Start by marking “Delphinsommer” as Want to Read:
Delphinsommer

Patti Callahan Henry

Delphinsommer

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  1,105 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Ein Kästchen mit geschnitzten Delphinen weckt in Meridy längst vergessene Erinenrungen an ihre erste Liebe. Damals, mit 16 Jahren, verbrachte sie unbeschwerte Sommer am Meer. Doch auch die Erinnerungen an eine schrecklicheKatastrophe und ein lang gehütetes Geheimnis kehren zurück. Meridy, die inzwischen mitten im Leben steht, begibt sich gemeinsam mit ihrer Jugendliebe auf ...more
Published (first published May 3rd 2005)

Linda
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the graduation party, Meridy Dresden lit the firecracker that landed on the roof of a historical structure causing it to catch fire. Her boyfriend Danny Garrett ran into the structure to save his friends not knowing that they had already escaped. He died while jumping from the roof but his body was washed out to sea and not found until several days later. Meridy never admitted to causing the fire and this has eaten at her for many years. Now it is time to set it right and admit her mistake.

S
Vickie
I adore Patti Callahan Henry's books and writing style. I feel as if I am floating along in a canoe, relaxing with just a few wonky currents along the way.

Where the River Runs's main character, Meridy Dresden, appears to have it all. However, she begins to question whether or not she has lost a part of herself. Her return to her childhood hometown allows her to begin the journey back to finding out who she is. I enjoyed learning more of the Gullah culture as well.

Go Cards! L1C4!!

Leann
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants to have a beach read
"Where the River Runs" was vividly wonderful to read. I felt like I was part of the book. I love the southern historic aspects of the story and how all the characters have a coming of age moment during the story. Meridy is this girl that grew up living life to the fullest and then tragedy happens in her life. Because of this tragedy, she molds herself to be a person that she later realizes she can be no longer.

She learns through supporting characters in the book that she was not the fault of the
Susan O'Bryant
Where the River Runs is a story of a "perfect" woman from a "perfect" family who, after building a model life in Atlanta, returns to her hometown of Seaboro, South Carolina to come to grips with her history and rekindle the spirit of the lively girl she used to be.

Meridy McFadden Dresden had tamped down memories of her first love until her mother calls with news that makes her remember. Guilt compels her to go home and try to make things right. With family dynamics galore, dear friends, and a wo
Mary
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story concerns a woman who returns to her childhood home in the Low Country of South Carolina to do research and write curriculum on the Gullah culture. While there she confronts some secrets from her past and realizes her forgotten dreams. Most chapters begin with a Gullah proverb. Even though it has a similar theme to the last book I read by this author, I think it has an interesting plot and explores some complex relationships.
Moey17
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this, heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time! I think everyone has felt like Meridy at times in their life, like they lost part of themselves and need to find it again, her journey was inspiringly sweet. Loved the pace, the surprising moments of humor, and the feel of the lowcountry the author put in with each word, just a really charming read!
Mary
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast read on a day off school. This story is set in the lowcountry of So. Carolina, with some history and cultural insight of the Gullah, told by an old housekeeper. The story is about a woman who goes back to her childhood home to rediscover who she really is and where people in her life fit. I liked Henry's writing.
Barbara White
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is only my second Patti Callahan Henry, and I am thrilled to discover her work. I consumed this novel in two days. I loved the characters, I loved the plot, but most of all I loved the wonderful writing. Her descriptions are mouthwateringly good. I could hear, see, feel the water. Can't wait to read everything else she's written!
Mary L
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patti Callahan Henry is my favorite author. I find myself, if just a bit, in each and every character she crafts with her writing. I am invariably drawn in immediately to her writing, and stay to the very end, always wanting more. This book is no exception. I have learned so much about myself from reading Meridy's story. It is one you should not miss.
Jeannie Scheirman
I love the way this author uses the South Carolina as her setting. In this novel, she explains alot about the Gullah culture through the main character, Meridy's, search to learn about her life. I can't wait to read her next book!
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Sweetgrass
  • Bound South
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)
  • Drenched in Light (Tending Roses #4)
  • Bulls Island
  • Summer in the South
  • Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch (Queen Bee Series, #1)
  • Savannah from Savannah
  • Islands
  • Folly
207337
Patti Callahan Henry is the New York Times Bestelling novelist of eleven novels. Her latest is THE BOOKSHOP AT WATER'S END with Penguin Random House/Berkley

More about Patti Callahan Henry...
“You need to take care of the root in order to heal the tree. - Gullah Proverb” 8 likes
“Maybe I'd ignored longing so many times through the years until eventually I'd just stopped feeling it.” 4 likes