Start by marking “Nobody Real” as Want to Read:
Nobody Real

Nobody Real

The stunning and original new novel of love, sacrifice and the power of the imagination from spoken word artist and acclaimed author of TAPE, Steven Camden. "She's my Marcie. And everyone else can just fall off the earth." Marcie is seventeen and under pressure. Pressure from Mum to go to University. Pressure from Dad to rebel and find her passion. Everyone seems to know w ...more
Published September 4th 2018 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Real

Kayla
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

In this book we follow Maisie as she is struggling with life and who she kinda opens up to his her imaginary friend Thor, who is a boy with Bear Arms.
This story is about losing your childhood and saying goodbye to things that are in the past and moving on with your life.

I fairly enjoyed this book although I don't think it was entirely always entertaini
Candace
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 'The Rest of Us Just Live Here' by Patrick Ness
3.5 stars.

I was sent a copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

TO ALLISA, MY IMAGINARY FRIEND WHEN I WAS 9 YEARS OLD, I’M SORRY I FORGOT ABOUT YOU. I LOVE YOU. THANK YOU FOR BEING COOL.

Anyway.

Nobody Real follows the story of two characters – one who is real, and one who is imaginary – as their paths re-cross after years of distance. Rekindling their friendship is just what they realise they need, unfortunately they don’t have long before they will lose each other again.

Th
SJH (A Dream of Books)
The author Steve Camden is a spoken word artist and it definitely shows in the poetic narrative style of 'Nobody Real. There are a lot of short, detached words and sentences which have a lyrical sway but which didn't make the book particularly easy to read.

The story is told by teenager Marcie and her imaginary friend Thor, who she cast away several years ago and whose time is now running out for good. We see Marcie struggling with family issues and decisions about her future, as she tries to ma
Brooklyn Tayla
This book was so powerful and engaging, every single page had me thinking what could possibly come next and wondering what on earth would happen with Marcie and Thor, like, the latter is an imaginary friend of Marcie, a bear, in fact, yet, he felt so real? It was just incredible!
"Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why would that mean it's not real?" - Dumbledore.
This quote was pretty much circulating throughout my head whilst reading this book, and I imagine that Steven Camde
Hadia
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Synopsis : It's about Marcie, who just finished her school and can't decide what she wants to do next in life. Her Mom abandoned her when she was a kid and she now lives with her aunt Coral and works at her dad's bookstore.

It's about Thor Baker, who is Marcie's imaginary friend with bear hands. She drew him when she was 7 and sends him away at 12 when he causes too much trouble .Thor passes the time doing what he does best, demolishing buildings in the imaginary realm. But when Marcie really ne
Zac
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love stories about imaginary friends and Steven Camden’s new YA book Nobody Real is one of the best. It’s funny, sad and full of imagination.

Thor has the body of a boy but the arms of a bear. He is Marcie’s imaginary friend. Imaginary friends are known for causing trouble but when Thor takes things too far, Marcie sends him away. Thor passes the time doing what he does best, demolishing buildings in the imaginary realm. But when Marcie really needs a friend years later Thor becomes part of he
Anya
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Thank you to NetGalley for sending me this book in return for an honest review. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish this book. I really wanted to enjoy it, the idea of a story written from the perspective of an imaginary friend that is no longer used really appealed to me.
The book is written from the points of view of Thor, a part-boy part-bear imaginary friend and his owner Marcie, who is getting ready to leave for university. The story is about them reconnecting and, whilst I enjoyed reading Marc
Gabrielle
This is the first ever book I read by Steven Camden, and honestly, I found the majority of it pretty boring. That saying it starts to pick up the pace the further into the book you get (i.e. the last 1/4 of the book). But, honestly it didn't really do much. The characters weren't developed that well, it was hard to decipher sometimes who was actually talking and characters are introduced that have literally no backstory or no purpose. Its kinda hard to work out which is sad because this story ha ...more
Emily Price
I loved the concept for this story and thought it was a great idea for a book. In a kind of Drop Dead Fred world where imaginary friends can lurk until called. However, I always felt whilst reading it that I was gripping onto the story for dear life and I really wanted to love it but couldn’t quite follow it or understand it. I was so confused most of the time.
Even the ending, I thought that maybe it would all tie up for me and explain some things but it didn’t.
I very much enjoy stories by Ste
Steph Warren
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Nobody Real is a gritty reboot of the imaginary friend, perfectly pitched at teens and young adults.

It is the emotion that is raw and disturbing here, rather than the actions: Steve Camden has perfectly captured the disastrous, swirlingly chaotic importance of the emotional transition from child to adult in a way that is compellingly real. If you needed tissues for Bing Bong (Inside Out) then y
Aspasia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobody Real My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
ARC kindly provided by Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review
Blurring the lines between reality and the imaginary is a dangerous business, but danger doesn’t always have to be a detriment.
The common catch phrase is that ‘we all have problems’ but if you aren’t real yourself, can your problems be?
Nobody Real is a captivating young adult novel that explores modern society and common teen difficulties through two unique character perspectives. Marcie, is
Erika Muir
ARC kindly provided by Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review

“The real us lives in dark corners” was to me, a message that resonated with me throughout Camden’s novel. By blending the playful and quirky world of imaginary friends with the issues that almost-adult Marcie Baker struggles within reality, ‘Nobody Real’ breaks away from stock standard YA novel tropes and compels its readers to search for themselves even in dark and difficult times.
Marcie Baker is a young, talented girl with
Micha Sevier
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody Real is the story of Marcie, a teenager on the edge of adulthood, and her imaginary friend Thor, who Marcie sent away many years ago. Thor is facing the ‘fade’, when he can no longer exist to Marcie. Macie is finishing her last of her exams when Thor reappears in her life, bringing familiarity and chaos.

