Start by marking “The Quiet at the End of the World” as Want to Read:
The Quiet at the End of the World

The Quiet at the End of the World

How far would you go to save those you love?

Lowrie and Shen are the youngest people on the planet after a virus caused global infertility. Closeted in a pocket of London and doted upon by a small, ageing community, the pair spend their days mudlarking for artefacts from history and looking for treasure in their once-opulent mansion.

Their idyllic life is torn apart when a
Published March 7th 2019 by Walker Books

The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
769 books — 2,030 voters
The Twisted Tree by Rachel BurgeA Girl Called Shameless by Laura StevenThe Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy PowrieA Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly  JacksonProud by Juno Dawson
UKYA in 2019
53 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren James
Jun 19, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this!!

March 2019 - The book is RELEASED!
I had a launch at Waterstones Piccadilly and you can watch 27 minutes of the panel here.

SFX magazine reviewed the book and gave it five stars! They said "A controlled yet elegantly light touch makes The Quiet at the End of the World a credible, hugely rewarding read."

sfxsfx2sfx3

Some things I've written about the book:

Research trips I took when writing the book
Writing playlist
Fancasting the characters
Where I got the idea
The science representation in the b
Alice Oseman
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lauren's newest book is a deeply human story about a 'soft apocalypse' - what happens when humans stop being able to reproduce and you have to slowly watch your entire species go extinct as you grow up? Beautiful, melancholic, and hopeful - this is a perfect book for the dark times we currently live in. 'The Quiet at the End of the World' will give you faith in humanity again.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, 2019
THIS WAS SO GOOD!
Diversity - A+ (the MC is bisexual, the love interest is Chinese/British with a hearing impairment and there's a trans character!)
pLOT TWISTS - you're going to have to pick your jaw up off the ground (i'm still searching for mine)
the ROMANCE - absolutely SWOON-WORTHY
the message - so WHOLESOME

that's it... that's the review... you should check it out XD

Thanks to Walker for the review copy!
Kai
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 2018, glbt
"I've been thinking about extinction..."

Haven't we all, honey? It' hard not to in this economy.

The Quiet at the End of the World is what you would call a feelgood dystopia. It's a little like a contemporary novel set in the future. It's a win-win situation, all the good stuff in just one book. The story is set in London, where the last humans on earth have formed a community to raise Lowrie and Shen, the last living teenagers. While the city is crumbling around them, they are trying to find a cu
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 20, 2018 marked it as tbr-faves
2014 Lauren James: who are you
2018 Lauren James: I'm you but fucked up
Whispering Stories
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Teenagers Lowrie and Shen are the youngest humans left on earth. In February 2024 the population of the world was infected with a virus that made them all infertile. The only humans that were conceived after this date were from eggs frozen at fertility clinics.

Now in the year 2109 and with the population of the world so small the last people have all congregated in central London, UK, to form there own little family and to protect the last two
Lucy Powrie
My favourite book of 2018, The Quiet at the End of the World is the stunning new book from Lauren James. I've loved all of her books so far, but I think this is my favourite -- Lowrie and Shen are two of the most loveable characters you could wish to meet, and I had a very big soft-spot for Mitch.

Even though I've come to expect huge twists in Lauren's books, I never seem to be able to guess them, and have to put the book down to take a big breather -- she never fails to shock me (in a good way!!
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Note to self: Do not read a book on a bus, gasp loudly like a goldfish at response to a plot twist otherwise you get an array of confused stares!

That is what happened when I dived into Lauren's latest release. A YA Sci-Fi novel set in the future, in the heart of London. At this point, two young friends Lowrie and Shen are the youngest humans left alive on Earth. This was due to a serious virus that caused high levels of global infertility. They both love digging up drains for artefacts, until th
Justine
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
A nice book about finding out what is meaningful to you and what it means to be human.

Some of the themes explored are similar to those in James' previous book, The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, where Romy copes with living alone on a ship in deep space. Here, the main character has grown up knowing that, after the small community of older people she lives in die, she and her friend Shen are going to be the last two humans on Earth, watching as humanity winds down to a close.

Lowrie and Shen ar
Olivia
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I read in one go, not wanting to stop, too curious to see how it ends. The premise is a soft apocalypse, and the world doesn't go out with a bang but slowly, silently with infertility.

Lauren James takes her time to explore what humanity would do with tech at their fingertips once people can no longer have children. At first, they hope it's a blip. It'll all be over soon. How could it not? Then, they throw their entire budget at science, trying to rectify the issue. Fin
☄ ari
This was fantastic. Lauren James is a sci fi queen, and knows exactly how to throw a curve-ball halfway through a novel and make it work brilliantly. I also loved just how diverse this was (casual diversity in genre specific fiction is what I Live for).
Becky
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great! Loved the characters- and there was so much diversity! 😊

Very interesting look at what could be with robotics in the future - but scary at the same time but really interesting. Loved reading about what Lowrie & Shen found at the start of each chapter from the past - as well as their relationship between themselves & The their characters.
I did really enjoy reading the snippets from social media too. Got very invested in this story 😂
Emer
I loved this. It was just such good storytelling. It was thoughtful, smart, funny, sweet... Just a thoroughly engaging read. And the fact that it had a lifeguard robot named after Mitch Buchannon was just the most inspired character naming ever.
Nikki
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really do love Lauren James’ writing. She has a deftness with words that is hard to find.

