Start by marking “Desperation / The Regulators: Box Set” as Want to Read:
Desperation / The Regulators: Box Set

Desperation / The Regulators: Box Set

Doppelband.

Desperation:
Das New Yorker Ehepaar Mary und Peter Jackson ist auf dem Highway 50 unterwegs, der verlassensten Fernstraße Amerikas, die durch eine trostlose und wüste Gegen führt. Eine Fahrt, die zu einem nicht enden wollenden Alptraum wird. Das Paar wird von einem mysteriösen Polizisten angehalten, der sie in das verlassene Bergarbeiterstädtchen Desperation
Published October 1st 1996 by Viking Adult (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Desperation / The Regulators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperation / The Regulators

Start your review of Desperation / The Regulators: Box Set
Renee
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Wow, I can't believe I'm giving a Stephen King novel three stars, but I am. Normally I love everything he writes, but this one...I'm not sure. The writing itself was, as always, excellent. I think where it fell apart for me is when it became all God-crazy. I understand the message, and for the most part I think it's a great one, but it came across as somewhat crazy-bible-thumper-pushing-religion-up-my-nose-like.

It's quite a long read too and I almost gave up in a couple of places. When they
Γιώργος Μπελαούρης
they should be read back to back
nothing special but a genious concept
Luciano
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the Regulators before reading Desperation and have to say that Desperation is the better of the two novels. They both are exceptional, but Desperation goes so much deeper into the psyche of the characters and the story in general is more layered and developed. The Regulators as good as it is, almost reads like a close to final draft. It lacks the depth and sophistication of Desperation.

One of the most amazing things about these two books is how King basically created a story out of
John Reeves
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought Desperation was better than The Regulators. Whereas I find both of the two stories to be 5 of 5 on the voting scale, I have to say that the boy who could talk to God was one of the most powerfully written characters, well other than John Coffee. I also found Johnny Marinville to be one of the most likable characters ever put on paper.
Megan
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Very strange pair of books but very enjoyable. Regulators by Bachman and Desperation by Stephen King are meant as a set, primarily because the cover art becomes on large picture when you place the book side by side. Also, both books have the same set of characters, except they have completely different roles and personalities from one story to another. Fascinating to read back to back.
Londa Barnes
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked these alot. I'm a fan of King/Bauchman anyway. He has a way with description of his characters. If I can't get into a book by the first few pages then I simply put it down but these were quite intriguing.
Ashley
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was graphic. That's what i liked about it. It kept you reading. It described everything very well. I think Stephen King is an amazing author.
Erik Dogoldogol
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took me a while but this is the first Stephen King book I have ever read. I really like the authors style of writing and use of vivid imagery. Its not quite as gory as his movies but I still liked it. I don't know if hes already made a movie out of this book but he should, I think it would make a good movie. The story line was very creative as well. I would hate to be in the situation the characters were in. It was kind of strange how at the end he got religion in the mix with all this, but ...more
Jayne
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
As with many of Stephen King's novels, "I liked it" is not a good statement to describe the emotions he evokes. They are not comfortable reads, and so not exactly enjoyable. Perhaps compelling would be a better description.

There was a certain amount of disgust, and yet I kept reading. There was disdain and disbelief that people would behave so poorly with one another in a time of crisis, and yet I kept reading. Not only did I keep reading but I have reread this story. Huh.

Sign of a good
Garrett DeVoe
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Desperation by Stephen King is a novel that will keep you in suspense wanting to read more. Each scene you will read will make you want to keep reading to uncover the dark secrets that the story will eventually uncover. The story starts off instantly without any delay. You are quickly introduced to the main antagonist of the book along with one of the main characters. You are quickly met with suspense as the first seen alone will want to make you read more.
The characters introduced in the novel
J Crossley
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the “mirror” novel of The Regulators. The Regulators and Desperation represent parallel universes.Some characters appear in both novels, but in different circumstances.

