Start by marking “Stillbright (The Paladin Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Stillbright (The Paladin Trilogy #2)

Stillbright

(The Paladin Trilogy #2)

The adventure continues... Ordained by an ancient goddess of mercy and light, former knight Allystaire Coldbourne has become a paladin, a hero out of legend. But evil stalks him, angry gods align against him, and greedy warlords want him dead. With the help of his friends, each blessed with extraordinary powers by the Goddess, Allystaire must escape the clutches of sorcere ...more
Published June 1st 2017 by Santa Fe Writer's Project

To ask other readers questions about Stillbright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stillbright

Fares
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was amazing, I don't know if it's the audiobook performed by Michael Kramer, who does most Sanderson books, but this book really was Sanderson-esque.
The fighting scenes where awesome.
But the thing is...
IT NEEDS A GOOD VILLAIN!
I mean the plot is good but to me it seems like just a bunch of guys trying to start a cult, how do they even know that they are following a right path, I mean sure they are saving people and not really forcing anyone to join but still, if there was a force of evil som
Dabarlow
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yesterday, with about 150 pages to go, I told a friend that I thought book #1 in the series was better. I couldn't put my finger on why, the first book just grabbed me in a way this one wasn't. But oh, then those last 150 pages. Wow. And now, book complete, I look back on the first 2/3 and realize how much I enjoyed it and how important the whole story was. A touch of political intrigue, several well defined villains and an increasingly deep look into the history of Allystaire Coldbourne. I will ...more
Curtis
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

There are a number of good authors that I will cheerfully recommend to anyone, and then there is that short list. The list where the grin falls, and an intensity begins, and it becomes less about reading, and more about experiencing. When that phrase “you *have* to read this” comes out. When comparisons to other “have to” authors appear: Jordon, Butcher, Brust, Rothfuss, Foster, Bujold.

When the story - the crafted words, the characters and their world combined - give you something fa
Jennifer Gottschalk
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Stillbright' is both spell-binding and enchanting.

Ford has created an engrossing fantasy novel that explores themes of good vs evil, destiny and freedom of choice. The writing style is effective making this book a very easy read - despite it's length.

Despite being the second in the series, this book works brilliantly as a stand-alone novel and the story is fast paced, relevant and entertaining. Ford has skillfully avoided the pitfalls so common in the second installment of trilogies and has cr
Kaela Mary-Katherine
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've never been sold on the Paladin as an archetype, at least as far as them being more than something on the "lawful" spectrum. So far this series has mitigated the predictability of the Paladin by giving him cooler companions, though everyone seems really nice to each other all the time, even when they're ribbing? The "Deus ex machina" aspects often make me feel like I'm reading with no risk, though. Wondering if the third book will keep me on my toes.

And really, you can't go wrong with Michae
mike gadbois
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book...

I really liked the book for several reasons. I appreciate the fact that the hero of the book isn't Superman. I like the fact that he lives in the world and experiences day to day things. To many times I read books where the nuts and bolts of every day living are glossed over.
Patrick Dare
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent continuation of the story. While the first book took a few chapters to get me hooked into the story, at the beginning of this one I am already invested in the characters and am actively rooting for them as I read. I cringe along with Allystaire when he does something he himself finds distasteful, I am excited when the outcome of a situation is good and I feel badly when the bad guys get the upper hand. I am definitely looking forward to the final act and know that I will be sad but ...more
David
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know that moment when you finish a book...and you go to get its sequel, and find out it's not coming out for another year? Yeah, I had one of those. It's not very often I'm honestly truly disappointed that I can't find out what happens next. It's not that I don't enjoy books, I do, but most of the time, I don't mind waiting for the next year.

This is not one of those times. No middle book syndrome here, no boring moments, I was riveted from start to finish (and a finish which, by the way, sur
Robert Forehand
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
You know that disappointing feeling when you finish a book by an author and after looking you find that there is nothing else for you to read by this person? That's exactly where I am with Daniel M. Ford having just finished the audio book version of Stillbright, the second book in his Paladin Trilogy during my evening commute.

First off, for audio book fans, the fantastic Michael Kramer does the narration for these books, which should tell you just how damn good it's going to be.

The best part o
Jennifer Lockhart
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic sequel to the first book. It fulfilled everything I had questions about in the first book but left many questions to be answered in the third book.
Michael Kramer does a fantastic job reading this on Audible and is really able to make the characters stand out with their own personalities. Daniel M Ford did a fantastic job writing this novel and I can't wait to read this next in the series
Tena
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won a copy of "Stillbright (The Paladin Trilogy #2)" by Daniel M. Ford in a GOODREADS giveaway!
Daniel
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic entry by Daniel M. Ford, absolutely thrilling me the entire time. I haven't been this excited about a book, audio or physical, in a very long time. Allystaire's companions share and find out more about one another, the feel of the world, magic, the gods, and the politics of the world and temples are more fleshed out.

