Start by marking “Spirit Hunters” as Want to Read:
Spirit Hunters

Spirit Hunters

(Spirit Hunters #1)

“Oh has crafted a truly chilling middle grade horror novel that will grab readers’ imaginations.” Publishers Weekly (starred review)

“Even more impressive than the shiver factor is the way the author skillfully uses the compelling premise to present a strong, consistent message of not rejecting what you don’t understand.” Booklist (starred review)

“This mystery thrille
Published July 25th 2017 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Spirit Hunters
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Not sure why there's all these "too childish" 2/3 star reviews. This is middle grade which means the target audience is 9-12 (in most cases). It is meant for children. When reviewing MG you need to be thinking from the perspective of the target audience, not yourself (assuming reviewer =/= target audience).

I know Oh's first series was YA so some of her YA readers may be picking up this new book (being a fan of the author), but please remember this is middle-grade, not YA or adult. If the writing
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
This was such an enjoyable middle grade horror story! Haunted house stories don't often work for me, but this one did because it was more focused around a possession, than the actual house. I also thought the exorcism was quite unique because it pulled from non-Catholic sources like Buddhism.

For a book aimed at a younger audience, I found it to be pleasantly creepy with a good balance between suspense and humour. The audiobook narrator did a great job of voicing the possessed person.

F
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Wayyyy too scary for me!
Mir
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, younger
All the elements here were pretty familiar, especially the Michael/Billy plot, and the most original bit with the long-dead Grady wasn't elaborated enough. That aside, the writing and characters were solid and it was a very enjoyable read. I think this would be excellent for a kid or even adult who hadn't already read a lot in this genre, and I'm certainly open to try something else by this author. ...more
Dayla
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't get over the fact that this is a middle grade book. This was so creepy!! I loved the Korean spiritual references and how the haunting was described.

I do wish the parents were more aware of the haunting so that the protagonist could have a moment of "I told you so", but other than that, this was a fun and creepy read!

Happy reading!
Elle (ellexamines)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mg readers
Very middle-of-the-road middle grade fiction. Not the book's fault, this genre is just not for me.

The writing style of this kind of annoyed me. I sort of expected "a bit childish" which I'd consider fine for an MG novel, but the “she felt angry” kind of style started to annoy me pretty quickly.

The only new or original thing offered here is the Asian lead characters and general diversity, which I did appreciate. 20/10 excellent for middle grade readers.
Alex  Baugh
It’s early summer and Harper Raine, 12, isn’t very happy about the family’s move to Washington, DC. Older sister Kelly thinks the move is all Harper’s fault because of starting a fire at school and then having a terrible accident at Briarly, a psychiatric hospital, that left her with both arms broken and two broken ribs. Harper, however, has absolutely no memory of either event

The new house is unbearably hot because of broken air conditioning, except for 4 year-old MIchael’s room, which is unnat
Book Riot Community
Harper Raine has a bad feeling about her family’s new home the moment she steps inside. Then she hears the rumors about the house. And to top things off, her little brother begins acting strangely. Now Harper is spending seventh grade seeking answers to the spirits she senses and trying to figure out a way to save her brother before it’s too late. This is a fun debut to a new middle grade series!

Backlist bump: The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to a
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Review originally published 26 June 2018 at Falling Letters.

Spirit Hunters, the first book in an upcoming series, is a classic haunted house tale with a Korean-American perspective. (This book is #ownvoices for Korean-American representation.) Harper’s family has just moved from an air conditioned apartment in New York to a stuffy old house in Washington D.C. Harper knows the move has something to do with a fire at school and a serious accident that put her in hospital, but she has no memories o
Renee Godding
Only pick this one up if you are very brave (and at least 10 or older)

As a young horror fan, I would have loved to read this with my mum at that age, getting creeped out together. This book offers some genuinely scary bits, coupled with a lot of humour, heartfelt moments, friendship and some wonderful messages about diversity and acceptance.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
OKAY I WAS NOT EXPECTING HOW SPOOKY AND GORY THIS ONE WAS!!! Thoroughly enjoyed it and really liked how the mother-daughter relationship was depicted in this one.
Meisha
(3.5) This is an objective low 4 star. As far as personal rating, it’s a higher 3 star. The characters were kind of two dimensional. If that isn’t something you like, maybe skip this one. Cause I feel like the characters definitely take the back burner in this one. However, where it lacked in character development, it made up for in plot. This would have scared the crap out of me as a kid! It’s short and very fast paced so it’s really fast and easy to get through. And as someone who really enjoy ...more
Alex (The Bookubus)
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it

Twelve-year-old Harper and her family move into an old house...it turns out to be haunted and only Harper can save the day.

I enjoyed the characters and the supernatural elements, and I really liked the inclusion of different cultures. Unfortunately I felt like the story got a bit convoluted at times and maybe the author was trying to get too many ideas into the story rather than streamlining it and focusing on a few elements rather than several. It was still a charming and enjoyable rea
Devann
A solid little middle grade horror story, but not one that I think translates well to adult readers. I'm sure it would be very enjoyable to the target audience and especially to Korean-American kids who want to see protagonists that are like them, but it was definitely a bit simplistic for me. Oh well, reading middle grade books as an adult is a bit hit-or-miss and I accept that I am not the target audience here. I don't think I will be reading the second one, but it was still a cute story. ...more
Mehsi
A creepy, haunting middle-grade book, the first in a series, and I definitely want more books.

This one lays the perfect foundation for a whole lot of creepy, spooky stories. I am always on the lookout for new horror/ghost stories, especially in the middle-grade/childrens range. Often those books avoid the scariness or weaken it as the story goes on. But not this one.

