Start by marking “The Case of the Dead Dowager (Michaela McPherson #2)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Dead Dowager (Michaela McPherson #2)

The Case of the Dead Dowager

(Michaela McPherson #2)

Retired homicide detective Michaela McPherson and the aging Countess Dorothy Borghase team up again—this time to match wits with two serial killers stalking children, women and the elderly.
When Dottie Borghase's friend Camilla Rothrock collapses at a lunch gathering of old friends, the countess's only concern is to dial 911 for help. But Camilla's subsequent death has aut
Published December 2nd 2016 by Bluestone Valley Publishing Company (first published October 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Dead Dowager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Dead Dowager

Start your review of The Case of the Dead Dowager (Michaela McPherson #2)
RO G'ma
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book
The Case of the Dead Dowager is the second book in Judith Lucci’s Michaela McPherson Crime Thrillers series and is an intricately woven tale with lots of action and suspense. Ms. Lucci is very talented in creating suspense and tension with her written words. This book is a fast-paced page-turner and kept me engaged from the beginning of the book until the end. I highly recommend this book those who enjoy reading books in the mystery, thriller, and suspense genre.

Countess Dorothy (Dot
M
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Why Only 1 Star? I Have Good Reasons

I had high hopes for this new-to-me author, because of the 4-5 Star reviews on Amazon and Good Reads. However, I did wonder about one Good Read member’s 1 star rating, but there was no accompanying review.
Chapter 1 features two characters interacting: ‘“Perfecto, this stuff looks flawless,” Boris said in his thickly accented voice . . .”’ Here’s his description from first few pages: tall, pale, skeletal, bald, he smokes, has a crushed-in skull, thin lips and
Inge-Lise Goss
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Great Mystery!

Dottie, Countess Dorothy Borghase, is having lunch with friends when suddenly Camilla, one of her dear friends, collapses. It is assumed she had a heart attack, but the Countess has her doubts and immediately calls Michaela. Before the day ends, Dottie’s suspicion is confirmed, Camilla was poisoned. The plot thickens when more poisoned victims emerge. Michaela and Dottie swing into action searching for the culprits.

This story has it all—dangerous, ruthless villains that hate each
Jennifer Theriot
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying, I'm a die hard fan of Judith Lucci and have devoured all of her titles. This one does not disappoint! In this page turner, we are met with a case of domestic terrorism - or is it? People are dropping like flies at restaurants, festivals and the MO is poisoning. But what it this lethal concoction and who is doing this?
The story begins with the death of Camilla Rothrock, while lunching with her gal friends. Who would do this to a little old lady? Lucci has crafted a conspir
Charles Miller
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Could This Happen?

This is the second Judith Lucci book I have read since I met the author at Massanutten Resort in August,2017. Since I live near Richmond, it almost feels like home. The plot is terrifying,and one hopes it never happens for real. Hard to put this down once the situation has been established. Looks as if this was a dictated manuscript as there are a number of errors and omissions that do not affect the reading experience. The proof readers could have been better. I think you'll e
C. Coleman
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a nice story of gruesome crimes but there is no mystery and I wouldn't call it suspenseful either. The reader can figure out most of it long before things happen. Particularly annoying is the same scratching the dog behind the ear in every single chapter. Yes, the dog's relationship with the main characters is crucial but it's repeated over and over are the platitudes Michaela and Dottie slather each other with. Those endearing observations are 'told' with common phrases rather than shown a ...more
Bernard Holler
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting thriller of serial killers poisoning for the fun of it...

Serial killers Snake and Boris have been testing poisons on women, children and elderly people. Each poison seems to do the job quicker and kill more people. After Dottie's friend is poisoned, she, Michaela, Mic's dog Angel and Detective Slade, along with the FBI, and officials try to stop the serial killers before they pull off hitting their targets.
Sandy Adams
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable story.

I would like to rate this book 3.5 stars although not all a fault of the author. There were several repetitive sections and typos....I don't need to know Mic and Slate had a"thing" but "don't want to go there" stated more than one time. Overall entertaining but not as absorbing as it could have been.
C.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really get some great hours of reading from Judith Lucci and this just added to it. I loved the interaction between the characters and Ms. Lucci's writing just brings them to life. The plot is frightening and all so possible in today's world. If you like strong women and dogs (who doesn't) you'll love this book. Add a small touch of humor and you've got a winner.
Ciara Deann
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book!

