devolved into a Buck Rogers scenario full of Lensman tropes and Galaxy-colliding proportions. Not that this kind of thing can't be fun if done right, and I was perfectly prepared to roll with it, but Jack West Jr. gets kidnapped ten years after the previous books to perform for insane royals who style themselves Hades? For the SAKE of being the grand hero that saves the universe?

Um.

Trials of Hercules? With a 30's SF bent?
Emma
Nope I just can't do it.
Rob
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 4 in the Jack West series.

This reminded me a lot of The Hunger Games but with middle aged men instead of teenagers. The only way to survive these games is to kill all the other combatants before they kill you.
One minute Jack West is looking through a telescope at Pine Gap the next he is fighting for his life against, of all things, a Minotaur.
Jack has been abducted from Pine Gap and now finds himself in the Underworld as a combatant in the games. The very games that Hercules fought in many
Gabi
Oh. My. Giddy Aunt.
K
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was way too over the top, even for this series to be enjoyable.
Sahitya
I guess this is what happens when you are a mood reader - you buy a book in a favorite series by your favorite author and leave it on your bookshelf for two years without even trying to read. And then finally when you start it, you finish it in a single sitting and wonder, what the hell you were doing not reading it till now... That’s exactly what happened here my friends. This book is as amazing as the previous installments of Jack West Jr’s adventures and I’m so sad that I waited this long to ...more
Amy Norris
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may just have been my favourite of the series so far. I love time skips and I love crossovers, and this has both. It features Scarecrow, a character from Reilly’s other series which I have not yet read. Nevertheless I enjoyed the crossover.

I should also mention this book involves a ‘fight to the death, last man standing contest’. This is basically my favourite trope ever. Any book that has that as a plot I will pick up. It was exciting to see Jack West Jr thrown into that type of
Steven
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wild ride! Plus, top secret surprise!!!!!
Karsyn
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbrc-wobble
6/13/17 ~ So enjoyable, definitely look forward to more from this series.

Certainly wasn't expecting that. Ok, ready for more!! Is it time for the next book yet?!
Andrew
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 250-up-to-date
This was another cracking read in the Jack West Junior Series, we've had to wait seven years for this but it was well worth the wait! Like all books in this series there is plenty of action which moves along at a cracking pace and is supported by a strong historical backdrop. As usual in these books Jack had to step in to save the world from disaster but in this case it was voluntary. If you are a Matthew Reilly fan you will see a character from one of his other series appear. The good news is ...more
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved every minute of it. I physically had to force myself to put the book down so I didn't finish it on the first night.
It has everything I love about Matthew Reilly's writing and more. Very happy reader here!
Krystal
Epic. Totally epic. Well worth the wait for this fourth installment in the Jack West Jr series! It's a beautiful blend of the old and the new, with more history and mythology built into non-stop action, only the scale here is much bigger. We don't have the whole team from the previous novels but there's a decent serve of other characters that quite easily fill the hole and indeed make things even more interesting. The challenges themselves are interesting; perhaps less puzzling than what we're ...more
Josh
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2016, own
The Four Legendary Kingdoms is by far the most new reader friendly in the series (Seven Ancient Wonders, the first book in the Jack West Jr. series aside). The book follows on from the events of The Five Greatest Warriors many years after conclusion of that book and feels like it breathes new life into the series. The characters, new and old, are engaging and each adds the overall dynamic of the story.

Hades is a great location for this book. Not only does it allow for a hint of the supernatural
Keri
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Jack West book yet and my book BF Scarecrow was there! What was not to love...John Woo couldn't have done a better job of coming up with these over the top action sequences. Very, very good. I hope it isn't that long before we see another book in the series.
Nikki
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Absolutely amazing. Without giving anything away, lets just say, I had to stop reading and sit there mouth agape on more than one occasion. Just to process what i was reading.

Love the concept, reminded me of Contest, but on a larger scale. I read Contest at least once a year.

The hardest thing for me was not being able to share with anyone, having read it within 2 days of coming out.

I'm going to read this book again very soon. Slowly and savour every encounter.

And this is why Matthew
Karina
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this is a first.
I legitimately felt giddy while reading this. Giddy. I only get this excited when squealing over smoochy kitties.

But this, THIS, was everything.

Myths, action, heroes, legends, death, more death, friends, enemies, even more death.
Well, compared to his other books the death count isn't actually that high. He didn't George RR Martin us :'-)

If you are reading this I don't think you need to be told to read Reilly's books, but I'm going to anyway. READ THE THINGS!
Freda Malone
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This fourth book in the series of Jack West Jr. was awesome, and well worth the wait, since it took Reilly 6 years to write this one. As always, with any fast paced, action packed thriller, I've plowed through it like there was no tomorrow. God, I really hope it doesn't take Reilly another 6 years to write the next one.

