Start by marking “Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)” as Want to Read:

Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books

(Write Faster, Write Smarter #5)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  419 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Sell Books the Smart Way

Five years ago releasing a book as an indie author meant uploading it, then begging everyone you knew to buy it. That method simply doesn't work anymore. Fortunately, there's a better way.

Amazon has spent billions of dollars over the last decade building the world's best sales engine. They use machine learning to sell massive piles of books, and t
Published November 19th 2016 by Chris Fox Writes LLC

To ask other readers questions about Six Figure Author, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Figure Author

Emma Sea
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like Fox's conversational voice. I did find a large cross over in material between this book, Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells and 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter. That's reasonable, I suppose. There's no magic wand:

Write consistently
Turn out books fast (every 60 days)
Grow your mailing list/s
Know what your target reader wants and values
Go all in on KU to take advantage of Amazon's focused targeting to readers
Engage authentically with reader communities

Despite
Rhett Bruno
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I used many of his methods to launch a Space Opera Box Set. It was with a publisher, but I convinced them to pursue this method with me. What resulted was the best launch of my career. Even outside KU, priced above 99-cents at launch and published wide, focusing on the right readers has left my book on the top of it's charts for far longer than any book before. Chris definitely knows what he's doing about. It's not how many people you sell to, but who you sell to. Words to live by at a book laun ...more
M.A. Nichols
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
In many ways, this is a great book. It's got lots of solid, actionable advice, and it's written in concise, clear language that is still engaging. It's a good place for indie authors who are looking to find success in publishing.

However, I will say that it is very overpriced. It's hardly 60 pages and rehashes a lot of solid, sound advice that you can find for free on any of the dozens of podcasts out there. It really felt like it should have been bundled in with some of the other books in this s
Jennifer Gilmour
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all I want to thank the author for writing about the difficulties an author faces. This book would be recommended for new authors to read before they publish their first book but I also found a lot of the content useful as an author of two years.
I will be implementing some of the suggestions and look forward to analysing the results. When finishing the book it came to me that you need to stick at your path as an author, it’s so easy to give up and a disheartening industry. Thankfully I
Paul Sating
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lot of what I needed

Writers, you must have this in your arsenal. It contains a number of practical tools you can employ today to get your career in the right direction.
Stephanie Bibb
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading some of Chris Fox’s other marketing books, so I decided to go ahead and give Six Figure Author a try. I’m glad I did.

I think my biggest takeaway from this book was understanding the concept of how Amazon’s algorithm’s work (at the time the book was written), and why some authors are so insistent about trying to keep those algorithms clean. Chris Fox explains how Amazon can be useful for the self-published author, and what methods can help authors take the next step in impr
Jeff Willis
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third writing advice book I've read from Chris Fox and I'm hooked. I'll probably buy every writing book he publishes; each of the three I've read to this point have been full of useful information and advice, from how to analyze the market to how to optimize your own process. It's clear that Chris practices what he preaches, and it's refreshing to see someone who's so open about sharing his successes and failures for the benefit of others. This book is definitely worth your time.
Carissa
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great tips & mindset

Like his other books, Chris does a great job helping authors get their minds wrapped around this business of being an author. Now that I'm finished with my first read through, I'm starting the exercises. Looking forward to implementing some of his tips, as well as others I'm learning right how. Stellar book!
Yesenia Vargas
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Here's the info. Now to do the work.

It's that easy and that hard, apparently. Chris lays out some more amazing information for today's indie author trying to make it. He's on the cusp of what's working and what will work. He's definitely a couple steps ahead and he shows it in this book. I highly recommend it for authors.
Lucas Carlson
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some of the most important points an author can know right now

This book is critical reading for any author. Some of the most important points an author can know right now about how to market and sell your books.
Dany
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know I keep saying this about Chris Fox' Write Faster, Write Smarter book series, but man, this was incredibly useful. I learned a lot reading this and though the marketing can seem a little overwhelming at times, I'm kinda curious to start dipping my toes into the water just to see what happens. Also -- and I don't think I've mentioned that one before -- I just find Chris' writing voice to be superlikeable.
Ahmad Moshrif
I wouldn't put any Stars rating because this book is specialized for US Authors (or Amazon.com markets) Which I'm not living in any of these places.

Anyway, I like Mr. Fox for what he wrote in the series: Write Faster, Write Smarter work.

August
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy read that made me go back and buy a lot of Fox's other author how-to books. I took away one very clear directive about how to sell self-published books on Amazon, and for me, that was worth the price of the e-book.
Joseph John
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chris Fox doesn't beat around the bush. He tells you what you needs to know. Great book on advertising. A must read for new authors.
Katherine Owen
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring Resource for Writers

I have followed Chris Fox for a long while. I have not always agreed with his approach, but have come to appreciate his dedication to craft as well as the business. This particular book spoke to me. I have been struggling with writing, with the business side of book selling as well as life and the never-ending distractions (good and bad, of course) that take away from writing.

In the book, Chris puts it all together with large doses of logic and great honesty and a
Marian M.
Great advice

Chris gives clear, practical advice about building a career as an independent author. His exercises demonstrate how data works to categorize and sell books.
Dawn
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Six Figure Author, Chris Fox delivers a powerful message to his peers: You CAN make a living writing fiction, but you have to be willing to do the work. If you don't do the work, don't expect to make a living at it.

