Start by marking “Seeking Mansfield (Seeking Mansfield, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seeking Mansfield (Seeking Mansfield, #1)

Seeking Mansfield

(Seeking Mansfield #1)

Sixteen-year-old Finley Price has perfected two things: how to direct a world-class production, and how to fly way, way under the radar. The only person who ever seems to notice Finley is her best friend, the Bertram's son Oliver. If she could just take Oliver's constant encouragement to heart and step out of the shadows, she'd finally chase her dream of joining the presti ...more
Published May 16th 2017 by Flux (first published May 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Mansfield, please sign up.
Kate Watson Great question. It's a retelling of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, so there's that. :) Finley is trying to work up the courage to join the prestigious…moreGreat question. It's a retelling of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, so there's that. :) Finley is trying to work up the courage to join the prestigious Mansfield Theater youth program, but the home she lives in with her godparents belongs to the fictional Mansfield Square, as well. Both places represent what she seeks throughout the novel. :) (less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,084 books — 8,414 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
220 books — 1,561 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Watson
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert: I LOVED THIS BOOK. I wrote this book, so believe me, I know.

Also, there are no real spoilers in this review. But if there were, they'd be charming and witty and you'd be so excited, I bet.
McKelle George
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Guys, you need this book in your life. A lot of people think Mansfield Park is one of Austen's more lowkey, unobtrusive books--but Watson finds the charming core of that book and turns it into her own in a hilarious, romantic, and awesome retelling. You will love Finley. And Harlan. And everyone.
Rosalyn Eves
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for Jane Austen retellings (even the bad ones), so as soon as I heard the premise for Seeking Mansfield, I wanted to read it. Mansfield Park is a tricky adaptation in any case--Fanny Price is one of Austen's quieter heroines, and I'm never entirely comfortable with the pygmalion vibes I get from the way Edmund Bertram takes pride in shaping Fanny's tastes.

In Seeking Mansfield, Kate Watson brilliantly updates Austen's classic for a modern audience and improves on the creepy vibe from
Carlie Sorosiak
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. Do you like theatre? (Go to #2)

2. Do you like love stories/love triangles? (Go to #3)

3. Do you like marvelous combinations of the two in a gorgeously swoon-worthy YA package? Well, you're in luck!

I think you can tell by now that I thoroughly enjoyed Seeking Mansfield. I'm going to go ahead and admit at the forefront that I've never read Jane Austen. I know. Really, I know. That's craziness, and will have to be remedied at some point - but in no way did this lessen my reading experience. Becau
Jeff
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I beta read an early copy of this and was surprised by how much I liked it. Kate's writing was easy to get into, and even though Young Adult isn't my thing, I found her characters likably flawed and complex, and the story was one I wanted to finish. Great book.
Emily Murphy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you love Austen (as I do) and slow-burning romances (as I do), then you will love this book (as I did!) The word "charming" was invented to describe SEEKING MANSFIELD. A clever, sweet retelling peppered with pop culture, Shakespeare, and--of course--Austen references. Really enjoyed this one!
Anna Priemaza
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
It's taken me a while to write this review because every time I've thought about SEEKING MANSFIELD, I've spiraled into deep contemplation over my feelings about love triangles. (Not joking. True fact.) Because I don't like love triangles. (I know, I know, blasphemy.) So why, then, did I adore the love triangle (more of a love square, really) in this book?!?

In SEEKING MANSFIELD, Finley Price is living with her best friend Oliver and his family, because her Hollywood actor dad is dead and her abus
Susannah Ortiz
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an earlier draft of this book and devoured it! Even with 3 small children clamoring for my attention I couldn't put it down! As an avid YA reader and devoted Jane Austen fan I can say with assurance that this is a fun, delightful book! The characters are well developed and the storyline is well paced.
Can't wait to read this book in all of it's published glory!
Marguerite (M)
Rating : 3.75 stars
what is it with me and the .75 stars ??

Mansfield Park is probably one of my least favorite books of Jane Austen. I liked it, but Mansfield Park lacked a heroine like Emma or Lizzie. Fanny Price was dull, irritating and invisible.

Finley Price was not.

