Start by marking “Communication Failure” as Want to Read:
Communication Failure

Communication Failure

(Epic Failure #2)

In this sequel to Mechanical Failure, Captain Rogers, despite his best attempts to do otherwise, has become the acting admiral of the 331st Meridan fleet. His first task: worrying. A lot.

The rival Thelicosan fleet, under the influence of bad intelligence, a forbidden romance, and a communication officer with an eardrum injury, is about to break a two-hundred-year-old nonag
Published November 7th 2017 by Gallery / Saga Press (first published June 27th 2017)

Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/11/27/...

As much as I love reading military sci-fi and space opera, sometimes I just need a break from the routineness of weighty political dramas and grim space battles. Enter Joe Zieja’s Epic Failure series. Communication Failure is the second book, following the adventures of former smuggler Captain Rogers who despite his best efforts to get kicked out of the military has found himself promoted to acting admiral of the 331st Mer
Rebecca
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Audible screwed up and let me download this book a month early, and I am so glad it did! Communication Failure was just as laugh out loud funny as Mechanical Failure, but with a slightly more mature Rogers this time (especially by the end). There are still some groan-worthy jokes, and I wasn't a huge fan of Quinn's POV, but Deet gets his own POV in this one, and Rogers not only gets punched in the face a lot (yay Viking!), he also gets kicked in the face. And let's be honest, if anyone deserves ...more
John
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A little slow to get going, but picks up nicely as the climax approaches. Not “Pratchett in space,” as a blurb has it, but properly riotous in spots.

And, lots of choice lines, as before. Here be some:

Admiral Klein certainly hadn’t been honest. He’d spent his entire career hiding the fact that he was a moron.

Thelicosans were known for picking up stranded enemy pilots and using them as thought experiments for advanced mathematical concepts, which drove most of them insane and turned the rest of th
Hobart
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
So, Captain Rogers has escaped with his life after saving the 331st Meridian Fleet from a takeover from almost all the droids on board, now he's been made acting admiral and is faced with a potentially bigger threat: the Thelicosan fleet -- the very fleet that Rogers' ships are to keep on their side of the border -- has informed him that they are about to invade. Given the size of the fleets facing off, this is an invasion that will not go
Scott Bell
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspend. All. Belief. If you can do that, and keep from excessive eye-rolling at the excessively excessive humor, you'll like this. I enjoyed the read, even though I felt the author tried too hard (as in the first book) to set up jokes rather than stick to a coherent story. The hero is screw-up, his side-kick is a (maybe) self-aware android, and his lady-love punches him the face. Frequently. McHale's Navy...in space.
What's not to love?
Craig Parker
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because Mechanical Failure was a) a good start with a nicely balanced cliffhanger b) because I like the authors audiobook performance and c) because I fancied something a little light for the new year.

It delivers in a lot of the same ways the first book did, funny, well written, interesting if not always 100% original, and fast paced enough so that it never really stagnates or gets too boring/repetitive with the humour.

Having read (well, listened) to these first two books in
Kes
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, fiction
This didn't feel as good as the previous book (I wasn't that into the relationships going on) but it was still fun to read.

We left Rogers staring at a notice from the Thelicosan saying "we're invading". It then transpires that this was a clerical error - Grand Marshal Alandra Keffoule had said "we're inviting you to a discussion aboard a neutral trade-ship", but her communications crew had misheard her.

So now we're launched into a lot of hijinks, as both commanders attempt to de-escalate without
Vinay Badri
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Continuing in the vein of book 1, Communication Failure ups the ante a fair bit and the entertainment factor as well. For a book on the absurdity of the military, this isnt grimly cynical or has black humor. Its noticeably fast paced and put our lead character Rogers in quite the pickle given the possibility of an impending invasion, which may or may not take place due to, well, communication failure (and general deafness)

While the previous book dealt a fair bit with murderous droids, this one d
Stephanie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book, Mechanical Failure, so I picked up the next in the series.

This one struggled to get off the ground by eventually the plot gained some momentum and I started enjoying it. I almost put it down at the beginning, and I'm glad I didn't. Honestly they could have cut out a third of the setup and it would have been fine.

