Jump to ratings and reviews
This will be the 9th installment in the Lowcountry Mystery series. It all starts with "Not Quite Dead," which you can read for free!

234 pages, Kindle Edition

Published January 10, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lyla Payne

34 books857 followers
I've been publishing New Adult romance novels for a little over a year, starting with Broken at Love and continuing with the rest of the Whitman University series. I adore telling stories, discovering the little reasons people fall in love, and uncovering hidden truths in the world around us – past and present.

In my spare time I cuddle my two dogs, pretend to enjoy exercising so that I can eat as much Chipotle as I want, and harbor a deep and abiding hope that Zac Efron likes older women. I loves reading, of course, along with movies, traveling, and Irish whiskey.

I'm hard at work, ALWAYS, and hope to bring you more Whitman University antics and at least one more Lowcountry ghost tale before the end of the year.

If you want to know more, please visit me at http://lylapayne.com

If you’re a fan of Young Adult fiction—science fiction or otherwise—please check out my work that’s published under the name Trisha Leigh. http://trishaleigh.com

I'm represented by Kathleen Rushall at Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews
Profile Image for Jamie Davis.
131 reviews26 followers
December 17, 2016
The Clock is Ticking...and Her Life Is On the Line

The Lowcountry mystery series is, without a doubt, my favorite mystery series. Lyla Payne never ceases to pull me into each book with a tether that doesn’t release me for weeks after I’ve turned the last page.

Gracie’s looming trial spreads palpable tension and a feeling of dread as the clock ticks closer to conviction she’s sure to face. No matter the success the planted evidence seems to be, the danger is far from over, and Gracie is forced to face it repeatedly. Her life is on the line literally and figuratively.

While learning to adjust to life with an infant in the house, Gracie is also faced with the relationship between Brick and Amelia. Seeing them slide into something more than friendship is a poignant reminder that Beau is gone. She’s hurting, and watching the two of them makes her lonely...and pushes her into rash decisions she’ll come to regret...or will she?

Another Gracie book finished, and I love Graciela Harper more now than ever. Reading her struggles and her triumphs has me tearing up when she falls and celebrating when she succeeds. If you haven’t read this series, back up and start with Not Quite Dead. Then fly through the remainder of the books until you catch up with me here at Not Quite Free. Because I can’t WAIT for you to fall in love with Gracie and Heron Creek.
Profile Image for Elisa.
3,066 reviews34 followers
February 25, 2017
Another thrilling Lowcountry Mystery.

What I loved the most was Gracie putting herself first for once even if she did have a few pity party days I think after everything she has been through that's ok...lol at least she can express her feelings I really enjoyed how Gracie evolved more in this one it was more about her than her relationships.

I also loved the history learning more about her family and local ghosts that is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this series it fascinates me.

I will say I felt the loss of Beau greatly but also a lot of anger toward him and I'm still caling him a spineless asshole.....lol staying with someone because of guilt and leaving the person you love the most is just a dick move in the end Beau deserves to be without Gracie she deserves better, she deserves a man who will love her unconditionally, trust her unconditionally and always, always put her first no matter what, this was never Beau.

As for Leo well 'sigh' I'm reserving judgement and just feeling really disappointed what is it with men who don't deal with their shit and close themselves off everyone ends up hurt and alone.
9 reviews5 followers
January 19, 2017
This book has characters you can fall in love with because of the closeness of the friendships. Gracie just semi-broke up with Beau. There is a lot of uncertainty about their relationship in the future. But, Gracie realizes her feelings for Leo. Are they true feelings or just feelings of familiarity of the friendship of their relationship? Do you ruin a lifetime of friendship for a romance? There are several attempts on Gracie’s life. Who is behind these attempt’s? There is also a creepy ghost to cause havoc in Gracie’s life. This ghost is the scariest ghost yet. The two people I don’t trust Travis or Cade.
At the end I have unanswered questions:
1. What is going on with Leo? What secrets does he have?
2. Where did the creepy ghost go? Will she pop up in the next book?
3. Where in the world is Clete? I miss Clete.
I love this series and look forward to the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Jacquelyn.
114 reviews3 followers
January 12, 2017
Another great installment for Graciela Harper! Not Quite Free delves more into Grace's father's family tree and the history behind those relatives who have the "gift" and those who don't. While so far a lot of the dangers Gracie has faced were of the ghost variety, this book shifts away from that and creates a lot of real world threats that are different but definitely exciting. As for Grace's love life, I have to say the breakup with Beau was for the best. Although I really liked him, it's nice to see Gracie rely on herself more in this book. This book doesn't end on a cliffhanger per se but there are a lot of mysteries left unsolved! Can't wait for the next novellas and book 10!
Profile Image for Mary.
668 reviews
January 5, 2020
Another great Lowcountry Mystery by Lyla Payne. This story had a real haunted vibe for me and I don't just mean the ghostly aspects. It's hard to describe but I felt it had a slightly slower pace which made it all that much scarier. And I loved it! There is a lot going on and I was kept guessing until the end and beyond. I really like the way the author keeps the suspense up by running storylines through more than one book. I like Grace and, while I sometimes question her actions, I tend to agree with them in the end. The end of this book left me with lots of questions and suspicions that I'm sure will be addressed and resolved eventually. Until then, I'm along for the ride.
Profile Image for Eileen Patterson.
165 reviews21 followers
March 1, 2021
Good But Frustrating

