Start by marking “Songbird” as Want to Read:
Songbird

Songbird

Sometimes, silence is the most powerful communication two people can share. It might help, too, considering that even in college, people often frown upon relationships between TAs and their students. That’s never bothered Spencer and Lark, and they’ve found ways to get across just what they want, and what they need, with little more than a flick of their fingers.
Published October 19th 2016 by Torquere Press LLC (first published August 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Songbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songbird

Start your review of Songbird
Serena Yates
With more than a hint of the forbidden, this is the story of Laurent, an eighteen-year-old boy remembering an illicit encounter with a gypsy boy his own age, and the slightly more forbidden touches that followed. In the scheme of things, it was all pretty harmless – a few touches during a guitar lesson – but for Laurent, who is young and naïve, it’s very exciting. Enough even to help him satisfy his desire once he is back in his bedroom, safely locked in while his family attends church the ...more
R.J.
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short is the cute story of Laurent, a resident of a small, chruch-going village, and his crush on Remy, a sexy gypsy boy with a talent for seductive guitar playing.

What I liked most about this story was the way it went about Laurent’s struggle with his sexuality. His emotions are never self-hating or ashamed, yet there is still the recognition that the church and his family would consider his homosexuality a sin. Considering how much of the media focuses on the angst and pain of being
James
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short and sweet story possesses a remarkable depth in story and characterisation, the play of words rhich and full, making it so easy to picture the world this boy, Laurent, is living in. I feel as if I've known him for years even though I witnessed barely more than two scenes of his life. My heart was beating faster with his heart and I smiled in joy when he smiled, his emotions described so brilliantly clear and strong as if they were my own. A wonderful lighthearted (and hot) piece, ...more
T.S. Cleveland
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eeep!
This story is sultry and romantic, and I felt like I was there by the river getting a guitar lesson from the beautiful gypsy. The boy. Val Prozorova paints a picturesque scene, as usual, transporting you effortlessly back in time to experience a young man’s first kiss. I would enjoy this as a full length novel, for sure. But I will settle to wait, like Laurent, for the boats to return next summer. I’ll just have to head canon that those two meet again! Wonderful, sensuous story. Make sure
fiona
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in 1959 but somehow made me feel it was much earlier or somehow timeless. One of those memorable encounters you have at a certain age when someone can seem so much more part of the world than you are and appear to be breathtakingly bohemian.

It's Summery and soft and written so that it flows along with the character's recollection of his recent experience. Skilful blending of memory with the present that makes for an erotic swish of loveliness.
Val
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Katrina
Aug 20, 2015
Ronni
Dec 05, 2017
Val
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Megan McFerren
Aunt
Feb 11, 2019
Brian
Apr 02, 2019
Val Prozorova (or Velvl Ryder) is a transgender writer based in New Zealand, who makes a habit of challenging gender stereotypes and bringing queer lives to the forefront of his writing.

Outside of his writing, Vel is studying to be a dog trainer, hoping to work with police canines and promoting animal interaction for those with mental health issues.

You can find Vel on his website, on Twitter,