Start by marking “Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #1)

Murder, Curlers, and Cream

(Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #1)

Valentine Beaumont is a beautician with a problem. Not only has she got a meddling mother, a wacky staff, and a dying business, but now she’s got a dead client who was strangled while awaiting her facial.

With business the way it is, combing through this mystery may be the only way to save her salon. Until a second murder, an explosion, a kidnapping, death threats, and th
Published November 8th 2016 by ParadiseDeer Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Murder, Curlers, and Cream, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ruchika Jain There is no simple answer to that question.

Start your review of Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #1)
Julie
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, 2017, cozy-mystery
Murder, Curlers, and Cream by Arlene McFarlane is a 2016 publication.

A cute, cozy mystery that set a positive tone for the beginning of a new series.

Valentine Beaumont’s struggling beauty salon takes an even darker turn when one of her clients is murdered while waiting for a facial. In order to keep her business afloat, Valerie decides to speed up the wheels of justice by doing a little sleuthing of her own, much to the chagrin of the sexy Detective Romero.

Meanwhile, Valentine must cope with
Sabine
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, humor
Murder in a beauty salon....with some fun and crazy characters. There is a lot going on here that makes for a fast paced and entertaining read.
I am looking forward to reading more in this series.
Brenda
Valentine Beaumont, beautician and owner of a business that was struggling, was shocked when one of her regular clients was murdered in the chair. The police were soon on the scene and while they investigated, interviewing everyone connected to Valentine, she herself decided she’d solve the puzzle herself. But it was harder than she thought, this detective business, and when one of her favourite people was kidnapped, another murder occurred and much more, she had to wonder if she should leave it ...more
Celia
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Murder, Curlers, and Cream was truly an enjoyable read. Valentine Beaumont is struggling to keep her Salon open, but having an unpleasant client murdered while waiting for a facial does not help at all. The police are all over the case, especially because of the questionable reputation Valentine has gotten with the town's law enforcement as result of her solving an earlier murder in an incredibly unorthodox way. Detective Romero warns her off of the case, but Valentine is determined to investiga ...more
Paula Adams
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A murder mystery in a beauticians shop. Quite a cast of characters that work there. They are kind of fun to read about but I don't think I would like to work there. And it's one of the last ones you would suspect that is the killer.
Linda Kliarsky
I’m puzzled...

By all the five star reviews. I struggled to finish it, and I found it to be a pretty dumb book. But then again, I don’t like books that star ditzy women, and Val is nothing if not ditzy. Not my kind of book, so I won’t continue on with the series.
Carol
Murder, fire bomb, window smashing,
mayhem, an anonymous threatening note,
harassing phone calls, a kidnapping plus
a cast of colorful, quirky, scary, dangerous
supporting characters make this first book
starring Valentine Beaumont, a MUST READ!!!!
Valentine owns a Salon. She is trying very
hard to make it a successful venture but
seems to keep running into all sort of obstacles.
The latest problem is when a client in found
dead in the Ti Amo room when she is getting
a facial.
Why was the back door
Amary Chapman
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Contemporary cozy set in a beauty shop, laced with humor and romance. Valentine Beaumont is struggling to keep her business going for to a deathbed promise to her grandmother, despite being talented and having a very talented and handsome employee.
She has an unfortunate incident from her past that keeps being brought up to her chagrin.
After a death in her salon, she snoops to solve the murder, hitting heads with a handsome officer.

Heidi Pergolski
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautician by day, amateur sleuth by night; Valentine Beaumont is on the case! When one of her clients ends up dead during her appointment, Valentine decides she is going to find the killer herself. However, asking around is not only causing Romero, the sexy, strong detective to get in her way, she’s also now receiving threatening calls and notes. Asking a few harmless questions might prove to be more dangerous than she first thought!
This was a fun read! The characters were enjoyable and the sto
Peggy Clayton
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you love mysteries with a kick this is the book for you! This was a wonderful, funny and you had to do some sleuthing book. I so enjoyed the story line and the characters are a kick. This was a new author for me and I totally enjoyed her book and look forward to reading many more of her books. Arlene hit a grand slam with this book!
Krystyna
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beauty business can be a killer