I haven't enjoyed reading this much in a long time. Judith is a master storyteller who weaves characters and plot magically together. I love that she moved some of her characters from her other series into this book. Be prepared to read into the night ... This book is hard to put down.
Jane Chittenden
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Olgabridge
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thought I would enjoy a light crime novel however I dislike books that do not wrap the story up nice and tight or explain how Snake got away - I realise that another story can be written including a very good adversary but that’s no excuse. I have another three books by this author to try but they have been moved to the bottom of the pile.
Joan
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mic

Mic is a retired cop with a great trained dog. They find themselves in the middle of a horrible crime where someone is poisoning people in Richmond,Va. So far they have killed over seven hundred people Mic her dog must help catch the person or persons who are doing this! It almost caused the death of both of them.
Jean Perry
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining read

I would rate this 31/2 stars. I like the characters, the story was compelling. I like that the dog plays an important role. I’m a realist, so I did question some scenarios, but I do that in the majority of books I read. I would read more of the series.
Jennie Ersari
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling book!

Michaela gets involved in a case where someone is poisoning people. First victim is a good friend of the Countess, then some young women and a bunch of children. Can Michaela find them before more are killed?
Lou Ann
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book that would have been a 4....

without grammatical and spelling errors. There was also a repeated paragraph that annoyed me because it had no change. The plot line was awesome and the characters rang true.
Diane E
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific thriller

Terrorism in Richmond , VA . Poison is being used to kill people , old, young and children . Who , what and why? Mic is threatened . Angel and the Countess are injured . Not a good thing at all.
A couple of typos and a repetitive paragraph . Still worth reading . Ms Lucci has a keen imagination .
Susan Schnackenberg
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story was well plotted

Combining of multiple stories from the authors' portfolio is always a challenge...This pairing was especially intriguing. Hope there will be many more in the future.
Teresa A. Corbitt
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrorism

The countess and Michaela start by investigating a octogenarian friend who is at lunch with the countless and is poisoned. They have to stop these evil people before there are many more are murdered, but they almost lose their lives in the process as well as angel.
P.S. Winn
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two serial killers are on the loose. Michaela McPherson Countess Dorothy Borghas join forces. Michaela and Dottie need help from the Richmond Police and the FBI as the mystery unravels. This is a well written, interesting book that fans of mystery and thrillers will enjoy.
Janet
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
very good
Sherry Baer
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cliffhanger

The plot was interesting, the characters were well drawn and entertaining, and the plot development left one anticipating the next book in the series.
Patricia Haas
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

If you like suspense, you'll love this book. Hard to put down, well written, kept me thinking and an easy read.
Cindy
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting plot with lotsa twists. When I get tired of the gore, sex (called romance), profanity this one of my stand-by read-again books. Like the characters and
(so far) the plots. Recommended.
barbara evans
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On to the next book

I find a book I enjoyed and I immediately read the whole series. This is another I just have to to follow.
Lori
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Judith Lucci books. The characters are so likable & story was compelling. ...more
Phyllis
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Intreging Novel.

I found this a .Most interesting novel. The characters were interesting. The plot moves along nicely. I also found the Characters were movated.
Jan Stanton
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-reading
This was just a fun murder mystery!!!
Margaret W. Jones
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death, Puzzles, Suspense

One of those books you start and finish in one session. Well written, excellent plot and human nature at its worst and best.
Jennifer  Peters
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A few grammatical errors But all in all a great book and premise

• The Imposter (Alex Destephano)
  • The Anatomy Lesson: A Kurtz and Barent Mystery (Kurtz and Barent Mysteries Book 2)
  • A Honeybun and Coffee (Honeybun Heat #1)
  • A Tango Before Dying (Georgie Shaw #7)
  • The Gamma Sequence (The Gamma Sequence #1)
  • Surgical Risk: A Kurtz and Barent Mystery (Kurtz and Barent Mysteries Book 1)
  • Brighton Beach: A Kurtz and Barent Mystery (Kurtz and Barent Mysteries Book 5)
  • It Ends Here (Rebekka Franck #10)
  • Tear Down and Die (Cara Mia Delgatto Mystery, #1)
  • Snow Can Be Deadly (Sage Gardens #10)
  • Mildred in Disguise with Diamonds (Mildred Unchained #1)
  • Drive Thru Murder (The New Orleans Go Cup Chronicles #3)
  • Corruption in the O.R. (The Outlander Physician #1)
  • A Dead Sister (Jessica Huntington, #2)
  • A Dead Cousin (Jessica Huntington #5)
  • Girl Next Door (Jack Ryder #5)
  • The Missing Sister
  • A Buried Past (Jacqueline Frye #1)
Dr. Judith Lucci is an Amazon bestselling author who writes what she knows. She is the author of the Alex Destephano Medical Thriller Series and the soon to be released Michaela McPherson, Private Eye, a series centered on a retired homicide detective from Richmond, Virginia who really can’t retire.

“Before I wrote fiction, I was an academic writer who published research, theoretical works, text bo

Michaela McPherson (5 books)
  • The Case of Dr. Dude (Michaela McPherson #1)
  • The Case of the Man Overboard (Michaela McPherson #3)
  • The Case of the Very Dead Lawyer (Michaela McPherson #4)
  • The Case of the Missing Parts (Michaela McPherson #5)