It was pretty funny (which is why I liked Mechanical Failure), but played around with real-world team interactions, emergency response, and well, commun
D.L. Morrese
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
With the threat of killer robots averted, Captain Rogers is now the reluctant and nowhere near qualified acting admiral of a Meridan space fleet. When a Thelicosan fleet arrives and announces they are invading, he's caught unprepared. Fortunately, so are the math-loving Thelicosans. But someone is eager for war, and someone is eager for love, and Rogers is eager for a drink and a way to avoid all this responsibility. It gets almost too silly at times, but there is an enjoyable story here with en ...more
Catherine Cole
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love humor. Book 2 of Epic Failure holds up to the first, which is hard for sequels to do. It mixes mathematics, philosophy, psychology, and military strategy, with clever humor, stand-up comedy, and slapstick.
There is no lack of problems for Captain Rogers and the Meridan Fleet. Recovering from the Viking's displays of murderous rage/affection is only one of them. Meet new characters, and discover a plot to take over the galaxy. Also, get ready to laugh.
Cheryl
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, sci-fi
This book is just fun and wacky. If you enjoy Terry Pratchett or Spaceballs or Red Dwarf or Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, then this book is for you. The story was interesting and it made me laugh. This book is the second in a trilogy and I can’t wait for the third book to be released. It’s so nice to read quirky, light, sci if books once and awhile. Especially, liked the philosophical droid Deet, who wants to be human.
xdroot
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The book takes a while to get going. I hoped that the author would resolve some of the kinks in his writing style with his second effort but, unfortunately, did not. He leans a bit too much on slapstick. However, there are genuine laugh-out-loud moments and the characters are quirky enough to keep me reading.
Cheyenne
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. I loved the first one - it was loaded with humor that mostly originated from all of the characters incompetence. This one seems to skip over character development and replaces it with punching and kicking. It felt very short, too.

I’ll still be picking up the next one and this one was a decent weekend read.
Kathy
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More satirical military SF! No, it still isn't going to pass the Bechdel Test any better than the first one, but that's not the point. The point is the madness. Think Monty Python doing a military skit, but not British.
Scott - Book Invasion
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Mix parts Futurama, Hitchhikers Guide, and all the deliciously humorous space stories and you have what Joe Zieja has done (for the second time) tremendously well.

This is a great, funny read for that sci-fi fanboy to giggle over.
Harrohinge
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is even better than the last, and just as funny! If you haven’t read this book or the last one let me tell you, YOU ARE MISSING OUT! Absolutely hilarious and a great story where almost anything could happen.
Ian H
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up to his first novel.
Jeff
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A farce... in space. There are times when it takes its own plot too seriously, but it does manage to catch its stride about halfway through the book. I'd read the 3rd when it comes out.
Kathy
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another fun read that moves the story forward. I'll be picking up book 3 when it is available.
Dantegideon
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sagged in the middle this time. Enjoyed the Sun Tzu Jr jokes.
Eric
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review in work...
David Henderson
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and it was enjoyable! If you're here for a good laugh, read this one!
Matthew
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a bit since the first book, so I was a little lost at first. One of the things I was lost about for awhile was why I gave the first book a 4 star rating. Well, after Communication Failure really got going, I realized why. This book and series are just full of genuine, laugh out loud moments.

Communication Failure starts out where Mechanical Failure left off. Our less than intrepid protagonist is stuck dealing with a military stand-off that could respark the greatest war ever fought. To
Heather
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It wasn't as good as the first one but it was still pretty funny and an easy read.
David
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cadl, scifi
Really enjoyed the bureaucratic non-sense and mixups. Great sense of humor. Hoping for more in the series.
Jayson Barker
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first book in the series. I cannot wait for the third.
Andrew
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review at The Quill to Live!

Nicole
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at Thoughts Stained With Ink:

Warning: watch out for [EXPLETIVE] spoilers (even if they’re minor).

After devouring Mechanical Failure by Joe Zieja last year, this was the book that I’ve been waiting to come out, i.e., my most anticipated read of 2017. It felt like it took an eternity to actually come out and even though I get that publishing is a slow business, I was impatient.

I wanted to know what happened next. I wanted to see how Captain Rogers was going to handle being acti
Jon
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, humor, scifi
Hilarious follow up, very much Pratchett's Night Watch in space.

• Engines of Empathy
  • Extracurricular Activities (The Machineries of Empire)
  • Kangaroo Too (Kangaroo, #2)
  • The Man in the Tree
  • Humans Wanted
  • Terminal Alliance
  • From Darkest Skies (From Darkest Skies #1)
  • Empress of Eternity
  • Ironclads
  • Galactic Empires
  • Deadpool by Daniel Way: The Complete Collection, Volume 2
  • Bête
  • Phantom Pains (The Arcadia Project, #2)
  • Little Critter: Just a Snowy Day
  • Delta-V
  • Dark Run (Keiko, #1)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Drop the Ball
  • Europe at Midnight
Joe Zieja is an author with a long history of doing things that have almost nothing to do with writing at all. A graduate of the United States Air Force Academy, Joe dedicated over a decade of his life to wearing The Uniform, marching around in circles and shouting commands at people while in turn having commands shouted at him. It was both a great deal of fun and a great nuisance, and he wouldn’t ...more

Epic Failure (2 books)
  • Mechanical Failure (Epic Failure, #1)
“Popcorn is a miracle of physics, thermodynamics, and nature,” Keffoule said. “The kernels are like snowflakes in that each is unique, and therefore special, but they were formed by such an exact process that it could have been no other way.” 0 likes
“Shit,” came a voice from behind him. “I didn’t know we were meeting in New Jersey.” 0 likes