Start by marking “None but the Dead” as Want to Read:
None but the Dead

None but the Dead

(Rhona MacLeod #11)

Sanday, one of Britain's northernmost islands, is inaccessible when wind prevents the ferry crossing, or fog grounds the tiny plane. When human remains are discovered by an old school, forensic expert Dr. Rhona MacLeod and her assistant are called. Approaching midwinter, they find daylight in short supply and some of the island's inhabitants less than co-operative. When th ...more
Published July 1st 2017 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about None but the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about None but the Dead

Paromjit
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite series featuring the forensic examiner, Dr Rhona MacLeod. We are at the eleventh, and Lin Anderson's writing and plotting seems only to improve. They are usually set in Glasgow, but this is set on the remote and often inaccessible northerly Orkney Island of Sanday, amidst the howling gales, cold rain, and high seas. Mike, an incomer on the island finds thirteen muslin flowers in his dank and dingy loft. He takes one flower to Sam Flett at the Heritage Centre who tells ...more
Sharon
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 11th in the Rhona MacLeod series by Lin Anderson and once again I was blown away! This book takes us to the remote Northern island of Sanday where human remains have been discovered and forensic scientist Dr Rhona MacLeod and her assistant Chrissie are brought in to evacuate the grave; meanwhile back in Glasgow McNab is investigating the suspicious death of an elderly man in his flat. When a link between the Glasgow death and the body on Sanday is suspected, McNab volunteers to head off to t ...more
Kay
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read and part of a brilliant series. My favourite one so far.
Fast paced and gripping
Paul
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
None but the Dead – Another Great MacLeod Mystery

None but the Dead is the eleventh of the wonderful Rhona MacLeod series from the brilliant Scottish author Lin Anderson. Always well researched, well written and totally gripping but for once she has been allowed to break out from Glasgow, this is set on the Isle of Sanday part of the Orkney Islands archipelago in the far north of Scotland.

A body is found on what had been the play area of the old schoolhouse on Sanday and they send for forensic ex
Amanda
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the eleventh book in the hugely popular and successful series featuring Dr. Rhona MacLeod, a forensic scientist.

I read and reviewed ‘The Special Dead’ last year and really enjoyed it. I met Lin Anderson at an event held at our local library at the beginning of this year and found her fascinating to talk to and to listen to. I am in the process of reading the rest of the series in order but when I was offered the chance to read and review ‘None But The Dead’, well it was an offer that I s
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I thought the previous Rhona MacLeod novel was the best but Lin Anderson has come up with another absolutely superb, tense and atmospheric novel. Set on the island of Sanday, one of the Orkney Islands, its sheer remoteness serves to heighten the tension throughout. The islanders have their own traditions and superstitions which are very cleverly woven into the plot. An incomer to the island, Mike Jones is renovating his cottage and in the loft he discovers thirteen intricately tied muslin flower ...more
John Marsh
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alfred Nobile
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, wow is all I can say. What a brilliant book! The writing, research and atmosphere draws you in and wont let go.Set in the Shetland island of Sanday, where human remains have been uncovered, sees Dr Rhona Macleod and her assistant Chrissy called in to investigate.
Meanwhile in Glasgow, DS. McNab is investigating the death of an elderly man who has links to the island.
This sees McNab volunteering to go to Sanday. To further his investigation or see Rhona, who knows? As the investigation contin
Dr Joy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked Rhona and McNab but the rest of the book I have no particularly strong feelings about. I had no idea this was number 11 in the series, I thought it was only number 3 as there are two pictures of front covers on the inside flap. That might help explain my inability to fully warm to this novel.
I am sure the scenery and weather descriptions would have appealed to some but I found the constant storms monotonous.
In essence, the plot was clever in concept, weaving the events of past and pres
Geraldine Presley
One of the reasons that I enjoyed this book is because it takes place on Sanday, one of Britain's northern most islands, unable to get to when the wind prevents the ferry crossing from the mainland or fog grounds the tiny, island-hopping plane.
I enjoy stories that take place in places that I have never been as well as places that I have been.
Rhona Macleod, the main character, is a forensic scientist.
It is quite an involved story with happenings on and off the island. The people who live on the
Jovdb
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read other Rhonda MacLeod books and enjoyed them. I am reading them out of order but it doesn't seem to matter.

The setting, on that rather dismal Orkney island, was very atmospheric and added to the story. Lin Anderson did quite well meshing the historical elements with the current intrigue. Also, being without the usual access to technology befitted the origins of the crime.

I think that both main characters, MacLeod and McNabb, are both rather sad individuals.

I shuddered to think of bei
Val Penny
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lin Anderson is, without doubt, the queen of Tartan Noir. None but the Dead is the 11th crime novel she has written featuring the forensic expert, Rhona Macleod. The story is set on Sanday, one of Britain's northerly islands in the Orkney archepelego. It is inaccessible when the wind prevents the ferry from the mainland crossing, or fog grounds the tiny island hopping plane. A place with its own customs and where everybody knows everybody else, even the incomers.

