Start by marking “Snare” as Want to Read:
Snare

Snare

When Elliot Iverson, a municipal employee responsible for paperwork pertaining to New York City's vampire population, knocks on the door of the Gramercy warren, he wants only to resolve a clerical error. But a sudden snowstorm, a new friendship, and an ill-advised threesome force Elliot to make some big choices about his own life and death.

This story was previously
Published October 17th 2016 by Avian30 (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Snare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snare

Start your review of Snare
☆ Todd

This one never fully engaged me. I kept waiting, but it just didn't happen. The story was fine, but a bit short on actual feels.

The gist of the book is that 23 year old Eli is a paper pusher and recent transplant to NYC, where all of the vampires live. He shows up at a warren (vampire den) to have some paperwork signed, is accidentally bitten, then isn't allowed to leave, for his own safety, for an entire year. So he's a prisoner of circumstance, if you will.

At around 60 pages, there were
Skye Kilaen
A haunting polyamorous vampire romance from the POV of Elliott Iverson, a municipal employee in a world where vampires live openly, and some humans decide to join them by becoming legally dead. Eli goes to a vampire "warren" to resolve a paperwork issue. Richard, the head vampire, somewhat-accidentally bites Eli during a consensual threesome with Richard's lover Matthew... which leads to Eli being declared legally dead against his wishes and required to stay in the warren for a full year.

As
Emily
I was very conflicted over this story. The blurb sounded amazing and Ive read other books by these authors, so I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it didnt come through. To start, I didnt really like any of the characters in this book. Eli acted too much like a whiny brat (though I can understand where hes coming from), Matthew seemed like an abused partner, and Richard was an overall dick. I spent most of the book not liking Richard. He did crappy/horrible things without absolutely no ...more
Kaa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What was the point of this book? There were so many interesting things it COULD have been, yet somehow it managed to avoid all of them, leaving me wondering why I bothered reading. I picked it up for free on Amazon thinking that it was going to be humorous fluff, but despite a premise that sounded like easy comedy to me, Snare didn't seem to make any attempt to be funny. Furthermore, non-consensual vampire bites during sex aren't either funny or fluffy. The story never fully explained why ...more
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
I give this story a 2.5 but rated a 3 for review purposes. I couldn't really follow this tale. Eli works for the city and he knows about vampires. He goes to a house to get some paperwork signed and meets Matthew who because of a snow storm asks him to stay. Matthew runs the house for the main vampire Richard. All of a sudden Richard, Eli and Matthew are getting intimate. Richard bites Eli and he has to stay for a year. I was confused, there was no back story for any of these characters. Eli was ...more
Christie
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sorry but I did not get it

OK it was well edited and the writing was good but I did not feel the book. I totally felt that something was totally missing and nothing was resolved. Anyway if you decide to get it I hope you'll enjoy it more than I did.
Olivia Batto
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vampires! Paperwork! Romance!

This one is easy to love. The worldbuilding is fantastic, the characters are complex, and the pacing is believable. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes low-key paranormal elements/magical realism, meet-cute romances where the protagonists have a lot to work out after the inital attraction, and POV characters who *don't* immediately try to change a world they don't understand.

I loved Eli's emotional journey, and his exploration of the warrens avoided the
SA
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Oh man, I loved this. It's really more a fiction novella than a MM novella, which is part of what made it so interesting to me. That and the worldbuilding was just there enough to intrigue while not going into 80000000 words of exposition.

The author's content info for the story says a couple of things that really resonate for me about this story, and why I liked it so much:

Snare is definitely a love story. It is probably not a romance.

If we did our jobs right, this story makes a lot of
Em
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polyam-romance
My favourite thing about this book, hands down, was the world building. The mix of the mundane with the paranormal was a nicely done, and the fact that these vampires have a whole urban lore to them made the world all the more interesting. The thought of these different warrens existing, each as their own world with all these different people choosing to live there for different reasons, intrigues me. I would totally be down for more books set in this world.

The romance itself didnt do much for
S.A. Crow
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, so very interesting. I was hooked from the beginning when Elliot, instead of being warned off by a description, found it tempting instead (I so relate), and then related to his desire to be in the city and yet still have a haven in within it. I liked how things weren't easy for Elliot (for any of them), how Elliot didn't behave well often - it made the eventual transitions so much more meaningful.

I realized after reading this I'd heard an interview with the authors several months ago, so
Rhode
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-vampires
That was really sweet and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I guess if you are the sort of person who has never lived in a group house or shared a space with artists, and/or not thought of having more than one relationship, this might feel less comfortable.

I can tell you, if that New York had existed when I was young, I would have made my way to it and been Dead if I could for the chance to leave the rat race and exist as a writer. But then, maybe not, as this book hints at less palatable houses than
Lotta
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I might reconsider the rating, not sure yet. The story itself was sweet, but I felt it lacked detail, in general and in the world building. Lots was mentioned, but never explained. I didnt get the feeling of passage of time, and no other characters were described in any detail than the three MCs. They were literally called rabbits in the warren. Im interested to hear what poly folks think about the relationship. I would have liked more depth. ...more
Tiferet
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poly, ugh-vampires
Definitely not my cup of tea.
The characters felt painfully underdeveloped and I didn't get why anyone would have feelings for anyone. I don't mind the non-con angle but I'd like for the characters to work though that rather than be worn down by boredom and lack of other options. It was all quite tedious and unpleasant.

The worldbuilding might have been the saving grace here since the premise was so interesting but it was very perfunctory.
Denise GremoryKohta
I like the authors' take on vampire society. Though I don't quite understand why they couldn't have electricity and phones. I loved the characters. It would be interesting to delve a little deeper into them. What made Richard want to change? What lead to Matthew being there? How are they doing a year or more later? As you can tell, this story grabs you. Great read.
Sydney
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really lovely story that takes place over a year. Although it kind of starts as a one-night stand, the romance grows slowly and feels realistic. I also loved the way the fantasy is incorporated into modern day situations and how that would affect government, it was really interesting!
Phoenix
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Consent, consent, consent. None in this book. Eli gets Stockholm syndrome. 1.5 stars
Elaine White

POV 3rd person, present tense
Would I read it again Yes

Genre LGBT, Supernatural, Paranormal, Vampire, Contemporary/Alternative Future

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

I really enjoyed this one. At first, I really wasn't sure, because you don't come across many 3rd person, present tense books, so it took me out of my comfort zone for a while. But, once I got into the bones of the story, I
Molly Lolly
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four stars!
This story was different than I expected, however I wound up really enjoying the story. I liked the world building. It was fascinating seeing a world where vampires existed openly for so long and have a historical significance for what seems to be most of US history. I would love to see more books in this world and have more in depth look at the history, politics, and rules of this society.
The way the relationship developed between these three will likely
Cheryl
Review copy purchased by myself and reviewed for Alpha Book Club.

Im not entirely sure how I feel about this book other than a bit disappointed. I expected more from this considering the blurb but it never lived up to my expectations.

The setting is New York which is apparently where all vampires live but they dont appear to instill fear in the general population, they just co-exist and file their paperwork with the city like everyone else does. One of the people who deals with this paperwork is
justanya

In this society the dead and the Dead co exist. Vampires have their own territory and humans (referred to as rabbits) that choose to live amongst them are declared dead and feed the Dead (Vampires) as repayment for living with them.
A snowstorm is to blame for all of Eli's troubles. Apparently the dead have become lax in filing their paperwork and it is Elliots job to go and resolve the errors. Thanks to the storm, Elliot is trapped with the Dead and while in their midst hes seduced by Mathew a
Cat
***A Curiosity***

I love vampire books, and I thought the premise of this sounded interesting. For a book of less than one hundred pages, though, it took me ages to get through it! My biggest issue - I couldnt stay interested in the characters. Elliot as the primary character was fairly flat, and despite being a huge warren, there was little to no interaction with anyone outside the three primaries, with very little from the third primary.

The plot had fantastic premise, and I think that with
Natosha Wilson
This book was definitely different. I was a little lost at first when I started reading it but it was a decent read. It is not too short and it is not too long. It is in between.

I liked the characters Richard, Eli, and Matthew. They all seemed to be good for one another. But I was confused on if they all really wanted to be together.

I think that the story would have been better and earned 5 stars if there was more in depth on the relationship it self and not so much on whether Eli was staying or
Furio
The approach to vampire (and supernatural) lore in this long short-story is quite unexpected and, as far as I have read, original, in that no explanation is given and the little we understand, we have to infer from events. What we glimpse is somewhat different, there being as little glamour and glitz in this supernatural world as one can possibly imagine. It just fell short of giving vampires nine-to-five menial jobs.
This unglamorous approach focuses the reader's attention on the characters and
Jennifer Fox
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enchanted

I wish it kept going. I loved the characters coming together. I usually don't read much paranormal but this one intrigued me!
Tori
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Probably 2.5 stars. It was ok.
Morgan  Skye
This is not my kind of menage - it's about two characters who fall for each other and kind of "include" the third... I like it when all partners are equal...
Mrsdarkfairy
rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2017
Janeylou
Jan 21, 2019
Terri
Nov 06, 2016
R.A. Delmar
Jan 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Proper English
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Undone by the Ex-Con (Just for Him, #2)
  • Rebel (Women Who Dare, #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Everyday History
  • Play It Again
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Team Phison Forever (Team Phison, #2)
  • Sweet on the Greek (Just for Him #3)
Racheline Maltese is a queer writer living a big life from a small space. She flies planes, sails boats, and rides horses, but as a native New Yorker, has no idea how to drive a car.

A performer and storyteller focused on themes of celebrity, gender, desire and mourning, Racheline has a journalism degree from The George Washington University; studied acting and directing at the Atlantic Theater

News & Interviews