Start by marking “Blood Deal (Prof Croft, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood Deal (Prof Croft, #2)

Blood Deal

(Prof Croft #2)

Everson Croft here, professor of mythology and nervous as sin.

Tonights the night I tell Caroline the truth: about my feelings, my magic, everything.

So why am I surprised when Detective Vega calls me to a new case? An elusive creature is chewing up residents in a housing project run by rival gangs. One more mangled body and the place will explode into warfare.

Problem
Published October 17th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Blood Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Deal

Start your review of Blood Deal (Prof Croft, #2)
Angela
Wow, was that a great thrill ride of adventure, magic, and suspense! As usual, Everson finds himself in the middle of multiple deadlines, trying to avoid death at the hands of multiple powerful people. At his side is Detective Vega, an excellent but very strained partnership. Arnaud the vampire makes another super creepy appearance, shudder. There's the matter of Caroline, who has long held a place in Everson's heart. She becomes part of an intersecting mystery. There are plenty of injuries for ...more
Gareth Otton
In general, I try not to leave reviews for books if I have nothing but bad things to say, which is why I wasn't going to leave a review for this book. But then I realised that I read this book in one sitting and that there was a reason why I was getting angry at points. It turns out that, surprisingly, I have become really invested in this series to the point where I really want it to be good.

Suddenly, I'm looking at this book in a whole new light. It's not that it's a bad book, it's just
Christopher Ogden
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files will enjoy this character

A solid lead in the vain of the Harry Dresden books. There are so many similarities that it feels almost like a clone of the series. It may find it's own voice as it progresses.
Beefgir
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
still feels like a dresden rip off. i had hoped it would come into its own. but i will keep going.
Kendra
A much more solid read as a second book. Rough edges smoothed out, not as frenetic feeling. Thoroughly enjoyed it with all the twists and turns. Can't wait to get into the rest of the series.
Olivia
"Try another stunt like that phone call, and I'm putting you in bracelets. We are clear?"

"Tell me, Hoffman, are you always such a flirt?"

"Screw you," he said. "You're the one who looks like a fruit." I followed his glance down at my rented tuxedo, complete with cummerbund. He might have a point.

I wanted to make a note before going any further that this book, at least at the time of this review, is available on Kindle Unlimited to read for free. This was the medium I chose to read to this
Nervous Nellie Justice
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reviewed
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Okay...I'm really trying here not to compare to Dresden...really trying hard.
Is this series on the level of Dresden...No, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Caroline. Where the hell did that romance pop up? Not feeling it at all.

Everson...You Dope! Once the fog lifted you should have been able to think clearly, and make better choices.

Vega...Are you ever going to really listen to Everson?

Even when you want to smack him, he's still entertaining.
I want to follow this thread to his mother, I'm interested
Marta
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better than first book

Yes, I too am a major fan of the Dresden Files, and have noted too many similarities between the two characters and circumstances. However, there are some differences that give each series a unique flavor. Book two in this case still has Dresden overtones, but I decided to just enjoy the story. In book two, we see love thwarted, and friendships wither. The latter from an attempt to protect a friend. You will find a scary monster, but perhaps the humans are even scarier. A
Jan
I really enjoy having different urban fantasy series that have some overlapping aspects but are in different locations and with strong but really quite different protagonists. Do I love this series because of Prof Croft or because it is in NYC? Tough call that. This one is more dark side, and Croft gets beaten up a lot, but maybe that just makes him more human than some others. I really felt sorry for him, yet I can't wait for the next one. There are people in this one that were notable in the ...more
Dena
audio 3.5* This was almost a dnf for me simply because Detective Vega was such a *****. Is it really so hard to write a strong and fierce female cop who is not a total jerk to everyone? Also I was getting really tired of EVERYONE beating up on the MC--verbally and physically. I mean surely he could get a kind word or a thanks from someone! Poor guy needs to learn to fight back and call these jerks on their behavior! LOL I will give the next book a try but if there is no progress on these two ...more
Jenniferk
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good next chapter

Plenty of action and suspense. Tense storyline and a great mystery intertwining several old and new characters. More types of supernaturals are introduced and foreshadowing of the things to come.
Kat Lebo
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blood Deal, Prof Croft, Book #2
by Brad Magnarella

I'm enjoying this series. The books are paced well, with lots of action flowing easily from one scene to another. The characters are pretty consistent, there is an interesting mystery to solve with lots of red herrings to keep the reader guessing about different elements of the situation. The book is well proofed and edited. No cliffhanger ending. For the most part it is everything I like in a book of any kind. My only complaint is that the
Ursula Johnson
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brad-magnarella
A Heartbreaking Thrill Ride with Consequences

Wow, what a thrill ride in such a short amount of time. Professor Everson Crofton returns with two mysteries to solve, many twists and turns and the usual scars to prove it. While this novel is in a somewhat supernatural setting, it is a detective style mystery. I love the character of Professor Croft, a good guy trying to do the right thing. I wish he didn't get beat up so much and was more powerful as a wizard, time to let his alpha come out. All
Donna
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars
I enjoyed this volume more than the first book. I'm guessing that the author is finding his stride in writing this series. This had a lot of interesting twists and turns and introduced several new characters. He discovers that the three punk rockers he met in book one are in reality vampire hunters. There is a vampire/werewolf hybrid creating havoc in low income housing and Croft is recruited by Detective Vega as a consultant. This is complicated by him being ordered to not
Elizabeth Meadows
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lonely man and magician saves New York.