This book is also aptly named - it’s a quiet read, understated and beautiful. The atmosphere of a barely lived in world full of crumbling buildings really comes across.

I loved the twists too. I really don’t want to spoil them, so I won’t go into detail, but the first one really got me. Though the second one I guessed not long after, it was still really well done and beautifully layered through the book.
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
I am quickly learning that when it comes to the author, Lauren James, you should always expect the unexpected! Lauren’s new book was certainly a rollercoaster, and I haven’t read a novel that has kept me guessing this much in a VERY LONG TIME.

Okay, so I just want to preface this review by saying that The Quiet at the End of the World is a VERY difficult book to review without dipping into spoilers. A lot of the best things about it must remain a secret if you’re planning to pick it up, so please
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
[gifted]. I'm a huge fan of The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, so I was very excited to delve into Lauren's latest book. Whilst this one starts off quite slow, it quickly builds into an adventure rollercoaster. I love how Lauren's books open up questions about science and the universe and make me see the world a little bit differently. I also love the way she talked about sexuality. My only gripe is that her books are never long enough; I read this in two days!
Elliott
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
DOES LAUREN JAMES KNOW THAT I WOULD DIE FOR HER
Stacey (prettybooks)
Aren’t Lauren James’s books just so pretty? The Quiet at the End of the World was one of the books on my ‘to buy’ list this year. I really look forward to her science fiction, especially knowing that she’s so passionate about women in science!

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.
Khrys ♡《TheWaffleGirl》
I truly enjoyed reading this!! I've heard a lot about Lauren James, author of The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, for a while now and I could see that she really created a perfect contemporary read which I faced no major problems with throughout my entire reading experience.

It has a very intriguing premise where a boy and a girl, Lowrie and Shen, are the youngest people on Earth due to a virus that had caused global infertility. Not only are Lowrie and Shen incredibly likeable and interesting p
K.
Trigger warnings: blood, infertility, extinction of the human race, death of a parent (in the past).

3.5 stars.

I adore Lauren James' writing, and she always seems to end up with unfairly stunning covers. This was no exception on both those counts. There's a ton of diversity (the protagonist is bisexual, her best friend is Chinese and deaf in one ear, a character from the past whose social media feeds she ends up reading is bisexual and that character's love interest is trans), and James does a
Marie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Lauren James always, always manages to surprise me with her books, her imagination and her plot twists, too. If this had a bit of a slow start, I ended up really, really enjoying that one A LOT.

Read my review of The Quiet At The End of The World on the blog.

Thank you to Walker Books for sending me a free review copy of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Anniek
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
She did it again! As I loved The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, I had high hopes for Lauren James's new book. And it's so good!!

What I loved most about this is how hopeful it is. Usually, dystopian sci-fi tends to be quite anxiety-inducing for me, but this wasn't at all. I can only describe the pacing as relaxed, and there was little conflict in the book. It's mainly centered around Lowrie discovering secrets about her world, and her coming to terms with being one of the last humans.

It took a w
Nildene
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Tentative 3/5 (maybe 3.5 but we’ll see)

Full review to come – will be on my blog first.

Pros: Mitch, for the most part. Premise/genre. One okayish plot twist.

Neutral: writing

Cons: locale/setting, convenience/nothing pushed the story otherwise, predictable for the most part
Laura (bbliophile)
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this one in 24 hours and I think that says a lot. THAT PLOT TWIST.
Rosanna Threakall
4.5/5

I loved this
Elena
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book in one sitting and loved it! Emotional and thought provoking.
neverlandvicki
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
I don't know how she does it but with every book I fall further in love with the way Lauren writes, each book is different and new but every time it feels like coming home and The Quiet at the End of the World was no exception.
The concept was so interesting and throughout I found myself feeling all fuzzy and becoming more and more intrigued! I gasped and I squealed and I laughed and I cried and I loved every minute of it. As I got closer and closer to the end I was torn between finishing it
Christina Reid
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved The Loneliest Girl in the Universe and the summary for this ticked so many boxes that I was very excited to read it. I loved the main characters and how this book is centred on their relationships with each other, their families and the community that protects them and loves them as the two youngest human beings left alive in a world where homo sapiens are on their way to extinction. The descriptions of the crumbling city, Lowrie's parents' surname (!) and the natural diversity without b ...more

• Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil #3)
  • Malice
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Shaman of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #5)
  • Call It What You Want
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Paper Avalanche
  • Drama Girl (Secrets at St Jude's, #3)
  • The Map from Here to There
  • No One Here Is Lonely
  • Loveless
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • Winter War Awakening (Blood Rose Rebelion #3)
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • Proud
**I don't respond to messages on here - send an ask on Tumblr instead***
Lauren James was born in 1992 and is the British Young Adult author of The Next Together series, The Loneliest Girl in the Universe and The Quiet at the End of the World. She graduated in 2014 from the University of Nottingham, UK, where she studied Chemistry and Physics.

She started writing during secondary school English clas
“There’s no finish line you need to cross to have lived a worthy life, Lowrie. You don’t need to achieve anything if you don’t want to.” 3 likes
“We live in the quiet at the end of the world. The slow winding-down clockwork motions before life stops completely. Time is slipping through our fingers.” 2 likes