Start by marking “Momentary Stasis (The Rimes Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Momentary Stasis (The Rimes Trilogy, #1)

Momentary Stasis (The Rimes Trilogy #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  420 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
World peace can be deadly.

Humans discover alien technology and start colonizing worlds outside the solar system. Genetic modification produces miracles. Science advances the human condition. And, for the first time in history, the nations of the world have achieved real peace with each other.

But only the elite truly benefit from all the advancements. Most people are stil
Published October 14th 2016 by Promethean Tales
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Momentary Stasis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Momentary Stasis

Jonathan Jeffrey
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dystopian military fiction

A thought provoking thriller set in a all too plausible future where nation states have weakened and corporate powers have stepped up to match and even exceed them.
It's got everything you expect in the military sf genre: aliens (off-screen,never seen but still affecting things,better computer tech and medical tech; genetically engineered super-soldiers,etc.
It's also got characters that feel like real people with all the messiness that entails.
I'm looking forward to the
DeAnna Knippling
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Military science fiction, lots of procedural conspiracy. Full disclosure, I helped edit this some time ago. Great twists and some lovely extrapolation of technology in several fields. Reminiscent of Greg Bear's War Dogs series: if you even remotely like military or sf thrillers this book will do you well.
John
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing. The characters have depth with both positive and negative attributes. The plot is solid with realistic projections of future technology and circumstances. Highly recommended!
Darsie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. It has an ring of authenticity to it (due to the author's life experiences, I am sure). The missions are described in enormous detail and its the kind of thing that I can imagine translating to the big screen very well. There is plenty of action, explosions, (believable) scientific information and tech, and a complex plot that kept my interest from start to finish. The lead characters are well rounded and especially, Jack Rimes, is a complicated man.

The picture of the future
David North
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Military Fiction

This is my first novel from this author and I'm quite impressed. Crisp pacing and tight dialogue with distinct characters and a storyline that had to unfold, not just be handed to you. But where the author really excels is in his. Combat scenes. Thorough, logical, detailed and solidly plotted they really shine. It reminded me a lot of Tom Clancy's novels but with a scifi twist. This is a detailed book with a layered plot requiring you pay attention and is a fantastic re
Wesley Clarkson
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Storyline and Believable Characters

I !o e the mixture if military fiction and SciFi presented in this novel. All of it seemed a linear prediction of current technology and politics.
Dave Webber
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected Storyline

So don't judge a book by its cover. I thought this would be a space sci-fi combat piece. There was some, but not at all what i thought it would be. Great writing, storyline, drama, and finally space sci-fi combat. It took a lot of twists and turns, but it all meshed. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
Joe Vella
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guessed Wrong

This military scfi looks into the real life motivation many men have made throughout history. I enjoyed the super human fighters, the mystery of the who done it, and the author's ability to weave personal traits with personal conflicts. I admit on several occasions, I guessed wrong.
Mike Breeding
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I literally couldn’t put this one down.
It’s a fast moving action packed story.
It’s truly a great read.
Wow
David
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one.

I read a lot of books. This was great. I liked the characters and the story kept moving. I recommend this book to other action addicts everywhere.
Jan
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised to find characters of depth and complexity in a dark-future military sf adventure novel. This book sucked me right in and held on tight for one amazing ride. Jack Rimes globe-trots around a thoroughly-imagined future world, then ventures to the far reaches of space in his quest to secure the future for humanity--and also for the family his wife has informed him is on the way.
Bill MISKELL
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not stop reading. I love how Adams describes how characters feel. Very believable.
Bettina Bull
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read

Intrigue deluxe. Well edited. An all around good read. Enjoy this one. Sure hope this is not really our future.
Thibaldo Manrique
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good military sci-fi

If you are into light military sci-fi, this is a good book to read. Entertaining and well thought out. A good slow weekend read.
Suzanne Lavine
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining

Good character development, lots of action, liked the story line. Recommend for all sci fi readers. Fun and exciting story. Can't wait to read next in series
Roy Hayward
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Distopia with hope

I enjoyed this combination of engaging story and the conflicting motivations. Looking forward to more stories. Luckily, it's a trilogy.
Scotts Kindle
Good book

I enjoyed the story. I am not sure about the flow of the plot but in the end the trip was good. I will consider giving the next book in the series a try.
Suzi
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full of action and thrills set in 2164. world peace has finally been achieved but most of the world lives in poverty. Always rooting for the main character, Sergeant Jack Rimes. Looking forward to reading the other books in the trilogy.
James Glasgow
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Liking do the right thing Rimes

What is this earpiece thing? Anyway, Adams handles the language as a confirmed reader. His major characters complete personalities and it is a good story told to us intelligently.
Michael Wood
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very Interesting Dystopian/Noire Novel

