Start by marking “Beren and Lúthien” as Want to Read:
Beren and Lúthien

Beren and Lúthien

(Middle-Earth Universe)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  3,680 Ratings  ·  565 Reviews
Restored from Tolkien’s manuscripts and presented for the first time as a fully continuous and standalone story, the epic tale of Beren and Lúthien will reunite fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Humans, Dwarves and Orcs and the rich landscape and creatures unique to Tolkien’s Middle-earth. The tale of Beren and Lúthien was, or became, an essential ...more
Published June 1st 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Beren and Lúthien, please sign up.
Liz I'm not sure what you mean, Christopher Tolkien has been studying and releasing his father's work basically his entire life, there is no newly written…moreI'm not sure what you mean, Christopher Tolkien has been studying and releasing his father's work basically his entire life, there is no newly written material here, though perhaps some that has never been published. The story of Beren and Luthien was already told in appendices and the Silmarillion, this is more of a microscope view, looking at original drafts of the story through several re-writes, to see how it changed. One of the ways it changed is that Beren was originally an elf, one of the Noldor, then was a nobody human, and finally became the son of mighty human warrior and one of the original elf-friends, in order to tie the story in to the overall arc revolving around the Silmarils. This is the original story, ROTK is an echo, the last of the 3 mortal/immortal pairings, none of which are in The Hobbit (unless you're referring to Peter Jackson's movie, which is not canon). (less)
Cavak Yes and no to both questions.

Yes and no to both questions.

It's something of an origin story for several concepts within Tolkien's vast Middle-Earth lore. Parts of this book are taken from another bigger origin story for the world, The Silmarillion. So the significance of Christopher's painstaking bookkeeping may be lost on you if you only read this book.

On the other hand, reading this book will be firsthand exposure to one of many legends that is referenced even within The Lord of The Rings films. And it has the added real-world bonus for charting Tolkien's multiple revisions of this same legend, a sort of educational report for aspiring writers of all ages.

It's a teensy sampling of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. If you aren't familiar with Tolkien and don't fancy a novel length venture on the first go, try this as a starting place.(less)

Ana
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tolkien enthusiasts
 photo luthien beren lord of the rings_zpsxqtn24rf.jpg

Proceed with caution. Spoilers lie ahead.

Brace yourselves- I'm going full nerd. This is finally happening! Our beloved characters from The Silmarillion are coming back into our lives and our bookshelves. Yes. Beren, Lúthien, Thingol, Melian, Finrod Felagund, Huan, sons of Fëanor, Morgoth, The Valar and others are poised to make a comeback. *does the happy dance*

Beren was a legendary hero of the royal House of Bëor. Lúthien was a legendary elven princess, the most beautiful of all the Children
Bookdragon Sean
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Straight from the pages of The Silmarillion, this tale has been given new authority and the chance to stand on its own.

And such a story it is. It’s about a mortal man who fell in love with an immortal elf. Unlike the romance between Aragorn and Arwen in The Lord of the Rings this relationship foregrounds the narrative: it is the narrative. Given an absolutely impossible task to prove his devotion, no less than stealing a Silmaril from the crown of Melko (Morgoth- the first dark lord), Beren sets
Adrian
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hmm, a difficult job to review this book. I felt it was a cross between wonderful 5 star Tolkien storytelling and occasionally tough going almost repetitive storytelling, but the Tolkien verse and prose won out and whilst not 5 stars, I do think it scrapes (nay, merits) 4 stars.

I shall write more on the morrow when the sun shineth on our fair land

Ok, so after a stupidly long day of work, I feel that i ought to write the rest of my review before I loose the thread.

I was going to say I'm a real T
Michael Galdamez
When I first saw this online:

Then this happened:

Now I am content.

... Unless there are any more stories good ol' Christopher can pull together for us!
Kevin Kuhn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have great admiration for JRR Tolkein, his imagination seems endless and his commitment to his craft was incredible. It's clear his son Christopher has a genuine love of his father's work and treats it with respect and care. His commentary is excellent and interesting. When I was 9 or 10 The Hobbit solidified my love of reading. I found it at the library on my own and felt like I uncovered the world's greatest treasure. After speaking with the librarian she informed me there were three more bo ...more
Jo (An Unexpected Bookish Geek)
I consider myself a huge Tolkien fan, and,the world we all know as Middle Earth, you could say, it is my second home. If one wished to go a step further, you could also day, that The Lord of the rings changed my life, in a profound way.
When I think of Tolkien, or he gets a mention somewhere, I immediately think "Gandalf" He is my favourite character from Middle Earth, and really, that mighty staff he carries says it all.

I was most excited to get my hands on this little beauty of a book, and I'm
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Stars!

Is it 2017 yet?
Evripidis Gousiaris
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ο κόσμος του Tolkien έχει ξεχωριστή θέση στην καρδία μου (και στην βιβλιοθήκη μου). Είναι το παράθυρο διαφυγής μου. Οπότε όταν ανακοινώθηκε πέρυσι τον Οκτώβριο το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο ανυπομονούσα για την στιγμή που θα έφτανε στα χέρια μου.

