Start by marking “Sartre” as Want to Read:

3.01  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
For some he was the philosopher of existentialism, for others the constant provocateur, the politically engaged author, the uncertain militant, the repenting bourgeois, the life companion of Simone de Beauvoir… From his first readings in the Luxembourg Garden to his refusal of the Nobel Prize for Literature, Jean Paul Sartre was all of this at the same time. In his biograp ...more
Published September 1st 2017 by NBM Publishing (first published March 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sartre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sartre

Lola
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
What a confusing biography. It doesn’t help that the subjects themselves (Sartre – philosophy – existentialism) are complex and require someone’s entire attention.

You’d think a graphic novel shouldn’t be this confusing. After all, with a graphic novel you are able to see as well as read, but because the author and illustrator are limited by the panels, they must make choices as to what is included and what is dismissed.

To me this read like multiple transcribed conversations between different pe
David Schaafsma
There's a kind of long term fascination with all those expatriates living in Paris for a time, and writing: Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, and so on. But we also have a fascination for actual Parisian existentialists and their friends, Camus, Sartre, de Beauvoir. I think this graphic "biography" may really be intended for people who already know Sartre's life and work.

The author and artist seem not so much to try to convey his life and ideas as to kind of distill how the ideas emerged o
Sam Quixote
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sartre is a really crappy biographical comic on the major twentieth century French philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre. Writer Mathilde Ramadier does a remarkably substandard job of explaining the philosophy of existentialism, which Sartre was most famous for, as well as failing to highlight what made him notable to the wider public in the first place. We just get a truncated overview of his (seemingly) uneventful life from bookish youth to teacher to - suddenly! - intellectual celebrity.

The love of
Yehya Çalî
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was funny, it was full of wonderful moments from Sartre's life and it was good to see the atmosphere they had at that time.
But they had to concentrate on Sartre's philosophy more than anything else.
sartre_review
Joseph
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sartre by Mathilde Ramadie is a graphic novel biography. Ramadie trained as a Graphic Designer with professional experiences in several agencies and studios, she went on to study philosophy and psychoanalysis at the University Paris 8, obtaining a Masters Degree in Contemporary Philosophy at the École Normale Supérieure in Paris.

This graphic novel presents an introduction to one of the most famous postwar existentialists. Although some of the philosophy is discussed or dropped into a discussion,
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have only read one thing by Satre, and that was Huis Clos (No Exit), back in high school, but it stuck with me, I still remember that idea that we only see into the living world as long as someone remembers us there, as well as people are hell.

This biography touches very lightly on the man, but it does help to understand a little bit about where his thoughts came from.

This is very much not a children's book, or even YA, unless they are well versed in history.

What is very cool here is that Si
Maggie Gordon
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had thought, going in, that this comic would be an overview of Sartre's life and work. Unfortunately, without a prior understanding of this man's legacy, you're not going to come out understanding anything about him, other than he was a frustrating white dude with an attitude that was not at all endearing... (at least this interpretation of him). The narrative barrels through his life, touching on milestones, but seemingly dwelling on the less important bits. His works are mentioned via title, ...more
Jim Angstadt
Mathilde Ramadier, Anaïs Depommier

This graphic novel was a pleasure to read and view.

Although Sartre is usually associated with existentialism and his appeal to a wide audience, that was a minor part of this story. For me, the main focus was on his relationships with others, notably Simone de Beauvoir, and his focus on honesty and choice.

This makes a good introduction to Sartre; let others explore the intellectual depths.
GONZA
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a real good graphic novel, and even if I'm not a Sartre expert or a philosopher of any type, I enjoyed this reading a lot!

Veramente una bella graphic novel, che si gusta pur senza essere filosofi o esperti di Sartre.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW!
JackLeGeth
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd, philosophie
Moui, bon, bof. Avec tout ca je ne suis pas plus avancée sur la pensée de Sartre. Mais ca semble toujours rester un sale con
John Plowright
There seems to be some confusion over Sartre’s full name. Some sources give it as Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre, others as Jean-Paul Charles-Eymard Sartre. I’ve even seen Jean-Paul-Baptiste-Eymard Sartre.

