Start by marking “Map of Days” as Want to Read:
Map of Days

Map of Days

Richard can’t stop thinking about the clock. He lies in bed each night listening to its tick-tocking, to the pendulum’s heavy swing. Why does his granddad open its old doors in secret and walk into the darkness beyond? One night, too inquisitive to sleep, Richard tiptoes from his bed, opens the cherry wood doors, and steps inside . . .
Published March 28th 2017 by Nobrow Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Map of Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Map of Days

Veena Ganesh
A bad story, beautifully drawn. Honestly, if you could just delete all the words and reprint, I might like that version.
David Schaafsma
This is a gorgeous art object; by that I mean the book itself, designed and produced by Nobrow Press, showcasing the considerable talent of Hunter. There's a boy in the story, Richard, who is obsessed with clocks, and the environment, and the art is that obsessively meticulous. At one point he enters another sort of parallel world through his grandfather's clock, where he discovers the face of the Earth and develops a relationship with it. This fantasy element is sort of magical and ethereal. It ...more
Katariina Kottonen
This is a singularly beautiful book with a robotic voice.

The visuals are stunning in themselves, but the way they combine on a page or on a spread brought Watchmen to my mind. High praise, I know. It is especially the colour change depending whether it is day time or night (which is also crucial for the plot) that is drawn with great care and skill.

The images being the strong part of the book, the text narrative feels much weaker. It works well enough for prologue where unorthodox expressions pr
Nicola Mansfield
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting! If you are looking for a linear story though, this will not be the book for you. Overall, I'd call the story a myth. One of creation and the other of the tides. Meanwhile, in between, there is the story of a boy who visits his eccentric grandfather who lives with many Grandfather clocks and sneaks away inside one of them every now and then. The art is fantastic! It's full of patterns both geometric and floral and has many mandella-like designs. The colour schemes follow the suggesti ...more
Anthony
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
The art was nice, the story was just weird and meh. Always down to try and read something new and different though...
Jacob Wilson
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful artwork - which was clearly the focus, as the story takes a backseat and is not nearly as engaging as the drawings.
Deji
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visually, this is one of the most beautiful graphic novels I have ever read. The images are truly stunning and the design of the panels is inventive. In the layout alone, it reminded me of Alan Moore's Promethea series. Hunter is a talented fine artist of the highest variety.

However, the writing needed some work. I love mythological stories and I liked the premise of the story, but I often felt that the narration was not in sync with the images; sometimes the main character would realize or lea
Elliott Edwards
A very enjoyable book with a nice mythology. Certainly short, I read it in under 20 minutes and that was taking time to look at the stylised illustrations which really captures the light and movement of characters in a scene. Almost hypnotic concepts and very cinematic, could make a fantastic animated film with the same tone of The Snowman or The Boxtrolls.

Worth a read if you come across it and want a new contemporary myth told in an interesting and quick way.
Kim
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Most graphic novels with picture-book sensitivity make a mistake to explain everything in words & to merely illustrate the words. This work does not.
The Guardian's review of the work is well written. http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013...
Damian Brennan
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern take on origin stories. In a newly formed universe nine siblings called forth from the void cocoon themselves against the chaos of a newborn creation. One sibling proves to be more curious and sets the stage for life and humanity.

The artwork is simple in the best sense of the word. It adds to the story in ways that will make it hard to treat this book as a purely verbal experience. You need to look at the images, from which much of the meaning and impact of the story emerges. As an adul
Daisy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Quality Rating: Three Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Stars

This graphic novel as a lovely story, blending fairy tale and myth with modernistic illustrations and the tone of The Invention of Hugo Cabret meets something like Northern Lights and The Truman Show. But the writing is dense and hard to follow, you get lost in its maze as much as the characters' motivations seem to. While using the mythic style for its structure, it ends up painting one dimensional people as well, which leaves what could be
Victoria Maria
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This book is beautifully published. The experience alone of holding it in your hands is worth it. Robert Hunter has a very distinctive art style and you can immediately tell when you start reading this book. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous as is the coloring. I love his use of blue as highlights intermittently throughout this book. But again, like new ghost, this story left me wanting more. I think there is still another tale that can be told about the face and the sun.
Helen Leigh-Phippard
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jos M
Strange, surreal, obsessive graphic novel, about the love story between two created deities (I guess) in a grandfather clock and an ordinary boy who intervenes (view spoiler)
Lynn
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young man visits his grandfather every Summer and one season his curiosity leads him to steal the key to his grandfather's clocks, which he synchronizes each night. The boy discovers the face of the Earth. While observing the world inside the clocks, he discovers that the Face of the Earth control the water as well as land. An I interesting journey best taken through the book's artwork.
Gratsiela Borisova
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is absolutely fantastical! The illustrations are so aesthetically pleasing I could look at them for hours. I'm sure I'll read the book again and again and again and reach for it when I need inspiration for drawing, compositions, and most importantly - colour combinations.
I think artists and designers will highly appreciate this graphic novel.
Reverence to the artist.
brightredglow
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't honestly say that I understand this book. I've viewed it so many times since receiving it and it is still an enigma to me. That said, it is so beautiful to look that I can forgive its inscrutability.
Georgia
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel is pure magic.I loved everything about it. The story, the colors, the end! Oh the colors, such beautiful pallet. Instantly one of my favorites. i think i love everything Rob Hunter does!
Meg
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully strange, beautifully illustrated book that I read in one sitting
Elisabet
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the art is pretty and inspiring, but the story didn't catch me.
Shawn M.
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous art with a poetic story involved. Quite a relaxing read, shelve it with your coffee table books.
Dantanian
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and unusual, like so many of the NoBrow books.
Cat
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty surreal story. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it will be for everyone. Love the illustrations, very well done.
I received a Kindle ARC courtesy of Edelweiss in exchange for a fair review.
Amanda Schutz
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so beautiful.
Kerry
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Graphic novel with a strange, hard-to-follow story about a guy who's grandfather is obsessed with clocks and a mystical story about what lies inside them. Interesting drawings, but too odd for me.
Otto Silver
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting and elegant "creation" story with beautiful and equally elegant artwork. I might read this again soon because it it so light and soothing.
Kenny Oravetz
While beautifully illustrated, this potentially insightful tale of discovery, creation, and tradition is undermined by truly redundant and often blase textual storytelling.
Freddy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are vibrant and eye catching and the story feels timeless. A fable woven from the beginning of time to tell the story of an adolescent that regretted his juvenile mischief.
Anne
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept and vibrant art
Olivia
Interesting artwork, but the story really needs more work (honestly felt like a robot was narrating).

• Dockwood
  • The Desert Places
  • Pachyderme
  • Capacity
  • Beauty
  • A Graphic Cosmogony
  • The Freak Brothers Omnibus: Every Freak Brothers Story Rolled Into One Bumper Package
  • The City: A Vision in Woodcuts