Start by marking “The General's Niece: The Little-Known de Gaulle Who Fought to Free Occupied France” as Want to Read:

“My dear Uncle Charles,” twenty-two-year-old Genevieve de Gaulle wrote on May 6, 1943. “Maybe you have already heard about the different events affecting the family.” The general’s brother Pierre had been taken by the Gestapo; his brother Xavier, Genevieve’s father, had escaped to Switzerland. Genevieve asked her uncle where she could be most useful—France? England? A Fren ...more
Published June 1st 2017 by Chicago Review Press

To ask other readers questions about The General's Niece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The General's Niece

Start your review of The General's Niece: The Little-Known de Gaulle Who Fought to Free Occupied France
Michelle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author did so much personal research in the writing of this book, and it really shows in the narrative. Rather than just facts and foot notes, it has a flowing tone that reads like a novel. It helps that Genevieve de Gaulle had such a life story to tell! From her brave work with the Resistance during the Nazi occupation of France, to the horrors she lived through in Ravensbruck concentration camp and all of the wonderful work she did afterward for women and the poor of France. de Gaulle was ...more
Katie Newingham
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bowers brings Genevieve De Gaulle to life as a relatable heroine who has hopes and dreams of family but puts them aside, risking her comfort and her life, for her country. She is aware of her privilege of name and education and knows she must act because she can, though it's her faith that enables her to move. Her place in life becomes her vehicle to resist the Nazi regime in France.

The urgency of Genevieve's plight is felt by the reader, as well as her genuine love for others. Bowers is master
Elizabeth Rynecki
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the General's Niece by Paige Bowers. It's the story of Genevieve de Gaulle Anthonioz, the niece to Charles de Gaulle, and her experiences as a French resistance fighter and her time spent interned at Ravensbrück, the German Nazi concentration camp exclusively for women. Bowers tells the story with clarity and gives readers important insight into her subject's life and passion for France, justice, and humanity.
Diana Skelton
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too little attention has been paid to the young women who risked their lives in the World War II Resistance. This book shines a spotlight on one such determined and inspiring person.
Carolyn Porter
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While the DeGaulle name is well known, I'll confess I had never heard of Genevieve before picking up this enlightening book. What bravery she showed at a young age, and what compassion and tenacity she showed throughout her life. I am so glad to have learned about the life and service of Genevieve DeGaulle!
Alison Law
Listen to my interview with Paige Bowers in Episode 5 of the Literary Atlanta podcast, released August 31, 2017. ...more
WendyLikesBooks
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books-read
The General's Niece taught me an incredible amount of knowledge about Genevieve de Gaulle and her uncle, Charles de Gaulle. It's obvious how much work, time and effort Paige Bowers put into this amazing account of Genevieve.

The admirable qualities I found in Genevieve, based on this book, were her tenacity, persistence and unbelievable ability to stay positive through rough times.

Her focus on fighting for her family and her country were heartbreaking at times. Beginning with plastering flyers ac
Becca-Rae Weidel
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
actual rating 3.5 stars
*I received a free copy of this book from a giveaway for an honest review*

This book reads very similar to a textbook. It makes sense after you read about the author's credentials as a journalist and the knowledge that she now works as a history professor. It's not a "bad" book but I would say it requires that the reader likes history and it being presented more as facts than a narrative. I personally really enjoy reading about history and found myself getting excited when
Dorothy
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read a book on Ravensbruck and it was horrific. This book, from the viewpoint of Genevieve De Gaulle was quite interesting and shows how much people risked in order to save France. I would have liked to hear more about the politics — how Gen De Gaulle left France and how he managed to keep the message going, but I really enjoyed this story on his niece. It spanned her early days, the resistance, her time at Ravensbruck and how she made an impact to others even after the war. Amazing woman.
Robyn
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delight! Any biography that isn't drier than toast is a triumph of the genre. She has a great writing style and a fascinating, if serious, subject.
Caroline Duffy
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this story about a real-life shero I had never heard about.
Kjbrack16
Oct 05, 2019
Leah Hughen
May 28, 2018
Paige Bowers
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Deb Ruth