Start by marking “King Con” as Want to Read:
King Con

King Con

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
When it comes to creating unforgettable criminal characters, nobody does it better than Emmy Award winner Stephen J. Cannell, the force behind such acclaimed TV hits as "The Rockford Files," "The Commish," "Wiseguy," and "The A-Team." Now come Cannell's most engaging characters yet -- a spirited assortment of clever con artists.

King Con vs. The DonRaised in a world of flim
Published June 1st 1998 by Avon (first published December 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about King Con, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Con

John
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This may not be up to the level of Oceans 11 or The Italian Job, but it's close. The cons in this story are a lot more involved than I expected, and Cannell has done a whole lot of research to make everything as believable as possible. The writing is taut and often brilliant, though not so much so when it comes to the romance angle. A great read: edgy, filled with surprises and cool lingo. I generally expect a lot of cheese from Cannell (he is the creator of the A-Team, after all), but his novel ...more
Leon Aldrich
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2012-reads
I loved it just as much the second time around.
Michael
This was entertaining, though full of silliness too. It's about a con man getting revenge by setting up a situation like in the movie "the Sting". What I liked best was that this writer has some kind of real research source. He has to be talking to a person who travels around ripping people off. It occurred to me several times during the book that tricks like this had been tried on me in NY. Not the big deal, but some of the smaller scams he describes- what a "grifter" would do, scamming 50 buck ...more
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was nothing short of captivating. Beano Bates is the star of a huge (I mean HUGE) extended family of con artists. Victoria, New York City prosecutor gets screwed (figuratively, this time) by her boss and lands on Beano's team to finally trap the bad guys. This plot is fun and fast and fantastic. It's the kind of book that is hard to put down because you don't trust the characters not to pull a fast one behind your back!
Tex
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because Cannell is such a good writer, the visuals he creates are easy to follow, even in this complicated con. It's The Sting and Oceans 11 in novel form. Love the addition of the entire family of con-people. Purchased at Goodwill, checked the nameplate and I've got a first edition here. Sweet.
Ryan Burt
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun con book. Had some good explinations of cons. Enjoyable.
David
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A 2-3 novel. A Con is run, a con only a fool would fall for, and ending not quite up to that movie The Sting.
Thom
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Big thumbs up for another adrenaline ride with colorful characters full of hip street vernacular in a world of "bad guys", gamblers and con men. Cannell is one of my all-time, favorite authors.
Natalie Regis
entertaining, quick read
Brett Thomasson
King Con was TV producer/writer Stephen J. Cannell's third novel, published in 1998. Cannell had created shows like The Rockford Files, The A-Team, Wiseguy and Hunter, but by this point in his career his output was mostly TV movies from older series. His only ongoing series still on the air in 1998 was Silk Stalkings, which would be canceled the next year, and neither it nor his then-recently canceled Renegade measured up to the quality of his earlier output.

But Cannell had started in television
Scott
Television's super-producer (he created, wrote for or executive-produced over 30 different series, including The Rockford Files, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Hardcastle and McCormick, The Greatest American Hero, Wiseguy, Profit, Stingray and Silk Stalkings) has become a full-time novelist, with fourteen novels to his credit. King Con was one of his earliest, and is still one of my favorites. Cannell was well known for his snappy dialog and quirky characters on TV, and King Con seems to capture that writ ...more
Zach
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
We provide leverage...

The book is different from Cannell's Shane Scully series. Rather than a police procedural, this is more of a caper. More similar to Donald Westlake than Michael Connelly. The book takes a little to get into, but once the action starts, the story movies quickly through various schemes culminating the really big con.

The one draw back to the story is the female protagonist. She is by far the least interesting character. Cannell has populated the story with some intersting cha
Benjamin Thomas
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
"How you gonna play the bubble?"

"Gonna rope the mooch with a tat, steer him with a mack, probably put him on the country-send to his drop, and play him off against the wall."

This was my first Cannell novel and it was much as I expected, having come highly recommended by a good friend of mine. The author cut his teeth as a writer/producer of TV shows in the 70s and 80s and this novel reads kinda of like that. Plot is what it's all about, a little less on characterization etc, and you will need to
Space
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Huge story. Grandiose plotline, like most of Cannell's work. A friend turned me onto this one and I really enjoyed it. Being my first encounter with this author, I didn't know what I was getting into, but I'm glad in hindsight that this was the first I had read. It wasn't a Shane Scully novel, and it was probably (at least so far, in my opinion) Cannell's best book. I will probably read it again, and would recommend it to anyone who likes big gigantic storylines with a lot going on.