Η Ιστορία είναι η γνωστή ιστορία του Beren και της Luthien όπου αναπτύσσεται και στο Silmarillion. Η διαφορά είναι ότι η συγκεκριμένη έκδοση περιλαμβάνει όλες της μορφές της ιστορίας, από την σύλληψη της ιδέας μέχρι την "τελική" της μορφή. Ο Tolkien ξανάγραψε
Kevin Futers
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Part of me wanted to go five stars, another part of me wanted to go to one.

The disappointment is simple: with The Children of Hurin we were given a single narrative without break or comment. That is what I had assumed we had here. We don't.

Now I loved the different versions of the story, but it just felt like going over old ground. This has all been printed before, either as The Silmarillion, The Book of Lost Tales (in two volumes) or The History of Middle Earth (in three volumes).

I would hav
Kate
Dec 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tolkien, fantasy
My obvious excitement for the content aside -- look at that cover! Luthien Tinuviel, fair and valiant astride her wolfhound steed, reaches down to tenderly reassure her human lover before riding off to dropkick evil in the face.

That's my girl.
Madison
Well, look at that!!

description

I'm so excited by the cover and the description!

description

Plus, it's going to be published about 100 years after Tolkien started writing it, which is very neat. AND, the names of the two main characters, Beren and Luthien, were each written on Tolkien's and his wife's graves (respectively), which is very VERY neat. If this piece of work meant that much to them, it definitely deserves to be read.
Melora
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
You'll want to take my comments on this one with more than a grain of salt, as I have trouble being objective when it comes to Tolkien, and the story of Beren and Luthien hits me in a soft spot (my younger brother's middle name is Beren, and my sister's is Lorien -- Tolkien was big in my family). This is one of the stories that Sam Gamgee might have been referring to when he and Frodo are traveling to Mount Doom and Sam talks about the adventures in the great legends,

”Folk seem to have just land
Els
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*sniffly shipping*
This, my friends, is a real romance. ‘Bout the only love story I’ve ever enjoyed reading. Full review may come eventually, when I’m not expending all my energies writing essays to get me into college. One note: This book is a compilation of EvERy sINgLe VErsIon of the story, collected after Tolkien’s death. It gets REALLY rEAlLy repetitive if you read it straight through. So I started in January, and read one version at a time about two weeks apart, in which time I forgot ever
Manisha
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
*sighs happily*

Lovely. 💕

RTC.
Scott  Hitchcock
I'm not going to give this stars because I didn't end up reading it. I'm super happy I didn't buy it and waited for the library to get it. At $16.99 for the Kindle edition it's a complete jip. The first 10% of the book is author's notes about his father's notes. The last 18% is the appendix with more references. So that's over a quarter of the book gone on a 304 pages book which again costs $17. I started browsing the stories and found I already knew a lot of them from all the other works at lea ...more
Marquise
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
One hundred years back, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien began to create this story while on leave from the WWI trenches. I suppose he had no idea he'd became practically the God of Fantasy a few decades later, and likely didn't imagine he'd leave incomplete this lovely story of "heroic epic and high romance" as he described his favourite stories to write, as it sadly happened.

It would be left to his son Christopher to roll up his sleeves and start the titanic labour of parsing through the pile of manu
E.F.B.
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Tolkien fans
Great read! Definitely not for those trying Tolkien for the first time, but for those who have read “The Hobbit”, “The Lord of the Rings”, and “The Silmarillion” (Or if not the entire Silm, you still need to at least read the story of Beren and Luthien so you have enough familiarity with it to recognize and appreciate the changes it went through), it should be enjoyable.

It’s important to note that this “Beren and Luthien” book isn’t like “The Children of Hurin” book which is a longer, more compl
Lyubov
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Вместо епиграф тази книга би трябвало да има в началото си следното разяснение:

Внимание, читателю незнаен,
ако не си толкинов фен всеотдаен,
не чети, че ще гинеш от скука в шубрак потаен.
Larnacouer  de SH
Jun 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Ya resmen! 😍
Vivian
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-odyssey, fantasy
A labor of love. Not just Beren's feats to win Lúthien, but also Christopher Tolkien for his father and his apparently enormous oeuvre. This is an archivist's weaving of the fragments of the tale of Beren and Lúthien from a selection of separate works to relay the most complete, yet, not rewritten telling of this love story.