Loved it. Humour and emotion crafted into a great plot that will have you enthralled from the start. Her business is everything to her as she has put her heart and soul into her spa. However all this could be taken away from her shortly when she finds her best client dead on the massage bed. Okay the culprit was dead easy to spot but I loved the way she stumbled through the investigation until she got to the truth. She is tenacious and determined to save her bu
Peggy
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder,Curlers, and Cream: A Valentine Beaumont Mystery

I really enjoyed this book, I had no idea who committed the murders until the end of the book. This is a nice clean read and a real enjoyable read.
Michael cunningham
Interesting💞

I really love your style😄 i am an avid reader...I fell in sync with your way in about 5 pages in i peruse what is acceptable for my 15 year old granddaughter!!! She loved it too! Thank you for your talents☺
Karen L. Greer
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Liked uncovering g the personalities of the characters. Intriguing and kept my interest. Will!I read from this author again. The end.
Nola Arganbright
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I couldn't put it down

I loved this book! It is funny, exciting, suspenseful and never ending action. How could one little lady attract so much catastrophe!
Le Petit
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute clean mystery/romance book. There were aspects of the story I didn’t like and that seemed unrealistic. For example Val always getting answers from people by simply asking, her tampering with evidence, Romero telling her classified case information etc.
Having said that, this is a free kindle book and the story kept me reading until the end. I also didn’t suspect the killer at all which made for an enjoyable “aha!” moment when they were revealed.
3/5 - the story is good for what it is.
Donna Townsend
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Valentine Beaumont is a drop-dead gorgeous esthetician with a somewhat thriving spa, who feels it is her duty to go on blind dates arranged by well-meaning friends and solve the occasional murder. Book I of the Valentine Beaumont Mysteries series is a clever, well-crafted beginning of what will hopefully be a long-running series.
This is a cozy on adrenaline, restyling the genre and adding highlights which readers will much enjoy. The spa setting is new to me and rich with opportunities. I liked
Jeanne Estridge
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance readers, lovers of cozy mysteries
Murder, Curlers and Cream is a cozy mystery with a cast of suspects worthy of Dame Agatha Christie.

Valentine Beaumont runs an on-the-edge-of-bankruptcy spa. Talented, plucky and girly down to her cuticles, Valentine is determined to keep her business going, but when a client is strangled in the Ti Amo room during a facial, this could be the last orange stick.

Detective, Romero, the good-looking cop assigned to the case, has heard about the time she took out a would-be attacker with a perm rod t
Kay Hudson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, mystery
Arlene McFarlane’s Murder, Curlers & Cream introduces Valentine Beaumont, beautician and amateur detective. It’s not that Valentine wants to be a sleuth—she’s already trying to live down a past incident involving a killer and a perm rod—but she’s got problems. Business is down, the mortgage on her salon is due, and she’s short of rent money. She’s also saddled with the world’s worst employee, a distant cousin she can’t quite bring herself to fire, despite regular disasters, and a rival salon own ...more
Kellie
This didn't deliver the laughs I was expecting.

I liked the quirkiness of the main character (although I initially pictured her as a 50ish woman for some reason, and then had to completely change what I pictured in my head when I found out I was wrong) and the setting of the salon, but overall it's not a series I wish to continue with. As an amateur sleuth in a cozy mystery, I expect the character to be stubborn and do her own thing and go against what people want her to do (which is generally to
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Murder, Curlers and Cream by Arlene McFarlane is the first book in her Valentine Beaumont Mystery series and it really gets you going !!!

I fell instantly in love with Valentine, her outfits, her employees and her life. She owns a beauty salon which has a mortgage payment coming due and one of the regular clients is found dead.....strangled by a cord while waiting in one of the treatment rooms.

Even though her sister is on the police force, Valentine is not going to sit quietly looking pretty wait
Barbara Hockman
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Valentine Beaumont has to contend with the death of a customer at her declining salon business in order to keep the shop going. Her mother’s single minded quest to get her married off, her staff’s quirky demeanors and the hunky new detective keep her in a perpetual upheaval.
Along with the current story you learn that this is not Valentine’s first foray into murder investigating. The story starts off on page one and keeps you guessing right to the end who committed the crime. Splashed among all
Teresa Kander
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This is the first book in a new cozy mystery series, and I am already a big fan! Valentine Beaumont is a character it's easy to like, and to feel empathy for, due to her meddling mother (who is determined to get her married off) and her possibly dying business (complete with quirky employees). When a client is murdered in her salon, things only get worse.