The protag ha
Maddy
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
PROTAGONIST: Beano Bates, con man
SERIES: Standalone
RATING: 2.75
WHY: Beano Bates is "King Con" and a member of a huge family of grifters. When his cousin is murdered, he teams up with a Prosecuting Attorney named Victoria Hart to avenge the act. He sets up a huge con to take down the New Jersey mobsters responsible. Although I love caper books, this one just didn't cut it. There was one clever con. A second con was not credible involving cellophane gas, wheelchairs and dice. The major con was way
Katie
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
I really enjoyed the story of this one. It was easy to follow and a quick but highly enjoyable read. XD My favorite scene was the one in which they (Beano and Victoria) bought the black pearl and continued to resell it right back for a higher price. It was quite amusing XD
I also watched the first six episodes of Missing Persons (from the 90s XD) which was produced by Cannell, and I was yet again reminded of the genius this man gave us.
**little salute to Cannell** <3
John Morse
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well-crafted story that fits well between "The Sting" and "American Hustle". Fast-moving and full of action.
Davehk
Jan 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Fast read. LOTS of characters. Stephen Cannell obviously does a lot of research into his areas and I really enjoy that. In some ways, he's a moderated version of that chappie who writes that fiction based on the US Armed Services and is very technical about it This book is all about the argot and techniques of con men and women.
King Steelo
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is truly one of my favorite books ever. Ironically I read it while incarcerated and the cons were very entertaining. It made me wonder how many prisoners I was surrounded by ever tried these cons before? Truly a masterpiece by Cannell and I recommend it to all readers incarcerated and in the free world!
Amy
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I was a good book, but I found myself day dreaming a lot while I was reading. I love the way the author rights. He is able to define each character differently with the way talk. Which, in this book, was sometimes hard to figure out what they were trying to say. But I enjoyed each character. Good book, but sometimes found it hard to stay focused.
Curt
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was a quick easy read that I really enjoyed. Not too much strain on the brain and very entertaining.
The number of typos and bad grammar in this book is mind-boggling and the reason for my three-star rating. I was expecting a disclaimer at the end of the book saying that the typos were intentional and that a prize would be awarded to the person who found the most.
Beano Bates
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
well, guess how i came up with my username. bingo!
this is the first Stephen book i've read and i got hooked. I like heist and caper stories, that's why i'm into Donald E. Westlake too.
i like the story because of the revenge thing. always want to do something like it. hehe. and i've learned some cons which made me aware of those . at least, i won't be an easy mark.
Mark
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I love the Shane Scully series by Cannell and some how missed this stand-alone...A DA joins a con man in a huge "revenge" con on a gangster who was behind the murder of a good friend & family member of the con man...not Scully, but a decent read!
Cathy
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
A rollicking crime romp. Cannell won't win any prose-writing finesse points, but for me at least, that didn't diminish the fun story too much. The con at the center of this story is intricate, but not so complex that you have to stretch too many brain muscles while reading it. A solid "liked it."
Robert
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A splendid story about the art of the con with colorful and vividly written characters and settings. It is a shame that the author did not continue the adventures of the King of the Con (Beano X. Bates) in a further series of novels.
Jake
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Audio Book. A Con artist on the FBI 10 most wanted list gets beat nearly to death after cheating a mafia don at a poker game. The mafia don has his brother kill the witness who happens to be the Car artist's (Beano Bates) cousin and closest friend. Bea
Karsten
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book that I've read from this author and I will definitely read more of his books. It was a well written story, and the research that went into this book is quite evident. Fun read worth the time
February Four
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Typos abound ("weil" instead of "we'll" multiple times, "man" instead of "than" multiple times, and dammit, "break" that should have been "brake" multiple times) . But the story was compelling, and I had to see it through. All's well that ends well, though poor Dakota... poor woman.
Maureen
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books- have read several times. Will miss Cannell's writings.
Earl
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I think this was the best of his books. He wrote Rockford Files. King Con is very much like movie The Sting.
  • As Dog is My Witness (Aaron Tucker Mystery #3)
  • The Brush-Off: A Hair-Raising Mystery
  • The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • Noir
  • Stop This Man!
  • Soul of Fire (Magical British Empire, #2)
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • Ashes and Bones (An Emma Fielding Mystery, #6)
  • The New Centurions
  • Diamond Bikini
  • Phoenix Noir
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #9)
  • A Flicker of Doubt (Candlemaking Mystery #4)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • The Vaults
  • Died to Match (Carnegie Kincaid, #2)
  • The Weight
Stephen J. Cannell was an American television producer, writer, novelist, and occasional actor, and the founder of Cannell Entertainment (formerly Stephen J. Cannell Productions) and the Cannell Studios.

Cannell created or co-created several successful TV series from the 1970s to the 1990s. Creations included The Rockford Files, The A-Team, The Greatest American Hero, 21 Jump Street, and The Commis
More about Stephen J. Cannell

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand