Start by marking “Bringing the Boy Home” as Want to Read:
Bringing the Boy Home

Bringing the Boy Home

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
"I've seen what the world does to the weak. It'll eat you alive."

Tirio was cast out of the Takunami tribe at a very young age because of his disabled foot. But an American woman named Sara adopted him, and his life has only gotten better since. Now, as his thirteenth birthday approaches, things are nearly perfect. So why is he having visions and hearing voices calling him
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Bringing the Boy Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing the Boy Home

Auralia
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrenslit
This one was a must read. I loved it. The ending actually surprised me! I started reading this and knew that it wouldn't take me long to finish it but I couldn't put it down. When I finished it I was wishing that I had read it slower, so that I could still be reading it! I think that is a good one to recommend to young boys who are reluctant readers. I also think that everyone should read this.
Rachael
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
In the Takunami tribe that lives hidden in the Amazon rainforest, boys are trained from a young age for their soche seche tente, a test all boys of thirteen must pass lest they be banishes from the tribe. Two young boys grow up in completely different worlds. Tirio was cast from the Takunami tribe because of a disability and now lives with his adoptive parent Sara in the United States. But as his thirteenth birthday approaches, he is beginning to feel a deeper connection to his first home in the ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Chelsea Swiggett for TeensReadToo.com

BRINGING THE BOY HOME introduces two unique boys as they approach their thirteenth birthdays. As tradition in their Amazon tribe, they must trek through the dangerous jungle as a test of their strength. If they survive after days alone in the Amazon, they will be united with their fathers for the very first time.

One boy, Tirio, now resides in America after being banned from his family and tribe for a birth defect that causes him to limp. As his b
Chrissy
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for good middle school aged lit
Recommended to Chrissy by: heard NA Nelson speak at Barnes and Noble
es, it's written for middle schoolers, especially boys, but it's a great story. It's a quick read (at least, for adults) and it pulls you in. It's about a boy named Tirio who is a member of a tribe in the Amazon. When he is six years old, he's floated out into the Amazon in a canoe, presumably because he has a disability in his leg. He's discovered by a white woman who is in the area doing anthropology research and is adopted by her. He grows up in Florida.

It's told in two voices; by him and by
Pat
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Tirio was cast out of the Takunami tribe at a very young age because of his disabled foot. An american woman adopted him, and his life has only gotten better since. Now, as his thirteenth birthday approaches, things are nearly perfect. So why is he having visions and hearing voices calling him back to the Amazon?
Meredith
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I did not see the twist coming!!!!
Tasha
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tirio comes from the Takunami tribe. They are hidden in the depths of the Amazon rainforest and live a totally secluded life. When Takunami boys reach the age of 13 they must perform their soche seche tente, a sixth sense test. When Tirio is just a young boy his parents know that he will never be able to complete this test because of his disabled foot, bringing dishonor to the family, and banish him from the tribe. They send him down the Amazon River, knowing he probably won’t survive. Luck was ...more
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tirio was adopted from the Takunami tribe as a young boy, after his mother left him to die due to his disability, a club foot. Adopted by an American anthropologist, he was raised with excellent medical care and love. Now that his thirteenth birthday is coming, he wants to return to the Amazon and become a man of the tribe. In a parallel story, a boy of the tribe is preparing for his own soche sente tente.

N. A. Nelson manages to pull off a clever twist in the story about what you think is happen
Terrie
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In the Amazon rain forest a young boy prepares for his 13th birthday when he must take the "6th sense" test that, should he pass, will allow him to discover the identity of his father and seal his manhood within the tribe. This is the story of two boys approaching their 13th birthdays-one is preparing for that test, and the other who was banished from the tribe at age 8 because he had a deformed foot.
I thought the book was well written, with great descriptions of the rain forest, customs, and
Christine
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
I loved this book, especially how things were revealed towards the end. Highly recommended to anyone.

I have been working in a high school media center for the past 4 years and really enjoyed all the YA lit that came along with it. This next school year I will be at an elementary school. I have been reading children's lit this summer. I have not found one book to get me back in the groove of children's lit until THIS BOOK. If I could give it 5 1/2 stars I would because it got me motivated again.
  • The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy
  • The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • War Games
  • Mamba Point
  • The Last Newspaper Boy in America
  • Safe at Home
  • Way Down Deep (Way Down Deep, #1)
  • A Tinfoil Sky
  • Blown Away!
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • The Captain's Dog: My Journey with the Lewis and Clark Tribe
  • A Friendship For Today
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Will at the Battle of Gettysburg 1863 (Boys of Wartime)
  • The Big One-Oh