This was a good book. I took a break from reading the series after the last book, and I forgot how much I missed the characters. It was like reconnecting with old friends. I was glad to see what happened with Gracie and the murder investigation, and Amelia and her baby. The book is frustrating though, because I almost feel like it raises more questions than it answers. I hope some of the mysteries get straightened out soon. I'm already a fan of the series, I will keep buying the books, Lyla Payne doesn't have to keep stringing her readers along. I still love this series though.
Profile Image for Brandy Barber.
830 reviews14 followers
February 10, 2017
Good and scary

This book scared the crap out of me. I could not read it at night for fear of what was lurking in the shadows. Very good and we'll written. I am sad about Gracie having to all question some of her friendships. She really is strong and hard headed. Nice to see some everyday life getting in the story. I have so many questions about how the next book is going to go. Look forward to the plot twist.
Profile Image for Jamie Lynn.
3 reviews1 follower
April 24, 2018
Miss Lyla never fails!
Gracie is amazing, per usual!
Always a cliff hanger!
Always planting little seeds that grow into huge storylines later!
Always a cliffhanger!
AND AS ALWAYS MISS LYLA PAYNE ALWAYS LEAVES YOU WANTING MORE!
Every couple days wondering when you’ll be reading Gracie’s crazy, lovely and inspiring rollercoaster ride of a life! And the rollercoaster ride of the lives of everyone in Heron Creek.
496 reviews
October 29, 2017
I just devour these books once I start. I have come to feel for and cheer for Grace throughout this series. She brings a lot on herself, but her intentions are good in trying to help people. Love this series and can’t wait until the next book is available. Good to see her thinking/contemplating her relationship with Leo. Definitely Team Leo!!
26 reviews1 follower
October 15, 2017
Good Read

I love this series and can't wait for the next book. It's a great story and keeps you interested book after book
Profile Image for Sandra Lancaster.
287 reviews
March 8, 2017
Another great book in the series. I'm loving the turn that Gracie's life is taking. Some things are resolved, but as usual there are many more questions. So looking forward to the next book in the series. I could read about Gracie for years.
18 reviews1 follower
February 10, 2017
Gracie and Heron Creek always deliver

These characters and this town pull at my heart strings. This installment took new and unexpected twists and turns and I can't wait for the next one!!
Profile Image for Cindy Mathis.
209 reviews1 follower
January 15, 2017
This is my favorite Gracie book yet! Yes, shes nursing a broken heart after breaking up with Beau, she's on trial for murdering her father and the creepiest ghost yet keeps popping up, but Gracie is growing by leaps and bounds. She's taking the bull by the horns, not feeling too sorry for herself and is prepared to shape her own life.

Lyla Payne has found a way to resolve some of the problems in Gracie's story, while leaving the reader with a sense of peace that while things may not turn out like we want, it's all going to be right in the end.
Profile Image for Ashlee Lau.
206 reviews
January 17, 2017
Gracie is nursing her broken heart, while trying to unravel her families secrets and find herself. The book, in the arc of the series, is still building up for the final books, so focuses a lot of finding out information to frame the remaining books.

As always the story is well written, and leaves you wanting more! More questions will have you begging for the next release to find out if life in Heron Creek will ever settle back down for these characters, who feel like friends.
Profile Image for Heather.
277 reviews7 followers
February 5, 2017
Another thrilling installment of the Lowcountry mystery series. It was a real page turner! I really can't wait for the next book, primarily because I still can't shake the feeling that the resolution of the big mystery, still isn't completely over. Not to mention Leo and Beau, and Millie and Brick... so much to look forward to and so much more...
1 review
January 31, 2017
Love this series!

I have loved every book in this series. This one was a bit more melancholy than those before it, but I appreciate the author's ability & willingness to write a series in which the characters change and grow rather than basically writing the same book over and over. Like always, I can't wait for the next!
Profile Image for Barbara Eichler-Cline.
293 reviews2 followers
April 14, 2017
Ups and downs

This one is a roller coaster dipping into depression. Some pretty depressing thing continue in this book from the previous book. Mystery with plenty of twists and turns. Thoroughly enjoyable book. Waiting for the next book.
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.