Start by marking “The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)

The Hangman

(The Forgotten Files #3)

Julia Vargas is a cop with a mission. When she’s not chasing down bad guys, Julia dedicates her time to investigating the Hangman serial killer…the same unsolved case that her father, Jim Vargas, was working on when he supposedly shot and killed himself three decades before. While rumors continue to swirl around her father’s death, Julia attempts to hunt down the truth.

The
Published April 25th 2017 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about The Hangman, please sign up.
Gillian The Shark is the first excellent book. The Dollmaker is the second excellent book.
Megan I've been looking, but there doesn't appear to be 4th book yet.

Pouting Always
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Julia Vargas is reopening the last case her father worked on before he killed himself where three prostitutes were murdered and left hanging, tied up in a way that suggested a sexual motive. She's just back on the field after working undercover and almost getting killed doing so. At the same time a body is discovered in Tobias Novak's jurisdiction when an old house that was recently sold is set on fire. The women whose body was discovered has been dead for more than twenty years and things get e ...more
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

This is the third book in The Forgotten Files Series and this series is just fantastic. I have loved every book so far. This one just kept me turning the pages. It is not for the faint of heart. I really love this author. She keeps us guessing with twists and turns, along with fast-moving character involvement. I love the way each character has the potential to be involved in the murders and I loved that I was still guessing as the story ended. I loved the suspense and it took off str
Alex ♈
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good and intense suspense, strong heroine, good hero.

It's a shame this is the last book in this series :-(
There are still many characters, who need their stories *lol*

I would be thrilled to read more!
Carrie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Hangman is the third book in the Forgotten Files series by Mary Burton. Each book in this series has featured a different lead male and female character that while investigating a crime have also started up a bit of a romance between them. Because each book features different characters it's not necessary to have read earlier books to enjoy the series.

In The Hangman Tobias Novak, a homicide detective, is called to investigate the scene of a crime after a fire at an abandoned home. Locked in
Linda Strong
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detective Tobias Novak is called out of his warm bed to go investigate some bones that have been found. Much to his surprise, the bones are at least 25 years old and there is a picture of Julia Vargas and her father taken when she was just a child. And now he's going to have to get her out of his warm bed and have her take a look.

The Hangman, back in the day, killed three women by slowly hanging, over and over again, until he got tired of the game. All of a sudden, he just stopped, never to be s
Terri Wino
3-1/2 stars

I definitely think this book was the best of this series thus far. The first two books suffered from glaring editing errors and/or the dreaded too many pages for the type of story syndrome.

The Hangman was a much tighter, more suspenseful story. I really liked both Julia and Novak's characters. Though I had my suspicions about the Hangman, I was guessing until the end of the book. The story also seemed like a perfect length to me. I did not find my attention wandering and wasn't bore
Mei
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Well, it's very difficult to find a good RS nowdays...
Maybe I'm spoilt by CSI, Criminal Minds, Cold Case, etc. but I find out that there's a lot of useless clutter in them!
To much emphasis on inner musing/suffering from trauma for me!
It's full of French-noir-translated-into-USA tropes, if you know what I mean...
CD {Boulder Blvd}
The Hangman is the 3rd book in The Forgotten Series by Mary Burton. I've read numerous books by Ms. Burton and I think this series is her best yet. It is in the romantic suspense genre, however the emphasis is on the suspense plot and the romance is a subplot. For a lot of romance lovers this isn't the mix of preference. For me, this is exactly what I look for. Ms. Burton is definitely one of my go to authors.

I like when a cold case and a current crime have elements that point to the same perpet
Anita
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, romantic-supense

Mystery with a dash of Romance is the best way to describe The Forgotten Files series by Mary Burton. In this book you have a case from 25 years ago that comes alive again when Julia Vargas decides to reopen The Hangman cases in order to either clear her father, Richmond, VA detective Jim Vargas, or prove he did it. The Hangman is a solid story and a plot with plenty of twists
Quynh
25 years ago, Jim Vargas died while investigating into serial killer murders where women were tied and hung, hence giving the killer the name of Hangman. Now near the anniversary of his death, another body is found, linking it to those cases. The recent murder is being investigated by detective Tobias Novak, and Julia Vargas, Jim's daughter.

