Start by marking “Tea with Oliver” as Want to Read:
Tea with Oliver

Tea with Oliver

Dear Reader,

Oliver is not like other cats. He likes cookies and tea. Just like me.

I think we will be best friends…if he will just read one of my letters!

Philbert the mouse.
Published August 8th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Tea with Oliver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea with Oliver

Start your review of Tea with Oliver
Danielle
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two tea drinkers destined for friendship, eventually. Adore this one, and all of Philbert's brave attempts to connect.
Racheal
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That's it, I officially don't get people's picture book ratings on this website. There is no justice in this world that XO, OX: A Love Story and One Word from Sophia are rated higher than this. NO JUSTICE.
Julie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This book charmed me with it's gentle ways and lovely illustrations. My favorite line, "And the new friends sit down for a nice cup of tea." I think of the phrase, a nice cup of tea, as being quintessentially British, so I experienced a bit of nostalgia for my home country. In my humble opinion, it is always time for tea :)
Idarah
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
fullsizeoutput_8b0

Such a cute book! Nothing like two shy critters bonding over a nice cuppa!
Laura Drangmeister
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, sweet story! My two year old loves this book so much he recites it all the time. If you're fond of tea, cats, and books featuring special friendships, you'll loves Tea with Oliver!
Becky
First sentence: Oliver talks to himself a lot. It's a nice day for tea, but who will have tea with me?

Premise/plot: Philbert is a shy mouse who LOVES tea. More than anything he wants to be friends with Oliver. Will Oliver ever read one of the letters that Philbert has written him? Will Oliver ever see him? Will these two tea-lovers ever become friends?

My thoughts: Those who know me know at least two things about me: 1) I love, love, love CATS 2) I love, love, love TEA. Tea with Oliver has to be
Tara
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Review also published at kissthebook.blogspot.com

I must admit this was a fairly odd story and it feels a little long as you read it (not the text, just the actual story), but its kind of sweet. I liked both Philbert and Oliver and I appreciated the message that there is a friend out there for everyone. This is about as unexciting a book as one will read these days, however, so its not an essential pick by any means.
Jana
Sometimes you don't have to look very far to find a good friend. Oliver is very lonely and spends most of his time drinking tea by himself in his apartment. Philbert lives under the couch and would very much like to join Oliver for tea. Young readers will enjoy the courage Philbert shows in reaching out to Oliver to let him know that he's not alone. With sweet, whimsical illustrations, this story would be a nice one to share with primary aged students.
Maria Marshall
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
Despite their differences, Philbert is determined to make friends with Oliver and join him for tea. But Philbert's screams andnotes go unnoticed (or misunderstood). So determined, Philbert even wanders into a party ofwild cats to try to get Oliver's attention. Subtly this book is alsoeven perhaps a bit about seeing what is right before you're eyes. Oliver, so desperate to share tea with someone, wades througha riotous party with his tea cups. The "fair weather" guests flee once acatastrophe ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Song, Mika Tea With Oliver. PICTURE BOOK. Harper Collins, 2017. $17.99.

Oliver is an introverted cat who loves tea, and though he would like to share tea time with somebody, he is alone. Philbert the mouse lives under Oliver's couch and he really wants to share tea time with Oliver, but he is too shy to come out and say anything. After a variety of attempts that fail due to timing, unexpected parties, and broken tea cups, Philbert and Oliver finally connect and become tea time friends.

I must
Melanie
Oliver the cat really wants someone to have tea with and Philbert Mouse wants to be that friend. But Philbert has the darndest time trying to get Oliver's attention. Oliver's cousin Lester comes over and wants to have a party instead of tea. That results in the utter destruction of Oliver's tea set. Quickly everyone leaves and Oliver is left bereft at his broken china. Philbert to the rescue! Philbert managed to save 2 teacups! Oliver and Philbert finally are able to have tea together.

Children
Julie
I love that the cat, Oliver, and the mouse, Philbert, can forge a friendship over tea and cookies - once tiny Philbert manages to get Oliver's attention! Particularly endearing are the endpapers, which show all of the little notes Philbert writes to his new friend to encourage him to sit down for a cup of tea. Cute and funny, with adorable illustrations in ink and watercolor by author/artist Mika Song.
Diane
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Oliver is desperate to have tea with someone. Little does he know, that Philbert, the mouse living under the couch, would love to have tea with him. If only Oliver could hear Philbert's request. Or see the notes he keeps trying to send Oliver's way. Will these two friends ever get to have tea?
J
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was adorable, but I needed more from it. I'm not sure what. I think maybe the party should have gone on longer and we should have gotten to know his cousin a bit more. I don't know. Something about this just felt incomplete to me.
Jillian
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
It was very cute! The illustrations were sweet and easy to follow (since a lot of the story is in speech bubbles), and the story itself was really cute. Nice little tale about(ish) social anxiety and having different interests than other friends and family.
Jason
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute story, but how did the mouse know that cat wasn't going to eat him?? He seemed terrified when the party was going on and didn't risk coming out then, so it leads me to suspect that cats may still eat mice in this dimension.
Kelly
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and the story. Oliver is a cat who just wants to have tea with someone, but he's having a hard time finding someone who wants to have tea with him. Philbert is a mouse who wants to have tea with Oliver, but Oliver is not paying attention to the signs.
Jen
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My heart went all over the map with this book. Giggly. Sadness. Elation. Hope.
Brindi Michele
I liked this because despite their difference, cat and mouse find they have something in common :)
Jacki
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Dancing cats are jerks?
Lynn
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet story about friendship and how the best friend may be right under your nose.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A charming, warm and inviting friendship story.
S
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
On writing letters and tea parties that go awry!
Nikki
A sweeter take on the concept in "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."
Bethe
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Delightful story of friendship brewing in its own time. Fun endpages and case cover art.
Meg
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, cats
Sweet, cute illustrations.
Mary
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Some friends do better with tea parties than with more rambunctious events. This is a picture book for introverts!
J
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun and touching story with wonderful pictures.
Cynthia
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this sweet peaceful story of finding friends just when you need them.
Leona
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friends, easy, funny, lap, ps
a cat and mouse want a friend, but keep missing their chances to connect. very sweet and enjoyable and a great opportunity to talk about making new friends, etc.
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover 2 12 Aug 18, 2017 12:02AM

• The Only Fish in the Sea
  • On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
  • Pine & Boof: The Lucky Leaf
  • The Antlered Ship
  • Twig
  • Poe Won't Go
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • In the Middle of Fall
  • Jack and the Beanstalk and the French Fries
  • You Must Bring a Hat
  • The Book of Gold
  • Dude!
  • Nothing Rhymes with Orange
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • A Stone Sat Still