Start by marking “Bertie's Gift” as Want to Read:
Bertie's Gift

Bertie's Gift

For fans of Alfie the Doorstep Cat and A Streetcat Named Bob, this is the heart-warming, inspirational story of a loving, cheeky little dog who brings a family in crisis together over Christmas.

Bertie is alone, devastated after his beloved sister and fellow beagle Molly is adopted, leaving him behind. When Bertie is taken in by the Green family, it seems he's finally f

Published October 20th 2016 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Bertie's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bertie's Gift

Emer (A Little Haze)
Okay so I've read my first Christmassy book for this year...
in November.....
Please don't judge me!!! I can't help it. I'm just such a Christmas junkie!!!!!!!!

Although, I must confess that there was but one reason, and one reason alone, that I read this book: there's a picture of a dog on the front. Yup. I AM that person. I didn't even read the blurb when I saw this sitting on the new releases shelf in my local library. I just saw the dog and said 'thank you, I'll be having that!!!!!'

So this w
Lynn Mccarthy
I loved this book! For anyone looking for a festive, cosy, lovely read, this ticks all the boxes - it left me feeling heart warmed and happy (although I did shed a few tears along the way!) Bertie is such a lovely little chap - I enjoyed reading about him, and his relationship with his sister Molly, so much. Highly recommended!

Thank you Netgalley the Author and Publisher for a chance to read this book
Nicki
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet book this is! I’m so glad that I accepted a copy from the publisher when there was a shout out for bloggers on Twitter recently.

I haven’t read a book told by an animal for such a log time, and this really was a delightful book to reacquaint myself with this genre. I fell in love with Bertie who was such a scamp. I mean how can you not succumb to that face, and those gorgeous pleading eyes on the cover? I loved his antics, his descriptions and excitement at the different smells in th
Bookread2day
For lovers of A Streetcat Named Bob and A Gift from Bob, here is the perfect Christmas tale of one spirited little puppy bringing a family back together.
The author Hannah Coats has always loved dogs she grew up surrounded by pooches, and now has two of her own. She loves all dogs, but beagles remains her favourite. I love cats and dogs too I love reading about them in novels.
Mandy Baggot
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a simply adorable read. I fell in love with cute beagle Bertie from the very first chapter. When Bertie and his pals (including sister Molly) are left at the dog shelter it seems their Christmas is set to be a sad one. But then along comes the Green family who are going through a sad patch of their own. Can Bertie mend their broken hearts or will his inability to keep out of trouble see him sent straight back to the pound?

The writing was spot on. You really felt you were in the head of
Catarina
Um livro muito leve onde retrata as aventuras de um beagle na procura da sua irmã.
Uma familia destruída que precisava de um amigo especial para os reunir.
Amei. E este livro prova o quanto os beagles são especiais,
Elizabeth Lawson
Berties Gift

Light, cheery reading, good easy read for a cold winter day all snuggled on the sofa. Seeing the world through the eyes of a mischievous beagle
Jen
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertie the Beagle lives with his sister who he dotes upon, and a rag-tag troop of dogs with Old Man Minton. They used to have a loving existence when his wife was alive, but since she passed away, Old Man Minton began to resent the dogs more each day. When Bertie and one of the older dogs do some damage to one of Old Mrs Minton’s dresses, the old man has had enough and carts the dogs to the nearest shelter. Bertie is devastated when he and his sister are first of all separated at the shelter and ...more
Maria Carmo
A lovely, vivacious little dog who manages to save a family at the same time as he bewitches the reader!

A simple but interesting plot, wonderful characters /not just the Human ones, also the "four legged ones"! A story no one will forget and that would turn out into a perfect movie for dog lovers (and cat lovers) of all ages!!!!!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 29 June 2017.
Carrie-anne
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have dogs or you're a fan of dogs you will love this book! I have a Labrador so when reading about Jethro and Biscuit I could totally relate and couldn't stop laughing in regards to their antics. I loved the bond between Bertie and Molly, I also volunteer at a local cat shelter and again could relate and had so much empathy towards the dogs at the shelter. Overall a great read and a great ending.
Amanda
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that when I first read the synopsis of this book I wasn’t sure that I would be strong enough to read it.  I know, I know I am a big softie but when it comes to dogs it doesn’t take me long to start crying if I see or read something happening to one.  I have two loopy Labradors girlies myself and it bothers me if anything bothers them so to speak.  Then I told myself that I had to be strong and that it was fiction.  Armed with a box of tissues and a bar of chocolate (my comfort food) ...more
Joan
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertie is a kind-hearted and well-meaning beagle dog, if a little naughty and high spirited at times. After all, he is a very young dog and all beagles are full of energy. He misses his sister Molly terribly after they are separated when different families adopt them from the local shelter. He yearns to find his softhearted sister and rescue her from her new home after seeing her mean looking new owner when she was chosen for adoption. He thinks she will be mistreated and this breaks his little ...more
Jo Barton
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It must be said that I fell in love with Bertie from the beginning of this charming story which shares all that's good, and sometimes, bad about pet ownership.