Seeking Mansfield is about Finley and Oliver as they grow up and find each other. It's about this shy and selfless girl who thinks she's not worth anything, and how she will manage to find her own way, love and happiness. It was a
Krysti
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Did Seeking Mansfield Just Out Swoon Mansfield Park?!

The answer is YYYAAASSS!!!! I am, admittedly, a huge Austenite, but Kate Watson made me fall in love with Bertram and Crawford even more than Jane Austen herself did. Which if you haven't read Mansfield Park yet, that is SERIOUSLY saying something. This book was a true pleasure from beginning to end, and I absolutely loved it.

MY RATING: FIVE STARS

*Warning! This review may contain spoilers if you have not yet read Mansfield Park*

I read a lot, A
Stacee
I was quite excited for this book. I loved the synopsis and the hint at BFF to more. Sadly I was either bored or annoyed while reading.

Finley is a decent enough character. She has a traumatic past and that definitely plays into her actions. It was nice to see her grow and branch out and find her voice. Oliver definitely had potential, but I was irritated by his inner monologue and how most of his decisions are based on what he thinks Finley means. Harley and Emma and Juliette were clichéd spoil
Amanda
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
First, a huge thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of a book that basically killed me dead with all the feels.

Second, do you like angsty swoon? Like ALL THE ANGSTY SWOON? Then this book is for you!! I can't even properly describe the amount of feels I had while reading this book.

I'll write more when I read a properly published version (oh you bet I'll be buying a fancy published copy of this book and rereading it fortnightly).

Kate Watson, you're my hero.

EDIT: It's finally here! And of course I had to
Emily
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I beta read an early version of this book and it was wonderful. Can't wait for it to be released!
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
One of The Best YA Jane Austen Adaptations I’ve Read!

Rating: 5 out 5 stars

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern, Young Adult retelling of Mansfield Park

SETTING: Present-day Chicago

MAIN CHARACTERS:

Finley Price: A shy sixteen-year-old with a broken home life. Is very grateful for her godparents, the Bertrams, who have taken care of her these last two years.
Oliver Bertram: Eighteen-year-old second son of Finley’s godparents. Her closest friend and fiercest protector.
Harlan Crawford: Popular movie star
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title from NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Seeking Mansfield will be available 5/16/17.

I love a good Jane Austen re-telling and I haven’t read any based on Mansfield Park, so picking this book up was a no brainer. It’s been such a long time since I read Mansfield Park that I can’t really comment on how faithful it is to the source material. I do know that the basic structure of it is similar and reading this made me really want to go back and re-read Mansfield
Gina Denny
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, contemp, romance
I am the very first person to say that I am tired of Jane Austen retellings (as I write my own fairy tale retellings, but that's beside the point) and so I have to admit that I was even a little nervous about this one, despite it being something other than Pride and Prejudice.

Since I know basically nothing about Mansfield Park, however, it turns out that this reads like a fully contemporary novel. It has NONE of the annoying "retelling" traits: characters with out-of-time names, odd turns of ph
Sara
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2017-debuts, mar-2017
Austen retelling plus theater - I've waited months for this book and can count myself among the lucky early readers. I rather like Austen's Mansfield Park, and Watson puts a fantastic contemporary spin on the story. Even if you've never read a word of Austen, you'll fall for Finley, her world, and everyone in it.
Breeana Shields
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2k17-books
Because I love Jane Austen so much, I’m picky about my retellings. But, I’m happy to report that SEEKING MANSFIELD did a beautiful job of capturing everything that’s charming and wonderful about MANSFIELD PARK while updating it for a modern audience. (I actually prefer Finley to the original heroine—don’t tell Austen.)

This book was everything I could have hoped for---swoony, funny, well-paced. And I loved how Watson wrote each character with enormous compassion. She did a beautiful job populati
Katie Nelson
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A retelling worthy of Miss Austen.

Finley Price has two loves: the theater and her adopted family. When teen movie stars, Emma and Harlan Crawford, move across the street for the summer, Finley's quiet life suddenly gets a lot more complicated. As Emma flirts with Oliver, Finley must decide if her friendship with Oliver, who's like a brother, is more than that, or if she really is falling for Harlan's charm. When tragedy strikes the family, Finley must decide if she's ready to confront her demons
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:

If I’m honest, this book was much…more than I expected. It elapsed over more time, delved into more characters, tackled more issues, was written with more life, and was simply…more. I loved it.