Oh no, I was definitely creeped out many times, and even NOPE NOPE NOPEd quite a few times (dang that spider/ghost thing on the wal
Ms. Yingling
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Harper's family moves from New York City to Washington, D.C. and end up in a decrepit old house. Harper has had problems at school-- she was accused of setting fire to the art room, and was hospitalized for some time, but she doesn't remember any of it. She notices that her four-year-old brother Michael's room feels oddly clammy, and he claims to have a "new friend" named Billy who tells him things that cause him to have headaches. Harper does manage to mee
Lisa
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
Disappointing and soulless due to lack of imagination and editorial guidance - expect Disney to option for a series based on the diverse subject matter (ghost-hunting Korean kiddies) because this "book" reads like a teleplay. No flow between choppy action sentences and dialogue exposition. No character descriptions, background info (hey why is your lead named Harper? Inspired by Harper Lee, or musical harp?) A tradition-shying mom (Yuna) names her kids Kelly, Harper and Michael while alienating ...more
Darinda
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Harper and her family have moved to Washington, D.C., and Harper hates their new place. Something is just not right about it. Harper learns her home is supposedly haunted, and starts to have a feeling of déjà vu. As Harper's feeling of unease increase, so does the erratic behavior of her younger brother. Harper is missing some memories, and slowly, some start to return to her as she focuses on helping her brother.

A middle grade ghost story. Fun, spooky, and entertaining. Great for fans of ghost
Cat (cat-thecatlady)
this was a fun read.
I like the scary aspect, although it was a bit predictable and too scary. but the writing was a bit off for me, reading as too childish or too adult at times. still need to gather my thoughts better on this one.

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2017/0...
Hafsa Sabira
I am confused about what I feel about this book. Reading it was like going through an emotional rollercoaster where I wanted to buy it or throw it away in the trashcan. To be honest, it's a pointless novel. I think even the novelist was confused about what to write.

I am just glad that I finished it after promising myself a treat of hot coffee.
Shenwei
I got the creeps reading this 😱😱😱. but on top of the ghost story there's also a story of family, friendship, and a girl coming into herself and her potential. ...more
Jonathan Pongratz
Original Review at Jaunts & Haunts

4.5/5

I gave this novel four and a half stars!

This is my first read by this author, and boy was I blown away!

This book is about a young girl named Harper Raine. Her family has recently moved to DC into this big house, but something is off. Her little brother Michael starts talking to an imaginary friend and acting strangely.

What's going on? Is her house really haunted like people say, or is this all in her head?
I loved this book!

First off, the characters were g
Emily
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"She felt like a piece of her was missing---a piece she couldn't explain."

Spirit Hunters is a middle-grade horror book, and it was an entertaining read! This was a good mysterious ghost story, and I enjoyed reading it. I loved the little dog Pumpkin!

This book relied a little too heavily on dream sequences, and it felt like overkill after a while. I was still interested in the story, though.

If you liked the City of Ghosts books by VE Schwab, this is definitely one you should check out. This was
Abby Johnson
I'm a little bit of a horror wimp, but this book was too scary for me to read at night when my husband wasn't home..!

Harper and her family have just moved into a historic house in Washington DC and Harper hates it. But she's pretty crabby all the time these days. Ever since the accident with the fire at her school that caused her to lose some memories of that time in her life, Harper hasn't felt quite right. There's something else not quite right with this house.

Her little brother Michael seem
Amber J
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1o years old and up
Cute

As always my reviews are based off of my opinion only. I do try to keep any spoilers hidden in spoiler tags and whether I enjoy a book or not I would not wish to discourage anyone from reading a book they think interesting. Our differences are what keeps things interesting.

So I read this book to my daughter and I have to say. I would not recommend this book for children under the age of 10. It had some very gory type scenes and it even swore once. The story itself was some w
Amber K.
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so CREEPY!!! I could NOT put it down and had to know what happens. You will devour this book!
Dee Dee G
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not what I expected. That was intense and fantastic lol.
stefiereads
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear, oh dear. what a book. what an adventure. what a ghost story.
This book!!
WOW!

Kids can be creepy sometimes. But kids and a ghost story. I don't know what would frighten me more. This book has managed to creeped me out a lot. My sleep was not so good (Hence, I warn you, better to not read it at night if you want a good night sleep).

What I really love about this book:
- The atmosphere. It so eerie you can feel it almost immediately.
- It is one of those books that will keep you awake at night, b
The Reading Countess
Ms. B
There are stories with ghosts and spirits that want to befriend you. Sometimes because they are evil and sometimes because they're good. But this book ups the game; (view spoiler)
There's something creepy about the old house that Harper and her family move into in Washington DC. (view spoiler)

• Stormy Seas: Stories of Young Boat Refugees
  • Twelve Days in May: Freedom Ride 1961
  • Speechless
  • Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring
  • The Only Road (The Only Road #1)
  • Drum Roll, Please
  • Nightbooks
  • Becoming Kareem: Growing Up On and Off the Court
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Stef Soto, Taco Queen
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • Nowhere Boy
  • Chester Nez and the Unbreakable Code: A Navajo Code Talker's Story
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
  • The Mighty Odds (The Mighty Odds, #1)
  • How to Avoid Extinction
Ellen Oh is a former adjunct college instructor and lawyer with an insatiable curiosity for ancient Asian history. She loves martial arts films, K-pop, K-dramas, and cooking shows, and is a rabid fan of the Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra series. Ellen is the co-founder of We Need Diverse Books (WNDB), a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing diversity in children’s literature. Ori ...more

Spirit Hunters (2 books)
  • The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)

Articles featuring this book

Ellen Oh is an award-winning author of middle grade and young adult novels such as Spirit Hunters, The Dragon Egg Princess, and A Thousand...
“amazing.” 0 likes
“Your mother always liked to tell people she was from Washington D.C., but technically she is a Marylander.” 0 likes