Human remains have been discovere
Rog Harrison
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read most of this series and am trying to read the couple of books I missed. This story is mainly set in Sanday, one of the Orkney Islands. The starting point is the discovery of a skeleton probably someone murdered during World War 2. There is a touch of the supernatural then two more deaths and a missing child. The author knows how to tell a story and this is an enjoyable read.
Allison Henle
It's a decent mystery; there are some interesting red herrings that kept me strung along. I didn't like the strong hint of the supernatural (is it a police procedural or not? Do make up your mind, Author) and I also didn't realize how much I needed to read the previous novels first. Make no mistake: this is NOT a stand-alone and you will be vastly puzzled at various points.
Michael Craig
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second novel by Lin Anderson in the Rhona MacLeod series that I have read. I enjoyed it. The story and characters were well constructed. I particularly liked and found interesting the descriptions of Orkney, its landscape, buildings. seascape and culture. Knowing Glasgow, the small part of the book set there was a personal bonus. I gave it a 4 star rating.
Jenny L
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Not read any Lin Anderson before and really enjoyed this. She really creates a great atmosphere with her writing and the story kept you guessing. Liked the characters she portrayed too. I am looking forward to reading more by her.
Ivor
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched - Yes. Captures the atmosphere of island life - Yes. However I felt the book was too long for the story it wanted to tell and as a reader I lost interest several times and had to put it down for periods and come back to it .
Colette Connors
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Wouldn’t read anymore in this series,no real depth to the characters.
Carole Evans
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is first of this series that I have read, enjoyed the background and the twists and turns of the story, now looking forward to reading the earlier books!
Rennie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The opening scene was effective and the sense of place in the Orkney Islands was well done but the rest of the book just seemed to be a bit flat.
Alan Thomson
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good crime thriller with good characters and nice location. Good plot keeps the pace going throughout. Very enjoyable
Diana
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NONE BUT THE DEAD (Rhona Macleod #11) by LIn Anderson. This is my final Lin Anderson Scottish noir title ‘till her newest title is released this August. It is titled FOLLOW THE DEAD (Rhona Macleod #12).
I am impressed with this series and have enjoyed every title. (I do recommend reading them in order.) Besides the very rich, developed, complex characters; the forensic details; the perfect example of the noir genre; and the raw, gritty themes, I read these books for their sense of place. NONE BUT
Lc
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read and of great interest to me as my grandfather was born on Sanday
Marsha Welsh
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love Rhona Macleod! If you have not read any 📙 by Lin Andersons get them on your list brilliant characters! Great stories keep me guessing right to the end!!
Sheila
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story. I had to snatch time to read whenever possible. It's the first Rhona MacLeod story I've read and now look forward to more.
Claire
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was okay. I struggled to get into it and it was confusing at times but eventually it got better
Mairi Deans
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent instalment in this series.
Annette Smith
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Very disappointed in the lack of plot.
Craig Sisterson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, scottish
This is an atmospheric and very enjoyable mystery set on the remote island of Sanday in the outer Orkney Islands off the northern coast of Scotland. The eleventh in Anderson's series starring Rhona MacLeod, None But the Dead flows really well, and ticks plenty of boxes for crime-loving readers as it takes us on a fascinating, twisting journey alongside the Glaswegian forensic examiner.

The story kickstarts with two bodies: one in Glasgow and one in Sanday. In the city, an elderly man is found de
Clare
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rhona MacLeod finds herself on the island of Sanday investigating remains found in a former playground. Has the new occupant of the schoolhouse disturbed something from the past?
This compulsive thriller/chiller is the 11th Rhona MacLeod novel, a series which delivers with every volume yet somehow each seems to surpass the one before. Blending crime with a touch of the supernatural, this novel, in which the island and weather are prominent characters in their own right, is a real page turner. It
  • Avalanche Express
  • Stay of Execution (Bob Skinner, #14)
  • The Quiet Death of Thomas Quaid (Lennox, #5)
  • The Snare of the Hunter
  • The Photographer (Narey & Winter, #7)
  • Presumed Dead (Carter Blake #5)
  • The Farfarers: Before the Norse
  • Beyond The Rage
  • Magnus
  • No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)
  • The Quaker (Duncan McCormack #1)
  • Delivering Death: A Novel (Riley Spartz, #6)
  • A Family Recipe
  • Venus as a Boy
  • The Loch of the Dead (Frey & McGray #4)
  • The Damselfly (Banktoun, #3)
  • Don't You Want Me
  • How to Kill Friends and Implicate People (Sam Ireland Mysteries #2)
Lin Anderson was born in Greenock of Scottish and Irish parents. A graduate of both Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities, she has lived in many different parts of Scotland and also spent five years working in the African bush. A teacher of Mathematics and Computing, she began her writing career four years ago. Her first film, Small Love, which was broadcast on STV, was nominated for TAPS writer of t ...more

Rhona MacLeod (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Driftnet (Rhona MacLeod #1)
  • Torch (Rhona MacLeod #2)
  • Deadly Code (Rhona MacLeod #3)
  • Dark Flight (Rhona MacLeod #4)
  • Easy Kill (Rhona MacLeod #5)
  • Final Cut (Rhona MacLeod #6)
  • The Reborn (Rhona MacLeod #7)
  • Picture Her Dead (Rhona MacLeod #8)
  • Paths of the Dead (Rhona MacLeod #9)
  • The Special Dead (Rhona MacLeod #10)