Start by marking “Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff” as Want to Read:
Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff

Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff

By turns tender and terrifying, Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff captures America on the verge of political upheaval in 2016 and introduces us to a man who just might be able to save us from the oncoming horror. Yes, Bob Honey - carnival carny, sewage specialist, and government operative, among other occupations - has spent years in preparation, crisscrossing the world in the e ...more
Audible Audio, 3 pages
Published October 18th 2016 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff

Start your review of Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff
Char
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
There's satire and humor here and this audio book is timely. The political landscape is current and even Bob Dylan's recent award of the Nobel Prize in Literature is here.

I think I understand what this piece tried to do, however I'm not sure it succeeded. At times very funny, (Francis McDormand I'm looking at you), and other times flat out WTF confusing, (Welcome to Nightvale anyone?), I'm trying to figure out if I should listen to this again. Sometimes authors, (Pappy Pariah, are you Sean Penn
Curt
Oct 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Well..that was a pile of shit.
Ace
Nov 24, 2016 added it
I'm not really quite sure what to say about this book? Free download from Audible, Sean Penn as main narrator and from what I can ascertain from other reviewers here, the chief publicist and potentially Pappy Pariah himself.

Bob Honey is deeply disturbed but I kinda liked him. I'm not sure if that was a cliff hanger there at the end or if it was the end end, I think I missed something. I'm not going to rate it as I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be. It was a short book. I may listen
Michelle Only Wants to Read
...uhh...

description

I can't even describe what this was about. Weird. Very weird.
This was another freebie from Audible.
Cathy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody! Run! Run fast!
Shelves: read-2019
What the heck did I just listen to? Dear Audible, thanks for this freebie. But OMG! Very, very weird.

Dear Sean Penn, please stick to acting and/or voice-acting, which you did very well here. But please stop writing, this was a complete and utterly undecipherable mess! Political activism, et cetera, I get it. But this was painful.

Frances McDormand, I love you! Please read me your shopping list!

Recommended: to nobody!
BridgetT
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, 2016
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
"One day I will find the right words. And they will be simple."
"It's always the old that lead us to the war. It's always the young that fall. ..."
"Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast."
The audible production is 2.5 hours long. Part prose, part rhyme.
I listened to the first hour, wondering what was going on.
I decided to start again. Glad I did.
Then I listened to it again.
There's a message there, if you can find it ... s
Ryan Barker
Oct 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sean Penn, you should stick to acting.

This book read like the political rambling of a 10th grader who thinks they have the makings of the next great American novel. Over use of alliteration, assonance, and platitudes? Check. Overly preachy with an "edgy" storyline that borders on the absurd? Check.

Idoia
Oct 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Cringeworthy. Almost as much as the story Sean Penn cooked up to introduce this Pappy Pariah character that feels so much like Penn's pen name. Certainly not my cup of tea. I'm left feeling that this free book was too expensive.
Brandy
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun and delightful listen! I had to make my commute into "the city" today and at 2 hours and some change it was just long enough to cover most of the drive.

At first I was in love with Bob Honey, the lovable weirdo. By the end I definitely didn't love him any more, but I liked living in his head for a few hours.

This book is just right. Not too long, not too short. It's perfect for commuter blues. Anything that passes the time better is great. Sean Penn was a remarkable narrator, and I
Ri
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
David
Nov 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
If you think MSNBC is the cat's meow, you might really enjoy this audio book. If you think only Fox News tells the truth, this book might enrage you. If instead you think mindless allegiance to a political party is silly, then you might be as bored as I was.

I got this audio book free from Audible. I wish they hadn't been so "generous." I didn't finish, but still wasted almost two hours of my life. Thank you Frances McDormand for providing a little levity to a bad book.
Terri
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
My opinion: no wonder it was offered for free.
The story is strange and meandering and one keeps guessing what the protagonist really does for a living. Information gets revealed but none of it is satisfying.
Why is the title bad grammatically?
I have no idea.
Sean Penn's performance is excellent. I hope he narrates a good book in the future.
Matt Ranlett
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this, complete with its sociopathic fever dreams and beatnik poetic sensibilities. i dont know(or care) who Pappy Pariah is, he's brilliant. Awesome narration and just so strange that I'll buy it in print when it becomes available.
David
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A blurb compares this to Vonnegut, but there's also plenty of Palahniuk in there. This book was trying some interesting things. By engaging with the audiobook medium directly rather than just being a recorded book, it brings us back around to recorded radio dramas, but with some new conventions blended in. Like Palahniuk, "Pappy Pariah" creates flawed characters about whom we feel ambivalent, but Bob Honey in its cultural criticism never seemed to rise above the level of taking pot shots, and I ...more
Christian Ready
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
To say a novel is timely is one thing, but this novel feels like it's being written right as you're reading it (assuming you read or listen to it in October 2016). It's quite a trip and Sean Penn's performance in the audiobook is fantastic.