The verse in the various cantos and Quenta is lyrical, mesmerizing, and beautiful. While the publisher pushed Tolkien for prose and the result, The Lord of the Rings, is won
Sotiris Karaiskos
Ίσως η ομορφότερη από τις ιστορίες του J.R.R. Tolkien που υπάρχουν στο Silmarilion είναι αυτή του έρωτα του Beren και της Lúthien. Μία ιστορία αγάπης που συγκινεί όλους τους θαυμαστές του έργου του και της φαντασίας γενικότερα. Αυτό εδώ το βιβλίο μας παρουσιάζει με μεγάλη λεπτομέρεια όλο το χρονικό της δημιουργίας της. Από την απλή, σχεδόν παιδική, πρώτη της εκδοχή, σε μία ενδιάμεση έμμετρη εκδοχή της, μέχρι την τελική μορφή της, μαζί με πλήθος πληροφοριών, σημειώσεων, μικρών αποσπασμάτων και δι ...more
Eℓℓis ♥
Una romantica fiaba alla maniera di Tolkien, arricchita dalle splendide illustrazioni di Alan Lee.
Javir11
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lo primero de todo que deberíais de saber es que para leer y disfrutar de este libro hay que ser un gran seguidor de Tolkien. Lo digo porque sino se te puede hacer un poco de bola, a mí, gustándome Tolkien ya se me ha hecho algo repetitivo, imagínate si no te gusta.

Lo mejor de esta lectura es poder disfrutar de la leyenda de Beren y Lúthien en todo su esplendor y profundidad. Además de la historia ya conocida, podremos leer la versión original, así como otras versiones, incluyendo alguna en vers
Luke
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I gave this review one star in a (probably doomed) attempt to pull the rating down to reflect the disappointment many readers are doubtless going to feel when they realize that this book is not what they were expecting to get. I was very much looking forward to an enriched and expanded version of the beautiful story in The Silmarillion, such as what we received with The Children of Hurin ten years ago. Unfortunately, this is not that.

I'm reluctant to criticize Christopher Tolkien at this point,
☙ percy ❧
Jun 03, 2017 marked it as put-down-for-now
Shelves: _jrr-tolkien
OHMY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD BEREN AND LUTHIEN ARE MY FAVOURITE TOLKIEN CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME
Alyssa
Oct 21, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Beren and Luthien is being published in 2017! 100 years after Tolkien wrote their story!
Kirsti
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
While I definitely class myself as a huge fan of J.R.R. Tolkien and the world he brought to life in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, I have to say I found this book oddly disconcerting. I wanted more a story structure and less of interruption from Christopher Tolkien explaining context and comparing texts. I'm sure that aspect fascinated some people, but it didn't work for me.

The world of Tolkien is so vast and confusing as it is, and characters with different names and narratives from text to
Ugnė
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglai
Visuose J.R.R. Tolkieno darbuose mane labiausiai žavi jo kūrybiškumas ir kantrybė kuriant atskirą pasaulį ir visą jo istoriją. Beren and Lúthien atskleidžia, kaip šios dvi K padėjo atsirasti jo kūriniams - perrašymai, taisymai, pasikeitimai, ir rašytinis vieno žmogaus kūrinys tampa labai panašus į iš lūpų į lūpas plintantį pasakojimą.
Diletta
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
E sì, dovreste prenderlo essendo la loro storia uno degli eventi principali della Terra di Mezzo (insieme ai poveri figli di Húrin e alla caduta di Gondolin), inoltre vi offre una buona occasione per rileggere, o leggere per la prima volta, Il Silmarillion (diciamo che se è la prima volta che lo leggete la storia di Beren è un po' un punto fisso che vi da una mano).
(Bonus: nella prima stesura c'è Tevildo, il Principe dei Gatti.)
Mary Catelli
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
For people who want to understand what happened to the tale in its various revisions before it reached the form that Christopher Tolkien put in the Silmarillion and which gets alluded in The Lord of the Rings.

I find it interesting to watch his concept of Middle-Earth shift with world-building.
J.R.R. Tolkien: Group Read June-August 2017: Beren and Lúthien 11 78 Oct 17, 2017 02:13PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Publication of 'Beren and Lúthien' Announced 17 87 Jun 04, 2017 02:17AM
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • The Fall of Gondolin
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Una mattina, mentr'ella giaceva addormentata sul muschio, e pareva che troppo amaro fosse il giorno perché s'aprisse un fiore gentile in un'ora senza sole, Beren si levò e le baciò i capelli e pianse e dolcemente là la lasciò.
"Buon Huan," disse, "proteggila! Non sboccia in un campo privo di foglie un asfodelo, non una rosa solitaria in un boschetto pieno di rovi che al pari di lei sia fragile e fragrante. Difendila dal vento e dal gelo e nascondila dalle mani che afferrano e distruggono; impedisci che vaghi e impedisci che soffra, perché l'orgoglio e il destino mi spingono ora ad andare".”
1 likes
“In pigri giardini, molti fiori come te gli dèi innamorati sono soliti baciare d'un bacio che assomiglia al miele; e poi li buttano via, sciupati, e li calpestano, mentre emanano il profumo loro. [...] E chi non vorrebbe gustare la dolcezza del miele sfiorando labbra, o calpestar coi piedi il morbido, fresco tessuto dei pallidi fiori, alleggerendo, come gli dèi, le ore che si trascinano?” 1 likes