Minor characters make forward steps and feel just as three dimensional as the main cast, and the story (Narrated by the excellent Michael Kramer,) had me shouting "
Pete Davis
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great follow up to Ordination (the first book)....in fact I like this book better I think. The overall pace of the book is great, and the battle scenes and magic are thrilling.

I love how Ford delves into new unexplored ideas for dwarfs. Dwarves have always been one of my favorite races in fantasy, and The Paladin Trilogy makes me love them even more.

I had initially rated this book at 4 stars, but I know I will read this book again in 3-4 years because I liked it so well - so I bumped it to 5 s
Rick Frady
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but.

This has been a good series thus far. Likeable good guys and despicable bad guys. Good story. A bit too much religious fanaticism for me though. Not a fan of that in real life nor fiction. I'll continue the series though just to find out what happens
Mike
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh........cliffhangers! Dammit Ford! Another excellent entry in this series. If you like heroic fantasy you should definitely give this a shot.
Liz
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just as wonderful as the first!
student james choi
Deeper than you think

Was expecting just escapism but was surprised by the depth if thought and pain author shares through characters. Try it.
Joshua Hammond
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of the first book, I’m looking forward to the next book and even more to further series from Ford.
Kevin O'Malley
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not as great as the first but still great.

Awesome fantasy story. Familiar tropes, but well executed, and never trite. Back to the mines, we all need book three.
Sand Bear
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Very interesting world and story
Nicholas Voyles
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carries on what book one does really well...it’s a shame it’ll be just a trilogy. I would like to spend more time with the characters. I look forward to book three.
Tomas K.
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The adventure continues exactly where it ended in the first book and just as with the first one, I was sucked in quite fast. Allystaire and his friends will need to use every single bit of their abilities to deal with the looming dangers as it seems that everyone wants them dead.
I was getting more thrilled with each page and can't wait for the next book.
L.Logan Boswell
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second of Trilogy

A well thought out and fast moving second installment of the trilogy. Still some loose ends to tie up. A couple of suprizes some of book somewhat predictable. But well written and entertaining.
William Hahn
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lives Up to the Billing

Daniel Ford's sequel Stillbright manages the trick of keeping true to the high level set by Ordination. The wealth of characters, the detailed world and the constant twists of plot made me feel like someone was keeping three dozen plates spinning at the same time. I didn't always like the arguments, but the pace never flagged and I read steadily right through to the end.
NotTheNorm
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
James
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
6/10
Terry O
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
read it in bits and yet I still have a long wait to the next book
Donald L. Koskelin
Jun 02, 2017
dave
Jun 05, 2017
Ted
Apr 08, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please separate these two books 4 199 Nov 29, 2016 05:50PM

• The Apostles of Doom
  • Jack of Thieves (The Master Thief #1)
  • Halls of Power (Ancient Dreams, #3)
  • Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • Shadows (Nightlord #2)
  • Chains of the Heretic (Bloodsounder's Arc, #3)
  • The Society of the Sword Trilogy
  • The Tiger's Fate (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #3)
  • Lady Henterman’s Wardrobe (The Streets of Maradaine, #2)
  • Grass for His Pillow, Episode 2: The Way Through the Snow (Tales of the Otori, #2 Ep. 2)
  • Torchship
  • Crusade (Aquasilva Trilogy #3)
  • A Faded Star
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • Rath's Reckoning (The Janus Group #3)
  • Lord Tophet (Shadowbridge, #2)
  • When the World Wounds
  • Messenger of the Dark Prophet (The Bowl of Souls #2)
Daniel M. Ford was born and raised near Baltimore, Maryland. He holds a B.A. in English from Villanova University, an M.A. in Irish Literature from Boston College and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing, concentrating in Poetry, from George Mason University. As a poet, his work has appeared most recently in Soundings Review, as well as Phoebe, Floorboard Review, The Cossack, and Vending Machine Press. H ...more

The Paladin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ordination (The Paladin Trilogy, #1)
  • Crusade (The Paladin Trilogy #3)
“Fear of the cost of doing the right thing is enough for most to abide in ignorance.” 1 likes
“It is a rule of leading people, Gideon. You may be confused, or afraid, or overwhelmed, or all three—those who depend on you must never see it.” 1 likes