Mathilde Ramadier, the author of the ‘Sartre’ comic book, which is illustrated by Anaïs Depommier, opts for Jean-Paul-Charles-Eymard Sartre, although happily this formulation only occurs in the rather sketchy family tree at the start of the book, which chiefly serves to establish that Sartre
Windmillchaser
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As book its pretty good, but as a biography, this isn't really a good place to start. Unless you already have a good sense of Sartre and who he was and was about then you'll probably be lost. But as a brief introduction, especially for an intro into his life with "The Beaver" as she's often called here its not bad. I think it paints Sartre a little too sympathetically, but its definitely a good portrait of him from his own point of view and will make you want to take a closer look at some of his ...more
Ramón Fernández Ayarzagoitia
Esta es más una semblanza que una biografía, y no se detiene demasiado en cada momento de la vida de Sartre. Tiene sus positivos y podría funcionar una vez que uno conoce al personaje por sus obras, pero para quien no lo ha leído resultará la lectura de una vida interesante, pero más común de lo que uno espera.
El arte es hermoso y retrata con mucho amor a un personaje con rasgos faciales muy feos. Los personajes se distinguen de manera hermosa y muestran el profundo amor que tiene la autora por
Theediscerning
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
For me this was a book that was much clearer and interesting on the basic biographic detail than on the, er, "producers of interiority" and all such claptrap. I liked the clear, classical line of the artwork, beyond making every student look the same near the beginning, and on the whole it's a decent book - just not as reader-on-the-Clapham-omnibus friendly as it could be. In other words, I guess, it's very French...
C.Reider
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Look, the artwork was stunning, I was super impressed.

However, the story was way too impressionistic and I felt like I needed to have already read and internalized all of the biographic facts about Sartre / de Beauvoir's lives before reading this. I was kind of hoping to learn about these people's lives, not feel stupid for not already knowing about all the details. It's still a pretty charming book and I admire the craftsmanship of it, it was just not for me, apparently.
Kristine
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Sartre by Mathilde Ramadier et. al. is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in early September.

Beautifully and authentically rendered with a beige, green, and muddy palette, Sartre's ancestry and own life is acted out in cell form with thoughts on existentialism, resistance against World War II, world travels, his love of Simone 'Beaver' de Beauvoir; all to bind together to a somewhat hasty ending. Ah, also, it's hard to draw one's gaze away from his googly eyes and codfish lips.
Anton
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Don't know much about Sartre but after page 88 I started doubting the facts of this book. On page 88 Sartre flies to the US on a jet airliner DC-8 in January 1945. DC-8 entered service only in 1959. Also, its represenation was closer to modern jet airliners than to the DC-8 itself. Don't really know why the name of the aircraft is mentioned in the book in the first place. It's not essential to the story, and it's factually wrong.

Couldn't really trust all the other, more intricate and personal, f
Felipe Assis
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nunca dormi tanto lendo.
Perry
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, graphic-novel
Nice enough graphic novel that seemed to only scratch the surface of Sartre's life. Could be a good introduction.
Mary
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not like this!! Graphic language and illustrations. Just not for me.
Liz Yerby
Beautifully drawn just not that interesting as a topic and no novel approach to comics, which is what I like.
Edward Sullivan
Interesting but not especially enlightening as a biography.
Vi
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
for the record, I love Sartre's work and Beauvoir's work. This was hard to read.
Alexia Polasky
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Papercutz for the Arc!
This graphic biography is focused on the life of Jean Paul Sartre. His trials and tribulations and the relationships within his circle. It's a great place to start dipping into the life of one of the most prominent representatives of the existentialist movement.
Ogreart
I received an electronic ARC of this book from netgalley.com in return for an honest review.

Maybe this book would be good for someone who already is familiar with Sartre, his life and his philosophies, but I am not. I know who Sartre is, of course. I know that he was an Existentialist. I was hoping to find out more about that philosophy in this book, unfortunately that was not to be. The main thing I got from this book is the lifelong devotion he had with Simone de Beauvoir and she with him.

I a
Cloclo
Jun 20, 2016
David Sanval
May 08, 2018
Mark Beauchamp
Jan 07, 2018
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Philip Nanos

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate