Start by marking “Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts” as Want to Read:
Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts

Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts

Lalchand Gupta takes you on an exciting journey through Dalal Street in this brief history of the Indian stock market post liberalization.

From tech booms and tax evasion to banks and money laundering; scams and crashes to fixers and investors, Lala has seen it all.

A comprehensive account of the stock market over the last 25 years, it tells you what to watch out for while

Published October 20th 2016 by Pan Macmillan India

To ask other readers questions about Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts

Start your review of Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts
Hitessh Panchal
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Greatest Thriller Ever Written on Indian Stock Markets !!!

Year By Year account of India's greatest Stock exchanges.

The book is narrative of "Lala" a who starts his life with Indian Stock market from a low level and rises to the top.

you will encounter all big names like Harshad Mehta and Ketan Parikh and how they found loop holes in trading systems and fooled banks and Stock Exchange regulators and created multi million Scams.

Once you reach the end of the book, you will have different views
Swanand Kelkar
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is different than other investment books I have read. Its a fictional story of the evolution of Indian stock markets from the eyes of a fictional jobber/ trader - Lalchand Gupta. Though I use the word fictional twice in the earlier sentence, some real life characters are named while some others are easily guessable.

The book is primarily an 'events' book for the markets interspersed with the behind the scenes goings-on of traders, operators, promoters, money managers and regulators. I t
Ketan Joshi
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best books i ever read on finance and the stock market. The author tells the story of the Indian stock market by creating a rivetting tale that combines both fact and fiction, taking us through the ups and downs of the stock market through the tale of a fictional character, the wily trader Lalchand Gupta. Very hard to put down onve you start reading. Must read if you want to understand what moves stocks on the market, how the mind of a trader works or to understand the wicked s ...more
Manan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super start to the year with a fantastic book. Must read for all the participants of Indian markets.
Nitheesh Immadi
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book with very valuable insights of the evolution of the India stock marker
Vinayak Hegde
A very interesting way to write a book on the Indian stock market from the 1980s to the present. Historical fiction applied to financial markets. Most of the characters are fictional (or based on composites of real characters) but the events depicted are real and the scams and the stock market manipulations mentioned are real with real figures and timelines (sometimes with real characters as well).

The book is a good historical account of the different ups and downs of the stock market as seen f
Harshit Misra
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books written on the Indian financial markets and a really easy read told through the story of Lalchand. As Lalchand evolves as a trader and stock broker in the story, you get to see the economy and the stock markets of India evolve with him. The book covers almost all key financials events in the period of 1990 to about 2015.
Jaydeep Kulkarni
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a initial guide to Indian Stock Market history from 1887 to 2015.

It's journey of an Trader/Jobber Lalchand Gupta, it's very informative & interesting.

I recommend this book for new comer in the Capital Market.
Senthil
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book really captures all the elements necessary to know and understand what Dalal street is!
Ankit Agrawal
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are hardly any books which talk about the Indian financial markets. This one belongs to a rare breed and is a highly riveting and engaging history of the Indian financial markets as a semi-fictional narrative. One gets to read about the high and mighty of the Indian markets, past and present, as well as a lot of inside dope on major historical events which the media in real time may have narrated differently. Some names are taken, some hinted upon and there are some one can figure out by c ...more
Navdeep Pundhir
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading some books on the stock markets and the Global Financial Crisis of late. However, none of it could tell me about the Indian market more than that in pasaing.
Nair has weaved a wellknit story through the lives and times of a stock broker Lala who is the main protagonist of our story. He's a likeable character and within no time you begin to root for him. The catch of all this is that it tells you real stories of the Dalal Street. My father has been an investor for as old as I
Shashank
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A fantastic overview of the workings of the indian capital markets from the 90's to present day. It covers in detail the nuances of scams of Harshad Mehta, Ketan Parekh and Satyam.

I learnt a lot about the various bull and bear phases of the market and as a keen investor, I see history repeating itself in the capital markets today. While the names are different, the key trends all look alike, except with shorter boom to bust cycles due to a number of factors. Santosh's crisp writing style captiva
Nirav Mehta
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engaging fictional tale which covers the history and evolution of the Indian stock markets from the vantage point of a trader, and covers all the major events, including the scams, etc. Recommended to anyone with an interest in the equity markets
Amit Trivedi
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous account of the developments in the Indian stock markets. This gives you a ringside view of the happenings with many important lessons.
Aman Grover
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book to get the glimpse of Indian stock market.
Bhawna Setia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I came across this book by chance when I saw it lying on my friend’s bookshelf and it attracted me like a magnet. While many books have been written on Wall Street, you come across very few Indian stock market participants who come forward to share their experiences at Dalal Street.
The protagonist, Lalchand Gupta, started his journey as an assistant to a small stockbroker but grew by providing insider information to bigtime traders and investors - either through his contacts or through bribing.
Dinesh Kuruganti
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-finance
This book left me with a feeling of watching the movie "Forrest Gump" except that the lead character was an intelligent stock trader and, the background is evolution of Indian Stock Market.
It takes us through the history and evolution of Indian Stock Markets through the life of the fictional character "Lala".
The book details on how Operators/Merchant bankers/Promoters/Big players (Beasts) used to manipulate the market for their own gains.
It shows examples of people getting carried away by the em
Vibhore Jain
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Santosh Nair as Lalchand Gupta takes you through the journey of Indian stock market and all the key changes that made Dalal Street, Sensex/Nifty and BSE/NSE what they are today. The tone of the book is perfectly balanced, sometimes confessing, sometimes speculating while being critical the rest of the time.