I'm sure other readers will do a better job of summarizing and analyzing Fox's latest book for authors, so I'm going to skip to my two favorite parts.

The first is the method in which Fox breaks down exactly HOW to interact with readers and build an audience aside from selling book
Amy Murphy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for the indie author

And I'm not just saying that because our books share the same box set. (Which is kinda awesome)
Fox, like my fellow indies, has become a voice of pragmatism and logic in the wild west of self-promotion. He's a success that we admire and-- better yet-- willing to share the keys to that success, as well as examination of any stumbles along the way. Lots of practical, relatable advice and tips.
Anna
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was really glad to get to borrow this instead of buy it, because the point is insightful but extremely simple. Basically, Fox asserts that it's better to focus on fewer sales at launch if those sales are pinpointed to the precise subgenre you're writing in. This keeps your also-boughts and Amazon recommendation emails streamlined so your book performs well when it shows up there, meaning the Amazon machine will recommend it more widely over time rather than less widely.
Skye Hegyes
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
While I don't agree with the write-to-market theory (if it works for you, go for it), I do love how Fox lays out a marketing plan that works for nearly anyone. He has a way of detailing things (and using examples of where it's worked) to explain himself, and it helps to see the results to know that his methods do actually work, which I've read about in other similar books, but it's nice to see the results for once.
Holli
As with the others in this series, this packs a lot of information in a short book. And yet another one I'll probably have to re-read at least once to get all of it as I know about half of it whizzed by my head without stopping. Although this one was slightly creepy in how it pointed out how many eyes Amazon seems to have everywhere.
Zach Bohannon
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another bucket of knowledge from Chris Fox

Chris hits another home run. This book is full of great tips. I love how open Chris is in listing not only things that have worked for him, but also his failures and mistakes. If you're like me and looking to take your author career to the next level, read this book.
Jennifer Willis
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chris Fox has published a number of these short-and-sweet guides to publishing success, in which he shares what has worked for him—and also where he has failed. This one is an easy, informative, and inspiring read.
Austen Rodgers
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Every book in Chris Fox's Write Faster, Write Smarter series is only a small piece of the big puzzle. As with all the other reviews I'll be writing on these, I'd strongly suggest you get ALL of the books to get the most out of it. Notice: These books are aimed towards writers and authors in the self-publishing industry. He doesn't go into traditional publishing, but his tips on writing faster are definitely a help.

Six Figure Author can, to some, be a bit taboo. Some may feel, as he's said himsel
Sekina
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before I begin reading this book, my assumption is this book will dive deeper on how Amazon algorithm works and how you can take full advantage of it without having you to game the system.

To my surprise, this book only talks about Amazon algorithm only in the first few chapters. And the rest of the book follows the usual advice about book marketing like finding where your target readers are hanging out and the dos and don'ts of email marketing.

The point of this book is to feed Amazon with the r
Christine Grabowski
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
This was a short easy read filled with lot of information for using data to help sell your books. However, it is only going to be extremely helpful for people who write like Chris Fox. The authors who will get most out of this book are:
1 - self published
2 - part of Kindle Unlimited
3 - prolific (I'm talking writing a book every 2 months)
4 - ability to target you books very narrowly - I would argue this is impossible for children's or YA since the books are often purchased by people (parents, tea
Bob Szesnat
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read with practical steps

Chris Fox does it again! Truly I love reading his nonfiction, he delivered the content in a concise way.
I would recommend this to anyone interested in becoming a writer. More importantly I would recommend it to people whom are shy of marketing.
As my headline indicated this book is practical giving you bite sized pieces to digest. There are exercises at the end of each chapter to get you moving. He also puts these exercises at the end of the book for quick refer
Mr R N Whalley
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A good book but not what the title suggests

What I expected from this book was how to use data to develop your author business and sell more books. Based on this the book was a let down. This is a shame as I do like the authors style and have other books of his. Despite the lack of statistical and data analysis in the book there are some very valid ideas. Unfortunately having been selling books for 6 years now, there wasn't anything new for me. I suspect if you don't have a lot of marketing exper
Peter
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read nearly every marketing book on Amazon and most mention or focus on the magic of BookBub.

Six Figure Author is different from most book marketing texts and the author sets forth a marketing plan that does not involve any of the promotional websites. We all know that writing books is a great form of marketing but Chris suggest a tight new release timetable to make use of Amazon's promotion in the first 60 days...something I had never thought of.

The information and exercises in this book a
Brady Cook
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Solid info

Most writing/publishing books are packed with the same garbage you can find on kboards, reddit, or any one of the four billion plus blogs out there on the same subject, just repackaged into a book for $2.99. This is one of the few books that actually takes that good advice, couples it with experience and practical exercises, and makes it worth your while. Going to pick up his next book now
By day I am an iPhone developer architecting the app used to scope Stephen Colbert’s ear. By night I am Batman. Ok maybe not. One can dream though, right?

I’ve been writing since I was six years old and started inflicting my work on others at age 18. By age 24 people stopped running away when I approached them with a new story and shortly thereafter I published my first one in the Rifter.

Wait you’r

Write Faster, Write Smarter (7 books)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter