Start by marking “Blackbird” as Want to Read:
Blackbird

Blackbird

A dark, biting literary debut for fans of Caroline Kepnes following the unlikely bond between two sociopaths―and the destruction left in their wake.

Hardcover, ARC Cover, 312 pages
Published November 14th 2017 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird

karen
The targets are just a bunch of heads at the end of the day, and inside each is a big juicy brain, about two pounds of which is water. The human body is mostly water, in fact, roughly two-thirds. We are literally trash bags full of liquid, waiting to pop. There are a hundred thousand miles of blood vessels, connected to a fist-sized muscle pushing five liters of blood around with enough force to squirt ten yards through the air should someone put a bullet through your neck.

Ah, yes. People fascin
Jaline
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx2018-completed
This was not an easy read for me. Aside from the fact that one must pay attention or miss out on some important information, this book alternately attracted and repelled me. I had to put it down many times. I had to pick it back up many times.

Of all my armchair journeys, I have never yet spent one in the company of a terrorist, or terrorists. If I had a little box for that, it would now have a check mark. I not only spent time with domestic terrorists, but I was in their heads. Most of their sto
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Jennifer
Shelves: edelweiss, read-2017
I'm going with 2.5 stars but I'm rounding up to three stars because I'm really not sure how I feel about this book.

The first part of the book I liked more than the second. Edison is a serial killer for hire. He doesn't have real emotions and freely admits to that. Then one day he is at a restaurant and sees eight year old Christina. He takes her. She deserves a better life than the one she is living (he feels.)

Don't get all excited, he doesn't take her because he is an old pervert. He is just we
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
[considering 3.5 stars]
Caroline Kepnes, the author of You and
Hidden Bodies, subtly recommended Michael Fiegel's Blackbird on her Facebook page. It was just a little tidbit at the end of a long post about this book she was currently enjoying...subtle but intriguing. It's not scheduled for release until November 2017 but now I have to get my hands on it, right?! Edelweiss had a review copy available and I snapped it up. It took me two weeks to read it: some issues with my own time availability an
Rebecca McNutt
description
Fans of Leon the Professional will really enjoy this story. It's a gritty and shocking character study, offering a glimpse into a world best not explored, and it's deeply psychological in nature. There's also a lot of wit and dark humor, but ultimately Blackbird is a look at what it means to be evil, and more importantly, what it means to be good.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found here!

DNF at 55%

The whole time I read this, it felt like I could just set it down and forget about it. And, I did that, actually. Each day, I’d put it down after reading the page number I needed. The next day, I’d pick it up, vaguely remembering what happened.

Edision and Xtian were interesting characters. One day, Edision goes into a fast food restaurant, gets into a fight, and shoots people. He takes a little girl with him, Xtian. And they live together, him raising
Talk Supe
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
It started with mayonnaise.

BLACKBIRD is a tale about a domestic terrorist that abducted a child and trained her to be like him. You’ll probably expect a lot of blood and guts, and you’ll get that. What you probably won’t expect is how human this book is.

That said, Michael Fiesel didn’t try for the sympathy vote, at least not IMO, he was very straightforward in showing how bad Edison North is and unapologetically so. What I liked here is the balance, it didn’t try to shock or scare, it presente
Emily Hemenway
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What to say about this book... Is it disturbing? Yes. Is it alarming? Yes. Would I let my mother read it?
Probably not. Despite the murder and mayhem, does it wiggle itself down into your heart and soul like some weird little worm and dig up little bits of emotions you didn't know you had? Most definitely.
On every level this book isn't really something I would usually go for, and yet here we are with me gushing about it. Somehow in its own dark and twisted way it tugs at your heartstrings and l
Corey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read various editions of Blackbird over the last 10 years and it's only gotten better with age, so sort of like Helen Mirren. I am very pleased that a larger audience will finally be exposed to the Chronicles of Edison North - it's been a long time coming and has certainly been worth the wait. I hope that you'll all enjoy reading about our favorite pair of misanthropes as much as those of us lucky enough to have been along for the ride have.
Alison
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes. Just yes.
Dominus~
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was spectacularly different.

Knowing about something is useless unless you can do something about it.

I cannot point out how true and real this is. You can say whatever you want or any excuses you can think of but the truth is right there in that quote.

The analogies here are the best. Its very entertaining and different. It has like a mix of lightness in a see of grayness. The duo here is comical, in contrast of the subject matter of the book.

Here is an example: (view spoiler)
Sean
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As I get older, fewer fiction novels seem to be able to enthrall me and leave me considering them a "page-turner". This is a notable exception. From the first chapter to the last it pulls you in and doesn't let go, and when it does you wished it hadn't yet. Every page leaves you wanting more, grasping for something tangible much like the characters. It satisfies yet leaves you hungry, it fulfills you with an emptiness that few novels or authors I've ever encountered are capable of. To say that i ...more
Arthur
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark as a Blackbird

Very strange and dark storyline . Cells of killers who work for an unknown organization . No reason is ever given for their “jobs” . A child abducted by one of the killers is raised and groomed to become one of “them”. Very dark and existential story line .
Emily
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this. It affected me deeply and it will forever be one of my favorite stories of all time. Michael Fiegel - you effing rock.
Donna
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I really enjoyed this book.
Sue Williams
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults. ? teens. 0 children
Recommended to Sue by: Book Habit
This book caused me to fall out of bed one night. I was dreaming about something similar to Blackbird and I fell out of bed trying to get away from what was happening. Don't let that discourage you from reading it It has been put in the horror genre but I am not so sure it belongs there. The story is about a professional for hire serial killer. A loner mostly. One day at a fast food restaurant he sees a little girl being ignored by the other kids and mistreated verbally by the boy behind the cou ...more
Brenda L. Severson
Surprised by how good this book is!