The story starts off quite grim with Bertie and his sister Molly sharing a rather unpleasant existence with a number of other dogs and living with an owner who, since his wife died, can't really be bothered about any of them. When the dogs are taken to an animal shelter to be re-homed you can't help but form an emotional attachment to this
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Meet Bertie the beagle and his siblings as he journeys through life's struggles and triumphs. This is a book told from his point of view and is written for adults. Cute, adorable and a very engaging read. I was rooting for Bertie and his brothers and sisters and was concerned, happy and sad for them. An interesting idea and perfect for dog fans. If you aren't one, this will make you fall in love with the cute protagonists and is a very emotional book. Very good life lessons told from a dog's poi ...more
Martha Dunlop
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an irresistibly cute book that is beautiful for both adults and children. Bertie the main character is irresistible (and not just because he shares my own puppy’s name!).

It tells the story of a beagle who is separated from his sister after his owner dies, and is adopted by a family who is grieving. Bertie makes friends with the cats in his new home and takes it upon himself to find his sister, and bring his family happiness again.

I loved the story. It was a gentle and uplifting feel go
SALLY WHITE
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. Although this is a Chrstmassy feeling book, I have just read it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the photo of Bertie on the front. I is definitely a feelgood book with a story running through it and I do actually work with dogs in a doggy day care centre so this book had an added appeal for me. An uplifting read.

Siân Jones
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute little read. I loved reading the story from Bertie the dogs perspective and as a dog owner to the cutest, most loving and mischievous cockapoo it made me wonder even more so what goes through his little mind. A nice easy read with a heart warming feeling.
Angela Peixoto
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story for everybody that loves animals and not only....
Johanna
An easy, lovely, cosy read. Exactly what I needed on Boxing Day!
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotional and adorable I think are the key words to describe Bertie's Gift. Written from Bertie's point of view, we are taken on a harrowing tail of his long term owner's grief, a dog shelter and then his new home...

He has always been close to his sister Molly, but when they are taken to the dog shelter, the two loveable beagles are split up and adopted by two very different families. All Bertie wants is to be reunited with his beloved sister.

And in trying to find her, he enlists the help of so
Louise
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been saving this book for a while now because I knew it would be the perfect Christmas read. If you're feeling frazzled by last-minute shopping trips and over-excited children, make yourself a nice hot chocolate and lose yourself in the world of Bertie the beagle.

The book is written by Bertie himself (they're very clever those beagles!). He starts his life with his little sister Molly by his side but things go horribly wrong and the two end up separated. There are lots of other dogs in the
Kim
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read, own
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway

This is a lovely heartwarming book about a cheeky little beagle called Bertie who once has been rehomed is trying to heal a hurt in his new adoptive family, causing mischief along the way.

The story flows well and I was eager to learn what was happening next with Bertie and friends.

This reminded me of stories similar to Babe, I think it may be the talking animals.

A great story for children and adults alike
Flaminia Carolini
Simpatico e commovente allo stesso tempo. Un libro che mette in evidenza l'amore di un cane per il proprio umano.
Stephen Clynes
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow Bertie the beagle in his various quests with other dogs, a pair of cats and pet owners. Oh and this is also a book about Christmas!

I found Bertie’s Gift to be a warm, cosy read. The whole story is told from Bertie’s point of view. But Bertie doesn’t go “Woof! Woolf!” because his vocabulary is very good indeed. This is not a children’s book and is told in an adult way. I liked the focus on Bertie and all those doggy things that are so important to him. His relationships with pet owners is
Ella (The Story Collector)
Can one dog bring a family back together in time for Christmas?

Well, we already know the answer to that question is “yes”. But, to be fair, it’s not entirely predictable how.

In this festive tale, Bertie the beagle is separated from his sister and adopted into a family struggling with grief. It’s a challenging time for Bertie, as he fights to get his sister back and bring his new family together.

Now, I have always struggled with stories told from the point of view of pets (for this reason, I neve
Charmaine Saliba
I really enjoyed this lovely novel. I love dogs and I found myself engaged to the story, it was really cute reading it through the dog’s perspective. It is a fast-paced story and I found myself smiling at Bertie’s mischievous. It is a heart-warming novel, ideal for the Christmas season.
Bertie is heartbroken when he was separated from his sister Molly. He can’t forgive himself for letting her down. When he was adopted by the Green’s family, he vowed to find Molly no matter what, he must save her
Smitha
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute, adorable, feel good book. Bertie and Molly are brother and sister and are living with a grumpy elderly man. The dogs were his wife's who had passed away and struggling with his own grief he drops off the dogs at the dogs shelter.

Bertie and Molly, who had always been together, are separated and get sent to different homes. Bertie finds himself with a family which is already home to two grumpy cats and a very sad little boy. The family is struggling to stay together after a loss of their o
Maggie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertie the beagle and his sister Molly, along with three other dogs become to much for Mr Minton after his wife (who was the 'doggy' person) died so they ended up in the animal shelter. Bertie is devastated to be separated from Molly & heartbroken when she is adopted. He soon finds a home with Sam, his dad and his granny, although all is not well in the household. Bertie tries to cheer everyone up whilst finding Molly although he can't seem to help getting into trouble!

Told from Bertie's poi
Victoria Brown
As I read this book, I was convinced I would only rate this book with two stars. However, the heartwarming outcome is perfect for Christmas Eve, so I'll give it three stars.

I doubt I would read this book if not for the festive time of year. Set from the perspective of Bertie the beagle, the book is often a frustrating read as he cannot communicate with his owners. For the vast majority of the book, the protagonist has little agency in the events, and very little seems to happen. The pace is only
Clare Wood