Blood Deal, Book 2 in the Professor Croft series, by Brad Magnarella is a teasing tale about the main character's past and future as a magic crime fighter and lonely man living in New York. A revolving cast of women and supernatural creatures complicate his life. I've become hooked on yet another urban fantasy series. Book 3, here I come.
P.G. Challis
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this whilst on holiday as an eBook. My wife had read the series and said I'd enjoy them. I have to say, I really did! I read the first two and a half books whilst away and will finish the rest. The stories are easy to read and gets you into the fray quickly, which is refreshing. The characters are well written, although I could have done with less magic "words", but that's just my personal preference.

I look forward to finishing the novels and for future books.
Frank Bertino
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Love Lost?

What a gripping read. Everson loves Caroline and wants to tell her about his magical self. Emergencies jump up all the time and prevent him from doing so. Why is Arnaud the vampire pulling his and Vega's strings? What is going on at the projects? Who or what is the murderer? I like the action, humor, and romance. I look forward to the next book.
Robert P.
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
The universe is mildly interesting. However, the protagonist is a whiny, undisciplined, lying little snot whose inability to act like an adult should have gotten him killed years ago, but instead just gets his friends into danger.

This book seems to take place almost immediately after book 1, so there isn't even any time for this child grown older to have figured out how to be a man.
Rene Averett
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and well-crafted

This book has all the elements you want in a supernatural thriller. It hooked me from the beginning and kept yanking me along each page like magic. Twists, mystery, and a reveal that surprised me made this a very satisfying read. Moving on to the next one in the series.
Cryogenic Fire
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better

I enjoyed the first book and this one is better. The main characters are developing nicely, the plots have nice placing and there are some interesting incidental characters that recur. All in all I'd recommend the series.
Leon
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wizard in New York

These books ( the first and this one) bear more than a passing resemblance to the Dresden Files. Though I feel the latter is a better series this has been an entertaining series so far and I have no hesitation to recommend it.
John
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Both books are awesome

Thank you for opening an awesome world of magic and suspence . I also enjoy your new series blue wolf and how you introduced Professor Croft. He is more advanced and seems more comfortable in his skin by then. Thank you again.
C. Scudder Mead
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not for me...

I really don't care for wimpy heroes and the Prof spends an inordinate amount of time getting the cheap beat out of him. Though well written it's just not for me. I never liked Jerry Lewis movies either for the same reason.
Daniel
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Could not bring myself to finish this book.
It was just one thing after another that kept happening, to the point of not believing the hero of this book wouldn't have just hung up his cape and say "F" it! It was exhausting to read and completely unbelievable based on the previous books.
John Colley
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good

Glad I took a punt on these despite the less than stellar reviews of the first book. This was even better with two entwined plot lines. I do hope Vega forgives him as I like their dynamic. Off to get the next book.
claudia ruddy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun

This was a great read ! A little easier to follow if you read vol 1 but does stand complete. Hero is faced with multiple foes but stands staunch. Sympathetic characters and lots of action.
Rich
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And the saga continues

So as I read book two of this amazing series i can't help but get invested in the ever growing world. We meet several new characters, my favorite of which is Bastet. Now I journey onward to book 3!
Tameka
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Danielle Barnes
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read

Yes, it follows The Dresden Files in terms of character and some other similarities, with that being said, I was not disappointed in this book. I see a growth in the storyline that definitely leaves me wanting more.
« previous 1 3 next »
Casual homophobia 1 4 Jan 11, 2017 09:38AM

• Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Dark Glass (Montague & Strong Case Files #11)
  • Druid's Due (Colin McCool, #8)
  • Druid Mystic (Colin McCool #10)
  • Druid Vengeance (Colin McCool #7)
  • The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • Blood is Thicker (Montague & Strong Case Files #3)
  • Moonlight Druid (Colin McCool #3)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
  • Carnage (The Temple Chronicles #14)
  • Reaping Wind (Montague & Strong Case Files #9)
  • Full Moon Howl (Montague & Strong Case Files #2)
  • Druid Enforcer (Colin McCool #6)
  • Dragons & Demigods (Montague & Strong Case Files #6)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (Montague & Strong Case Files #8)
  • Silver Clouds Dirty Sky (Montague & Strong Case Files #4)
  • Blood Ascension (Rule of The Council #1)
  • Blood Betrayal (Rule of the Council #2)
Brad Magnarella writes urban fantasy for the same reason most read it - to explore worlds where vampires and shifters walk city streets, magic crackles from fingertips, and the faerie realm is only a wish, curse, or seductive kiss away. It's shamelessly fun.

A child of the '80s, Brad enjoyed a steady diet of comic books, D&D, epic fantasy, and Stephen King, which conditioned his young mind for

Prof Croft (8 books)
  • Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)
  • Purge City (Prof Croft, #3)
  • Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)
  • Black Luck (Prof Croft #5)
  • Power Game (Prof Croft #6)
  • Druid Bond (Prof Croft #7)
  • Night Rune (Prof Croft #8)