Jack, Lily, Alby, Sky Monster, and Jack's dogs are kidnapped. Yeah, I did a double take too when I heard the dogs were taken hostage, but I realized later on that with all the
Chad
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack West Jr and Scarecrow finally meet. However, we've seem to throw out the Indiana Jonesy parts of the book and turned this into an action movie on speed like the Scarecrow books. Jack gets kidnapped and wakes up in the middle of same ancient games to the death. Yes, Reilly does tie in these modern games into Hercules's 12 labors and Gilgamesh's epic, but it feels like we're missing some of that search for ancient artifacts aspect. The end of the book definitely just felt like it was just ...more
Kate G
Basically, this is Contest meets 7AW. Maybe his next book — allegedly time-travel related — will be better?

Most of the time, I love Matthew Reilly novels. I've been a fan since 2010/11. Unfortunately this completely missed the mark. The female characters, as another reviewer said, were all reduced to lamps. The plot devices felt cheap, and the infodumpiness was just too much, even for me.

I get he wants to set up the next three books, but what happened to easing the reader in like he did with
Craig
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been eagerly awaiting this book and even subjected myself to a horrific 48 hours without a book to read because I'd finished my previous book and didn't want to start another knowing that my preorder of The Four Legendary Kingdoms was just around the corner.

This feels slightly different to the other Jack West books but is exactly what you would expect it to be. Loads of action, almost certain death on a regular basis, loathsome evil doers and a cameo appearance by Homer Simpson.

Jack's
Roy
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always love Mr Reillys books. This was no exception. Plenty of action, crazy plot lines and backstory and loveable characters. The Jack West novels are a little over the top sometimes but that's what you expect when reading this series. Hopefully the next book comes out soon!!
Stuart
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josen
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this fourth installment of Jack West Jr, he wakes up to find he was kidnapped and will be forced to participate in The Great Games. These games are interpreted to mimic the 12 Labours of Hercules. So of course, it only makes sense that the one hosting these games is none other than Lord Hades. Well, not the actual Hades but the current human version leading the Kingdom of the Underworld. There are also representing Lords from the Kingdom of Land, Kingdom of Sea and Kingdom of Sky (hence the ...more
Steve
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I preferred this book when it began rather than when it ended. Starting as it did, the tension was ratcheted up to unbelievable levels, and we were dragged along for the ride. The action started on the very first page, and very quickly I couldn't put this book down. Sadly, on the way to the climax, the way was a lost a little bit, and it became incredibly formulaic, which also means there was no tension, since resolutions were a foregone conclusion. Also, on the topic of resolutions, having more ...more
Vikas
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Like someone already said that when picking up Reilly's books you are assured that the action would be fast paced and there would be some history thrown in since it's Jack West series.

Jack has been kidnapped and he must now take part in a competition or else his friends would die. Jack continues and in the meantime our hero meets another hero from Matthew's arsenal we have Scarecrow joining hands with Jack West Jr.

It was fun and fast read as always now I am on to another Matthew Reilly's next
storytime-reviews
There’s a lot I love about Matthew Reilly. From the thrilling fights, to the adventurous escapes and entertaining characters, but it’s the interweaving of ancient history throughout the Jack West Jr series that I really enjoy. That shouldn’t come as a surprise given that my major is ancient history, and the strong Greek/Roman mythical elements throughout this installment were therefore very much enjoyed by me.

From the beginning, the mythological references were obvious, from the minotaurs, to
Rick
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Your typical page-turning cliff-hanger. Strongly recommended.
Shelley
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Genre* Action, Adventure
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Four Legendary Kingdoms is the fourth installment in author Matthew Reilly's Jack West Jr series. This is a series that you should definitely be prepared to throw out all preconceived notions, and just enjoy the freaking ride. The author tends to go all in with over the top action, adventure, shocking twists and turns, and lots of bloodshed. Right out of the gate, Jack, who has been retired and off the grid for years now, is kidnapped along with
Peter
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wait for a new Jack West book has been an agonising one. On the plus side, in the space between the Five Greatest Warriors and the Four Legendary Kingdoms, Matthew Reilly pumped out a number of books, some of his most inspired and creative novels yet. That being said, returning to Jack West was a brilliant idea, as the Four Legendary Kingdoms is awesome.

Jack West has always been one of Reilly’s best protagonists. You always know when you pick up a Jack West novel that it’s going to be an

• Crucible (Sigma Force, #14)
  • The Midas Legacy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #12)
  • Beyond the Sea (Event Group Thriller #12)
  • King Solomon's Curse (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #13)
  • The Demon Crown (Sigma Force, #13)
  • Temple of the Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Rebel’s Revenge (Ben Hope #18)
  • Empire of the Dragon (Event Group Thriller #13)
  • Season of the Witch (Event Group Thriller #14)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)
  • The Seventh Plague (Sigma Force, #12)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
  • The Spear of Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #14)
  • The Oracle (Fargo Adventure, #11)
  • The Gap: A paramedic’s summer on the edge
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Jack West Jr (5 books)
  • Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)
  • The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Three Secret Cities (Jack West Jr #5)
“Lily just stared down in horror at Jack and Alby as they took off for the maze, fleeing from the advancing snake-headed warrior. THE” 1 likes
“when are going” 1 likes