Start by marking “Thunder (Thunder: An Elephant's Journey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thunder (Thunder: An Elephant's Journey, #1)

Read Book

Thunder

(Thunder: An Elephant's Journey #1)

A young African pygmy elephant must confront his fears to fulfill a dream and become a legend ….

Thunder, a young pygmy forest elephant, sets out on a journey to find his mother after he escapes capture from poachers. With danger at every turn in the central African jungle, he must face his fears to survive. With the help of some unlikely friends: Soma, a cranky rhino; Fred
Published March 7th 2017 by World Castle Publishing (first published November 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder

Evelyn Wheeler
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for children to read.
I am a retired teacher of 36 years in the Chicago Public School system.
I was always looking and searching for good books for my students to read.
As a young teacher I started out with book reports where I gave my own questions.
Later I started using Accelerated Reader in which the students read a book and the program provided the questions. I want this book to be on their list.
I received an advance copy of "Thunder" from the publisher.
I wished every s
Fran
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Thunder: An Elephant’s Journey

Although the characters within this novel are animals young teens and middle school children can learn many lessons. When a young elephant is born into a tribe and the celebrations have been completed the mother is responsible to teach the child survival skills. As the mother rejoices and names her new born child Thunder she begins teaching him as other mothers do how to communicate with his tribe, how to understand danger and what happens when you find yourself in
Erik Shein
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hello

Here is a link from readers Choice book reviews for our novel Thunder An Elephants Journey,

Book Review
Reviewed by Mamta Madhavan for Readers' Favorite 5 star
Thunder: An Elephant’s Journey by Erik Daniel Shein and L.M. Reker is an adorable story that revolves around a young pygmy forest elephant, Thunder, who is on a mission to find his mother, Serenity, after escaping from poachers. Thunder, along with Penelope the Parrot, escapes when their vehicle
Robert N.
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thunder, an African pygmy elephant and his herd are taken by poachers the animals call uprights. When the poacher, Drago, tries to take him away separately, with Penelope, a parrot, the transport vehicle crashes releasing Thunder and Penelope with it. They rush into the jungle to find safety until they can find his herd. While there, Thunder gets stuck in a hole that only Soma, the rhino can help him out of. Soma has a few friends of her own, three egrets who keep her company. When Soma rescues ...more
Carla
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thunder: An Elephant’s Journey by author Erik Daniel Shein is a cute children’s book that should please young readers and educate them on animal struggles in the rainforest in a non-threatening way. Thunder, a young elephant with a huge heart, gets separated from his mother and his elephant herd. Along the way back to find his mother, Thunder meets various animals in the rainforest, including a friendly butterfly, talking monkeys, Penelope the Parrot, a flamingo, bats, egrets, and a rhinoceros. ...more
Mercedes
Trials and Tribulations and Amazing Story

There comes a time, when a book relates to some of the issues and emotions. You are facing in daily life abandonment loss hope believing but have ever thought in a million years animals may face the same emotions, and experience some of the same things humans do this book will make you think some of these animals may experience the same emotions as we do Erik Shein does a brilliant job showing you this though Thunder and his unlikely friends eye a powerfu
Mary Nickum
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC for Thunder an Elephants Journey, the novel. I read it and was immediately in love with the main character, Thunder, a pygmy elephant and his clan. The poaching made my blood boil. How could such innocent species be captured and/or killed just for being available? This needs to be made into a movie to tell the world this is happening to many species that are in decline, threatened or in danger of extinction. Thunder would make an excellent mascot for a movement against poaching ...more
Fiona
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful and sad story of unconditional love!
I received an Advanced reader copy from the publishers mailing list. Thunder an elephant journey is a masterful blend of whimsy, humor, gentle satire, and life-and-death drama, I cried when Soma passed, this happens every day in Africa, and when Thunder reunited with his mother was priceless its make you wonder how important family is, and how good friends are like guardian Angels going to look for other books by Erik Shein recommended grad
Kiana
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You will cheer and cry happy tears at the end

Thunder an Elephants Journey is a story of loss, love hope and redemption and this type of story is so rare in middle grade fiction my kids and I choked up on several occasions, but it's important to teach our children the power of books. The story will make you think and maybe want to change the world for the better. This novel will become a classic in the company of such greats as charlotte’s web, hope to learn more about this author in the future.
Elizabeth Neal
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thunder is brought into the world on a stormy night with his herd surrounding him and his Mother. I think the authors beautifully captured the emotions that elephants have been proven to feel in regards to each other.

As Thunder grows older, he and his herd face danger which leads to Thunder's journey to be reunited with his Mother. Along the way he meets other species, making new friends.

I highly recommend this book for others to read. I experienced a wide range of emotions as I experienced Thun
Madisyn
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a lesson in this book and a powerful message!!
Elephants are disappearing because of human greed and selfishness. Thunder the pigmy elephant can become the mascot for stop poaching all together. There are powerful messages of love hope and to let go of your fears in this book, the lesson is look around you and do not take anything in your life for granted or it can be taken away in a blink of an eye!!! Recommended!!!
Elissa Daye
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has the feels! If you love animals and their hilarious personalities, you will love this book. I absolutely fell in love with Soma, the rhino, and her protective gloomy personality. She is jaded by the world. Thunder is her complete opposite. Positive, innocent, upbeat, and brave. This is a book that children of all ages will love. Even those that are kids at heart. Definitely recommend!
Clarissa
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pigmy Elephants are so amazing!!
I received an advanced readers copy form the publisher being a parent of 2 daughters ages 5 and 7 we try to do story time as much as we can, they really loved this book and googled Pigmy elephants we never knew they were even real how cute are they half the size of a African elephant the story is so accurate even The surfing hippo, we do not know hippos enjoy the ocean and the beach, A must read for all ages!!
Rosemary Hendry
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
This book is about an elephant who lived happily in the jungle with many other animals Thunder learns many things as he is separated from his family . Through out this story you see how he faces many things in search of his mother. It tells of poachers and a girl that is in danger trying tosave her dog. This is a tear jerker book but I think a very good one to read with children. the writing is awesome in this book
Izabella
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pigmy Elephants are so amazing!!

