Start by marking “Win, Lose or Draw (Cliff Hardy #42)” as Want to Read:
Win, Lose or Draw (Cliff Hardy #42)

Win, Lose or Draw

(Cliff Hardy #42)

A missing teenager, drugs, yachts, the sex trade and a cold trail that leads from Sydney to Norfolk Island, Byron Bay and Coolangatta. Can Cliff Hardy find out what's really going on?

Will one man's loss be Hardy's gain?

'I'd read about it in the papers, heard the radio reports and seen the TV coverage and then forgotten about it, the way you do with news stories.'

A missing
Published January 1st 2017 by Allen & Unwin AU

To ask other readers questions about Win, Lose or Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Win, Lose or Draw

Jeremy
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
When I found out Peter Corris was writing his last Cliff Hardy book—actually, his last book of any sort—I was interested. I little buzz in the media around whether or not he would bump Hardy off a la Sherlock Holmes was enough to hook me in and snap it up.

While I may have cut my PI-Crime teeth on American writers like Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, I later discovered Corris/Hardy and read quite a few, though I was surprised by how many had actually been written; I figure I’d read about t
Jenny
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Win, Lose or Draw is another great book by Peter Corris. Readers of Win, Lose or Draw, will enjoy the twist and turns of the story and the conclusion. Win, Lose or Draw is about trying to find Juliana, daughter of wealthy Sydney businessman. However, the investigation highlighted other issues that devastated everyone. Readers will start to think about the problems and consequences of drug abuse for the family and the community. I love the way Peter Corris made his main character Cliff Hardy not ...more
Blair
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
So much to like about this book. The protagonist, Cliff Hardy is relatable, the rogue's gallery of characters enthralling, and the settings real and tangible. The dialogue is lively and the narrative romps along at a breathless pace.
But the thing that ruined it for me was the rushed ending. I felt like I'd invested so much in the foregoing story line, that when the end came, it was a damp squib unworthy of the rest of the novel.
This was my first experience with Coriss's renowned Cliff Hardy. I p
Sally Edsall
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, australian, fiction
Peter Corris is going blind (diabetic retinopathy) and so has drawn the curtain on his 30 year crime series featuring private gumshoe Cliff Hardy.

I've enjoyed them over the years, especially summer holiday reading. And this proved a great way to top and tail a rainy day - intensive couch work.

Completely undemanding, a good page turner, nicely plotted. No cloying farewells, just the satisfactory close of another case. I enjoyed it.
Rosalie
Sadly this was the last book written by Peter Corris who died last year. I love his Cliff Hardy novels, his well structures stories, and his straightforward writing - the succinct descriptions and Sydney settings.
He paints pictures by using familiar analogies and perceptions e.g ' the grooves on my dial were almost as deep as Mick Jagger's" and "with a few drinks inside I played some early Elvis -...- to put me in touch with my youth and it's simpler realities" and " A few kilometres inland fro
CriminalRepurcussions
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a shame people have to retire !!
This is a fantastic ending to a brilliant series and a fantastic way to retire from a brilliant career entertaining the multitudes with wonderful works and stories.
Congratulations on a wonderfully entertaining book, always told straightforwardly, no punches, no padding out, not a wasted word - it's perfect.
We will miss Peter Corris' writing. Making our way through the entire series.
Thankyou, Peter Corris.
Angela Zhou
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's the first Cliff Hardy book I have ever read, don't think I will try a second one. To me, Cliff Hardy is a very kind and honest person, but can't say he is a great detective. Maybe I have read too many Sherlock Holmes and Poirot...
Mumbler
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good one. The ending is a nice moment for the series to go out on. Even though not planned as that, the author reports.

Thank you, Mr. Corris. :)
Michael Durkin
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read, affable main character and good story.
Any Length
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
An ok read for a long flight or a lengthy train journey. I felt a bit lost toward the end when things got a bit complicated.
Paul Grose
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One final case with Cliff Hardy.........a well deserved ending to a great Australian character.
Liza
There was a time when I would eagerly read a new Peter Corris novel. Cliff Hardy, the barely b grade private detective, strode the mean streets of Sydney and Bryan Brown played him in the cinema at the height of his career. Now both Corris and Hardy are getting on and have health issues so this is the final Cliff Hardy novel. It's a quick read.
Ainslie
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
A vintage Cliff Hardy to end the series.
Warren Gossett
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I heard Peter Corriss being interviewed recently by Phillip Adams on ABC Radio National. I had not read any of his books before. I was charmed by this private investigator Cliff Hardy #42. It is really a feel good crime story in the Sydney world of drugs and boats, with side trips to Queensland and Norfolk Island.
Zuzu Burford
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical Cliff Hardy, fast moving, interesting plot. The last book by Peter Corris had a few subtle comments on society tucked away here. Sad the series has ended. Although this series has had an exceptional shelf life. Well done.
Karina
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
End of an era. Thanks Peter Corris.
Karen
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many years ago there was a specialist bookshop tucked away in Auburn Road, Hawthorn run by a crime fiction expert and massive enabler (I think his name was Malcolm Campbell). He was one of those real-life people that made me thankful I'd made the trek from the bush to the big city, and Peter Corris was another. Sure I probably would have eventually found his books, but arriving in the city, finding that shop, and eventually being introduced to Cliff Hardy, kind of reinforced at that time it had ...more
Tracy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
ok
Andy Behrendt
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. From start to finish, this book is vintage Peter Corris and a fitting way to say farewell to Cliff Hardy. On the trail of the missing daughter of a wealthy business man, everything isn't as it seems. Tracing leads from Sydney to Norfolk Island, Coolangatta and back to Sydney, Hardy runs up against the usual assortment of thugs and underworld characters determined to beat him to the girl. He also has to deal with a photographic journalist determined to claim the reward for finding the gi ...more
Kerrie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Juliana Fonteyn disappears she is an underage teenager. By the time her father hires Cliff Hardy to find her the case is already 18 months old, and other investigators have tried to find her and failed. In her father's estimation they have largely been concerned with how much they will be paid. In Cliff Hardy he hopes he has found someone who really cares. And there is new evidence that Juliana is still alive - a photograph taken on Norfolk Island.

Even so the investigation doesn't go smoot
Corinne Johnston
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sad that this is the final outing for Cliff Hardy, but happy that he was back in his old haunts, doing what he does best. Much more emotionally charged than many previous Cliff Hardy books, but a great send off to the old dog. I particularly liked learning a little more about his relationship with his daughter, Hank and his grandsons.
Sandra
Mar 20, 2018
Merilyn Arundale
Oct 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Peter Corris was an Australian academic, historian, journalist and a novelist of historical and crime fiction. His first novel was published in 1980. Corris is credited with reviving the fully-fledged Australian crime novel with local settings and reference points and with a series character firmly rooted in Australian culture, Sydney PI Cliff Hardy. As crime fiction writer, he was described as "t ...more

Cliff Hardy (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Dying Trade (Cliff Hardy, #1)
  • White Meat (Cliff Hardy, #2)
  • The Marvellous Boy (Cliff Hardy, #3)
  • The Empty Beach (Cliff Hardy, #4)
  • Heroin Annie And Other Cliff Hardy Stories (Cliff Hardy, #5)
  • Make Me Rich (Cliff Hardy, #6)
  • The Big Drop (Cliff Hardy, #7)
  • The Greenwich Apartments (Cliff Hardy, #8)
  • Deal Me Out (Cliff Hardy, #9)
  • The January Zone (Cliff Hardy, #10)