Start by marking “The Riverbones: Stumbling After Eden in the Jungles of Suriname” as Want to Read:
The Riverbones: Stumbling After Eden in the Jungles of Suriname

The Riverbones: Stumbling After Eden in the Jungles of Suriname

A young man uncovers myth, history, and murder while searching for the soul of an unknown and magical place.

Andrew Westoll spent a year living the dream of every aspiring primatologist: following wild troops of capuchin monkeys through the remote Central Suriname Nature Reserve, the largest tract of pristine rainforest left on earth. But that was only the beginning.

Westoll
Published October 28th 2008 by Emblem Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Riverbones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riverbones

Start your review of The Riverbones: Stumbling After Eden in the Jungles of Suriname
Ryan Murdock
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Andrew Westoll spent a year as a primatologist chasing monkeys through the jungles of the Central Suriname Nature Reserve. He returned five years later as a writer obsessed with finding the secret soul of this poorly understood country.

Few outsiders have heard of Suriname, and even fewer can place it on a map. Its a surreal place a former Dutch colony, rich in resources but badly governed, home to indigenous peoples and Maroons (the descendants of escaped slaves brought from Africa), and quite
Betty
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: political, ecological disaster, amazonia
This book is difficult to describe. On the one hand, it is historic and delves into the politics and ecological problems in clear prose, but on the other hand, the author seems to show himself as self-satisfying, drunken though compassionate, irresponsible in his personal relationship, and not the type of person who would be writing this book. I found it difficult to reconcile the two.

Andrew had been to Suriname before, as part of a team of researchers working in the Central Suriname Nature
Wenzl Schollum
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel-adventure
I have been working in Suriname for nine weeks now. I bought Riverbones because it was the only English language book I could get on Suriname, even the standard travel books have very little information on this small country. It is disappointing there is no bibliography, but Westoll does mention a number of other books that I will pick up at some stage.
The book itself is a mixture of travel and unrequited love with a seemingly drunken rant about the third world thrown in, no doubt with some
Crystal
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was given this book for Christmas... my whole family was given this book by my grandfather. My family is from Suriname and so I think he was really excited to see a book about Suriname because well um you never see anything about Suriname. My family emigrated to Canada a little after my mother was born, and I've never been to Suriname... YET, so this was in a way a little way of looking at a place that is in my blood and family customs but I have never seen.

There were some parts of this book
Carol Harrison
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the book interesting, because I have only ever met one person from Suriname, and knew very little about it. It was a bit of a slog sometimes (as were the author's journeys), with lots of information interspersing the descriptions of his travels, but still interesting. Sometimes it was hard keeping track of who he was talking about--lots of names being mentioned.
Matthew Parker
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm traveling on a research trip to Suriname in two weeks, and this was recommended by the brilliant John Gimlette author of Wild Coast: Travels on South America's Untamed Edge and At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay Westoll worked as a conservationist in Suriname and became fascinated with the country. It's a highly engaging read, and he's great company as well a passionate exponent of the much-neglected rights of the indigenous population and the Maroon communities.
Adam
Feb 13, 2010
Branden Gould
May 11, 2010
Christine
rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2019
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2015

• The Stationery Shop
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • Excellent Women
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany
  • Heavy: An American Memoir
  • A Delhi Obsession: A Novel
  • Zen and Now: on the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Henry, Himself
  • Daily Rituals: How Artists Work
  • Uniform Justice (Commissario Brunetti, #12)
  • Startle and Illuminate: Carol Shields on Writing
  • The Quintland Sisters
  • My October
  • How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times
  • The Water Beetles
  • Falling Off the Map: Some Lonely Places of the World
  • Five Past Midnight in Bhopal: The Epic Story of the World's Deadliest Industrial Disaster