Start by marking “These Things I've Done” as Want to Read:
These Things I've Done

These Things I've Done

Before: Dara and Aubrey have been inseparable since they became best friends in sixth grade. Dara is the fearless one, Aubrey the prodigy, yet despite their differences they support each other unconditionally. However, as they begin their sophomore year of high school, cracks in their friendship begin to form, testing the bond they always thought was unbreakable.

After: It’
Published August 1st 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about These Things I've Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Things I've Done

“They’ll never let me forget that my best friend fell into the path of an oncoming pickup truck and was crushed to death right in front of me.
And they definitely won’t let me forget that I’m the one who pushed her.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl whose best friend died a year earlier.

Dara was an interesting character and it was clear how much Aubrey’s death had affected her. It was brave o
jv poore
An exquisitely expressed story that effortlessly evokes all the emotions.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Mistakes happen, we can hate ourselves for them all we want, but it doesn’t help anything. It just ends up hurting us too.”

I wanted an emotional read, and I got it! These Things I’ve Done is a beautifully powerful story of forgiveness- forgiveness for yourself and for things you can’t undo. Wracked with the guilt she feels after her best friend Aubrey’s death, Dara Shepard returns home to confront her memories and her remorse. But, Dara begins spending time with Ethan, Aubrey’s brother, and
Sara (sarabara081)
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

4.5 stars!

The premise for These Things I’ve Done immediately grabbed me. I always gravitate towards angst and novels that are on the heavy side leaving me filled with a plethora of emotions as I read. This story is about a girl who blames herself for her best friend’s death and the path to acceptance and letting go.

The chapters are divided between the Before and the After of Aubrey’s death and both time frames were equally important to the over
Thamy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it

The book deserves 3.5.

This is a romance between Dara, who had to change schools after accidentally killing her best friend and now decided to go back and face punishment from their peers, and Ethan, the same best friend's little brother, who has all the reasons to hate Dara and is surely isn't as little anymore. In fact, he's about to become the most important person in Dara's life.

And Rebecca Phillips did it again for me. I wasn't ready for a story with so much depth. I mean, were it not YA, I
Jamie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A touching story of how one girl copes after losing her best friend. But not just a simple loss-oh no. Her friend died right in front of her and she (along with some others) holds herself responsible. I can't even begin to properly get the emotional baggage that must come with.

Ethan, the brother to her best friend, is by far my favorite character in the book. He is so far mature and wise beyond his years. And sweet, stable and caring. Truly a gem in Dara's life. I liked Dara too, but sometimes
Alexa
*A copy of this book was provided to me by HarperCollins Canada for the exchange of an honest review*

This book made me so emotional! 😭

Full review: http://bit.ly/2wuQAp8

PinkAmy loves  \\u0026#x1f495; books\\u0026#x1f4d6;, cats\\u0026#x1f63b; and naps\\u0026#x1f6cf;
3.5 STARS

Determined to face her guilt, Dara returns to her hometown fifteen months after she killed her best friend. She expects Aubrey’s brother Ethan to hate her, but not that all her friends would hate her too. Even her family treat her like she’s unwanted.

THESE THINGS I’VE DONE is a fairly predictable story, yet Rebecca Phillips managed to hold my interest with flawless writing. Told in Dara’s voice alternating chapters between sophomore and senior years, leading up to Aubrey’s death and Dar
Kris
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
actual rating 4.5 and RTC
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. I don’t think I have the words to talk about how much I loved this book. I’m actually really mad at myself for waiting so long. I downloaded this book over 550 days ago and am ashamed of myself for taking so long. The writing was fantastic, the story was amazing, and the characters were perfect. It was the perfec
Stephanie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

So, I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. Dara's struggle to come to terms with her role in her best friend's death felt real for the most part, although I had a few quibbles with the way people around her handled it. And while I was skeptical at first, I thought the alternating present day/flashback chapters ended up working really well in terms of pushing the story forward while also laying the groundwork for the romance.

Another big plus is that this book was exactly
Krysti
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
THESE THINGS I'VE DONE is equally heartbreaking and heartwarming and is such a beautiful story of friendship, grief, love, and forgiveness.

I really enjoyed the way Phillips flips back and forth between Dara's present and her past. We get to see the build up to the terrible event that resulted in the tragic death of her best friend as well as the emotional aftermath that she has to attempt to cope with. The pacing of the story was perfect, and the moments when Phillips chooses to switch from pas
Sharon
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of those stories that grabs you by the throat, hits you in the gut and twists your heart!

Told by Dara, a teen suffering guilt over the death of her best friend Aubrey, These Things I’ve Done follows the pair from their first meet to their sophomore year at high school, the accident and what happens after.

My favorite character transformation isn’t Dara but Aubrey’s younger brother Ethan who grows from a shy geeky child to a confident mature person and shows Dara what forgiveness means even i
Louisa
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really amazing book! The story was sad, but uplifting! Accidents happen, and they can really change your life. There was a lot of pain, but there was also healing! Really enjoyed this book!
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
These Things I’ve Done Review Original Blog Post
"Mistakes happen, We can hate ourselves for them all we want , but it doesn't help anything. It just ends up hurting us too."

This story was beautiful and heart breaking. It was about loss, coping with guilt. This story was about Dara who accidentally killed her best friend. Honestly if you think about this how hard would be to a person to see you best friend die in front of you? This book brings about a lot of emotions for you to feel.
The chapte
Vani
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s
So much of how I feel can be summarized with one thought:

It is really special when a book tells you from the very beginning exactly what’s going to happen, and still makes you cry when it happens.

These Things I’ve Done ends the first chapter by telling you exactly what part Dara played in Aubrey’s death, and still, reading about it killed me. In the best way possible.