I passed on this book a few times before reading it, I thought the story line would be weird, yet oddly compelled to read it. I have to say it was very different from anything I've ever read . I loved it and will follow this extraordinary author. Highly recommend this book to heavy readers looking for something unique and fresh, you will not be disappointed.
This book should be made into a movie, if done correctly it would be incredible!
Alanna Scanlon
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no real expectations when I started this book, but the story starts out at high speed drawing you in immediately to the intertwined lives of the two protagonists - talk about Stockholm Syndrome gone wrong! This is not a book for anyone who wants to like their lead characters - very much the point of this book. It is also not for anyone who gets queasy at the thought of violence...especially collateral damage. Writing with two fonts gives two voices to a single story, which is clever for th ...more
George Ann
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Great novel.

He related truthfully how our messed up world is, and I felt his meaning was just as it really is today. I loved how he used this in the story. I read it in 2 days, but could have done it in one. He weaves a great story, and I look forward to more books from him.
Erin
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-and-twisty
Dark and twisty!

Edison is bad...morally reprehensible...there's no noble motives for his kills or pained guilt after he destroys lives. And, one day he drags an innocent little girl into his life because of mayonnaise...

Xtian becomes the monster that he made her.

I expected this book to be more of a father-daughter murder spree, but instead, I found two fundamentally broken characters who just can't give up one another. Dark and twisty...in a way that Meredith Grey could never hope to achieve!
Doreen Cavazza
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now THAT'S how to write a good book. This is well written, engaging, and I can't say enough good about it. The author knows how to spin a tale that's interesting and gripping. Very good character development. I was sad to leave them when I finished the book. I couldn't put the book down. The story grabs you right from the beginning and keeps you hooked. It's gritty and not for the faint of heart, perhaps, and I loved it. I recommend this book highly.
Shannon Tuttle
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been looking forward to reading this book since Caroline Kepnes recommended it and I was definitely not disappointed. I enjoyed living in Edison and Christian's world and minds and even had a couple moments where I gasped out loud. Michael Fiegel is definitely a master of the chapter ending cliffhanger that makes you want to read on. I look forward to what he will write next!
Popkins
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book! I really enjoyed reading the point of view from the main characters, often stories like these are written from one perspective.
Vitaly
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very well written book. I Really enjoyed the story and the characters.
Kel
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE vile, immoral characters that make you hate yourself for loving them. This book is packed full of them, but I will miss Edison North most.
Letha  Griffin
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different from my usual choices

I got pulled into the story early and had to stay for the whole ride. Interesting premise and well developed characters .
Hunida
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars

Whoa, what a mind-fuck of a novel. It’s been a few days since I finished it and I still can’t stop thinking about Christian and Edison. They were both such interesting characters and I can’t even begin to explain why I loved them so much. In the end, certain things could and should have went a different route… though, the ultimate ending makes absolute sense. It had to be that way for us to understand Edison thoroughly.

I enjoyed the alternate POVs and fonts. The author, Michael
Chris
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I legitimately have no idea how to explain the book or how I feel about it. It's an awful story with some really tragically flawed - and worse, sociopathic - people who don't deserve our time much less pity. The events that unfold are horrific, between child abduction, extreme loss of life and domestic terrorism. There's barely a single ray of hope - if any - that shines through the book's narrative. It's disturbing, at best.

But I loved it. And I don't know why.

Maybe it's because I've never rea
Amanda
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blackbird is a compelling story about a professional serial killer and a burger with mayonnaise. Fiegel is an accomplished author, a huge nerd, and possibly a mild-mannered sociopath. They say write what you know!

I've read this book at least 3 times and I'll probably read it at least 3 more before genetic factors and a super mediocre diet bury me with heart disease. 10/5 would recommend.
Kryssi D'Eredita
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will definitely be reading whatever this author writes next!
Gritty, real, and unapologetic. An original, for sure.
Goodreads Feedback: Suggested change to keywords passed to Amazon 2 51 Nov 22, 2017 04:48AM
Goodreads Librari...: Broken Amazon Link 8 25 Nov 20, 2017 06:29PM
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate book listing 3 17 Oct 18, 2017 11:49AM

• Gideon (Lauren Reardon #1)
  • Lori
  • The Caretaker
  • Не беше тук и си отиде
  • Bloodwalker
  • Kiss of the Silver Wolf
  • The Blood of Before  (The Bones of the Earth, #0.1)
  • Soundtrack to the End of the World
  • Uncharted
  • The Horny Leprechaun 1
  • Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer
  • Nightingale Songs
  • The Killing Gift
  • Gods of Wood and Stone
  • The Excalibur Murders (Merlin Investigation, #1)
  • The Span of Empire (Jao #3)
  • Goliath
  • Fog of Dead Souls
Michael Fiegel is a writer and designer best known as the creator of Ninja Burger, an Internet cult classic that spawned a series of books and games. In addition to his work in the game industry, Fiegel has written and designed for a number of online outlets. Blackbird is Michael Fiegel's first novel. He lives in Seattle with his wife and two cats.
“When I was eight years old, I was abducted from a fast food restaurant by a man who took me, in all likelihood, because of a small splotch of mayonnaise on his hamburger. And so I believe in neither free will nor predetermination.

I believe in condiments.”
2 likes
“The Greeks had four words for love, and I had no idea which one fit, but it was there: real, chemical, inevitable. You spend enough time with someone and your molecules blend. You become part of each other. It seemed like it should be obvious, though it maybe wasn’t, or at least would not be to most people. Would he be surprised? Probably not. To him it would have been inevitable and impossible, both at once. And he would have laughed at my words and ruined my soul.” 1 likes