Julia never really knew her father, considering he was in undercover work and was never around before his death. Now it's her chance to reopen the cold cases
Zoe
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Action-packed, riveting and impeccably executed!

This is a well crafted, gripping thriller that takes us on a hunt to find a ruthless serial killer and reminds us that when it comes to organized crime, secrecy, trust and loyalty means everything.

The writing is fluid and seamless. The characters are intriguing, determined, scarred, strong and sexy. And the storyline is a roller coaster ride of secrets, lies, danger, red herrings, murder, sizzling chemistry, tension, and romance.

To me this series j
Caz
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars

The Hangman is the third title in Mary Burton’s Forgotten Files series of romantic suspense novels, in which the protagonists find themselves investigating ‘cold cases’, unsolved crimes dating back many years, which hold a particular significance for them. The principals in each story are different, so although some characters from the previous books appear in secondary roles, there’s no need to have read them to enjoy this one, which works perf
Chloe
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Hangman is the third book in The Forgotten Series by Mary Burton and can be read as a stand-alone.

Julia Vargas is re-investigating The Hangman case her father was working on before committing suicide. Meanwhile Tobias Novak, a homicide detective, is investigating a crime scene in a burnt building where a woman’s body is discovered. Next to the body is a picture of Julia with her dad when she was a little girl. Julia has no idea how the picture ended at the scene of crime and how the victim w
Cindy ~
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The past is not always long dead.. Sometimes its just been lying dormant and we all knows what happens when you start poking a sleeping bear.

The Hangman's reign of terror was thought to have ended 24 years ago. But the daughter of the undercover officer who had been tracking him all those years ago and who committed suicide at the same time The Hangman took his last victim brings the case front and center again right at the same time a body that has been dead for 24 years turns up and looks to
Petra
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 to 3.75 stars
Cyndi
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one is really good! I loved the hero and heroine and the suspense was great!
Book Him Danno
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mary Burton has the ability to draw readers into her books with a strong story, characters who are flawed, human work hard to bring those to justice who have killed even the weakest of characters.

The story starts off with a bang but slowly develops into a relationship where the female lead is trying to convince the male lead the relationship isn't going to last because she is broken like her father.
Reader are taken on a journey not a wild ride as the leads discover the truth of the The Hangman S
Joan Schulhafer
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure--- I work with Mary. My thoughts--One of my favorites of her books. I have to agree with Publishers Weekly, which says "A gut-wrenching romantic thrller . . . nail-biting moments are even more tense becasue the reader knows the killer's motives while the characters do not. Newcomers and fans will enjoy the slow-burning passion and dangerous action in this gritty tale." RT Book Reviews gave a shout out as well, saying "Will have readers enthralled from the start . .. with a solid plot, ...more
Trish R.
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like books on serial killers but, man, I just hate when the story lets you KNOW the person being killed. I don’t want to hear her talk and beg and see her cry as she’s being killed. Just tell me he killed someone and then tell me how the police went about the solving of the case. He can even keep killing; I just don’t want to “meet” the “killee.” Ya’ know what I mean? I really didn’t need to know Rita Gallagher before he killed her in such a horrible way.

I did like Novak and Julia, and
Avid Reader
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3) by Mary Burton
M/F Mystery
Triggers: Murder, suicide
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