The prose wastes little time moving this short book along, and yet doesn't feel rushed. Instead it feels more like a movie about one man's experience of the 2016 presidential election based on a screenplay by a protégée of Hunter S. Thompson's (who I'm pretty
Alaa Nassef
Oct 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
This piece of garbage is not even worth it's price (which is free by the way)
Emily Ross
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I... am just so confused. What exactly happened in this audiobook? This was weird and occasionally funny, but not really worth the purchase, which is saying something considering that it was free.
Simon Sweetman
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
The reviews calling this Utter Garbage were wholly too kind...
Richard
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-paper-books
If you are fan of the writing style of Hunter S. Thompson, Chuck Palahniuk etc. I think you'll get a kick out of this book. Whoever the mysterious author Pappy Pariah is (I hope it is Sean Penn) is no slouch in terms of their writing skills, the writing is tight, punchy, evocative and at sometimes beautiful. It is a book of the moment, but seems to me that it could stand the test of time (as long as you know your late 20th / 21st century). The audio-production is superb, and if you can get hold ...more
Christian Ekman
Shelves: 2016
I know this is supposed to be satire, but I just did not get what it was about. I mostly just found it very strange. From the horrible rating it has I gather I'm not alone in this.
Patricia
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The subject matter of this story is not my cup of tea. However, I loved Sean Penn's narration which kept me listening till the end.
Cecilia
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay it was free....

Sean Penn has been on all the late night talk shows promoting this book, written by an old acquaintance from his youth (believe it or not) but Sean Penn does narrate the audio book and seems to believe very much in the books message for the American people just weeks before this election.

If you can read that really long sentence, than you might be able to tackle Bob Honey.

I get what "Pappy" is trying to say, but I believe the book was written in either drug induced haze alon
John Kaess
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars - This book has a complete description on Goodreads and in Audible. Nevertheless, this book simply defies description. I can only say that if you have listened to the Welcome to Nightvale podcast, or read or listened to the book, then this book is kind of the same but different. In spite of my inability to give the story a cogent description, i found the audible book enjoyable. Sean Penn is a great narrator and the story is short and will hold your interest, if for no other reason than f ...more
Christopher Buchanan
Pretentious and rambling. Awash with randomness and forced metaphor. If there was any kind of point to this story, I sure as hell missed it. Sounds as if it was written by some dude at a three a.m. bar that's had just enough community college polysci and sociology with a generous helping of jagermeister to think he's got shit all figured out. And by god he's going to alliterate while he does 'cause he's pretty sure that's cool!

But apparently Sean Penn thinks it's the shit so it's got that going
Danielle
It was really weird/random. Not sure what to say. Not what I expected after hearing about it on real time with bill maher. But I powered through it. Not sure if I had a hard time following because it was an audio book or if it was just that disjointed.

Parts were written as a poem other parts weren't. Idk.
Megan
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was a free, short audiobook. I expected it to be weird and it was interesting at times, but I felt like the point was slipping away from me. It always seemed like it was on the verge of making sense, but then, no, Bob Honey just does something else and makes heavily veiled political commentary.

Maybe it makes more sense to read it? Maybe I should try it again?
Stacy GeekRemixALot
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
There were parts of this that I found really engaging and interesting, but also large swathes of it where I kinda zoned out and found it hard to pay attention (I was listening to the audiobook).

Despite the interesting and interestingly written parts, I would have a hard time recommending this to someone. It wasn't awful, but it just didn't grab me.
Brandon Barnes
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
It started out interesting enough, but it devolved into this bizarre meandering tale of a guy that I had no connection with, good or bad. When I was at least content with it started getting overtly political and the 'message' (?) came more into view. At least it was cheap.
Kylie Lowe
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this audiobook. The mixture of strange with information made it highly entertaining. I enjoyed the use of rhyme.

Bob presents as odd and slow, but is highly organised and skilled. The narration added to the entertainment value. I recommend this book if you want something different.
Pamela Huenke
Oct 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is 2 1/2 hours I'm never getting back. It was described as hilarious. It wasn't really funny at all. I do not see the entertainment value. It was free and I feel like I paid too much (because of lost time).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Break Shot: My First 21 Years
  • It Burns: The Scandal-Plagued Race to Breed the World’s Hottest Chilli
  • Herbie
  • History of Bourbon
  • Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • My Vanishing Country
  • Caucasia
  • Voices in the Air: Poems for Listeners
  • The Spare Room
Pseudonym for Sean Penn

Pappy Pariah was disputably born in Summerton Feathers, Iowa, in the year of our Lord 1960. He has written voluminous travelogues and articles under a pseudonym for many mainstream American press outlets. At the age of 13, his appendix exploded while he was playing flag football, and it was during treatment for extreme peritonitis that he was first driven to put pen to paper

News & Interviews