Seeking Mansfield is an expertly crafted work full of romance, family, and life’s tough throws. But what makes this book stand particularly high on the scale is its unwavering and undeniable grounding in reality. From complex characters to twisting plot lines, this story is one that wi
K.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
4.5 stars. Review to follow.
Melissa
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate Watson’s sparkling YA romance, SEEKING MANSFIELD—a riff on Jane Austen’s 1814 novel, Mansfield Park— centers on 16-year-old Finley Price, the theater-obsessed daughter of deceased movie star Gabriel Price, who is sent to live with her godparents, the Bertrams, after her father’s death. While in the care of the Bertram family, Finley meets teen heartthrob Harlan Crawford and his movie-star sister, Emma. Emma soon falls for Finley’s BFF Oliver Bertram, much to Finley’s dismay. Although Finley ...more
Caroline
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
full review up here!

I absolutely love Mansfield Park, it is one of my favorite Austen novels, so when I saw this, I immediately knew I had to have it! I'm so pleased I got to read it a smidge early, and let me tell you guys, it did not disappoint! I thought it perfectly updated Mansfield Park for a modern audience, taking out some of the pricklier parts of the original and really amping up the swoon factor. That being said, you absolutely do not have to have read or even be familiar with Austen'
Aubrey Marie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book was a great quick read. It definitely pulled me out of a reading slump. The characters develop and grow throughout the book and it intertwines so many other issues into a love story. I felt my self invested in this book and can't wait to see more from this author!
Emily
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh. I cannot gush enough about this book (but I will on the blog soon, I promise!). I loved Finley. I loved seeing her grow and come into her own and see her take ownership of herself and her life. I think she is an excellent example of how some of the worst life situations can make us better people, stronger people. I loved that this love triangle made sense and had me, as a reader, all confused. I loved Oliver even though he made me angry at times, because seriously man own up to what ...more
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
Have you read any great modern variations based on "Mansfield Park?" Today I have a review and giveaways for Kate Watson's new release, "Seeking Mansfield" that you won't want to miss!

Rebecca
this book was generously provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

4 Mansfield loving stars!!

I did not know what to expect when I started this book, even though I love Jane Austen's works, I haven't read the original Mansfield Park, but I loved " Seeking Mansfield"

There was so much to love about this book.

"Seeking Mansfield" is the story of Finley Price, who has suffered heart ache and trauma. She lives with her godparents the Bertram's. Finley doesn't really feel like she belongs
Tamara
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful! I could not put this charming book down and started and finished in the same day. As a Jane Austen fan, I was so impressed with this modern-day retelling of Mansfield Park. I found Ms. Watson's characters more likable and relatable than the original. The book was fun and light at times and I liked the depth that a more serious storyline gave the book and the characters. I just loved it and can't wait to read more from Ms. Watson!
Jessica
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. 5 brilliant stars.

Mansfield Park is my least favorite Austen novel (kind of a relative term for this Austenite), but I just adored this adaptation of it. Finley is the modern Fanny Price we all need. And Oliver was just so, so swoony.

Full review to come closer to publication.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley. No monies were exchanged.

Joanne O'Sullivan
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful exploration of being true to yourself and how challenging it can be. I haven't read Mansfield Park, but I see wonderful Austen-esque echoes in the complicated by realistic love story. These are characters you cheer for pair with wonderfully crafted storytelling. I can't wait to read what Kate Watson comes up with next!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• These Dreams: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Lucky 13: Matchmaking and Misunderstandings
  • Ordinary Girls
  • A Man with Faults
Kate Watson is a young adult writer, wife, mother of three, and the tenth of thirteen children. Originally from Canada, she attended college in the States and holds a BA in Philosophy from Brigham Young University. A lover of travel, speaking in accents, and experiencing new cultures, she has studied in Israel and lived in Brazil, the American South, and now calls Arizona home.

Her first novel, SE

Seeking Mansfield (3 books)
  • Shoot the Moon (Seeking Mansfield, #2)
  • Off Script