The sheriff is possessed by Tak, an evil spirit released when a mineshaft in which he is imprisoned is opened. Tak requires a host, and takes possession of different people. The body of the novel deals with the possession of the sheriff Entragian who imprisons people. When he arrests people he gives a Miranda in which he
Alexa N.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stephan King is a mastermind when it comes to fully describing a character and their schemes. This book speaks for itself with its fast going, unexpected turns; and dysfunctional characters! “You have the right to remain silent," the big cop said in his robot's voice. "If you do not choose to remain silent, anything you say may be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. I'm going to kill you. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you ...more
Hunter Ross
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a massive book. It took me awhile to get into the story and characters, but by about page 200 I was hooked. Interesting twist on good vs evil, personal choices and an interesting setting for the story. If you like King, you will like this book.
Urthwild Darkness Beckons
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually liked the fact that he used the same characters in both books but gave them different motivations and relationships with each other. Not a recent read, hence this very short review.
Angela Summers
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
thriller to the end. excellent parerell
worlds. i did keep mixing up characters in my head for i read both books back to back.
Michaela Osborne
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So amazing and wonderfully horrific. Loved it.
Isabel Yadira
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i love it
Brian
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Classic, awesome King storytelling. It was written in the mid-1990s, so it is a bit of a cool time-capsule at this point too.
Rebekahsbooks
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I had never read a Stephen King book before. I knew they were creepy, but still did not know what to expect. Still not sure what I think...it was creepy.
Judith
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Stephen King book.
Amelia Smith
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Both imaginative thrillers...
Bryon Cahill
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I still need to read The Regulators... but here is my two cents on Desperation.

In all of King's books, there are major overlying themes. He is an author who gets some great kicks off by connecting his storylines and mingling characters throughout his eclectic resume. It hardly ever ceases to enrich his singular stories as a whole. And "Desperation" is no exception.

I'd like to say (with feeble fan-based authority) that King's main message to the world, the philosophy he continues to return to, is
Katrina Swain
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I recently came across this book this past year, being a Stephen King fan it came as quite a surprise to me that i haven't heard much about this one. Although i asked some of my peers about it they had no idea as to what i was talking about; so i gave it a read.

This definitely was NOT one of his better books, but i found it quite interesting and came as a shock to me. It was a story about several people travelling, who all had come across the desolated Highway 50 in Nevada. All being abducted
Matt Friedman
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
These were the first Stephen King novels I've read in a number of years; I'd been fascinated with the idea of a pair of novels in alternate universes when it had first come out. I thought Desperation was a gem of a novel, as gruesome and at times as vulgar as much of what King writes, but in this case, an spiritual subtext the likes of which I've not seen since The Stand, which can be regarded as literature. There was a beauty there I had not expected, but which made it so much more than just ...more
Kathy
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
For e, this was not my favorite read of SK, and I have been a fan and reader of most things his since my first book, "Cujo". It scared the daylights out of me waaay back then and I was forever hooked on all things Steven King. Along the way, I have loved many, been disappointed in some, but his earlier writings for me, were his best.
This book just did not hit the mark with me, seemed the more I read, the less happy I was with it. This is a book that most SK fans would dive into and not stop
Meigan
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Really entertaining and a good, creepy storyline. I liked the characters, and I liked how some of the characters from Rose Madder "crossed over" into this one. Cynthia Smith, Anna Stevenson, and the Daughters and Sisters Shelter were mentioned. Cynthia played a much bigger role in this book than she did in Rose Madder. But let's not get confused - the 2 books aren't related plot-wise.

And as I've added on my review for "The Regulators", make sure you put enough time between reading both
Bubba61909
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, I finally finished these books. I thought the first one was an awesome storyline, for the shear fact that it was through a kids eyes. I didn't really like the authors writing style...but it was a great story none the less. The second book was a lot more gripping but I can see why people might have a problem with the storyline. Having something remotely to do with God but I understand. I thought it was a great book and would recommend these two to anyone. Personally I think that you can ...more
M. Joseph Murphy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-box-set
This is some of King's best work. It also highlights he is a master writer. Using the same characters in different, parallel universes he writes in two completely different "voices." Desperation (written as Stephen King) is more "literary" (with subtext and all those things "serious" writers are supposed to put it. The Regulators is pure pulp and written as Richard Bachman.

Words cannot describe how much I love these two books.
Maegan
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I honestly can't explain why these books have stayed with me so long or why they impacted me. I read them in my early high school years, maybe even middle school, and they have stuck with me. I vividly remember music that I was listening to while reading these books (an album by Poe) and how masterfully they fit into the scenarios in the books themselves. Strange, but there are few books I would read twice, and these are definitely 2 of them.
Elizabeth  Lopez
Jul 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I find Stephen King books rather hard to read and to get started. This one seemed to flow much easier and was able to make it to the end. Most of the time I just watch his movies. But this book really kept me going on the idea of good vs. evil and wich one would previel over the other in the end. This book was not a win win situation but one of that both sides won for the time being.
« previous 1 3 next »
What's the Name o...: A book that starts with "The D..." [s] 5 54 Oct 18, 2012 06:23PM

• The Regulators
  • My Dark Places
  • Snuff
  • Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing
  • The Gnostic Gospels
  • Symbiont (Parasitology, #2)
  • Perfect Victim: The True Story of "The Girl in the Box"
  • Chimera (Parasitology, #3)
  • Carnal Surgery
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Midnight's Lair
  • The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice: The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case
  • The Cellar
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more