I have loved each and every book in this series and this one didn't disappoint. Julia is trying to figure out why her father committed suicide when she was so young. It's been something that has bothered her throughout her career - people always assuming the worst, worrying that she'll end up doing the same thing, she just wants to know once a
Diane Saul
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Hangman ended his killing spree over 20 years ago. The cop investigating the case at the time committed suicide and many people thought the killings stopped because he was The Hangman. His daughter Julia has followed in her Fathers footsteps and is a cop with the Virginia State Police. Julia doesn't believe her Father was the Hangman and wants to find the truth, even if it turns out she is wrong. Now a body has turned up that could be connected to the old case. Novak, a detective who is in a ...more
Pelusa Rivera
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Received an ARC for my fair review for netgalley. It was another enjoyable book from Ms. Burton, however I thought it should have been a short story, I figured out fairly quickly who the villain was, and that a lot of the writing was just unnecessary filler, but then you may disagree and enjoy more, so pick it up and read my friends, because it still will pass the time. Enjoy!
Tracie Payne
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the story but didn’t love Julia. She’s a little too stubborn and arrogant for me, just not my favorite kinda gal. Tobias was pretty great tho. I also didn’t like a couple of the characters...Wendy and Jim, obstructionist much? Man they pissed me off. What I really want is Andrews story.
Pinky
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4 STARS
(I received an ARC from the PUBLISHER via NETGALLEY)
(Review Not on Blog)

Another gritty suspenseful novel in the Forgotten Files series. In this one we have Julia, a cop, who has been trying to figure out the Hangman case as it took her father. Supposedly, he killed himself while trying to solve the crime. Now thirty years later, the Hangman is back and Julia, along with homicide detective Novak, are the trail.

I hope that this series does not stop with this third book. I am enjoyin
Cheryl
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
First off, let me say that I am a fan of this author's. I have actually read these books out of order. I started with book two, The Dollmaker and next this book. I do plan to go back and read the first book. So if you are one of those people wondering if you can read books out of order, you can. There are some references to prior events from the other books, but really it does not take anything away from the reading experience of this book.

Julia and Tobias made a good team. I did not think that
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of The Hangman by Mary Burton that I read and reviewed.
I loved The Hangman because it kept me wondering who the killer was until the end. I absolutely love it when Burton makes the reader change their mind over and over about who they think did it and she did that to me a number of times in this book and I could not wait to get to the end to see who the Hangman was.
I also loved Julia and Novak as partners and as a couple in this book. They were a great match for
Bri Little
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, romance

I picked up a book by Mary Burton a few months ago but never read it. I think it was The Dollhouse? Anyway, I found this at the library among other thrillers for Halloween chills, and when I got home I realized it was the same author.

I really liked this book. Usually romantic suspense novels are a little too heavy on the romance for me, but Julia and Novak's relationship unfolded naturally and didn't get in the way of the actual plot, which was intriguing as heck and VERY descriptive.
Tish Cocktails & Fairytales
Another hit by this author!! I am so happy that I discovered this series because it's been amazing.....and just keeps getting better and better with each book. The Hangman was my favorite for sure. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out who the bad guy is but I was so very clueless this time. And was completely surprised at the end. I tell anyone that will listen that they need to read these books.
Renee
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In review of this book I find myself once again amazed by this author's writing talent. She has a way or style to her writing that just sweeps me away into the pages of her stories. The Hangman is a fast-paced, intense story that leaves you guessing until the end. The two main characters Julia Vargas and Tobias Novak share a complicated relationship that I enjoyed seeing develop. This is definitely a story that I have already recommended my friends and family to read.
  • Obsession (Southern Comfort, #5)
  • Heinous (Faces of Evil, #9)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • A Righteous Kill (The Shakespearean Suspense, #1)
  • Touch of Red (Tracers, #12)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers, #1)
  • The Off Season
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Too Far Gone (Lucy Kincaid, #14)
  • Where Angels Rest (Mann Family, #1)
  • Take Me Back (Paradise, Idaho, #4)
  • In the Barren Ground
  • Witches Wild (Bewitching Bedlam Book 4)
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)

Mary Burton loves writing suspense, researching law enforcement and forensic procedures, morning walks, baking, books, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels.

Mary is routinely featured among the top ten writers in Amazon’s Author Rankings for romantic suspense. Her recent novel, Her Last Word, reached

The Forgotten Files (3 books)
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
“But everyone wanted to help the victim. At first. Then when they really knew the terrible truth and were confronted by its emotional aftermath, they flaked.” 0 likes
“It was always the shit you couldn’t see that bit you in the ass. Novak’s” 0 likes