Even though this is the first book in the series, we learn that it is not Valentine's first foray into crime solving--and the portion of the pe
Christina
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read :)

*Update* Finally the time to write a proper review :)

I really really enjoyed Murder, Curlers and Cream! It's a feel good story!! And I loved all the characters!! ( except Phyllis OMG I would have slapped her on a daily basis - thanks for Max to put her in her place haha ) .

Valentine is super fun - I think I would have done the same! I mean solving murders on your own! So cool! and Romero ;) yeah what a babe he must be!!

I definitely want to see more of those two!!
Marla Bradeen
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
MURDER, CURLERS, AND CREAM is a thoroughly entertaining read. With zany characters, an intriguing mystery, and a heroine you'll root for from the start, this book kept me engaged from beginning to end. McFarlane's writing draws you in from the very first page, and the mystery kept me guessing until the final reveal. Perhaps the best part of the book is the author's terrific sense of humor that shines throughout the story. Anyone who enjoys mysteries with a little romance and a lot of laughs is s ...more
Tammy Goldthorpe
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't do the girly thing very often, but after reading this book, I've virtually terrified of going to a salon. Just kidding, for a 'First in Series' the book was fantastic. The characters are a nice mix of fun and unique, and I was pleasantly entertained by the twists and turns experienced by each of the characters. Grab a steaming latte, wrap up in your fuzzy jammies, slather on your mud mask and settle in for 'Murder, Curlers, and Cream'.
Karen
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an extremely busy cozy, set in a cozy little hair shop with a cast of very interesting and well thought out characters. I found this story had so much going on that I often forgot that it was a mystery while reading it. It has some very good plot lines, was funny at times and characters I enjoyed, it read like a drama/love story as much as a mystery. Something for everyone in this new cozy for sure. I also loved that Valentine who is the main character drives a yellow bug!
Gari
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little funny

There were some funny parts, but I can't stand someone who is too stupid to tell the police about death threats. Also, the two main characters didn't have any chemistry. Another Stephanie Plum wannabe.
Chris
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Valentine Beaumont owns a beautician salon in the small town of Reuland Massachusetts, a town where practically nothing happens. That is, if you don't count the dead socialite found in her salon, strangled while awaiting her facial.

What with a new salon down the street trying to steal customers, and her rent coming due, solving the murder may be the only way she can save her salon. Until a second murder, a kidnapping, death threats, a fire bomb, and the handsome and hard-nosed detective, Michael
Heather Martin
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder, Curlers, and Cream

Murder, Curlers, and Cream is the first book in Arlene McFarlane’s Valentine Beaumont series. It’s free on Amazon if you’re interested in giving the series a chance. I am a fan of all types of mysteries so I was excited to read this one, a new-to-me series and a new-to-me author.

The first book in a new series can be overloaded with characters, their quirks and information as it sets up the books to come, and I definitely found this one to be loaded with characters. When
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • Reservation with Death (The Park Hotel Mysteries #1)
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • Humpty Bumpkin (Country Cousin Mysteries #1)
  • Life in the Dead Lane (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #2)
  • Death on the Diversion (Secret Sleuth #1)
  • At Wits' End (A Wits' End Cozy Mystery #1)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • Raina Sun Mysteries: Books 1-3 (Raina Sun Mysteries #1-3)
  • Murder in the Manor (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery, Book 1)
  • In for a Penny (Seasoned Southern Sleuths Cozy Mystery Book #1)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Poppy McGuire Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Fear Hunter
  • One Hex of a Wedding (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #5)
  • Inn Over Her Head (Dusky Cove B&B Cozy Mysteries Book 1)
  • Coffee and Crime (Cup of Jo Book 0)
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
  • Hairless Harassment (Pet Whisperer P.I. #3)

Valentine Beaumont Mysteries (3 books)
  • Murder, Curlers, and Canes (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #2)
  • Murder, Curlers, and Cruises (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #3)