This is a really imaginative book that deals with common issues of identity, family and friendship. The narration alternates between Marcie and Thor and uses second person where they refer
Eve beinguniquebooks
Marcie and Thor are a team or so it seems to Marcie. The trouble is, she's real and Thor isn't. Abandoned by her mum and pulling away from her dad who grows distant, Marcie finds herself seeking friendship and comfort and that comes from her old imaginary though up friend Thor, a boy with bear arms, arms of comfort and warmth it seems.

I am unsure whether Marcie is suffering with her own mental health alike her dad whom seems depressed throughout the novel. Marcie does talk with others around her
Joelie
Im disappointed to say that this is my second and final attempt at this book. DNF'd at page 269.
The idea behind the plot sounded really interesting, but I got lost somewhere and nothing was making sense or felt relevant.
There is just something about this story I found confusing and I can't get myself to concentrate enough to care. I put this down months ago and recently found the audio book on Scribd. This made it worse. The audio book Narration is irritating.
I like the fantasy realism genre bu
Shannon Wilson
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shijia
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.75* stars

This was an okay read for me. I was expecting much more and was glad I didn't go into it with high expectations, because I seriously would've been let down.

I haven't read anything by Steven Camden before, and picked this up on a whim because I heard he would by YALC this year. Sadly, this did not do it for me.

The writing was okay. The plot was all over the place. I couldn't really connect to any of the characters. I liked the diversity in the book. Marcie's sexuality was subtle and th
BookishKirsten
The premise of this book was great but it just didn't live up to it, sadly. It's told switching between two first person perspectives both of which address the other character in the second person, and that literary device just doesn't work - it ends up being confusing. And it has the thing I haaaate of a first person narrator being unreliable by just not thinking about a crucial bit of knowledge they have so it gets saved as a 'twist' for the reader. But that is just a personal bugbear of mine. ...more
Abby Curtis
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Nobody Real" was a very interesting novel. At first, I thought the whole concept was a little weird because of Thor, the imaginary friend. This book doesn't tell you the setting or the scenario in which the characters are really going through. You as the reader get to find out these things along the way. New, exciting, unexpected pieces of the story unravel throughout the entire book, even until the very last page.

The plot was simple but very intriguing. I enjoyed the characters and creativene
Kathleen
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The situation/setting of this novel is intriguing __ an imaginary friend and his creator recross paths after many years. The psychological counseling sessions for Thor, who is about to fade, were a nice touch. Nevertheless, I was not interested by Marcie or Thor or the plot line. Katherine Applegate's CRENSHAW ( a story with some similarities but for middle-graders ) packed more emotional power.
Kerrie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook-reads
2.5 - 3 stars, I can't fully commit!
I listened to this on audiobook, so that could play a part in my struggle to follow the plot but I've heard many people say that too. I liked the flow, rhyme and style of the writing, hence why I kept listening but if anyone asked me the plot I would be completely unable to say more than 'it's about out growing imaginary friends'.

I really liked the concept but I feel the story would be better with a stronger plot.
Sana Burton
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steven Camden has a really interesting writing style. You can tell he was a poet first. I'm not sure if I mean that as a compliment or a criticism - when it works, it works well, but it can make it a little hard to keep track of characters and events (I kept getting confused between Cara and Coral).
Yvette
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
received this in a book box. i've never heard of this book before, so i was pretty much going in blind. blew me away. the words have a way of stealing into you, and you don't realise it until you are crying for the things you've had to let go.
Demi
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book, something I wouldn't normally read but I loved how differently it was written to normal texts. It included problems without explicitly mentioning them and bought the reader into the world of an 18 year old with their future ahead of them.
Violet
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confusing but awesome !!!
Rhona Mitchell Tennant
So wonderful. I wish I had someone like Thor as I was growing up.

Reminded me of the beauty of imagination and the power of myself. Just loved it.
Maryjo
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. The plot was weak and way too slow. I didn’t connect with the characters, either. The ending was moving, but there was no buildup and I had stopped caring by that point.
Stephanie Lam
A lackluster novel. The writing and prose was beautiful, but the plot line and actual story was cliched and tropey (not in a good way).
Jesse-Brett Atkinson
He is just brilliant.

• Twilight of the Elves (The Adventurers Guild #2)
  • Girl in the Window
  • Encounters
  • Flying Tips for Flightless Birds
  • Stranger
  • Hoot & Olive: Brave Enough For Two
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 5: Field Trippin'
  • Dark Satanic Mills
  • Thief of Happy Endings
  • If I Fall (Circle and Cross, #1)
  • We See Everything
  • The Lost Witch
  • Cookiesaurus Rex
  • This Story Is for You
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • My Side of the Diamond
  • Outwalkers
  • The Book of Gold
Steven Camden is one of the most acclaimed spoken-word artists in the country. As Polarbear, he has performed extensively around the UK and internationally. He also writes plays, teaches storytelling in schools, and was a lead artist for Ministry of Stories and The Roundhouse poetry collective.