This book is so. Damn. Good. Y’all!

One thing I find happening more and more as I read more YA is that I shout a lot. Seriously. I
Melannie :)
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Give it up for this book! *clapping emoji*
Review to come.

___________________________

I've been starving for some contemporary jewel this year. So far this has probably been the busiest year of my life so far (and that's saying a lot) and I have read a whooping 4 books so far--and it's friggin April.

So I was desperately needing some good quality story to get me out of my funk. These Things I've Done turned out to be the miracle I was hoping for.

I didn't even expect it. I haven't even read a blurb
Luke Reynolds
YA contemporaries are a very predictable field. If you want books that have a girl coming to terms with stuff in her life, a sweet if safe romance, and a brief glimpse into heavy issues that may or may not be satisfactory depending on who you ask, you're in the right place. I value them as comfort reads, pillows to rest upon whenever I finish something really edgy and out of my comfort zone. These are in a safe place for me.

Looking back at Rebecca Phillips' other novels shows that her contempora
Haley
*I received advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Edelweiss and HarperCollins*

Wow, I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as it was. I didn't know what to think about a girl who accidentally killed her best friend. Honestly, what would you do in this situation? How do you react to accidentally killing your best friend and having to deal with the guilt of just watching her die right in front of you? How? This book brought out so many emotions in me and y
Holly
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada
I'm going to state up front that I'm a crier. I cry at pretty much everything - so I often go out of my way to avoid books that I *know* will make me cry and a book about a girl who feels responsible for the death of her best friend ranks up there as a "Book That Will Make Me Cry". I figured since the friend was already dead at the start of the book I could manage. I wasn't counting on flashbacks to when the friend was still alive - although the flashbacks were perfect. Seeing the three main cha ...more
Jackie Nolan
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was a wonderfully written story. The blurb caught my attention (how could it not? I mean, how do you accidentally kill your best friend?) and I was drawn into the story immediately.

What I liked most about this story is that the characters are all so realistic and relatable. It was clear that Dara struggled with guilt over what happened to the point where she was pretty much punishing herself from having any happiness. It was incredibly brave of her to go back home and face what happen
Stella Maria
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
{Review coming soon.}

I was fully expecting this book to be your typical cliched summer romance book, but the writing surprised me. The grief and romance didn't feel staged, which made me adore this book.

Fun fact: I read the last line of this book as my plane to Florida landed - and I literally mean when the wheels touched the ground. Talk about emphasis.

3.66 stars ✩✩✩✩
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing about this book is that this premise and plot are CHOCK-FULL of things that, handled poorly, could turn this into a trainwreck. Like, around every corner, but Rebecca Phillips navigates this masterfully and with sensitivity. As a writer who is currently wrestling with a similarly booby-trapped manuscript, I appreciate the skill displayed here.
Rebeca
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW.... I have tears in my eyes right now, it was so good❤ I heard about this book a while ago and I immediately added it to my TBR, I was intrigued and while it took me a while to read this book, I’m glad I finally read it. I read this book today, I couldn’t put it down. This story is about friendship, love & loss, as soon as you start to read it, you won’t be able to stop reading!
ALEXA
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I liked the writing in this one, as well as the narrative style that Phillips employed. Plus, I thought the characters were interesting and the personal conflict that Dara was experiencing and working through was pretty compelling to read about.
taylor
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
{4.5/5}

WOW. all these emotions i’m feeling rn have me shooketh!!
Lucy (That Book Gal)
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ORIGINAL REACTION, PRE-REVIEW: *calls 911* HI YES EMERGENCY I READ THIS BOOK AND IT WAS SO FREAKING BEAUTIFUL AND NOW I'M DYING.

Calmer, Professional(haha) reaction, review:
I’m crying right now. I just finished this book mere seconds ago, and I’m crying because it was beautiful: abso-freakin-lutely beautiful. From the beginning, the story that Rachel Phillips weaves is haunting, and the emotion that drives it forward is heart-wrenching.
At first it feels like the story will be black and white, but
Shade
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book—mailed to me by the author herself! Thank you!!--on behalf of Eric Smith and Harper Collins, in exchange for an honest review.

PRAISE

After reading so many stories lately with high stakes, it was great to sit back and read a contemporary about ordinary people that progressed at an easy pace. This book provides a candid look at love, friendship, and guilt from a fifteen-year-old girl's perspective. It is at times heartwarming, bittersweet, and sad. At other times, unpleasant an
Shannon
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished this book for the second time and (dries eyes and blows nose) it was even better than the first time. The characters are so beautifully written and their story so visceral that I fell into their world of pain and guilt and love and didn't come up for air until my gasping sobs startled me from my reverie. As always Rebecca Phillips gets FIVE LARGE BRIGHT SHINY STARS from this loyal fan but this one is going to leave a mark on my soul.
Sam
3.5

Huge thank you to Harper Collins Canada for this ARC!

I've had a copy of These Things I've Done since February, and I had constant hesitation to pick this book up. Books that deal with both guilt and grief are sometimes a topic that I need to be emotionally in the right frame of mind for, and this book based on the blurb told me I was going to have all the feels.

I did have feels, they just seemed to happen in the last hundred pages of the book.

This is a slow burn and one where the writing sty
Rebecca Phillips has been writing YA since she was a YA herself. She's the author of:

The JUST YOU series
OUT OF NOWHERE
FAKING PERFECT (Kensington)
ANY OTHER GIRL (Kensington)
THESE THINGS I'VE DONE (HarperTeen)
THE GIRL YOU THOUGHT I WAS (HarperTeen)

Rebecca lives in beautiful Nova Scotia, Canada with her husband, two children, and one spoiled rotten cat. Visit Rebecca on her website www.rebeccawritesy