Momentary Stasis is a great start to a new series. The protagonist is a Army Commando, a member of an assassination squad, called on by the government and the corporations that run the government to eliminate problems. Literally, he's a troubleshooter. Society, roughly a hundred years in the future, is bankrupt. Oil has all been used up, climate change has the survivors living in a new dustbowl, the last few major Depressions have destroyed small business, a
C.L.
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spacepunk Adventure

Momentary Stasis is what I'd call a mix between science fiction, steampunk, futuristic military and dystopian fiction. Adams introduces the reader to the world of the future where the elite seem to have it all...but the genetically-modified "genies" aren't keen on the way most are enslaved to the dying earth, the peace that requires absolute fealty without the option of freedom and the colonization of other worlds where hope is alive but unavailable to the majority of humanity
Mick Bird
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fast moving story

This book the first of what will be l am sure will be a interesting series. The main character is a young sergeant, who find himself facing a troubling job. He is asked to help investigate, what at first glance to be a task of finding and arresting a villain who both teams want. But the further information about him bring forward a great issue. A great read.
Joe McLean
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was far better than I expected. I acquired it as a free dowload along with several other sci-fi books from the “Discover Sci-Fi” facebook site. I’m a fan of hard science fiction that sticks with the relatively plausible, and balk at mixing sci-fi with fantasy or the supernatural. The first several freebies I read were a bit disappointing and a few of them seem to have been written by authors who must have thought “Writing sci-fi is so easy - everything’s possible so just write anything ...more
Brian Driver
A really interesting take on a dystopian future from the point of view of a front lines soldier/cop who is fighting a war that makes less and less sense with each passing day. Set in a world of genetic coding gone mad, Sergeant Jack Rimes is a top-notch warrior selected to join in against those who would stop at nothing to create an army of mutant assassins.

MOMENTARY STASIS is a great read that does not pull punches, and while the soldiers account for the tale's occasional horrific moments, it
Denzil Ernstzen
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the makings of a good read.

This was such a good thriller, politics and romance all wrapped not one. I liked the military angle to start with and then the intrigue and politics as it built to a great twist in the end. Did not see that coming to be honest.

I also liked that it is so comparable to today’s society. We seem to be seeing the writing on the wall in so many of the decisions that politicians and businesses are making today. If we don’t do something about it, it is going to be our chil
Alan G Smith
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kept me in stasis for more than a moment...

Pacy, generally well written and quite intriguing, if depressing, futuristic military, covert ops and personal dilemma story. Set in what appears to be a typically collapsing dystopian world, where at least one man continues to struggle to retains some notion of loyalty and honour in a convoluted environment of corruption and greed. Some hints of Bladerunner or more recent genetic/ artificial intelligence tales, but enough distinctiveness and action to
Julie Rice
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good enough

This was an interesting read. The plot was complex, and the characters were OK. Rimes, the main character was flushed out much more than the others. I know there are others in the series, but this will probably be the only one I read just because military fiction isn’t my favorite. It was a good enough read though.
Daniel Deitch
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read

In a future where big corporations run the word. It is up to one soldier to fight for humanity. I hope our future is better than depicted in this story that is full of surprises and adventure
Robert Read
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Future?

Too real by far. Good action and everyone should read it. I look forward to reading the next several books.
Monte
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good science fiction/war action/intelligence investigation combination. World building was good enough to keep me occupied. The pace of action was fast enough to keep me occupied. The story rolled out consistently till the end.

Enough left over questions to support a sequel.
I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. I joined the Air Force, and my career took me from coast to coast before depositing me in the St. Louis, Missouri area for several years. After a tour in Korea and a short return to the St. Louis area, I retired and moved to the greater Denver, Colorado metropolitan area.
I write speculative fiction, mostly science fiction and fantasy. My favorite writers ov
More about P.R. Adams

The Rimes Trilogy (3 books)
  • Transition of Order (The Rimes Trilogy, #2)
  • Awakening to Judgment (The Rimes Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“returned his gaze to the window and softly snorted. “Taking out four LoDu agents? Not the sort of mission I’d like to use as a learning opportunity. I’m already missing the old team.” The road was still deserted. A line of amber lamps lit a towering wall that sealed off a maze of sagging, scarred apartment buildings to the southwest. To the northeast, the wall transformed into a security tunnel and disappeared under a sickly forest. Inside the complex, a dozen uniformed” 0 likes
“The wall of the Pei Fu Complex rose four meters with pressure sensors and a meter of concertina wire lining the top. Rimes’s BAS showed the closest security guard twenty-eight meters out and moving away. Rimes looked the other team members” 0 likes