I received an advanced readers copy form the publisher being a parent of 2 daughters ages 5 and 7 we try to do story time as much as we can, they really loved this book and googled Pigmy elephants. we never knew they were even real how cute are they half the size of a African elephant the story is so accurate even The surfing hippo, we do not know hippos enjoy the ocean and the beach, A must read for all ages!!
Hayden
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You will experience all emotions in this book!
When Thunders family was poached I needed a box of tissues. This is the kind of book that you hold to your heart when you finish it and then place reverently on a shelf to await the next reading. It is the kind of book that you will treasure and recommend to others.... this book is for everyone.
Lesly
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great original Story!!

This Novel is a life learner, it teaches challenges lessons and is highly impressive with dialogue, humor, and strong family values. You feel like you are there going through. Thunders ups and downs, and feeling his emotions, I enjoyed this book!! Going to ass it to my reader’s collection when it comes out!!
Kiley
A Wonderful book!

Elephants never forget, but they do forgive! We all make choices in life the story is written though the eyes and emotions of the animals this book makes you think of what is happening in your daily life, and what is most important. A must for any reader’s collection.
Kelly
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a delightful story. The characters come alive with personality. I've always been fond of animal stories told from the animals POV and this one doesn't disappoint.
Susan Ritter
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a beautiful story! Love, adventure, suspense, and some sadness. The author takes you into a wonderful world of characters. I also thought the illustrations were amazing!
Jordan
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thunder An Elephant’s Journey, is a book about animals so if you’re an animal lover this book is perfect for you. This book is about an elephant named Thunder who has to go on a journey to find his parents. On the way he meets some friends. One of them is a Rhino named Soma. The other is a parrot named Penelope. But he also meets some unfriendly people one person in particular who wants to sell him for money.
My opinion on this book is that it is a family book to read. This book teaches us a les
Michele
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended reading for all ages

Note: I'm not your typical kids book reader.

Review:
I enjoyed reading this book. The friendships created were easy and plentiful, much like how children make friends. There were the happiest of moments, scary moments, and very sad moments. This book takes you through all of the emotions. Yes, I even caught myself sniffling and needing a tissue.

While reading this tale, I kept picturing the animals talking to each other in cartoon form in my head. I hope this beco
Jenn
I was super excited that I received this through a giveaway because elephants are my favorite animals and I thought it would be a good book to read to the little ones for bedtime. But I thought this book was okay. I felt it read more of an lower middle grade book. Not sure how the older kids would like reading it. I like that the story brings some awareness when it comes to the elephants and poaching. I liked the general idea of the story.
I had issues with it too. I didn’t like how it jumped or
Sydney
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply an incredible narrative through the eyes of an elephant. With great insight into the issues facing elephants and the ways in which humans intersect those issues is absolutely incredibly written for children just being introduced to the issues of endangered species, conservation, and environmental consciousness.
Sara
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a fabulous "animal lit" read! Middle Grade kiddos and their parents will love Thunder and his story. Teaching kids about conservation and animal rights through this lovely first-person animal perspective story is so important, and families and educators alike will enjoy Thunder. I look forward to the two other books coming out in this trilogy!
Michelle Mauer
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story. Not only does it tell you the dangers in Africa, but also that friends don't always have to be the same. Yes, this story is for children, BUT I think adults should read it also. We tend to forget that differences is what makes friends even better.

The characters are animals, but they are funny! We all need to laugh!! I will encourage everyone to read this story!!
Angelle Barbazon
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I totally judge books by their covers, and Thunder has an absolutely STUNNING cover! And best of all, the story under it is equally wonderful. Erik Daniel Shein has written a truly beautiful book that should be in every child's home library. Bravo!
Kevenn
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC copy of this book & found it to be full of delightful characters, fun encounters, & moving moments. Thunder, a sweet young elephant, seeks to be reunited with his mother after their herd encounters danger.

I especially enjoyed Penelope the parrot, the gray companion that accompanies Thunder for most of his journey. As the gruff rhinoceros, Soma, warms up to Thunder, we the readers warm up to her and her trio of egrets who are along for the ride.

The selfish hunter, Drag
Joann Buchanan
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful quick journey filled with highs and low. The prose in this book read like poetry from the description of the jungles to the feel of the air, I felt like every word breathed life. Thunder, an elephant who was taken from his mother by poachers. By telling this story from the animals point of view it brought me deep into the world of poaching and the fear animals deal with. Even though this story has animals talking, children will learn a lot about their behavior. I had to lau ...more
Missy Duhr
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thunder was such a wonderful read. My children loved it! They learned about poaching of elephants in a kid-friendly way. Comical, tear-jerking, action packed, Thunder has everything. This is the tale of an elephant who is poached by the uprights(humans) and when he is taken away escapes when the truck crashes. Then Thunder picks himself up and begins his quest to find his mom and his herd.

Thunder meets some amazing animals along the way. A surfing hippo, a flighty flamingo, a rhino who is his p
Erik Daniel Shein was born Erik Daniel Stoops, November, 18th 1966 He is an American writer, Pet enthusiast and animal health advocate .

Thunder: An Elephant's Journey (4 books)
  • Footprints in the Sand (Thunder: An Elephant's Journey, #2)
  • Hope Haven (Thunder: An Elephant's Journey, #3)
  • Tusker (Thunder: An Elephant's Journey #4)