It is fascinating to know how 'trading floor' functioned for people like me who are comfortable with electronic trading in the initial chapters and how stock manipulation was a very common thi
Soham Naik
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History of the Indian stock markets made easy!!!

Initially I was a bit hesitant to buy this book since I am not a fan of history books. But after reading the reviews I brought the book. Trust me, the book is worth it.

The book covers the key events of the stock market in a very lucid manner. The book has 42 chapters. The real fun , suspense starts from chapter 20. From chapter 20 to the end, I just found it impossible to keep the book away.

I was also surprised by the sheer extent to which people
Mitesh
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a thoroughly engaging book describing the evolution of Bombay Stock Exchange and the equity capital markets in India over the past 3 decades. It describes the journey from a chaotic market with power concentrated in a few hands to the almost sterile, algorithm driven and too big for an individual/ organization of the present day. The author makes the book very engaging by using a first person narration with superb anecdotes sprinkled with humor and connecting everything with major socio- ...more
Agraj
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a must-read for all budding Indian stock market enthusiasts and participants. The author starts with a nice historical perspective of the the Indian Stock market taking us through the various important milestones/events that transpired over the past few decades. He also gives a lot of first hand accounts of behind the scenes (shady) market dealings while also explaining the modus operandi and the repurcussions. Some of these were definite eye openers and exposed various traps (and B ...more
Shekar Subramanian
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It becomes very easy to understand concepts when it is taught in a story telling manner & Santosh Nair has been excellent in doing so. When you read the book you actually get this sense of a relative, a father or an uncle sharing his wisdom based on his experience of what actually happens in the real world. As much as it is an engaging read, there are many instance where you can underline certain points that writer wants to convey and these snippets of wisdom will be really helpful in both under ...more
Praveen Selvaraj
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book fills a vacuum. A personalised story of Dalal Street from 1990s till date. The book sheds light into the scary days when broker was the over lord. A peek into life before terminal based trade, when a client always pays the day high for his share purchases and day low for his sales.... When scrupulous promoters used devious techniques to issue duplicate share certificates...

How LIC & SUUTI became the major shareholders of ITC etc...

There is no book covering the subject. So readers have
Reena Narula
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Liked the book because it gives a detailed overview of Indian business landscape right from 1980's till date. Takes you through various milestones involving major policy decisions, formation of institutions, various bodies etc. Lots of detail that can come in handy in conversations as a banker and also in better understanding of day to day news of Indian financial markets. All this and yet the book reads like a thriller, never gets heavy with jargons etc and doesn't bore you like many other book ...more
bhupendra bhoi
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stock market has always been the most talked about element in any Economy.

"Bulls, Bears and other Beasts" is a story of Indian stock market written by Santosh Nair. In this book santosh Nair has narrated different aspects of trading and market in general. Further, he has also elaborated upon stock market scams in last three decades starting from Harshad mehta, Ketan parekh and NSEL case.

It is a journey of a small jobber to become a successful trader in stock market. Beautiful book for anyone int
Akhil Parekh
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detailed, well researched, fast paced and funny account of someone who has worked in Indian stock market for last 40 years. It's a perfect book for someone who has not seen or worked in Indian market for long enough.

Author takes you through every boom and bust cycles of Indian stock market in very well detailed manner.

By far the best book on Indian stock market and a must read for everyone who is remotely interested in this field.
Shikhar Johar
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The book gives you the history of the "Dalal Street" as we know of today in a very raw and humours form. The book takes the reader from the age of dominance of few brokers to the current age of electronic trading and on the way explains the reason of creation of different financial institutions for safeguarding as well as the rise and fall of the biggest personalities of the Dalal Street. An awesome read for anyone who is interested in the Indian Stock Market.
Manish Gupta
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some books just surprise you. I picked this one as a casual read on the Indian stock markets. And what a surprise.

The book has been written in a very simple and free flowing manner and one just gets hooked on and finds it exceedingly difficult to put it down. Very insightful, very informative and very entertaining.

This one's a must read even if you have only a passing interested in the Indian stock markets. If you do have an interest this one is a collectible.
Sachetan Bhat
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are very few well researched book written in the context of Indian Stock Market. 'Bulls , Bears and Other Beasts' is one of the rare book that does the commendable job of engaging reader though out 400+pages also provides very good information on Market. With the combination of History and fiction author showcase us events that shaped the Indian Market. It is also gives good information of mechanism by which market operates in the short run.

Over all worth reading the book.
Mayank Joshi
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
If Indian equity market and their contemporary history is of interest than this book is a good read. It's not an exhaustive and an historical artifact but it does briefly touch upon important times lines, more in an folksy fashion. Overall, a good an engaging tale from a market participant point of view.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Unusual Billionaires
  • Coffee Can Investing:: The Low Risk Road to Stupendous Wealth
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Let's Talk Money
  • One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
  • Romancing The Balance Sheets
  • Gurus of Chaos: Modern India's Money Masters
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • How to Avoid Loss and Earn Consistently in the Stock Market: An Easy-To-Understand and Practical Guide for Every Investor
  • Beating the Street